Brighton Marathon 2015

Comments

• Another 5 miles for me tonight. I'm just running mainly 3s and 5s at the moment as I'm concentrating on building a steady base. Averaged 9.24 and every mile was 924 to 925 mins so happy with it being so consistent
  • Robert Yes. I also find it difficult to get my head right for different sorts of training. Either I focus on general fitness, or I focus on running, but rarely can do both very well. I just have to remind myself of my priorities as they vary image How are you finding the insanity workouts? I think I'd have loved them when I was younger, but my knees just won't take the impact!

Tillstar Good steady running going on.

TrottingAlong So long as the meet spot included food and drink, that could be a good idea!

Toby You are proving the value of consistent training!

Currently I'm focussing on long runs, and managed a 16 miler this morning. Still run/walk to protect the joints (mostly run!) Then my daughter got back this afternoon and wanted to go for a bike ride and a run!! I did the 10 miles bike ride with her, but only managed 1 mile of her 2 mile run image. Then stopped for a nice chat with a lady who was working on a community garden and ended up bringing some strawberry plants home for Mrs Juggler.

Happy runnings image

• Juggler234 Love circuits/ insanity as you can push yourself as much as you can/ want and doesnt matter how fit you are you can raise your game. I get you on the knee situation it's always in the back of my head after tearing my knee ligs at London 2012! 

What funnies have you heard people shout at you (usually kids) when your running? Like run forest/fat boy run? Does anyone get spurred on/ anoyed/ reply/ not bothered by them.

•  well managed to get out for a run with Snowmaiden tonight did 8 miles must say her pace has dropped somewhat since her hours at work increased she's going to have to get it back to where it was in July if she wants’ to stand any chance of hitting her target time for Brighton next year

• What is Snowmaiden's target for next year toby?

• she is aiming for a GFA time which sub 3:45:00 this may be a bit ambitious this year any time form 4 to 4:30 would be good

• Good Luck Snowmaiden, I would love to achieve that but I don't think I ever will, especially not this year as its my first one. What kind of pace would that be?

• Evening all

8 miles for me today then of to marshalling for our running club

Tillstar to hit a sub 4 you need to run at 9:02m/m pace and to get a 4:30 finish you would need to run at 10:17 pace

• Wow dont think I could ever achieve that or at least not without a crazy amount of fartlek training or something. I average about 920 at the moment but fully expect this to drop on marathon day and as my runs get longer.  I'm kind of liking the fact that I have hockey training mid week meaning the time I devote to running is limited so that I can't try and aim for a time as my first one I just want to cross the line and not worry about the time image Good luck snowmaiden 

• Evening All

13 miles for me today but boy i struggled i knew from the start it was going to be one of those runs you’re just going to be happy to cover the distance the head wind in places didn’t help as it turn out it was 4minutes slower than last week getting around in 1:58:09 with an Avg pace of 8:49m/m

went out with Poohbear Saturday morning and did 8 with her then in the cafe for a breakfast fry up it may not be healthiest food but boy it went down well  

• Evening all

gym session yesterday and today went up to the running club with Poohbear and Snowmaiden Poohbear opted to their 6 mile run were as me and Snowmaiden opted for the 8 she did really well getting around in 1:27:17 an Avg of 10:47m/m a vast improvement on last week when it was 11:31m/m

• Well done snow maiden! I have been mixing my running with cycling recently to give me variety. All plodding along nicely, pace is nice and consistent and I'm enjoying it and getting out there regularly which is all I'm aiming for at the moment so I'm happy image
  • just 6 miles for me and Snowmaiden to night

Tillstar glad your still enjoying the running

• Thanks Toby, so am I. Also decided I'm not playing hockey this season. Brighton had been my dream for a while and I want to concentrate on getting there and give that my sole focus not try and do too many things. So now running is my sole focus again I'm thinking of running 4 days a week as that is what is on the marathon plan I want to follow eventually so I figured it makes sense to get into the habit of running on those days now. Thinking a 5 5 and 3 and weekends starting at 6 and building up slowly to 10 and keeping at that for long run until plan time. Not going for a time in April just to finish, does that sound a good plan for now?
  • Toby, still putting in the good miles with the family. Excellent!

Tillstar, I've only done a couple of marathons myself, but that sounds like a good plan to me. For my second mara, I focussed on building up the mileage at an easy pace, and getting used to running more than 3 times a week, with maybe one faster run each week, and it seemed to work well. You've got enough time that you probably don't need to worry about a faster run in the week just yet. I only did it to keep off the boredom!

Happy runnings image

• Morning all

held a bake sale on Saturday to raise money towards Dream come true the charity I'm running the GNR for a little disappointing as we only had 10 people show up did raise £40 and sell £11 pounds worth of raffle tickets so we took what remained of the cakes to the church my wife and mother go to and sold some after the service and raised another £50

one of our mums friends who help us on Saturday said she would sell raffle tickets for us to the members of the clubs she belongs to so there should be more to come from that

Although having said that with what we raised Saturday and Sunday and with the sponsorship i got i have already managed to raise the £200 pounds minimum sponsorship they were asking plus about £80 more

Tillstar sounds like a good plan

• Thanks Toby and juggler. 5 miles for me tonight. 45 mins average 9.07 so my fastest 5 miles yet. It was tough but enjoyable image
  • The BIG Three Oh...Oh

Nope..not my 30th birthday...that was a long (long) time ago image......I completed my 300th run tonight since starting running in July 2012. image

I'm still here lurking in the shadows!

So so busy with the kids being off school etc that I haven't really got time to get on the internet.

Enjoying the cooler weather at the moment and really feeling the need to inject some variety into my training. Running has become a bit of a chore lately, just running 10k every other night on the seafront. I've got the Tonbridge Half at the end of September so I guess I'd  better up the mileage a bit.

• Congratulations on your 300th run swervin mervin.

I'm still plodding along nicely. Not over doing the training just building a consistent base and loving it. Always looking forward to the next run.

Definitely noticing the cooler mornings the last two days I have turned up to work in thick jumped and coat where I got so cold running - may be time to pack the shorts away for a bit.

Good luck for the tonbridge half swervin. I am entered for it but won't be doing it as I have been concentrating on consistency and a slow build up so my mileage hasn't been long enough to be ready for that. Il live just outside tonbridge tho so wl give you a cheer if I'm home that day.
  • Me again image

I weighed myself this morning and at 8st 8lb I have, without realising it, got past my target weight of 8st 10lb.  Somehow I don't feel the elation I expected I would for getting there.  Running has been a bit tough this week and the more I enjoy my running the more that becomes the main focus and I would rather weigh a couple of pounds more and run good and strong than hit a certain number on the scales but struggle running. Time to eat more just keep it healthy.

• Ps Runners Need has a great sale on at the moment if anyone needs to stock up on some kit

• Afternoon all

had a week off the running this week back to it next

Swervin Mervin congratulations on your 300th run

Tillstarwell done on the running may be worth signing up for a half around March time of next year it will help you keep focused and you can incorporate it into your Brighton training

• Thanks Toby.  There is one I have done before that I was hoping to do in March but it is on 29th and I thought it would be too close to Marathon date to do but I just looked and the plan has me doing 14 that day anyway so Im guessing I would be okay to do it afterall?

• you can treat it one of two ways either treat the race as a training run or just go for the time i tend to go for the time at least that way i no i can keep my marathon pace up for at least 13.1 miles

• Cool thanks Toby. Will decide nearer the time based on how training is going but I'm thinking I would like to go for a time as would be an indication of how my training is going and what I might expect on marathon day
  • great effort folks. stick at it.

• Managed a 12 miler on Friday, which I found quite tough, despite being a flat, road / seafront course!

Then a quiet weekend for me. Gentle bike ride Saturday with Mrs J. Rest day Sunday, meal with friends, eating outside in the sunimage. Could be the last time this year the way the weather is heading. 7 miles at a reasonable pace this morning.

Tillstar, to add to what Toby said, my personal advice would be, if you do decide to go for the time that close to the marathon, just make sure that you have a real recovery week the next week, with very little running. Two weeks out from a marathon, a good HM could be just the thing to finish your training, but you will need to make sure that your joints are fully recovered for the 26.2. -I usually find it takes two weeks to recover from a tough HM, so if you are disciplined, it could work well for you, but as you say, probably best to decide nearer the time.

Happy runnings everyone image

•  

Afternoon all

13 miles for me Saturday with Poohbear and another 10 today had to break out the long running tights and rain coat for the first time for a while must say i struggled a bit back on afternoons as from today so hopefully it won't take me long to get back to my usually running routine

• 6 miles yesterday off up to Newcastle for the GNR next Friday then a week off and then it's the Bristol H/M

• Afternoon all

13 miles for me today banging in the mileage at the moment to try to lose some of the weight i put on last week