Just a Little Bit Further - 2014

Comments

• Morning

Jude well done on the long run

DJ hope your cat is recovering. 

I have had a nice long run this morning and we are going to go walking too today

• Morning All

A big warm welcome to LEGS78 image You will get good advice on here and we are all a very friendly bunch image I am doing a Half marathon the same weekend as you but in LISBON image

Deejay Aw your poor wee cat I do hope he gets better soon. What a cost you had to pay but they are part of the family and hate to see them hurting. Hope you get out a run today.

Jude Wow that is a long run Sometimes nice not to take the garmin and just run but Somehow I never seem to do that...lol

Mathschick You have got your run in early. Enjoy your walk. Looks like your having a fabby holiday

Chilli Well done on your 100th Parkrun image

Speed session for me yesterday and gym work. 5 mile run this morning and hope to do around 10 miles tomorrow.

Have a good day everyone image

• Hi all

The walk turned out to be much tougher than i had anticipated- around 10 miles and a big chunk of that was downhill steeply. Amazingly the kids didn't moan. I found it tough going but them I had run too! Amazing views of snow capped Alps including the Eiger. 

• Hi all

Thanks for the warm welcome I can confirm I am a man despite the wife sayin I have chosen a womans name on here. Anyways went for a run yesterday at the mo only goin out every other day and building slowly
  • Welcome Legs. And you are very wise. Starting out with every other day and building up slowly will help protect you from injury.

MC - sounds like you are having a wonderful holiday 

2hr run sounds great Jude. I'm looking forward to getting back to long runs in the autumn.

Last night I took my Big Girl out for a late 5k run just before bedtime. We had some old friends visiting from a distance away and once they left I could tell that she needed to run off some of the excess jumpiness and tension from the day. Apparently her friend had been talking about boyfriends the whole day, which my 12yr old has no interest in at all, thank goodness. I have three daughters just starting puberty and I'm not sure how I'm going to cope! image

• Morning all!

We have internet - yippee!

Chili - In spite of a boy being very interested in her last year, no real interest in boys from my daughter either. But, generally all that stuff happens later here (thank goodness).

MC - Sounds like a really active holiday. Better than sitting on a beach all day. Enjoy!

Franny - Enjoy your 10 miles!

Legs - Keep up the good work. Half marathons are a great distance, my favourite (although I haven't done one for a long time.)

Hi everybody else! Going swimming after work today.

• Afternoon image

Chilli I don't envy you with 3 girls going through puberty. 12 is much too young for boyfriends but sadly it seems more the norm for some girls. Think I was still playing with my dolls then Ha ha.....good you had a nice 5k run.

Jude Enjoy your after work swim

Mathschick Hope your knees are ok after the downhill walk

Legs 78 As Chilli says good to build up with every second day.

10 miles for me this morning Probably the longest I have done for a while but felt good.

Hope everyone is having a good day image

• Hi everyone,sorry I haven't been around much,and missed a couple of songs of the day.I've had a few worries with my cat being poorly,and also some issues with the sale of my parents old home to deal with.It has been  very stressful week.

As a result I've felt a bit under the weather,and I haven't had the energy to go for a run,as I have not been sleeping well.When I'm stressed or worried I find I make excuses not to go running.I hope I feel a bit better in a day or so,and i'll try and get out for a run on Friday.

My cat is a little better and managed to go to the toilet properly today,so hopefully is on the mend.

Tomorrows tune is a dance tune.It is Disclosure ft Eliza Doolittle and ''You And Me''. 

• Evening all

DJ sorry to hear about your cat and other worries. It might be worth just going for a little walk and getting some fresh air if you don't feel like running. 

We have had a few great days walking and my knees are holding up image

Just discovered giving a 13 year old 5 Swiss francs to get an ice cream and expecting some change was a bit optimistic! He managed to spend it all. For the first time ever we are getting a bit of time without kids on holiday. Now they are older we are letting them walk back to the apartment without us so we can have a quiet coffee. We are staying in a small Alpine village and there is a safe walking route and it isn't far at all so I don't need to worry about them which is so nice for a change.

• Morning

Aw Deejay Read about your poor wee cat on FB but so pleased he is on the mend now. Good that you got out for a 4 miler I see too Well done and faster than before SUPER DUPER

Mathschick Sounds a lovely place where you are and its great you an hubby are getting some together time.

Well I am going to Parkrun in a bit. Not been in a while so will see how these old legs stand up to a bit of speed image

Bye for now

Have a good weekend

• Afternoon all!

MC - Glad you are enjoying your holiday and the knees are holding up.

Franny - hope park run was fun and you managed a speedy time.

DJ - Glad to hear your cat is feeling a bit better. Hope you got out for a run yesterday or today.

Hi everybody else!

Well, I got up extra early so I could get a long run in before it got too hot and I managed 13.5 miles.  The longest run for me in a very long while. Then I took the kids to an open air pool for some fun in the sun. Five hours later we came home to a huge bunch of flowers from hubby as it's our 17th anniversary today (and to make up for no birthday present!). He's also taking me to the cinema tonight if we can find a good film, so I suppose he is forgiven. Just hope I can stay awake after my busy day.

Hope you are all having a nice weekend. It's bloomin hot here......image

• Happy anniversary Jude. Hope you have a lovely evening and manage to stray awake in the cinema. Well done on the run

• Hi all. I guess I've missed a few days of posting songs,but it has been a busy week with one thing and another.

My cat is much improved,and we let him outside for the first time today.So far he seems to be coping well,and even managed to jump on top of the shed.He is eating well,and looking much happier.

As Franny mentioned,I finally felt up to a run yesterday for a 4 mile run.I really had to force myself out of the door though.Once I got into my stride I really enjoyed it,and I was 20 seconds faster than my last run a week ago,so I haven't lost any fitness.I was really happy,but I did suffer from another migraine within 20 minutes of finishing,which has happened 4 times in recent weeks.I have tried to make sure I am fuelled up and hydrated before I run recently,but it still happens.Hopefully it will settle down.I'm not going to let it stop me training.

I was very inspired by an interview Jo Pavey gave on BBC Sport today.She described how for the first few months of her return to training,she was very slow,and despite trying didn't seem to be improving much from week to week.And then there was a small improvement,and suddenly it all started to come together.I have been in a similar situation since I came back from my injuries,and I feel I'm slowly beginning to see signs of improvement after months of struggling.Hopefully I can get back to where I was,just as she has.

Franny,I hope you enjoy your Parkrun.Especially after your long run.A good mix of training.

MC,Your holiday sounds great.It looks like a wonderful place.I hope the weather has been kind to you in Switzerland.I have been watching the athletics from Zurich,and they have had some very cold wet and windy weather at times there.

Chili,it's great you can go running with your daughter.It is something to bond over.

Jude,I hope you have a lovely anniversary.Well done on a really long run.

Today's tune is an old one that wasn't a hit,but I really liked it.It is the debut single from China Crisis, ''African And White'' which came out back in 1982.

• DJ - yeah the weather hasn't been as good as we expected apparently it is the worst summer people can remember here. We have had some good weather as well though so not a total washout. Hasn't been good enough to spend a day at the lake swimming and chilling though which is a shame

• Morning!

I made a chocolate orange swirl cake last night. Anyone fancy a cuppa and a slice of cake?

I'm 39 and despite the running/cycling/ eating very well, my middle is spreading. Muffin top jeans is not an attractive look, so I have yesterday I did my first HIIT session. My number 3 daughter (who isn't particularly interested in running) did it with me and she is in better shape than I am this morning! 20-30 mins of HIIT is awfully hard work and I'm not sure I have enough self-discipline to do it 3/4 times a week. Going out for a slow run is much more appealing!

• Afternoon

Just a quickie before I set off for work

Chilli  I love HIIT sessions..they are my favourite along with long runs too.Well done

Deejay You will get there Shame about your migraines I wonder whats causing them after your runs???

Well I did do Parkrun on Saturday morning but it was very wild and windy so that put a stop to a speedy time I'm afraid image Did 4.5 miles of speed work this morning.

Jude Did you manage to stay awake in the cinema?

Mathschick Aw shame you didn't get into the lake.

AF How was your hols..you back home yet?

Hope everyone is well

• Hi all

We don't come back till Saturday image

Well done on the HIIT session chili I don't think it is something that would appeal to me!

• Hi everyone,

I finally had some good news about my parents old house today,and my sister and I  accepted an offer of 270,000.It's 15 grand below the asking price,but there is no chain,and as we have had the house on the market for quite a few months,it is a relief.Once it has gone,then we can finally move on and get some closure.It will be sad to see the house go in many ways,but it marks the end of a couple of awful years for us.

I suffered another bad migraine on Sunday night,not brought on by exercise,which stopped me from running yesterday.I have had half a dozen migraines in the last 2 weeks,after a period of 18 months without any.I do have a tendancy to get them a lot at times.

Hopefully I will be ok for tomorrow,and I will do a slow 10k run to reach my distance target for this month.To make up for missed training yesterday, I may do my first Parkrun on Saturday,which will meet my other target.I don't expect i'll be fast,and i'll be happy to finish in sub 35 mins.

Chili,that cake sounds lovely, I'll   have a slice please.Yummy. I did some baking yesterday.I made some yummy fruity flapjacks for my wife and I,and a coffee and walnut cake for the MS therapy centre I took my wife too.It went down very well with them,i'm pleased to say. I looked into the HIIT training regime,but I feel it would be too intense for me to get through without injury.

Franny,well done on getting through a wild and windy Parkrun.Just going is a big thing on days like that.

MC I hope the weather gets a bit better before you come home,and you get an alpine swim.

Today's tune is by Neil Young and Crazy Horse with ''Keep On Rocking In The Free World'' which should blow any cobwebs away.

• DJ great news about the house. I bet it will be an emotional time for you.

I hope the migraines stop and you can get out for some runs. Good luck at parkrun on Saturday I am sure you will enjoy it

• Ouch on the migraines! I suffer from them fairly regularly too. But good to hear to hear your other news and I hope the house sell goes smoothly.

Ooops! Just looked at the clock and I have to teach tonight. Gotta run!

• Hi everyone,

Well I managed to run 10k today.It was a slow plod,but i never intended it to be quick.That is the longest run this year.However about 30 minutes after finishing I had yet another migraine.It is obviously the exercise which is triggering it.I just wish i knew how to stop it from happening.

Tomorrows tune is Calvin Harris featuring Ayah Marar  and ''Thinking About You'' . 

• Hi everyone

Well done Deejay on your longest run BUT pity about the migraine. Defo seems to be the exercise as you say Hope you manage to figure out why though image

I did 10 miles yesterday so was just a gym day for me today.

I am working over the weekend but hoping to get to parkrun again tom morning and lets hope its not windy like last week.

Happy Weekend everyone image

• Hi all

DJ well done on the run but hope you can work out how to deal with migraines

Our last day here and it has been a beautiful day. We have had a long walk and are going out for a meal in a bit. 

• Hi everyone.

MC, I hope you have had a lovely last day of your hols.It seems such a lovely place.

Franny,well done on the 10 miles and gym work.Hope you have a good Parkrun.

Well tomorrow I am hoping to do my first Parkrun in Eastleigh.I'm a bit nervous about it,because I haven't stood on a start line since 2011.I'm going to aim to finish in 35 mins,which should be achievable given that I still haven't got any pace back into my running yet.That will be over 9 mins over my 5k PB,but I hope to introduce some speed work into my training next month,which should see my 5k time improve.I would like to go sub 30 by the end of the year.

Today's tune is Tom Petty with ''Running Down  A Dream'' .

Have a great weekend.

• Have fun at parkrun DJimage

• Oooh, enjoy your parkrun DJ and Franny

As you know we are keen members and although we left today for our holidays in Devon I have scoped out our nearest run and will be heading there in the morning image

• Afternoon

Hope parkrun went well Deejay image

Mathschick Hope you had a lovely last day of your holidays.

Chili Hope you enjoyed your parkrun too

I ventured down to my parkrun this morning and whilst my unofficial time is not as speedy as I can do I did a lot better than last week. Really don't like 5k pace but its a means to an end as it gets you running faster than you would normally on your own..well for me anyway. Time today unofficially was 25.50 ish  Lonf way off my 23.47 PB LOL

Anyway off to work in 30 mins image Have a good day everyone

• Hi everyone,

Well I made it to my first Parkrun,and I really enjoyed it.I was very nervous.So nervous I forgot to start my Garmin,and only noticed after 2k that it wasn't recording the time or distance.It didn't matter as I had it switched on,so I could at least check my pace,and there were km distance markers.It was great to be on a startline with other runners,and I loved the friendly atmosphere.I didn't hit my target of 35:00,but I wasn't too far out at 35:53.And part of the course was quite hilly,which I hadn't factored in.I really enjoyed it,and I'm going to do a lot more of them.My 5k PB is 26.52 on a course much harder than today's,so I have a long way to go to be at my best.

Franny,well done on your Parkrun.Sounds like you had  better conditions time than last week. 

Chili,have a lovely time in Devon.

Today's tune is bit of desert rock by Queens Of The Stone Age with ''Go With The Flow''.

• Franny and Dj - well done on your parkruns

chili - have a lovely time on holiday

it is has been a long day travelling back and I am shattered. We are mostly unpacked which is good. The house always seems to be dusty and musty when we get back from holiday so all the windows are open

• MC - good to hear you finally got off the M25 and home again safely.

DJ - well done on your first parkrun! image And Franny on your fantastic time. I don't even bother to dream of speed like that.

We went to the parkrun at Bovey Tracy which is held at a National Trust property. It could not have been more different than ours at home. Very beautiful through the woodland paths and very difficult. One particular hill of the kind that makes you weep. No one could run it. In fact it was almost hands and knees crawling up it! But so much fun.

Then we went hiking over Dartmoor. 7 miles, 5 'tors' and few rock climbs and one paddle. Am so proud of my family especially 7yr old Smidge who managed it all with no problems.

We are increasingly finding that we can't invite friends to come with us on days out because they are not fit enough to keep up with us! That sounds silly, but it is true and sad. Today my girls were saying how sorry they felt for other kids who miss out on so much because they don't 'do' things. MC - do you find the same with the friends of your sons?