Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• 11lbs in a week?! Isn't that like eating (drinking) an extra 5500 calories per day on top of normal food intake?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

chub-a-lub!

Certainly won't have a repeat of the infamous "shirt off" glory run Bus proceeded on after the Cabbage Patch 10 a couple of years ago at that rate!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

To be fair, that was in response to a severe nipple chafing incident - far too painful (and messy) to keep that vest on image. Mind you, ALL my runs in Portugal were done topless!

literatin wrote (see)

11lbs in a week?! Isn't that like eating (drinking) an extra 5500 calories per day on top of normal food intake?

That's just the standard daily intake on an American male isn't it image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

ps "cromulent"??

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

How's the injury after a couple of sessions now SG? 

Ric, hopefully things take a turn for the better. 

some decent mileage while you were away Bus and still put on some timber. Must've been rehydrating thoroughly! I'm at a wedding in Cyprus in 4 weeks and hoping I can squeeze a week of essay doubles in. Don't think I'll be doing much drinking as it'll be the first time away with my daughter so ill prob be too knackered to stay up! 

Which Halfs are they Scott? I noticed that a sub 72 gets a free entry to the Edinburgh half next May. 

• Brighton half is one, as I am doing it I looked there and sub 72 again gets you in free. Think you can get over night hotel and after party there + others but will have to search what's in decent range from where you live.. Brightons not far for me but could be a pickle for you

I've decided to have a cut back week and run all easy 5 mile runs bar my session, skipping Saturday session and having Physio / massage / rest day. Should come in at 40m though but averaged 55ish for last 4 and should absorb some of the miles before starting the build up to GSR (start next week now)
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Tight Matt, but then I guess a lot of us are tight a lot of the time....

a couple of deep hamstring stretches and I can put half of my hand on the floor, which is a monumental improvement from a month ago, but I guess it's continuing to try and get more flexi...physio in 2 weeks.

sub 72...that's making my hamstrings twitch more!!

• SG, do you do any dynamic stretching + strides? Would that be better than static stuff? I find leg swings pretty useful
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'd probably snap in half if I tried those image

I do a hip unlocking thing, which is probably more along those lines than a stretch.

A particularly grumpy Oesteo chided me that it was "NOT a stretch" when asking what my stretching regime was.

sorry mate!

in fairness he also had the irritating habit of asking what time I would do certain distances in. ERM....at the moment, not very fast, so stop reminding me!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Does anyone get a bit embarrassed when warming up before a session or a race? Ive got into a routine of doing some high knees and then the reverse where you kick your backside and then walking while doing some high kicks. Usually do a few strides and that's my lot. 

Watching the nm warm up at the second track at the commonwealths was an eye opener. They looked like they knew what they were doing. Haha. 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Nope, doesn't embarrass me anymore Matt. A month or so ago though some kids of about 11 or 12 were watching my warm up and shouted "oi mate, I'm backing you for the win". I didn't win.
  • Dachs wrote (see)
    Nope, doesn't embarrass me anymore Matt. A month or so ago though some kids of about 11 or 12 were watching my warm up and shouted "oi mate, I'm backing you for the win". I didn't win.

Destroying their dreams. Now they have no one to look up to.

Bracknell track can be a den of sin late at night. Even some lunchtimes it is the place to hang out. I've never been heckled there though.

5min intervals on the turbo tonight. Too wet/cold/crappy to ride out. Plus no back wheel...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Matt - as the race winner, you can officially do as embarrassing a warm up as you like!

• I do leg swings (to counteract chronically tight hips) but only after a run when I'm nicely warmed up.

Re. free 'elite' race entries I blagged a free entry to Nottingham half despite not remotely qualifying, though won't do it now because I live in Scotland. So it seems it's always worth asking.

I would only be embarrassed by warm-ups/stretching/etc. if I secretly wasn't sure what I was doing. One of the main reasons I never liked going to the gym!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

thinking about these "leg swings", probably not too far off what i do when im lying on my side and bringing one leg up.

went for the medium long run in the end, 9miles, 7.02 pace. A few shoots and tightnesses. Nothing until Friday now, so look forward to 2 sleeps and about 4-5more stretching sessions!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ran in this morning. Adductor held up OK, even if I could still feel it. Touch of Autumn in the air though - bloody cold to start!

Talking of stretching, I saw Dachs post about not stretching. I never used to stretch at all, but gradually over recent years with one injury after another needing to be managed by stretching, it's now all joined together and become a time consuming part of the week's activities.

Difficult to say whether the lack of stretching lead to any of the injuries in the first place, but you can definitely get away with it a lot easier when you are a bit younger! I lasted with none until my early forties!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you should probably point out what age you started though Bus. 

Just in case any 18-early 20s are reading this thinking (wrongly) that they can get away with 20 years of none!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's true!

My "proper" running didn't start until I was mid 30s for the record! Most youngsters I know are pretty sensible about stretching as they've come from school or AC coaching anyway.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

like lit, i have an elite entry to Robin Hood half. i plan to run it free, with out aiming for splits or PB, just go out and run whatever pace I feel like.  Main problem is 13 miles feels a long way at the moment image

regards stretching I have never been able to touch my toes, not sure i have ever got as far as my ankles! even in my teens

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Just back from Watford open 3000. I aimed for 9:15. I ran 9:15.39.

However, I actually feel a bit frustrated, because I think I completely misjudged it. My last 3000 I started with a psychotic 68 second opening lap. This time I was too slow, 77 instead of the 74s I needed. This put me in the pack when I should have been near the front of my heat. Ran the first 4 laps in lane 2, verging on lane 3. Then, in the final 3 laps, when it had settled into a leading group of 4, including the great GB prospect Bobby Clay, I left it too late to push hard and finished 3rd (behind Clay and another quality young woman, Amy griffiths), feeling far, far too fresh. At no point did I enter the pain box. I should have tried to smash the last 3 laps, not leave it to 600m to go, because I don't have the pace to make a fast last 600 really painful.

Oh well, almost a 10 second PB, I just wish I hadn't run like a numpty.
  • Yeah, that sounds shit Dachs. (well done image)

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Great pb, Sounds a good race Dachs. I would have thought 9.15 is in line with your recent 5k PB.  3000 is a funny race, the lap pace is never really fast but you always feel like you could have given more.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I think you just wanted to take the opportunity of being behind a couple of young ladies Dachs image

Sounds bloody quick to me mind - 3:05 per k!!!!!

• The Bus wrote (see)

Sounds bloody quick to me mind - 3:05 per k!!!!!

When you put it like that! imageimage

Well done Dachs.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, you greedy bastad stop moaning, can't argue with a pb, especially 10secs worth over so short a distance.

Were there 3 heats and you were in the second then?

Local legend Ed, who made me chuckle by posting a massive crock of trophies on facebook with some kind of accompanying note like "clearing all these away to make room for the next batch", did a gnats gnadger over 9.00 last night.

From what i've seen him and the Cooray gang do some absolutely mental sounding sessions. Humongous rep counts, fast paces and short recoveries.

Agree on the unsettling nature of 3k though. Just from my 2, i did 9.46, feeling like I hadn't raced, despite leading for 6 laps or so, and then did a 9.44, feeling ruined at the end. Although that did have a 70sec first lap, and mad flat out last 150metres.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thought you said "a massive cock of trophies" at first image. His next batch will all be V40 ones though image (stolen from me!)

Reps at lunch in a bit. Feeling a bit sorry for myself though. Adductor is still a little sore, hamstrings are very tight (no idea why!). Neither quite enough to justfy not running. To cap it off though, what I thought was a splinter in my big toe just before I went on hols has turned into a bloody great verruca (I think) and is quite painful. Sometimes, if I land on it wrong, it's quite excruciating. As a result I'm not landing correctly, and getting a bit of tendon twinge as a result.

• Speedy speedy 3km Dachs, there's always another 3km or 5km at the end of the day and in a good way if you felt you ran it perfectly then sometimes that's not so good so you'll be able to run it faster next time anyway! image
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Nice PB Dachs. Is there another one soon to right the wrongs or is it a long wait til next year?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Don't worry Bus, i'm sure you'll target some stuff that gives you some more hauls yet.

I dare say if i went back to my old style of doing a lot of low key pony, there'd even be some spoils for me.

It's just that eternal question of whether the Cock and Donkey Balls 7.8k offroader is worth a go at, over a targetted flat race.

• Dachs, I can second what Deano said, the 3000 is a funny beast for us road types. I never get near what Mr McMillain has planned for me. But it seems that a 9:15 is about right? Still a cracking time pal.

SG, good to see those cheeky 5min HM/MP session are back, although not ramped up to the full 45 image. Almost back to full intensity now then? You back on the M man plan? You're right about fast races up here, you don't have to wait too long at all!

Deano, you doing any of your road relays? I'm doing the north west and the northerns but our teams are stacked now the whippet kids are 18. Jesus, our team is full of sub 8:45 3K lads and big Stu is the 'weak link.' image I'm in a 'seniors' team which goes head to head with a 'junior' (U20) team.

Matt, already said well done on FB but again, silly stuff! You getting tempted into a full marathon?! image

For me, I'm getting along ok. Just really lack consistency. Hopefully when I get back to work It'll all settle down, I run best over winter too. Love the XC season.

Did a 16 x 1min (1minrec) session on Tuesday. Was covering 300m, and jogging 100M which worked out well. Last 300 was in 49image So obviously I'm still in ok shape. Just need to add in the long runs as they have been soaked up by hangovers this summer! image