Sub 3h15

Comments

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

GUL- welcome back imagemissed those Gul o clock updates , not long now.

Congrats to all the students and proud parents, must seem worth all the effort now image

After 13 days of I chanced a 3 miler this morn which went ok, hopefully on the mend again image There is a half mara I've done this last 3 years in 1 months time but the price doubles after the 20th so I need to decide if I'm in or out soon, last race of the year .image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Welcome back Gul.

Ouch, but could have been worse if you are still OK to run.

Rest day here...image

• Hola from Extremadura, the part of Spain that the conquistadors came from. Cold in the winter, hot and dry in the summer - accoding to the signs, it was still about 29 degrees at 11.00 last night. Stayed last night just south of Trujillo (home of Pizarro) after a few days a bit further north in the hills in Castilla y Leon. 

Fortunately the temperature isn't too bad first thing so I've managed to get out for a run most mornings, including a couple with younger Lorenzito and one with Mrs L. Some very strange looks from people as I suspect cycling is more popular than running around here. Nothing spectacular in terms of mileage: 5 or 6 mile steady runs but it's nice to get back into the swing of things and try and work off the food from the day before!!

Poacher - hope you're feeling OK; sounds unpleasant. In answer to your question, I'm 99% there. I've had a verbal yes (well, a "go on then") so just need to sort out logistics. Will look back on your recommendations and make a booking. I presume that there won't be a problem actually getting a place in the race when enitrites open.

Minni, MsE - how are your Comrades plans coming along?

Gul - good to heat that you've made it back safely. Which part of France did you go to?

GM - good racing. Ditto Lit - cracking farewell performance.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

quick read back reveals nice late session by VTr - no shouts of "great jahhhb", then ? image 
    congrats to the "A" level achievers, top racing & cycling marrows, Lit (cake sounds good) 
    satisfying outing for Gerard, and hopefully Leslie on the upward trajectory  . . .
    welcome back, Gul, and narrow escape, Poacher    

intended 21 today with 2 laps of 10.5, but my pal and I were quicker than forecast on lap 1, so added 1.5 whilst waiting for our lap 2 companions to arrive; hence 22.5 for the diary. Pleased with that, as my weekly 12 mile  "combo" session with park 800's and longer road efforts was on Thurs rather than Wed this week.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

17:57 at a windy parkrun this morning got me 5th place- that's 3 * sub 18's in a row which is a first for me. Meanwhile junior OO made a return after her foot injury to finish 4th lady in 21 minutes. About a minute down on her best but still well ahead of her 2 big sisters who made a rare appearance in a family affair.

GNR in 3 weeks image

Cracking effort there Birch, and very jealous of your location Lorenzo.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Lorenzo- nice warm weather training .

Birch-22.5 that's a proper run image

00-51-that's good going .image

My return was more short-lived than expected , went to Physio yesterday about my dodgy knee and I'm banned from running for 2 weeks image and given stretches to do as my flexibility is very poor which may be connected to my knee problem.

3 miles for the week image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Gul! Nice Long run Birch. OO super hat trick of sub 18's. Leslie sorry to hear of your Woe's. Hola Lorenzo. Who would have thought been put under general anaesthetic and having a slice of your flesh removesd would be a relaxing and pleasant experience.? Well, as I came around I was lying there in my room with a seaview I might add listening to Debussy's Clair de Lune it was just what the doctor ordered. Now for some R&R! Zzzz
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - you must be really frustrated.

Lorenzo - I was in Brittany, just west of Quimper, so a lot cooler than where you are!

Birch - you have put together some excellent training. Only 7 weeks to Mable now!

OO - nice park run.

GM - hope the op helps the running.

Did an easy 12 miler yesterday morning. Should have been more but not used to waking up so early yet! Rest today and then I really need to start upping the mileage.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Leslie: dammit. That's not great news. Hope the physio is being overly pessimistic.

Nice parkrun again, OO.

Hope you recover quickly from the op, GO.

Welcome back, Gul.

20 for me to round off the week. Paces for LSRs gradually improving: last 3 have been 8.27, 8.17 and 8.05. Phew!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Better than me Joolska, 16 at 8:15 pace rounding off a 42 week. Blowing a gale here, not much fun at all...

• Good to see the long running picking up again

Rest well Leslie, hope it works....

Excellent hat-trick OO. Superb consistency and an admirable norm. 

3 hilly hours on the bike yesterday followed by an exam celebration blow-out meal. I've never felt so fat. 15 mile purge run today consisting of 5mile easy then 5x (1mile at 6:35mm, 1mile at 7:50mm) for 15 total and 37 for the week which is my biggest run week for a while. It has certainly contained more quality than any single week in the past couple of years.  Enjoying it.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - entries open Sept 1 - sign up online - may need to fork out for a Championchip too.   You do have to formally qualify but can do this up to a month or so before race day. Worth getting the best seeding you can.  Conveniently, sub 3-20 in London would get B seeding which is fine.

Flights: obvious route is London - Joburg - Durbs...worth checking whether its better/cheaper via Paris or Schipol though. The alternative is UK - Dubai - Durbs on Emirates.

Oh, and practice running up very long painful hills. And down very long painful hills.

• Today's half marathon in Tipperary wasn't my quickest ever, but it was certainly my most aesthetically pleasing result.  1:38.38 is such a cute little number, I'm tempted to dim the lights and subtly ask for its phone number.

As with pretty much everything else in Ireland, this event was somehow much more relaxed and enjoyable than its English counterparts.  Well, apart from the beefy young man who took off his vest and sprinted past me, flexing his muscles.  That was quite annoying.  But everything else was hunky-dory.

Two months ago I laboured to a 1:45 in Freckleton and felt exhausted by the end.  Well, in truth, I felt exhausted long before the end and the final few miles were a terrible grind.  But today was comfortable and as I crossed the finish line I felt as though I could go back and do it all again.  I couldn't have, of course.  I was just being all giddy, trying to impress my 1:38.38 date.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Like ^  image

Yo folks.

Comrades:  I can't think about it until I have the results of my MRI scans back.  Second one booked for Tuesday, and Arthrogram to be precise, where dye is injected directly into the joint prior to scanning... image

So, with this coming up I decided I might as well do a full week of training.  This consisted of 6m on Tue, 4m on Wed with strides, 6m on Friday, 6m on Sat including parkrun (2nd lady and first old lady but very slow!) and finished the week of with a 20 today.  Result?  Flipping hip feels better than it has done in weeks!  WFT?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good news Minni, blimey 20 miles.....

TAR, you are right that time has symetry, very well done to you

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Jools - good LSR bagged.
    OO - it was supposed to be windy here too, but never materialised.
    SJ - some good sessions d&d this week - or last week.
    TAR - good improvement - you sound suitably chuffed.
    Minni - that's great - just be careful!
    Managed to wake up in good time for 10 slow miles this morning.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Back this morning from 2 contrasting hols. 1 week in beautiful South Lakeland officially becoming an in law (!) & then getting in some good walks & runs. The next in scorching Gran Canaria. Got some great runs in there too, 6-7 miles each morning along the sea front. Brilliant. Had good read back, so well done to all A levellers. 

Gull - welcome back. glad to hear you had good hols too. 

Leslie - not great news for you. Are you able to bike or do any other sort of x training?

OO - great consistency there with the 5ks. Nice family running too. 

Lorenzo - looks like you're getting in some good hot weather running. There's nothing like it!

Birch - 22.5 is super long! Nice weekly block of training there. 

Gerard - R&R sounds about right. Recover well. 

Jools - Good progression with your 20 milers. 

Slokey - nice biking & solid long speed session. Great quality. 

TAR - exciting finish & great matching time. 7 minutes quicker & feeling fresh & giddy (!) can't be bad. 

Minni - good news on the hip. I've had similar odd experiences with knee injuries. Where more training seems to improve the situation. Be careful though. 

After 2+ weeks of just running I was pleased to be back on my trusty steed today for some early morning biking 

• SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭

Been lurking on this thread for a while so thought I would pipe up and say hi. 

I started running "properly" in late 2011 after basically doing very little sport other than cycle commuting.

I've gradually been building up the mileage with various 5Ks to HMs and then a Marathon in Dublin last October (3:22:59). I'm doing Chester in October and hoping for a 3:15 but difficult to know what shape I'm in at the moment.

Last proper race was Liverpool Rock n Roll HM in May in 90:54, off interrupted training.

I've been averaging 55mpw for the past month with all easy running except the odd 5m or 6m HMP to MP effort on a Tuesday (6:55 to 7:15). I typically take a 5m with my wife at around 9:10 pace in the morning, and then a couple of times a week either run to work after that or run home (easy run then would be 7:55 to 8:15 or thereabouts). I'm training my wife up for Chester too - she's targeting sub 4 so it helps me keep the "recovery" runs slow.

Before that training was patchy due to a stressful house move / renovation, so more like 25 mpw to 45 mpw depending on what was on that week.

Long term goal is to enjoy running 10k, HM and the odd marathon as competitively as possible within the bounds of normal life! - ideally to be consistent GFA shape (as a 30 year old that's 3:05). After the marathon in October I'm hoping I can settle into a good consistent base of at least 50mpw for the winter and aim for sub 90 min HM and sub 40 min 10ks.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Tar- good round numbers image

Minni- nice accidental 20 miler, goodluck with the scans.

Gul- nice 10

seDAN - good for age is a good goal .

Fishy- change to biking is as good as a rest. Biking makes my knee worse and I've been told walking only for now to see what difference the stretches makes without running constantly hurting my knee .Knee Tendon snapping and ending up at my hip was mentioned but I think it was a scare tactic to get me to do as asked image 2 weeks will soon pass been sick the last 4 anyway image and it was agreed id run again after 2 weeks no matter what image

Will be losing a lot of fitness if this keeps up..

• Sounds painful Leslie!

Welcome SEdan, you've come to the right place then....

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Welcome SEdan, sounds like you are on a good path- stick around and you'll be in good company. Lots of morivation and good advice here.

Rest day here, hoping for solid week before I go off on holiday... 

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Well, I missed a few days and have fallen quite behind all the goings on here! Lots of great racing and training though.

OO I want some of that speed and consistency!

Leslie, you are getting hit left and right. The sun must be close to re-emerging soon!

SJ, great running there. High quality stuff.

Joolsky, the 20s are falling (in pace) nicely.

Gul, welcome back!

Birch, no nice job shouts. Teenagers...hopelessly crude. You must be made of steel by now w/all those 20+ mile runs in the bank and some nice speed work to boot.

GM, convalesce well. Glad it was such a pleasant repair!

TAR, nice wooingimage and great effort on the 13.1 too!

Minni, good karma can just show up sometimes. Hopefully a sign of positive things to come.

Fishy, welcome back to you as well. Glad you were reunited with the beloved bike.

Sedan, hello and welcome. SOme pretty good goals there and seems you have the chops to pull them off. Lots of speedy folks here w/great advice.

Abbers, hope the MRI does show something in thereimage. And some good speedy miles too. Bet they felt good.

Poacher, sorry to hear about the car accident. Nice adrenaline shot there of the marathon course.

Last week was 60M. Got a second 13 mile w/10 at subLT session in Friday. Was pretty good at 6:55 m/m for 80% maxHR averages (HR did climb a bit in last 3 miles). Definitely a bit tired in the last couple though. Leslie, most of my marathons end up at 83-85% HR ave so these technically are MP sessions. But in practice, I tend to run about 20-30 seconds slower per mile on the race day (nerves/adrenaline/not tapered enough??). We'll see if that changes this time around. Sunday was 20M P&D style (good for 8:08 m/m at 68% MHR). Felt great until last 4 miles and then the week's work caught up to me. But good mimic of end of marathon feeling.

Other cool finding is a new pair of shoes. Normally wear the Nimbus...bought some Hoka Clifton's. The Hoka's are about 4 oz lighter and man do they feel great. Did a couple of recovery runs in them w/out issue. This week will try a subLT effort in them. Could be a big speed boost if I could race the marathon in them. But am cautious as don't want to get hurt...

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Fishy - welcome back - sounds like some good hols.
    SEdan - welcome to the thread - pleased you decided to de-lurk. Good luck with your sub 3:15 attempt in October.
    VTr - another good week.
    8 slow miles d&d.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

SEdan - nice to see you de-lurking. As above, you're in the right place. Also looks like you're putting in good mileage for sub 3:15.

Leslie - That tendon snapping warning would certainly scare me into not running! Which tendon is causing the problem? Hope the walking and stretching works for you.

VTr - 60 miles of quality training must be very satisfying for you. I'll be interested to read about your Hoka exploits. I tried a pair a few weeks ago, but found them a bit tight across the top of my feet - amazing cushioning though.

7 this morning. 1 mile easy, 5 MP, 1 mile easy.

• I run with Hokas. Love em. Mine were tight at first too but they are well broken in now.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Gul - glad you enjoyed your hols and good running since you've been back.

Lorenzo - well done on getting a pass for Comrades! Sounds like you're enjoying your hols too.

Birch & Jools - good 20+ milers

OO - nice family results at the parkrun, and backed up with a 16.

Leslie - a common diagnosis for runners I think; not many of us are very supple.

GM - hope your post-op recovery is going well.

SJ - impressive biking/running/eating exploits.

TAR - good solid HM at Tipperary.

Minni - glad your hip allowed you to get a solid week of training done. Good luck with the next MRI; hope you get some answers.

Fishy - congrats on becoming an in-law. Sounds like a good couple of weeks.

SEdan - welcome. You sound well equipped to reach your goals.

VTR - building nicely. No news from the consultant, so I'm assuming that's good news!

Cricket on Saturday left me with a sore/tight right Achilles that didn't want to know about any kind of exercise on Sunday. Went for an easy 7 yesterday, and it grumbled, and a short(ish) interval session today of 5 miles including 4x800 (3:08, 3:06, 3:02, 3:02), which it wasn't very happy about either. Doesn't stop me running, just stiff & sore. Annoying. Physically, I'm quite glad there're only 2 weeks left of our league season! Seem to get a lot more injuries/issues these days from playing cricket than I do from running.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Hi all! Post op recovery going well here. Bit sore and tender but that was to be expected. Off work for a week so gives me time to chill and get stuff sorted this end.

A friend and fellow Jersey runner had a brilliant race in IM North America on Sunday. He finished 2nd in 8:3x and got his elite qualifier for Kona. Another local chap won his age group in IMUK and finished in under 10hrs so that's his Kona place sorted too. These guys are machines. Kona looks awesome but don't fancy that marathon even in a marathon itself.

Just had a quick read back.

Leslie - Sorry to hear that.

Gul - Normal training resumed. Are you decided on Mablethorpe yet?

TAR - Well done on your half. Yes Ireland is a relaxed and fun place to race and be generally.

Abbers - Did you say you were aiming for a half soon?

Poacher - Je$u$ man, hope you're alright.

SJ - You sound in good form.

Minni - Love the way you casually knock out a 20 miler!image

Jools - The LSR's seem to be getting easier now.

VTR - Nice mileage you are doing. That's the kind of mileage I hope to be doing next year.

SeDan - Welcome and sounds like you have come to the right place.

Fishy - Welcome back too, I used to live out in GC, nice place to train and live.

OO - Hope your week of training goes to plan before you head off on holiday. Going anywhere nice?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Rapallo on the Italian Riviera GM for our holiday.

Double helpings today with a 6 and 5 miles, nothing flash, 8min/mile avg.

Abbers, I;m sure running and cricket and a rare and challenging combo.   

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

OO - Enjoy the Riviera. It sounds a beautiful place for your hols.

Gerard - Glad your recovery continues and nice to be chilling. GC is definitely my favourite holiday destination and not just for the sun, sand and sea. Only a few miles inland and you're on brilliant mountain trails. Mrs. F1 and I enjoyed two 8 mile treks during the week.

Abbers - Watch those cricket injuries! I used to get similar problems mixing squash and running. Yes...being a father in law makes me feel older and more responsible than I really want to be - the wedding was brilliant, a truly memorable day.

Slokey - Which Hokas do you run in?

• Stinson Tarmac (I think) - they aren't as cushioned as some of the others but are quite different to 'normal' shoes.

Have a good time OO. We are flying out on Thursday morning for a week sans kids in Sorrento! Weather is looking toasty so I've packed my running vests image