Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie see wrote (see)

SG, good to see those cheeky 5min HM/MP session are back, although not ramped up to the full 45 image

Some people are doing the full 45... image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hello Stevie - welcome back image. I agree with Matt and the Marathon - his 3 peaks time shows he already has the endurance and as for that half time...

SG - E O'G is the King of the Cock and Balls local off-roader that's for sure!

Somewhat disappointing session in the end for me. Decided it was about time to do a tempo, especially as I've not run a parkrun for a few weeks, so with the time available settled for a 1.75M w/u then 4M at target HMP, then a mile or so warm down. Came out as 5:58, 6;06, 6;12 (!) 6:08. Quite a bit off the target 6mm and I found the tempo very hard, having not done one for ages! The 2nd mile had a bit of an incline, and mile 3 was going OK, but the last 0.2M was up a fairly sharp incline, whihc sent me into oxygen deficit which lasted well into mile 4, whihc should have been well under 6, as half of it was slightly downhill.

Hey ho, at least it's done.... 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

In hindsight, even trying the 35min version was mad, 4 days after a race. After all, i'd done 1 full session in 3months, and was trying 2 hard efforts in 4 days! Mad.

The M man has been touring tennis wise for about 4months. Hopefully he's up for picking things up again. I might not be the fastest he's ever trained, but I doubt many have been more committed.

Bus, no doubt there was some mitigating circumstances like my Tue sesh. You might have gone in too hard. From past experience, i've had to build up with a range of MP jobs first, then add in HMP-MP spells, then down the line start doing 2 or 3miles at HMP. Are you sure your HMP is currently 6 dead or just a round number? If it's really 6, maybe i could combine a MP job with your HMP one time, and the extra motivation might help!

Either way, sessions like you did all add up positive benefits.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I may try a marathon next year but that 3 peaks time Bus needs some serious revision. I think my bonk going over ingleborough cost me a good 10-15 minutes. 

i need to buy thamama ration training book before I was to have a go as I'd probably peak on one of my long runs and fail miserably come race day if I didn't add a bit of structure. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Mad indeed!

Target HMP is 6 dead for 1:18:36. Current PB is 1:18:46  and that difference of less than 1 sec per mile really grates!! Not really expecting to get close to that at Maidenhead next week any more though - largely due to a lack of tempos, especially longer ones. Will settle for a sub 80...

Could be a useful session to combine (if ever I can get to work from home again!!)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cross post Matt - stopping for a bonk is always going to cost a bit of time image

• Lit, sorry I didn't realise your on the full whack! So credit where it's due!

Bus, it may feel it didn't go well but 6-12 seconds per mile isn't a write-off. Tempos are hard at the best of times so you may want to feel your way in with some short MP runs, as SG suggested.

I did something along those lines today:

2WU, 6 at MP (6:40, 6:41, 6:37, 6:46, 6:39, 6:26), 1WD with strides. The 6:37 was downhill, the next mile at 6:46 was going back up! Nice rest day tomorrow with some athletics on the telly tonight! Feet up job.

• Bus - I'd take ONE sub 80, never mind settle for it!! image

Matt, does your Mrs know about all this mountain top bonking you get up to!!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Bus, tempo sessions are about effort, so if you weren't feeling it today for whatever reason, it'll still have been a good session.

Pacey last rep SS!

SG, yep, it was 3 heats, with 9:10 being the cut off for my heat, so there was no-one setting a fast pace to try to hang off. I calculated that running the entirety of the first mile in lane 2 =28 extra metres, which is 5 seconds. I should have gone straight to the front to get the inside. Oh well. Matt, there are a couple nore, but I'm more in HM/10k related training at the moment, so we'll see.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Of course Dachs, sprinting to the inside can mean you overshoot it. I'd have liked a couple more goes this summer to try and find the perfect mix of fast to the inside, but not so fast the next laps all slow down.

However, that's parked for another year. And I hope to have one last big training spell without injuries to have a go at the pbs one time.

If that doesn't happen, i'll probably revert back to small time race hustler, admired by the Marlow and Handy Cross types, but reviled by the likes of this thread.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Stevie, I'm as sure of you going sub 1hr 20 for a half marathon, as I'm sure Ric likes his pre race hydration.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ditto - next time out on a reasonable course Stevie given all your other times now!

Very good point Dachs, and probably on that basis, it was possibly even a bit over the effort it should have been in places (including a bit of trademark retching toward the end image).

There - I knew you'd all make me feel better about it image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Dachs did you consider running behind the leader in the inside lane Instead of lane 2? image

SS - good to see you back. Your club has a load of really good youngsters coming through, if big stu is a weak link then you will go well in the relays. I'm away for the midlands but will run in the nationals. 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Scrap the marathon plans, I've just had a browse on the Sub 3 thread. ???? they knock some sessions out on there!!!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

They are all mad!!!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

matt - you could bounce a sub 2.45 mara out before xmas if you wanted.  with proper training plan you would break 2.30  

The question is why run a marathon? image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Matt, some of them do some seriously hardcore sessions and mega mileage. Mind you, some of them knock out sub 3s on barely any mileage at all, with a bit of cycling. Plenty of different training philosophies on that thread. One thing I would mention is that many (not necessarily all) of those who do monster long runs and sessions run phenomenal marathons but have shorter distance times that don't match up. That's fine for many of them because they're marathon runners first and foremost, but might be something you'd want to bear in mind.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

that sub 3 is all over the place. Ridiculous page turnover, and people doing 3.10s mixing with people doing 2.20s.

Too stacked a thread really. A thread like this is a lot easier to navigate.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

each time the marathons come along I'm finding myself drawn to having a go. With my daughter coming along last year I didn't think I'd manage to get the miles so thats why i stuck to the 10ks but I've managed to fit them in no bother. 

my main goal is my 10k time and maybe ill have a go once I've hit my target. 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Which training books are the best to buy? daniels running formula and the p and d book? 

• Step away from the marathon! 

No running since Monday, a single turbo session and an easy ride this week. Tomorrow is another achilles test at parkrun. I'll see how it goes. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Don't listen to them Matt!

Your fell exploits clearly show that you have natural endurance and combined with your half time there is a real possibility you might have a natural talent over the longer distances (as well as the shorter ones I might add!).

Do a marathon sometime next year, but on your own terms - just like the half! Not an "all-out-this-is-a-once-in-a-lifetime-chance" type effort, but a more relaxed affair with just enough preparation for it to be relatively comfortable, just to see what might happen if at some stage in the future you did apply yourself to it...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hope the Achilles holds up OK tomorrow by the way Iron...

• So Woodley's 100th parkrun and I made it round the whole 5km at WP. Admittedly she started to walk at the top of the 'hill' on lap3.

Achilles is a hell of a lot better than last week, slightly tender afterwards rather than screaming when it's touched.

Edit. I want to go out and run again. Which is nice! Post parkrun I had my eyes tested, and will be getting glasses that I will need to wear all the time. More expense!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Hope things get better soon on the Achilles front iron. 

Will you have to get one of them elastic straps  to keep the specs on when running? 

Scrapped the idea of the 5km tonight. Legs not fully recovered from Sunday. Managed a 10 and a 4 today at above 7 min miling and will do 15 tomorrow. Away up Fort William next Friday to Sunday for the Ben Nevis race although I'm not racing. I'm going to have a jog up though and take some pictures hopefully. Planning on getting a couple of tempos in this week and get some decent miles in. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Progress Iron!

Nice run with Philip this morning. 11.7M (to make 50 for the week image) hilly off-road with plenty of chat putting the worlds to rights. The adductor held up OK just about. However, sitting having brekkie after my left foot became really painful, even without any weight on it. There was nothing whilst running that indicated a problem. Massaging it, I can feel a very tender spot on the plantar fascia, which makes bending my big toe up very painful. I've iced it and had it up for the last hour or so and it eased off, but just sitting here typing it's starting to throb again....not good image

• bus, hope it gets better. You were running along very nicely for the first 9 or so miles but I did notice you were starting to pull up towards the end. The run got me over 40 for the week, and over 160 for August which is good considering the time I have been away in business and holiday. 1,554 for the year so 2,400 looks off the cards (need to be at 1,600 now and 200 a month from here on in) but still a good year so far.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well the foot seems OK now thank goodness! I got dragged out with the family for a walk by the Thames so put on my most cushioned trainers, more in hope than expectation! As I couldn't even drive - too painful to press down the clutch -I was only expecting to hobble to the nearest bench and sit by the river waiting for them. I persevered walking on the side of the foot though, and once warmed up it seemed to ease a bit and then get better and better. Very odd, given just how painful it was earlier - I thought it was a definite out of action for weeks job!! Will have to see how it is in the morning, but fingers crossed.

As for miles, despite the hols, it's been a reasonable month with 214 miles, to make 1654 for the year to date.

• Definitely progress!

Unsure about the glasses Matt, they're to make my life easier rather than being a must to see. What do the 4-eyed lot here do?

Your foot problem sounds as random as the achilles thing Bus. Very odd.

After jnr parkrun I cycled up through Henley to Marlow, via the Hambledon valley. Lovely. Then back down through Maidenhead riverside (nice) and Maidenhead (not nice). A very easy 70km over 3 hours. Followed by an even easier 8km with my daughter at the local Skyride.

Some good totals nevertheless Bus & PMJ.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

few niggles creeping back on the thread, always bad to see.

You can be sure some people lurking would be thinking "why run through", but always different when you're the one involved. I think it's fairly unrealistic to think you can year on year out smash 50-60miles a week with every run feeling perfect.

Similarly, standard job today. 13 run, 6.58 pace, even with that Winchcombe drudge thrown in. Usual hamstring/back feels, and an odd side on tightness, too high for hip, not back, but to the side. Most odd, and something I remember feeling for the first time playing footy a few months ago.

61 for the week, am obviously pretty fit still, but sort of locked in this limited zone, when I want to be getting back into the proper stuff. Physio Friday.