Sub 3h15

Comments

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

A middle aged woman heads out for a run with her dog on a lead. Before setting off she takes a gel as pre-race practice. Unusually for her she wears her Garmin to measure distance and pace. It has rained recently but has stopped. She runs along a tow path towards an old railway line that has been laid with gravel and retained as a cycle path. The path runs through forest and alongside fields. She runs for 2 miles to warm up and then proceeds to push faster into a tempo pace for 8 consecutive miles, pausing only to cross a busy main road and a less busy village road. She encounters dog walkers, cyclists, walkers and a horse rider. Fortunately, the dog manages to maintain bowel control for the duration of the tempo miles. After running out for 6 miles she loops back for the remaining 6 miles. Her tempo miles paces seem to vary wildly coming in at 7:17m/m for the first two, then dipping into the sub-7 territory ranging from 6:40m/m to 6:55m/m in no particular order.

Please explain why this pacing should have occurred. She has no bloody clue.

You have 15 minutes to answer this question.
    (10 marks) 

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Lorenzo, congrats on the green light for Comrades. You and Poacher will kill it!

Gul, nice tempo work and hope you get some sleep for the weekend LR.

Birch, happy Bday! Hope I look so good at 60!

SJ, good luck for the race (I'm with GM in not knowing what it is)! Hope the wine is out of the system before the start.

GM, heal well and enjoy the weekend w/your son. You roll w/the punches well.

This has been a cutback week for me. 36 easy miles so far. Biggest mileage month ever for me at 250. Scary start to the week as my right knee felt like the ITB blew up but luckily was fine the next day. But my right hip has been tight all week. Not the TFL this time, but something nearby to it. Not much trouble on the runs but feel it throughout the day. Need to find some good stretches. A little concerned for the race Monday, but will do a few easy miles tomorrow and take Sunday off. Should be good to go (knock wood).

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

MsE, I can picture your path from all those great descriptive cues. The first two are likely because you were still "warming up" but at speed. Did you run under a lot of tree cover? If so, that can screw with the measurement of your miles, making some seem longer (slower) that others. Did you ask the dog yet?image BTW, that dog deserves some serious treats and maybe even an ice bath (aka dip in the lake or river) after that effort!

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Sorry I don't know how to do a link thingy

• Lake District race from Bassenthwaite lake to St Bees, off-road, 35 miles, 4000ft climbing, maps and compasses but supposedly easy to navigate...... See you next Thursday!

VTR, nice mileage total - sounds like the limbs are creaking though!

MsE, did you have a wind problem? 

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Birch - happy birthday image

Gerard- the fizz said things are improving with rest and stretching (tendonitis) but its taking time , the knee is where the pain is but might be back related as its tight on that side .Its been ongoing a long time and my right knee tightens and is sore about 30 mins after every run , after a hard run it virtually siezes up imageother knee is perfect ! I've done some stretching which has kept me mobile but the first 2 miles of every run are a pain(No pun intended) then I can get going .I'm not expecting a fix but want some improvement , its much better now I'm not running but that's not ideal is it ?image

VTr there are some runner stretches on the runnersworld home page now , cracking miles but be careful if things are not right.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Happy Birch-day. Just driven past the Manchester Apollo where the Human League are playing soon - you could comb those locks into a Phil Oakey in tribute to Sheffield's finest
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Birch - Many Happy returns. You can certainly afford that cake with all those 20+ milers you've been putting in recently!

Slokey - Good luck at the SBU35. Nice part of the lakes for a race.

VT - Great monthly stats. I'm sure that your cur back week will help with the niggles. Good luck with your Monday race - but don't stress it if you've still got a few aches and pains.

MsE - Interesting pacing, for which I have no helpful explanation. Good exam question though.

Track repeats for me last night. 3x1600 with 400 jog rec. 6:06, 6:03, 6:00 made them nicely progressive. 7.8 miles in total and early morning biking in the rain today.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Thanks for the well wishes folks - part of the day was appropriately the "cemetery" session" - reps among the headstones with some pals - beer and sarnies followed. Rounded off last night more sedately viewing "Outlaw" hi-lites on TV - respect, SJ !
    Off now for 10.5 with my son & daughter who have volunteered to rise early (for them) to join me - breakfast out to follow - but no visit to the barber, Poacher . . . .(or crooning of "Don't You Want Me Baby) . . . . . . . .

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Morning All.  Did someone mention Comrades?  I'm planning to be there too, I just don't know whether I'll be entering as an international runner or a local runner.  I'll be trying to earn my Bill Rowan for the up run, which I missed after tonsillitis and 32 degrees C in 2013.

I picked up my SA visa yesterday.  I now have the right to live there for 3 years and start working there.  Now I just need to find a job, which is proving difficult.  (I got the rejection as General Manager of Two Oceans marathon)

I'm just coming back to running after basically stopping in March after continuing periostitis.  My training is not much at the moment - I keep off road and maximum 6 miles to date and very low pace.  My strength and endurance are coming back but no where near previous levels so far.  Progress, not perfection.....

I took a visit to the ASICS flagship store on Oxford street yesterday.  A computer gait analysis of my static foot and dynamic running confirmed my wonkiness.   Nevertheless I parted with £110 for a pair of Cumulus 16.

I've now been sober for 100+ days now which is essential for me.

Happy Birthday Birch

• Great that you'll be there as well BI - whereabouts in SA will you be living? Also good news that you're back up and running again. When you say you've been sober for 100+ days does this mean that you've been off alcohol for this time, or just not got hammered in the last 3 months?

Great tempo run MsE. In answer to your question, I suspect that the first couple of miles' pace reflects the fact that you were getting into the swing of it and the relatively small variability (6:40-6:55) for the rest could simply have been down to terrain. Personally I'd look at the average pace over the tempo session and wouldn't worry too much about mile-by-mile splits. You've been very quiet in terms of your Comrades plans - any news?

Longest run for 3 months for me this morning - 15 hilly miles up and around Box Hill. Also experimented with not having any fuel beforehand (apart from a beetroot juice shot) or during the run, so felt a bit hungry when I got back but the overall pace was comparable with a normal fuelled run so pretty satisfactory.

Am tempted to enter the Portsmouth Coastal Marathon in December - anyone with any experience of it?

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo, I'll be living where ever I can find a good job. Ideally I would like to live in Durban or Cape Town. Most jobs are in Jo'burg however. I'm itching to start work again having not been working since March.

I mean I haven't had a drop of alcohol for 100+ days. I did around 4 years without previously.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - Sorry you have to wait another week. We went to see some friends last night, so I knew I wouldn't get much sleep!
    SJ - hope you were up earlier than me then - good luck with the SBU35!
    GM - still thinking of you and the tough time you're having.
    Birch - congratulations - nice photo and cake! You just managed to head out before I finished today.
    MsE - is that 15 mins from when you posted?! Maybe dodging all the other folk and their animals didn't help with the pacing.
    VTr - cracking mileage - best take it easy before the race.
    Fishy - good reps.
    Bike It - good to hear from you. Good luck with the return to training.
    Lorenzo - good long run. I must experiment with some fuelled running soon.
    These late nights are playing havoc with my schedule. Not out till 4:42 today. 21 miles in just over 3 hours. So that's the time on feet run d&dimage

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Poacher - I hear you, I hear you!  This is where I am at:  Now had two scans and awaiting results (should hear next week).  Last scan also involved local anaesthetic being injected into the joint to give some relief but this didn't help at all.  I think this is positive because that means its probably not a labral tear and probably coming from my back.  At the time of my scan I'd put in a biggish week beforehand and this always relieves some pain but its not sustainable.   Resulting from the big week I now have a small tear/pull in the calf and had to pull out of a fell race last week.  I'm now on 10 days no running and then see how it is.   This is making the hip pain worse.  The last two night have resulted in poor sleep because of it.  So, as far as Comrades is concerned I am still not in a position to think about entering.  Boo.   I've been on the bike this morning and heading down to the coast to walk with the dog this afternoon.  Btw, I had dinner at the Old Boat House last night - have you been there?  I highly recommend it if you haven't.   And, did you do the Coastal marathon last weekend?  And, are you still working 40 hours a day doing 10 jobs????

MsE - how can we ever explain pace?!!  I'd say definitely terrain and dodging involved there.  You probably slowed down when meeting/passing people then speeded up in between?  You probably ran the 6 miles as a fartlek instead of tempo!  Either way it doesn't matter but shows you are going very well.

Lorenzo - my cousin has done it a few times and rates it.  However, he is more of an easy paced runner so not sure if this makes a difference.  I know it can be quite exposed and it in the middle of winter.... Brrr.  I think Poacher did it last year?

Happy birthday Birch. image

Gul - crazy as ever.image

Off to defer Yorkshire marathon and GNR.  image

• Looking good, Birch.  Happy birthday. 
    Very impressed with your recent long runs, by the way.  I already suspected that my own training has been hopelessly inadequate, but it's good to have this confirmed.  Thank you. 

Nice work on the 100, Bike It.

• Minni - doesn't sound too great. Fingers crossed for the results. Thanks for the observations on Portsmouth Coastal - I'll probably take it semi-seriously and more about getting the qualifying time for Comrades rather than a full-on PB attempt given the likely conditions. Just don't want to leave everything hinging on London just in case.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Birch: happy birthday!

Things busy but good this end, so sorry for such a brief post.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday Birch

Brave Minni, I wimped out of that injection in the joint image

Back from nice holiday, another solid week, now time to taper for GNR.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday Birch

Brave Minni, I wimped out of that injection in the joint image

Back from nice holiday, another solid week, now time to taper for GNR.

• TAR image

Welcome back BI!

Good to hear that you are making progress on getting a diagnosis Minni. Shame it's still interfering with your plans though.

Gul I was up at 3:30am [insert frowny face].

SBU35 today. Beautiful, brutal at times, sometimes very technical, longer and more climbing than advertised (didn't help that I got lost twice to add to those totals). Stereotypical Lakes day with almost every possible type of weather in the same day. 

Short version: found myself running the first 11 miles with the course record holder and a 2:44 marathoner,occasionally occupying first place - this was a mistake. 

Long version: then found myself in 7th place over Honister and into the Ennerdale Valley and making good progress. Got lost and lost 2 places. Got lost again and lost another 4 places at about the 28mile point followed by some nasty calf cramping whilst having to walk up another steep climb. Reminded myself that this is a B race and started to think about conserving my legs for next week and lost heart a bit - so had a stretch and a lie down. No point burying myself for a place in the teens is there now? Jogged through the next valley and marched up the next hill letting a few more go past and was then passed with about 4.5miles to go by a very chirpy and springy third lady who soon disappeared down the road. 

Slogged through the next couple of miles with a jog/walk and turned to see someone gaining fast and only 100m behind so I put the hammer down and knocked out 2miles at 8:40mm (which the way I'd been feeling was a minor miracle) to completely drop my  pursuer. Walked the last bit with a jog to the finish area and improved my pace and form over the last 100m just in case there were any photos.

Tough day out but stunning scenery and a free pint at the end. What more could you ask for?

• Nearly forgot - 19th place, 7hr 22.  

• Watched Outlaw. Pleased to see my chops on the box so prominently. Slightly miffed that the editing made it look like a shed load of people finished before me who I actually left in my wake of awesomeness. Harrumph.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Great report SJ! What does SBU stand for? I'm coming over to do two of the trail races in Nov - ullswater and erm, can't remember. They are on the same weekend.

OO - it wasn't the most pleasant experience but interesting at the same time. Whimp!!

I went to see the Body Worlds exhibition last week. Has anyone else seen it? Totally fascinating and well worth a visit.
  • AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Hi all image

Back in the land of the connected after a week of camping near Lyme Regis. We now have a house full of fossils that the Ms As are very proud of! A quick read back, but particular mentions for Birch's landmark birthday (many happy returns), Minni's on-going hip issues (hope you get some resolution), SJ's continued mad racing schedule (another v.impressive result) and welcome back to BI. To others; I've read and digested, but reckon you'd get bored if I recited a long list here! 

No running during the camping week to rest the Achilles. So, into today's last game of the league season, and felt fit for the first time for ages. Half way through my 10 over spell, I pull the other f***ing quad from earlier in the season, so now my left leg is out of commission and I face another 2 weeks on the sidelines. I love cricket, but this season is testing my patience to the limit! Might go quiet while I recover. Tour next weekend, then the focus is back on running.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Briefly, as (Minni) I have not sorted out the work - in fact I am there right now at 0419 image

I have run Portsmouth twice - scenic enough and dead flat, but not fast. Elements of multi terrain including some sand/mud/shingle. Always a headwind coming down the Solent which prevents a fast finish.  However sub 3.20 is good for Comrades purposes and quite doable. FWIW I did 3.27 last year (but had done 3.23 the previous day)

BI - welcome back. Good luck with the job thing. Enter Comrades as a foreigner and come join me/Lorenzo/?Minni? in the international finish area

Great race SJ, but Honister must have been tough

Back to the grindstone

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Slokey - nice racing and report, 7 hours is a long time to be out so a lie down was deserved image Leading from the start excellent image

Abbers - not another injury -sack that cricket , its nearly as bad as running !

Poacher- good-luck today , that's an early start.

more stretching for me , now I can almost do some of these stretches after 2 weeks of trying image Its been noticed I've more free time recently so a list of decorating demands has been assigned image

• Just over 11 this morning got me over 40 for the week, and over 160 for August which is good considering the time I have been away in business and holiday. 1,554 for the year so 2,400 looks off the cards (need to be at 1,600 now and 200 a month from here on in) but still a good year so far.

Ran Lanhydrock parkrun last Saturday: 2 miles mainly downhill and one hard uphill at the end. Start was a downhill cavalry charge and I was in about 20th. 10 soon fell aside with the first minor incline and i was 10th at the bottom of the course, then overtook 3 youngsters on the climb back in and dropped them by about a minute. Looked them all up onpo10 and they are all county level 800/ 1500 with times close to 2 minutes and a mile in 5 minutes so no sluggards.

• Honister was indeed a killer Poacher. I hadn't appreciated how much more climbing there was left to do, nor how steep it is, once you get higher than Honister Pass. The top of the fell was covered in cloud and raining and quite treacherous underfoot and the descent into Ennerdale was so technical it was slower than the climb! Quads are sore today.

Do you still have your Abingdon place available? Can't decide between Abingdon and Frankfurt..... The "glamour:£" ratio is under consideration.

Abbers, who knew that cricket was so dangerous? It's starting to sound interesting!

Minni, it's Helvellyn and Ullswater that are on back to back days. Good choice. I think there's a ferry ride to the start of the Ullswater race across the lake (which I'm swimming the length of next weekend image). The lakeland trail races are all well marked and runnable but the trails can be a bit narrow so it's worth going out hardish at the start so as not to be having to overtake too many people on the first climbs. You'll have a great time.

Nice racing and annual total PMJ 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Hope you studied the hip joints Minni!

5 recovery miles for me, 43 for the week. Thighs are still very tight after a 600M hill climb I did in Italy a couple of days ago. I think it was the sprint down hill on the return which did more damage.

I've lost track of you plans PMJ- what are you aiming for in the remainder of this season? 

My future races are;

GNR next week, Lausanne 1/2 marathon late October (might upgrade to the marathon), then 2 * 10 milers- Derwentwater (Keswick) in November,  then Brampton to Carlisle in December. Hoping to break the hour in B to C.