Sub 10:00...

Comments

• Pudge wrote (see)

Thanks Symes, interesting reading.

The M30-34 is a tough old group isn't it?  Someone in that age category had to be an hour quicker than someone in the M18-25 age cat - just shows that it's a sport for the middle aged! image

Not really a sport for the middle aged but one that rewards longevity and years of hard training. Throw in that those 30+ are more likely to have the disposable income for fancy kit - not many 18-25 have 10 years of endurance training and can drop £5k+ on gear.

• for women in running it seems to be those in their 40's winning the races and thats nothing to do with income unlike tri.......

I just think those in their 20's have better ways to spend their free time......image

• Which was kinda my point TE……i.e. those that are middle aged are more likely to have built up the endurance, and also have the disposable income needed to participate in the sport.

• Pudge - didn't see the roll down info anywhere but used that link to see the three that qualified in my a/g... and saw on the results that the third guy actually came in 6th place

• Interesting that in my age group then 13:23 got a place.but the older age group of over 50  you needed 11:05 to get the place.....

• 13:23 in W75-79 is still a very good performance!! image

•  
    TheEngineer wrote (see)
    Pudge wrote (see)

The M30-34 is a tough old group isn't it?  Someone in that age category had to be an hour quicker than someone in the M18-25 age cat - just shows that it's a sport for the middle aged! image

Not really a sport for the middle aged but one that rewards longevity and years of hard training. Throw in that those 30+ are more likely to have the disposable income for fancy kit - not many 18-25 have 10 years of endurance training and can drop £5k+ on gear.

Also all the really top 18-25s are likely to be racing as pros.  Sure, there are lots of pros in their 30s as well, but equally there are lots of very good age-groupers with careers and families for whom it's not economically viable to race as a pro.  So they chase the Kona slots as AGers instead.

By the time your in your 40s you've got all the ex-pros as well as the good AGers to contend with!

• Pudge wrote (see)

Hope for me yet then....maybe! Old fart that I am

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Interesting stuff

Initially I was simply going to say that I agree with whatever Flyaway said (she likes that).

Most folks in their 20's and 30s don't have the amount of "me" time to dedicate to endurance sports due to family and work, as the kids get older you get more time available.

Interesting info re the slot allocation, look how fast the last of the qualifiers in each of the Male V40, V45 and V50 AGs had to go due to the lower number of slots available. Its a tougher ask as the AGs get older.

Nicco - standalone running at 1/2 and full IM is very different to 1/2 mara and full mara running (in my numpty opinion even having never run an IM marathon), its a lot more about strength. 

• Had a very quick skim and a chortle...

Ironman make a lot of money out of the one & done and the Kona wannabes - I'm one of those and have handed over a fair amount of money to WTC to tick the box.

There's two Kona standards - there's the shit hot, rock up anywhere regardless of who turns up and thanks the slot is mine and then those that hover on the possibly good enough on the day.

Then there's a majority of think if they have that top drawer performance, everything goes right, Joe Bloggs doesn't turn up and with a prevailing wind and 3 roll downs I might just sneak a slot - those are the 15% of the field.

Like I've said before, I'd really like to play the drums, I think that would be really cool but I've never picked up a set of sticks in my life. Does this mean I could play the drums if I could be bothered, probably, but I obviously don't want to enough.

There's a big difference from having the ability to executing upon it and that apart from those genetic freaks that "just have what it takes" sets the qualifiers and non-qualifiers apart. 

Yes there's differences in AG and gender but lets just take M 30-55 - this is group is pretty competitive regardless of where you race.

For M 40-44 in Frankie you needed pretty much 9:30 to get a roll down - Frankie probably equates to Outlaw in terms of time over the course - Frankie might have a stacked field but it also has 100 slots...

Getting from 10:15 to 9:30 is no easy task...the faster you are, the smaller the gains...

Yes you might have the ability to qualify physically - but so do most people to be honest - its whether or not you have the ability to follow through on the goal that's difficult.

• TR wrote (see)

Initially I was simply going to say that I agree with whatever Flyaway said (she likes that).

If you're time pressed, it's generally your best bet. Especially as in this case - oh look - we happen to be right....

• TR - don't disagree about the IM marathon though I'm not basing that on my 2 experiences, one where I was injured starting the race (last year) and this year where a lack of run training due to managing the same injury meant I was, with hindsight, woefully underprepared for the run. Still reckon a well trained, non injured time for IM marathon for myself is 3:20-3:30. No illusions of getting near to 3 hours.....

Fegan - I also agree with you, there's nothing special about getting close to achieving a Kona slot. Freaky genetics aside, simply working hard and training consistently will get most people there. It's those willing to put in the extra xx% that actually claim the slot on the day. I'd like to think I'm in that camp. Just need to sort my knee out now I've firmly established that I've lost up any latent run fitness I thought I might have had from my running background and now need to get fit enough to train rather than hoping I can simply knock out a 3:30 is IM run split because I remember being a reasonable runner!

Interesting comments about strength.... Anyone care to comment further? I raced outlaw at my lightest for a long time (67kg @ 177cm) and believed this would stand me in good stead for the run. What sort of strength workouts do any of you do and how do you find the time??!!?? In my mind it's still a case of getting as light as possible (I look like I'm ill at 67kg according to Facebook comments from non athlete friends) without breaking down. Is this a runners rather than a triathletes mentality?

Anyway, cashed up the expense of a family trip to Kona and can't really justify it, meaning that any thought of Kona qualifying will probably be just that for me. Mortgage and school fees for the kids apparently take priority..... Back to the outlaw next year with another European race perhaps later in the season. Positive from my 10:16 is that I've still got sub 10 to aim for!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

Nicco - if you are a 2:45 man, you should be able to aim higher than 3:30, but like you say you need no injury issues. Someone like Fegan will put you straight on the strength thing, but think more functional strength than weight training. Hill reps and big gear on the bike. Hills and something like 3min reps for the run. I do sessions of 12 to 15 x 3min/30sec jog before the 1/2 IM races I do.

• Fianl prep race done. Had a solid sprint race finishing 18th in 1:05 with plenty left in the tank. Absolutely miserable day so I was pleased just to get around the bike course without falling! Another hard week this week then a 2 week taper.

Agree strength work is crucial for longer distances. I'm finding since dropping the cadence from mid 90s to around 80 i'm finding the bike far easier. Then the quads need to be very strong to hold up through the run. Funnily my cadence on the run has risen too.. first 20 minutes of the brick runs are around 96-100 spm instead of my usual 90-93. Not sure why that is! Tired legs = shorter strides maybe.

• Race prep thoughts.. hopefully some of more experienced of you can advise!

I was thinking of wearing a long sleeve top for the bike leg.. what do others put on for the bike? Toe covers? Second pair of shorts? I'm not sure whether to stick them on or not. I've done 4+ hours in the trisuit but I hear the roads are pretty rough so might be smart. Aside from a few seconds to stick the shorts on there's no real disadvantage right? I've ordered a 2 piece tri suit after a late change of mind. Never wore one before but as long as it fits it should be much the same. I'll try it out before the day anyway.

Nutrition.. i'm thinking bring 2 bottles on the frame + the profile design bottle at the front with high5 4:1 in 2 and electrolyes in one. high5 first then refil with electrolytes then refil with high 5 again. Half way round is a bag drop so get 3 new bottles and repeat. On top of that i've got a top tube bag with a fig roll for every 30 minutes.

The run is 3 x 14k loops. I've ordered a belt that will carry 2 small bottles (looks like about 200ml) and a small pouch for food/gels. Never thought i'd wear one but i think it will help! Water (or more high5?) in each bottle and refil each lap. 2 gels per lap..

Just back from the physio and she's given the all clear for my achilles injury. Very welcome news!

• BK - not sure of the race but there's no need for extra shorts - it's just faff and race day adrenalin will see you fine unless you have a really shit saddle.

Nutrition - unless the aid stations are very far apart - i.e. it's not an IM race but some little hick race then 1 water bottle is fine. A second is good for just after the swim where I like to get a full bottle down my ASAP, then it's one an aid station unless you have an issue with bottle exchanges or the course nutrition. I only use gels in the 2nd bottle, never understood why people spend £000's on a sleek aero frame then clutter it up with boxes, gels etc. BTA bottle is handy if you're used to it, Carrying 3 ful bottles unless this is IM Florida flat is just silly - I assume you've tried fig rolls under race conditions?

Run - if your tri suit has pockets then you wont need a belt - if no pockets then carry gels in the bottles, there's plenty of drink stations unless again this is something like city to summit where there are 2 in the whole run.

Just do what you've practiced before is the best answer.

• Its an Adamo saddle that I'm pretty comfortable on now. I'll probably pass on the second shorts then.

Its a local non IM race. There are plenty of aid stations, roughly 30k apart but I don't know how the drinks will actually be distributed. I think it would be a case of stopping and refilling the bottle before getting back on the bike again. That's why i'm thinking it may be easier to carry 3 bottles. It is a hilly course though, so its hard to know. As well as that I have no idea what drinks will actually be available at the stations. Suppose I should find that out.

Any experience with the Castelli Stealth T1 top?

The belt for the run, you're right I can just carry 2 gels each lap or stick them in my pocket and have water at the stations.. i'm sure there will be plenty around the course.

• The belt is a good option, you'l not really notice it and means you can have what you want when you want...and if you're chugging a gel every 20-30 minutes you'll need to carry a fair few.

• BK, have you raced yet?

I've just entered IMUK for next year. Sub 10 would be quiet an ask I guess by looking at the podium for the age group this year, but guess there's only one way to find out! Hopefully get up to the course as well at some point before winter sets in!

• This Saturday. Think I'm prepared okay for it. Not great, but okay image

I did an hour fairly easy on the bike yesterday and felt rubbish. Think that's just mind games though. Taper has been good and the physio said yesterday that everything's in good shape. Happy with all the kit and nutrition. The weather looks perfect. No excuses basically!

I'll do a 40 minute run tonight, maybe a 15 minute swim tomorrow and 30 minutes on the bike course Friday then that's me done. Sub 10 will be tough obviously.. if I manage it I know it will be very tight. Very dependent on a good bike. I think I can swim around an hour and run around 3:20.

Also entered IM Mont Tremblant for next year. Something to look forward to!

Isn't IMUK about 30 minutes slower than most? Positions what really matters anyway image

• No idea... but my IM France time would have me in 5th at UK this year and qualified. As you say though it's not about time image The run looks slow though... only 4 people went under 3:30 in my age group I think

What race is it this weekend? Good luck.. sounds like you're ready!

• Cheers. Ready as can be for my first long distance race.. its in Killarney, Ireland and called Hardman. Really nice course. Only 70+12 teams taking part so it will be a lonely race! There is a standard race going on around the same time but they'll start and mostly finish while we're away on the bike.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Not checked in here recently and missed quite a bit of discussion. Re qualifying times in different age groups, I still think coming 20th in my AG with 9:08 must be the most ridiculous. Someone did 8:54 and didn't qualify IIRC.

Good luck to BKins this weekend - feeling rubbish in the taper is a good sign!

• Hope it went well BKins.

• Didn't get near it unfortunately. Swam well and started well on the bike. Punctured after 30 minutes. Big mistake was trying to make up time after that. Tired myself out after about 140k and struggled big time. The run was just thinking about finishing. Came in 10th in 11:30 and I'm happy enough to take a lot of experience from it! Main mistake was thinking I could race faster than I was training.. Doesn't seem to work with the long distance racing!! Great day out anyway on an outstanding course.
  • Sorry to hear BKins but all great experience!!

Vitruvian HIM this weekend - havent had any motivation and so havent actually been on the bike for 6 weeks other than commuting once a week or so... so isn't going to be anything special

• Sorry to hear it didn't go according to plan BKins..... Crappy luck with the puncture.

I've been reflecting on my sub 10 attempt and looking at splits in more detail on the bike I probably did something similar (without the excuse of a puncture). Pushed harder than training pace for most of the bike leg with the predictable outcome of slowing up in last quarter of the bike and not running my goal of 3:30 or better.

Power meter should be due to land tomorrow I hope and one of my major goals is to learn to meter out effort more consistently over longer rides as I often feel myself weakening towards the end of a 90 or so mile training ride and having to push to maintain pace.

Anyone racing outlaw next year? I considered other races but am almost certainly going to keep it local next year and race Belvoir middle distance in May and outlaw for another to at sub 10.
  • Right - outlaw sorted for next year. That's sub 10 in the bag then.......

Anyone got any suggestions for a warm up race (pref 1/2 IM)? Didn't really fancy half outlaw as I train on the course quite a lot anyway.... As pre prev post I'm thinking about belvoir tri (the one that's a half ish in terms of distances).

Basic idea is to work on power (bike) and get running back to being a 6 minute miler for a half marathon over the winter. I've just bought a power meter so looking forward to some more structured training on the bike. Running will hopefully come back with a bit more specific training and no itb problems. Use that speed to put in a decent half and then spend a couple of months building endurance back into the mix with a nice winter of running behind me along with a higher FTP.

Any thoughts on other races that got time and location wise (I'm based in south notts)? Also any thoughts on the very basic plan of working on bike power / faster running over winter before switching to endurance based training? Does this even make sense? Anyone tried it?
  • Sounds similar to reverse periodisation.

Get yourself a copy of "Training and racing with a power meter". It has a lot of content and info on what to do to build power in different zones. Typically building FTP requires work at threshold and VO2max.

• Thanks - got it downloaded on ipad to read whilst in meetings..... Quite hard going though. I do feel like I could do with a Dummies guide to training with power!