Scottish Runners

Comments

• You are holding the fort here birkmyre!

• Morning

Off out with Geordie soon.

575: Cheersimage

• remohremoh ✭✭✭

Hello all been a long time image anyway been a good year so far compared to 2013, the Highland Fling, WHW and the DOTH all completed image and one more ultra the JLMRS50 a week tomorrow to do and not much planned after that, oh wait the Glencoe Marathon and that means up the Devils staircase again D'OH !!!!!!!! image happy running folks image

• Nothing wrong with the Devil's Staircase remoh, gives a nice chance to walk and admire the stunning view!

• Morning

More to catch up on.

• Hi all, gosh it has been quiet. I spent Saturday have a terrible run whilst doing a reccie of the one section of the new Great Trossachs Path that I had not covered. Got lost missing a turn off and popped out further up the Dukes Pass than I should have so then had a hair rasing run down about a half mile section of it to get back on track. Legs were not great so the planned extra loop round ther trails at Loch Lubnaig did not happen.

Beginning to have a bit of a re-think re the ultra on that path. It would of course help of the woodands trust actually way marked it. The start and finish logisitics are tricky and there is a section of the path that runs through the middle of a farm, which is fine as long as the farmer is happy to have 75 - 100 runners barrelling through.

Was relieved to realise that it is 4 weeks to Glenmore 24 and not 3 as I thought, so can hopefully get a decent long run in as I have not managed anything particulalry long since GGU.

Here is my blog entry for the Baton Relay

• Morning

Off out for 35mins steady. Just to stretch the legs

Back later

• You are holding the fort here birkmyre!

• Every time I log in here on my tablet after a break an old message reposts itself. There must be a ghost in the machine image.

• Though it still appears to be largely birkmyre holding the fort...

• Evening from the Fortimage

Working from midnight till 7am tomorrow at Mail Centre. Shifts are back on.

Well done to Jo Pavey, what a Gold in 10000mimage

• Brilliant run by Joe Pavey image Just shows what the 'older' athlete is capable of image

My training all over the place between work and a slow recovery from GGU. It was great to realise that I had an 'extra' week before the G24.

So tired and hungry last night when i got home from Edinburgh that I did not train. Got up sharpish this morning though to get a weights session in and will run this evening. Working inGlasgow today and tomorrow.

Tomorrow, I have my first altitude session. It will test me out at rest. next will will have me walking about and being mildly active and the 3rd session will introduce running. So happy to have been able to get these sessions thanks to Glasgow Uni.

• A'noon

ffb: Good to have somebody back along with  575 and selfimage

• Does any have (or know of someone with) an entry (or two) for the Crathes HM that they can't use? If so, could be interested in purchasing for transfer.

We'll be passing through Aberdeen that day and it would be good to get a race in

Thanks

• Sorry , have been neglecting the place too, due to my lack of any running of consequence. Have however been wondering how TP got on at the weekend - anyone know?

Altitude session sounds interesting FFB, how do they do that? Have only ever been to about 11-12000 feet but walking not running, seemed to be OK but I believe it's a very variable thing with no relationship to general fitness.

Finally seem to be making some progress but have reluctantly decided that local HM this weekend would be a bad idea, managed 10 m at the weekend with no ill effects but don't want to be back not running again for weeks. Hoping to do Bisgeos 12 m run in a fortnight instead.
  • Morning

Elspeth: Wasn't pulling you up for neglecting the placeimage

• Hi Elspeth. Got the chance for some training so went for it as I have never really been at altitude. They create the required 'gas' mix and then I put on a nose plug and a mouthpiece in and beathe the gas.

Did an at rest session today and did 30 mins breathing 'air' the equivalent of 14k feet, so about 11% ogygen. All went well with no ill effects. RHR was 59 dropping to 54 breathing room air before the gas was turned on, and my oxygen saturation level was 97%. Once on the low oxygen the saturation levels dropped quicky but settled and th lowest it went was 77%. The highest my RHR went to was 70. Within 3 mins of going back to room air my saturation was back up to 98% and my RHR down to 45.image

Next session I will be walking. He was going to do 2 sessions at rest, but I handled it so well today that he decided just to get started on the exercise.

Tee hee: EPO the legal way image

• Worked at the Team Scotland athletes parade today.

Bit tired now.

• How was the parade from your viewpoint BM?

Nairn Half for me this weekend. While the town goes crazy for Highland Games Day. Don't envy my wife being on call for our little A and E dept.

• Sorry I've been neglecting you all- tring to build up towards the CS40, - 3hrs recce run in the course last weeekend, and a couple of other 2 hr runs this week. Am going to try to regularly do the home- erskine bridge- loch humprey run between now and the fling, which has been my target race for several months now- CS40 and glen ogle are good races on the way to that, but as I've accidentally arranged to be on a transtlantic flight 2 days befor eCS 40, I suspect it will be a case of pure survival!

• Fascinating ffb. I've been over 16,000 ft during the day in the Peruvian Andes and that was ok but one night I had to sleep at 12,000 ft and I could barely breath and didn't sleep a wink.

• Morning

575: I was at Kelvingrove all day Friday, so I saw all the build up, so that was quite good. All the best with your Half.

Long shift yesterday at Glasgow Green at World Pipe Band Championships meant I never got on here.

• Tricialitt, you don't seem to have much luck with the CS40. Hopefully it will be fine and also GO33.

Missed the athletes parade cos I got summoned to Edinburgh for the day after arranging to be in Glasgow image

Cracking long run for me yesterday: 21 miles 3:51. Can't remember the last time I did a training 20 in under 4 hrs image Taper now for Glenmore 24.

• My daughter was in Nairn yesterday and saw the half - one on my to do list some day - how did it go 57.5.

The forecast heavy wind and rain for Kirkwall half haven't arrived yet!

Good running FFB and Tricia, can't remember my last long run!

BM - you're busy at the minute!

Where's TP - hopefully on holiday, need to hear how her 100 went!
  • With regards to the CS40 - hopefully someone can give a bit of insight for a 1st timer....

I think I know the route, but I'm a little sketchy about the section between Uddingston and Strathy Park. Is it well enough marshalled to just turn up on race day or is it worth getting up there to learn the route beforehand?

Also, do they take drop bags to the check points for you?

Cheers.image

• kennyan- the marshalling at CS 40 is thin between chekpoints, but there are yellow CS40 arrows on  a fair number of relevant turn points. I think the most confusing bit us CP 1-2 , especially through the woods near Bothwell, and also closer to the end shortly after CP 3 , where youare beginnig to doubt your sanity, and are running on paths that aren't so easily marked.

Recc'ing is a good idea if you can. The instructions on the race website are pretty clear.

Drop bags- yes , they take them for you, They are loaded into 3 separate car boots at the start point, and taken along for you- you won't necessarly get them back at th end, though.

Checkpoints have water, but I don't remember whether there is anything else provided (except that, being a back marker,  Iwas being offered the bits and pieces that other runners had decided not to use!)

Legs VERY tired today, after hilly run on thurday, and 11 miles to collect car from work yesterday- think I will go out for a gentle flat trundle along the canal.

• Trica, cheers that's very useful info. image

I think I'll head up to Uddingston on the train next week and make sure I'm in no doubt about where to go from there. The last  thing that you need is to be unsure.

Thanks.

• Elspeth came back fro injury to take veteran lady's shield at Kirkwall HM image

stayed dry for race although I got soaked running down for registration image

Well done at Nairn half 57.5