'Mature' runners.

Comments

• 5km run done plus 1 hour on the bike.

• Red/Columba, thanks for the info on the London Marathon. I believe our club is allocated 4 places, so she will have to try for one. "TE" is fine, I only changed to bring my user name in line with other forums.

A very easy pace 4 miles on road this morning.

• Morning all,

Another nice bright morning and looking forward to this evenings hill session in the forest.

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Cross-posted yesterday with Red, so missed the fish miles! - a useful phrase, I'll add it to my lexicon.

Bright morning here too. Am supposed to do 45 minutes undulating at 70 - 80% HR. May be nearer thrish than fish.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

No running today as I've had to swap my rest days around. Bit blustery here and much cooler.

Columba, hope you managed a fish;-)

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Way too busy at work just lately and lots going on at home. But even though I need to be up again at 5am tomorrow a late-night post it is as I will struggle to do it any other time until the weekend. 

BIW - sorry to hear about problems 'persuading' Nemo to be a good boy for the vet.

HS - apologies for my mini-rant. It's mainly Denise Lewis gets on my nerves (suspect most people have one commentator they don't like). Would agree with you about Michael Johnson. As for football - I don't follow that at all. I never watch the football programmes but always imagine most pundits are like 'Ron Manager' from the Fast Show.

Columba - I had to fit a new brake bulb and it entailed shifting the carpet in the boot and removing the side wall of the boot as well as removing the light assembly. Not difficult - just more work than I imagined.

Red - well done re the 10ml run.

I am on call again on Saturday until 2:30pm (my colleague asked me to swap as she wants to take her parents to the airport). So I'll do my LSR once I am no longer needed!

We have a new form for claiming on call and overtime, a stupid and laborious new system for making claims and some new people administering the forms. Last month they didn't pay me enough. Someone mis-read my form as 7.3hrs and entered that into the payroll data. We enter the time in hrs and minutes and they should have converted 7hrs 30mins to 7.5hrs. Although the '.2' of an hour only equated to a 60p difference I made a point of claiming that amount on principle and it arrived in this month's pay. I pointed out their form was wrong and needed correcting.

Today I was filling out my August claim - two lots of 7hrs 30min on the form is apparently 14.60 hrs. As you can imagine I took great delight in raising another call to inform them their form is still not right and needs to be corrected yet again.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Morning all,

WtnMel, well done for correcting their very annoying error. The devil's in the detail! Good luck with your long run.

I can't make my mind up what to do today - tempo possibly. My dilemma is that I don't want to do it on the treddy again but if I do it along the lanes then my warm-up and cool-down miles will be on the flat and the 3 miles at the faster pace will be on the hilly bits which leads to frustration as I can never maintain my 10k pace on the really steep bits. But then I suppose could pretend it was a Kenyan HIlls session…….

TE are you racing this weekend?

Have a lovely (not lonely as my typo said last weekend!!!) weekend everyone image

• Morning,

WtnMel, claiming for expenses etc. was a nightmare when I was an auditor for a couple of years. We had to submit our claims on a complicated form to a claims section in another part of the country. They scrutinised every penny and were always trying to reduce or challenge items claimed for. One colleague who was claiming for two weeks audit in Scotland, had his claim form returned after a couple of weeks, as he had forgotten to insert a reference number. They hadn't had the sense to pick up a phone to ask him for it and insert it themselves. This delayed payment for another couple of weeks, leaving him very short of cash.

Red, go for the Kenyan Hill scenario! I'm not racing this weekend. My next race is on the 7th September and is the Overton 5 miles. It's over 40 miles away, which is a long drive for such a short race, but is the first in the Hampshire Road Race League. We struggle to enter teams for this race as the long drive puts most off.

Last night was a figure of eight hill session, comprising 3 x figures of eight up and down 3 hills, with 2 mins. recoveries between each. Today is a rest day and I'm off to the library soon.

On the subject of next years London Marathon, my club is allocated 4 places, which are awarded to members who have done the most for the club, such as entering races, marshalling etc. My colleague who wants to do it has already entered the Overton 5 and Victory 5, which I have also entered, and will enter more. I'll make sure she doesimage

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Red - it was half-way between thrish and fish image.

What was your final decision on the Kenyan Hills?

WtnMel - maybe with your next claim you should enclose a note saying "7 hours 30 minutes is 7.5 hours, not 7.3 hours"

Today is a rest day, - just as well, as I feel quite shattered. 8 hours sleep overnight, plus a 20-minute nap on the sofa earlier this afternoon. Will be late tonight, as I have to drive down to Abergavenny for 9.30 p.m. to pick up Youngest Son and his girlfriend, who are coming for the weekend.

• Last triathlon race of this season tomorrow - weather forecast is showing rain for most of the day! I don't mind racing in the rain, in fact I enjoy it except for the cycling on wet roads but I don't like hanging around in the rain waiting to start. John and I are both in swim start 6.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Kenyan Hills, or my own version of them, won in the end. Oh my did I bust my lungs on the 2 really steep ones! On the 2 worst uphills I managed 12mm then pelted down the other side at 8.5 mm. On the long drags I managed 11 mm and my final time for the 6 miles was 58:02 which was pretty amazing as I've never got under 60 mins for that route - it's usually about 70 mins if I'm plodding or 65 if pushing a bit. I'll take that  image

IW, hope you enjoy the Tri tomorrow.

Columba, you've been pushing yourself so no wonder you needed more rest. Have a lovely weekend with your visitors.

TE, if your club gets 4 places then one should have your name on itimage

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Morning all,

It's really autumnal today and I was frozzy when I went out to the horses earlier. Just off out to collect the paper which is a 4.5 mile round trip.

• BIW, hope your Tri goes well.

Red, well done on your new PB. I'm not interested in taking part in the London Marathon, as I don't like such large fields. I'm thinking that if I manage to stay injury free, I might run in the Southdowns Marathon again next year. When I ran it last year, I walked a lot, when others were walking, as I hadn't run it before, and didn't know what to expect. Now I know the layout, I would hope to run more of it, and achieve a better time. I enjoyed the half this year, despite the alteration to the route meaning that we ran nearly 15 miles and twice up Butser Hill.

It's bright and sunny here and I will probably do a fartlek session this morning.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

That was 4.5 miles of slog. I was tired after yesterday - must be getting oldimage

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Red - wouldn't anybody be tired after that hilly session you described yesterday?

Hope BIW's tri is going well.
    Have just been reading about an American nun, Sister Madonna Buder, who at 84 has become the oldest woman to complete an Ironman. She completed her first tri at 52 and has done 366 more in the intervening 32 years.

My visitors went for a 10-mile run this morning. I went for a gently 30-minute recovery run. All our running clothes are now in the washing machine.

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

gentle, not gently. I always type gently when I mean gentle. Usually I notice and correct it.

• HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭

Hello image Popping in again after  long absence. How is everyone? (and what are Kenyan Hills?)

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Red - whereas my work colleague just shrugs her shoulders about the overtime form being wrong, I get pleasure from pointing out mistakes and will make sure they get looked into. Especially when they are in a badly thought through, inefficient system that has been foisted upon us. Yes - was going to say go for the Kenyan hills session - and I see you had a good result. Woo-hoo!

HS - the 'new' system for claiming overtime and on call is (IMHO) a pile of c**p. We do have a new method of claiming expenses too - I don't use it myself but from what I see on our internal forum, it's an even bigger pile of c**p than the overtime/on call system. I've been tempted more than once to suggest people refuse to travel until it has been sorted out - that would probably concentrate a few minds.

Columba - I'll just make their life difficult until they get it sorted. The admin has been "off-shored" to Poland or somewhere (one of the problems) so I doubt even explaining it in plain English on the form would not help as reading notes on forms probably isn't included in the 'script' they follow. My running gear always seems to re-appear clean .. I think the washing machine fairy does itimage

BIW - good luck with the triathlon race.

Helegant - Hello (we've not 'met' before). I think Kenyan Hills must be what they have down on the sarf coast. I'll leave it to the man himself (HS) to explain.

Went out and did 7mls yesterday. Got caught in a torrential downpour and my Garmin died as a result (have opened it up and dried it out but it's terminal). I've had it 10 years so have had my money's worth and will see about getting a replacement. After my week of 5am starts, and 6am yesterday because I was on call, had 9hrs sleep last night and am feeling suitably refreshed this morning.

Today I am planning to prune (with extreme prejudice) some more of the hedge out the front. As it's a bank holiday Monday tomorrow I'll go and do 7 or 8 miles in the park again. I noticed my ex-club are running in the park as well tomorrow .. so will go out before/after them as I really don't want to bump into them if I can help it.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Afternoon peep,

Waves to Helegant; nice to see you on here my dear. Kenyan hills are where you run a series of inclines at the same effort (whereas with hill reps you go fast up and jog back down) so there's no recovery between efforts. That's my version of them anyway but I'm sure TE will help me out if I've not quite explained it correctly. Sending healing vibes to your poorly leg xxx 

Today I did 15 miles on my hilliest route. Only 2 flat miles in the whole lot and the uphills are either long drags - one being 3.5 miles - or short, sharp lung-busters. As it was an out and back route I thought the return journey would be easier but I must have blanked the downhills from the out section from my mind as when they turned into uphills they were tough going, especially since the last mile was all uphill. Happy to report that I managed a negative split of 8 minutes so happy with that.

WtnMel, you seem to be doing well with your comeback runs.

Columba, what an amazing lady that nun is. Thanks for sharing that as she is truly an inspiration.

Off to play in the garden for the afternoon image

• Hi there Helegant and welcome back to the thread. I don't remember seeing you on here, but believe I have seen you on other threads. Red's interpretation of Kenyan Hills is correct. They are undertaken at a steady pace, up and down, and between equally spaced out markers. You run up to the first and back down, then to the second and so on. For our club sessions, we usually have 5 markers. We have 3 sets of 5 markers with 60 secs recoveries between sets. Recoveries and distances between markers are at the discretion of the Coach.

Red, well done on your 15 miler, and a negative split is impressive.

WtnMel, in the days when I submitted travel claims etc. it was before e mails, and forms had to be completed in ink and despatched by post. We tended to think the T&S section was staffed by morons. An example is where they must have spent time and effort studying timetables and fare scales to state that 50p could have been saved by changing trains twice. They obviously gave no thought to the additional time this would have incurred.

There were five of us this morning for our forest run, and I ran 11.6 miles. We have a yellow warning for the New Forest region tomorrow for heavy rain, and I have a 20 mile run scheduled with Alice. We are hoping to do 95% of the run in the forest, but it depends on the weather.

Athletics have just started on BBC2 so shall be sitting back and watchingimage

• Helegant, how nice to see you back on here! Of course we've been in contact sometimes on Facebook, but seeing you back on here after so long, does it mean you are running ok? How is the asthma? What about the dog training, how is that going? My two both have health problems at present, Nemo has another ear infection and Charlie I think has kennel cough, will have to take him to the vet in the morning. After inquiries I have found that 5 other dogs from our club are coughing. Obviously from your posts that your ministry is going well.

Yesterday's tri was mixed, John was disappointed with 4th place, missing 3rd by less than a minute. As expected I was 2nd in W65 - my swim was again poor, but overall I was 20 minutes better than two weeks ago in Oettingen - result!

• ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Hello Helegant, - I know you from the Fetcheveryone website but don't remember your being on here before.

WtnMel - I didn't realise Garmins were at risk of "dying" in a downpour. In future I'll be more cautious about running in heavy rain with mine.

Red - I've noticed that about downhills. When they turn into uphills, they seem to grow teeth.

75 mins LSR today. Nothing remarkable. Am thoroughly enjoying my son and his GF's visit. Last night we were looking at old photos, - GF wanted to see what Son looked like as a baby and toddler, while he himself was looking for (and eventually found) some pictures of himself as a teenager when he dyed his hair black, and then (not liking it) tried to bleach it blond, but it came out bright orange on top of the black dye. There was considerable hilarity, helped by a bottle of red wine.
    They have both been running, yesterday and today; they will be doing the same half mara as me (but will do it considerably faster).

• HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭

Thanks for the welcome back (Columba, I have seen you on here before - I've been around RW since 2002, and you'll find me on the first page of this thread as well as its predecessor).

Congratulations on the tri results IW, that's impressive - that swim result was good, how are the bones now? I hope the dogs recover quickly.

Redhead, Kenyan Hills sound tough, what's your latest challenge?

I rarely have time to keep up with everyone, but it is August and the days are a bit less fraught before the schools go back. This may yet be another flying visit.

Jet the dog is a joy, and still, at two years old, a bundle of energetic and creative mischief. He has his silver 'good citizen' award from the Kennel Club and I'm hoping to start agility with him in October - that will be good for me as well! This last three weeks he's missed his daily long walk with me so he's going a bit stir-crazy right now.

I'm off the crutches now, with an MRI booked for next Saturday to confirm the diagnosis of a medial meniscus tear, which is healing steadily, so I hope to be back to running in about a month.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Raining here, which although a shame for the various events on in the area (Dog show and fun day down in the valley, medieval something-or-other at the castle, open air concert in a neighbouring village) makes me very happy as the grounds parched and needs a good soaking so I can prepare for my autumn planting.

No running today as I did 6 days last week so need a proper rest.

IW, sorry to hear John didn't quite get the result he wanted but you did really well.

Columba, lol at your son and his experiences with dye. Been there and done something similar with henna when I glowed like a belisha beacon until I discovered that Head and Shoulders strips away hair dye very quicklyimage

I do believe I was still glowing from that experiment when I first met Helegant on NYD at the Serpies 10k back in 2003/4?

Helen, if you pop back in, I'm still finishing off my 2014 challenge (5 months of running streak with 5 marathons during that time plus 2 more in the autumn) and am busy plotting 2015 which will be 10th year of supporting ARUK so has to be extra special image

JJ, healing vibes to Mrs JJ and sweaty hugs to you. I'm being a good girl with my training for the Tonbridge 1/2 and if I don't get sub 2 hours on this regime then I probably never will. I think the only thing that could stop me would be my breathing issues but I'm jolly well going to give it a good shot.

TE, didn't you do 15 miles last week? I usually do 15, 18, 20 so as not to increase my mileage too mud in one go. Hope the weather conditions are OK as it looks as if the whole of our region is getting the rain all day.

• I've lost the post I've just written so just a brief one now and more later.

Red, I've done 16, 18 and doing 20 this morning, so gradually increasing LSD. Weather is dreadful so run will be a mixture of roads and forest.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

TE, sorry, getting mixed up (not "mud' of course but "much")!

• As suspected, the vet says Charlie has a viral infection, his throat is inflamed and he's still coughing, though not as bad as yesterday. He is such a good boy, didn't turn a hair during the exam and two injections she gave him. She does agree with me that Charlie is underweight and could do with 3 or 4 kilos more. On advice from our breeder friends I've started adding noodles to his diet because he was really starting to worry me, he's too light for a male shepherd. Nemo is 67 kilos of muscle, I could wish he was a little bit less - he's built like a Rottweiler!

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Red - well done re that hilly 15ml session. Only time I have ever done something similar was when I was on holiday in the IOW. I ran from Freshwater Bay to the Needles and back via Tennyson Down. Hilliest run I've ever attempted but only 6 or 7 miles so nothing like your mileageimage

HS - well done re the 11ml run and good luck (and reasonable weather) for the planned 20 miler. My company seems to make a habit of outsourcing work to other companies that employ idiots with no common sense.

BIW - sorry tri result was a little disappointing but on the positive side, a 20 min improvement is good news. Hope Charlie is soon on the mend.

Columba - I've never had problems with my Garmin in the rain before but can't think what else caused it to die - unless it was old age image Well done re 75min LSR - smiled at your son and GF chuckling over old photos. One positive aspect of separating and sharing everything out was sorting through the photo albums. I ended up with mine in chronological order and can find the old photos when I need to. I still make a point of occasionally printing photos and putting them in albums. I haven't yet 'moved on' and had any photo books printed but guess I ought to? Anyone else in the same situation where photos are concerned?

Helegant - shame life is so busy for you. Hope your recovery continues steadily and you are back running sooner rather than later.

JJ - good point re using same hill for kenyan hill reps. Once I've built up my mileage a bit more I'll be needing to practice hills ready for my race in October (which has some big hills).

I've been out and done a wet 7.5mls this morning. I saw a couple of the faster men from my ex-club but I'm not sure they recognized me. With no Garmin it was a 'nekkid' run where I just ran at what felt like a comfortable pace. I had my old phone with me in the pocket of my rain jacket and used the stopwatch function so that I could check the time after I had plotted the route afterwards on Fetch.

• This mornings run was a bit of a nightmare due to the heavy rain and biting wind. Alice and I set off at 11.00 and we were already soaked to the skin. We ran mainly in the forest, avoiding the worst of the mud and keeping where possible to the gravel and sandy tracks. The trouble was, the trails were all inches deep in rain water, and getting worse all the time. We ran most of the run splashing through the water, and the wind took its toll by cutting right through us. We got so cold and soaked that we made a decision to cut the run short. We ran 12 miles which was much less than planned, but felt pleased to have run at a constantly good pace  in such adverse conditions. It took me several hours after I got home before I thawed out.

Well done to everyone on here who ran today, which proves we are not fair weather runners.