'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Just popped back to say I did a sneaky run (a la JJ) before dinner tonight. Did my 3.25ml route around town at 10:03 pace (which is good for me!). But checking back I see I've managed this route at 9:37 pace before (back in 2011) so at least I have a target to aim for.

• WtnMel, It's always good to have a target to aim at.

Last night was a pyramid session on the grass track. The gate into the field was unlocked this time, so the Caretaker got away with having his knuckles rapped. We did 2 sets of 30 60 90 120 90 60 30 seconds with 30 seconds jog recovery between each effort, and 90 seconds recovery between sets. I was pleased that my pace for the efforts on the second set was quicker than the first. I think this is because I know how to pace myself. Many runners did the first set much too hard, so that they were slower during the second and I was able to overtake them. This only comes with experience, and I'm always telling club mates not to run out to the sessions too quickly, as this impairs their ability to get the best out of them. Also, some run hard on the return to base, which to me, means they haven't put enough effort into the session. The run outs and run backs should be at easy pace. 

That was my last speed session before Sunday's Overton 5 mile race. I'll be taking it easy for the rest of the week. This morning will be an easy pace road run.

• Afternoon peeps,

No running today as have been out and about since first thing and don't go for a run after 2pm unless it's an emergency. Have swapped my rest days accordingly yet again.

Well done TE. The others should heed your advice. Rest well so you can run string on Sunday.

• (like the typo, Red!)

Interval session today. Warm-up running to the lake, then 3 x (10 minutes at threshold, 2 mins jog recovery), then cool-down running back home. Apart from the fact that the first 10 minutes turned out to be 9 (how hard is it to add 10 to something?), I was quite pleased with this, mainly because my heart rate did what it was supposed to do. Speeds were 11:22mm (that was over the 9 minutes), 11:36, 11:27. Distances were .87 of a mile, with .79 for the 9-minute interval.

• Oh poop, I really must check what I type!!!!

• Still lurking, and impressed by the high mileages. I like this thread becasue you are all an inspiraiton to me in different ways.

JJ I note your wife is undergoing 'treatment'. Whatever for, I do hope it is succesful, and that your running responds to the training. And well doen for fixing the washing machine - a practical man is good to know.

Red, you are right, when I met you for the first time (2003), you had the reddest hair I'd ever seen, and I was very grateful to the little group of RW people who made me feel so welcome at my first outing, and encouraged me round Hyde Park.

Columba, the heart rate training as if it is working well. Do you find it easier to follow than training based on time or distance?

WTnMel, your mileage is increasing. Are you building to a particulr event. (If I could run 10:03 I'd be very happy!)

DianaD, photo sorting is a retirement project, along wiht maintaining a beautiful garden. I thought of you when we were in Galstonbury recently - you've dne a lovely job with the van.

BIW, I did a sort of mental 'thud' when I read 67kilos! Glad to hear the corrected weight. I get worried if Jet goes above 12.2. Last week he was 12.4 and had his rations cut and his walk extended to get rid of the extra. I may not be slim and fit, but there's no excuse for the dog image

HS, (were you T****** E****?) your consistency is admirable - years of practice and experience paying off?

I'm quite frustrated at being injured again because I took the decision about three years ago to try to avoid the knee problems that have been my bugbear (I would say achillees heel, except it isn't the achilles that complains!) by changing my running style from heel striking to forefoot striking with a higher cadence and shorter stride length.  It has been a succesful change and my injury level plummeted.

This time round I think I just 'forgot' - to run carefully, and that I am now almost 10 years older than my avatar. Following a mile of warm-up I was at .99 of a timed mile and pushing myself to get under a particular target when the 'pop' happened. It wouldn't surprise me if I had reverted to what comes naturally and over-strided.

Anyway the good news is that I'm seeing a physio tomorrow and will listen very very carefully to the advice I'm given. As you all so rightly comment above, use it while you've got it. Now all I have to do is make a very gentle comeback without hurting myself again.

• Helegant, yes I was, and still am TE. I only changed my user name to bring it into line with other forums. My years of practice and experience are indeed paying off, as I have reversed the steady decline in pace and am now racing faster than years ago. I will never be as quick as at my best, but my age related times are now similar to then. I hope you will benefit from your visit to the physio tomorrow, and have a successful comeback.

I ran a very slow 4 miles on roads this morning on heavy legs. The aftermath of yesterdays pyramid session.

• JJ, good news that Mrs JJ's tests were positive. I always ensure recovery days before races to ensure that I get the most out of my fast training.

This morning as I was buttering some toast, the smoke alarm went off taking me completely by surprise. The toast wasn't burnt, so I don't know why it started shrieking.

This morning will be another short recovery run, as tonight's Kenyan hills would be counter productive.

• Morning all,

JJ, that's fantastic news. I remember from when I had my own blip all those years ago that being told everything was clear and I didn't need to go back for another 3 months felt like a massive step forward. May her recovery continue apace so that life can resume a sense of normality xxx image

Helen, I miss the Serpies NYD 10k as it was a happy little gathering. Re your knee. In my early days of running I had a problem with my left knee and was told by a Physio that I had a tear in the meniscus (sp?) and needed an operation. Thankfully I met Mary Massage Lady and she sorted me out with deep tissue work. Please make sure you get a second opinion. Good luck and I hope you heal soon.

I had a triple A run today - that of an ageing, arthritic, asthmatic! Cut it short at 7 miles as there was no point pushing any further.

• JJ, that's wonderful, you must both be so relieved! - Have a lovely family-and-dog holiday, hope you can now relax and enjoy it.

Helegant - the only reason I'm using the HR training is that I'm following an individualised schedule which I got free of charge (related to a purchase from Sweatshop a year or more ago), and that's what it uses. I found it very unhelpful at first, but I tweaked it a bit, having re-measured my resting HR and re-estimated my maximum HR. Also have learned to take account of warm weather and uphill running, both of which push it up like anything. All that done, it makes better sense. But I shall be quite glad to see the back of the HRM, once I reach the end of this training schedule.
    Hope the physio is helpful re your knee / achilles.

Off for a swim shortly.  

• A 4 mile jog this morning. Legs feeling good and rearing to go on Sunday.

• Great news JJ, and I hope you have a great holiday.

Briefly, and underlining what RH wrote, the physio found no evidence of torn meniscus (I suppose it could have healed in the last 5 weeks), and luckily the consultant didn't want to operate anyway.

She did note "when I press here and here and you say 'ouch' that's a ligament" (Medial Collateral Ligament), and also two separate sites of muscle soreness - at the top of the Gastocnemius and at the base of the Vastus Lateralis where there is still some swelling. So she's treating what she's found and I'll go back next week.

• Still here. Not running at the moment because I hurt my little finger. Back soon.

• Thanks JJ. The race doesn't start until 2pm which is unusual for a road race, and is probably one of the reasons that it is not popular with my club. Also 40 or so miles is a long way to drive for a 5 miler. I'm only doing it as it is the first in this years Hampshire Road Race League, and we want to get off to a good start.

I woke up with cramp in my right calf, so glad I'm not running today.

Athletics from Brussels this evening at 7pm on BBC3, which is the 14th and final Diamond League event.

Very sad news that a lady was stabbed to death in a field in the New Forest whilst she was tending her 2 horses.

• Afternoon,

Today was a better day with 6 miles @ MP. Breathing still carp though so not pushing hard until it improves.

TE, we'll have no "rearing" thank you very much! You've caught my typo bugimage Good luck for the weekend.

Helen, good, that sounds promising. rest, rest and more rest.

JJ, take care of those long legs please and follow your own advice and be sensible. We went to Penshurst to the craft/food fair today and were greatly underwhelmed by the stallholders this year.

Fat Face, why are you going to hurt your back soon?

Have a lovely weekend everyone. We've got the Garden Society Show tomorrow and I'm in charge of the raffle and have just baked a cake for the refreshment table - I'm hoping it will last until tomorrow or I might have to bake another one. Sunday is either 18 or 20 miles depending on how I'm feeling.

• Just remembered the lady with the horses. That's horrible TE image

• JJ - keep us all informed with regard to the come-back training in the 70+ age group, - could be useful to each, any and all of us at some point!

Swimming yesterday, recovery run today. The last and longest of the Long Runs to come tomorrow; or maybe Sunday if feeling lazy tomorrow.

Is your cake lasting so far, Redhead?

• Red, I think I must have made that word up. The nearest I can get is the reference to horses up on their hind legs" rearing up" Is that correct, or am I talking rubbish? Good luck with your 18/20 miler on Sunday. You'll probably be finished before the start of my race.

I'll be 70 next year, so JJ's come back training will be useful.

Columba, hope your long run goes well.

I've been scanning through our Race Diary and I believe the xc race I'm doing in December is the SEAA Masters xc at Horspath, Oxford. It's on the 13th December, so I'll be 69 and probably one of the oldest in the 65+ category.

• Morning all,

Procrastination rules here this morning but I'm off out, at last, for a short plod and to collect the paper on the way back.

TE, horses do indeed rear up and sometimes they do it with a rider in-situ! Good luck tomorrow.

Columba, the GS cake is still intact largely due to the fact that I made a cheese and plum tray bake for us just in case image

Right, must run!

• Thanks Red.

Another rest day from running, so to make up for it, I've done a strenuous core session, including 20 rapid press ups. I've got quite a full race programme now, which is the Overton 5 miles tomorrow, the Victory 5 miles the week after, the Solent Half Marathon 2 weeks later, and I'm contemplating entering the Alton Uplands 10k the Sunday after. This is classified as multi terrain, hilly with very steep hills. This appeals to me following the SD Half and Harting 10 miler earlier. All being well, I've got more races pencilled in later in the year.  

It's the Alton Downlands, not Uplands as I wrote.

• TE - it probably feels like uplands when you're running it!

TE and Red - I think the phrase is "raring to go". I have never come across the word "raring" in any other context; but it is in the dictionary.

Very impressed by TE's strenuous core session. I do  few bits of core work from time to time, but nothing systematic - and certainly not 20 rapid press-ups, or 20 press-ups of any kind.

Long run done. 2 and a half hours, the first 2 hours supposedly at LSR pace and the last half hour at half-marathon pace. I recorded it as 5 30-minute laps. Speeds over the first four were in the 13 - 14mm range, and on the last was 12:57mm, which is slower than I'm hoping my half-mara pace will be, but was at least faster than the others. The overall distance was just under 11 miles, so at least it was into double figures and I now feel fairly confident that I can manage 13.1. And the race will not be as undulating as today's run was. 

• Thanks Columba. I did look up "raring" but it wasn't in my Concise Oxford Dictionary, so I didn't think it was a legitimate word. Well done on your long run, and pace was correct to be slower than race pace.

I'm looking forward to watching the GNR tomorrow morning, which will put me in the right frame of mind for the afternoon race.

• We are tossing up whether to watch the race or go to the pool for the last outdoor swim of the year. After tomorrow the pool will be closed for 3 weeks while the bubble roof is erected, then we have indoor swimming until spring. Bah, I hate it, would rather swim outdoors any day. Think I'll do the New Year's day swim this time around.

Took my new young work colleague Sarah with me to dog club today, she asked to come and really enjoyed watching the dogs. She took lots of pics too, once she sends them to me I'll post some up on here if there are some good ones.

• BIW, our indoor pool at the leisure centre, which is where our club meet up prior to our running sessions, has been closed for several weeks now for refurbishment. The gym has also been re-equipped with the latest "gadgets." I used to swim twice a week, but I'm afraid it must be at least 4 years since I last swam.

Quite misty first thing this morning but it has cleared up now. Forecast is good for this afternoon, 22 degrees, so looking forward to the race.  I will do a write up in the evening if I don't fall asleepimage

• Afternoon all,

Hope it isn't too hot for your race TE - it's 22 degrees here at the moment.

Nice running Columba.

Misty here first thing then scorchio by the time I finished my 19 miler. I'd forgotten how hard the downhill sections were on this route and my quads are letting me know now! Light gardening for me this afternoon.

• Will be light gardening here too, as soon as I've finished my after-lunch coffee.

BIW - you're exceptional. I should think most people would rather swim indoors than out during the winter.

• Columba I suffer with chlorine allergy, after indoor swimming I sneeze constantly for about half an hour - outdoors the chlorine effect is much less, it dissipates in the air.

5 mile run this morning, then 2 hours on the indoor bike while watching the GNR, great win for Mo but he really had to work for it.

• Red, well done on your 19 miler!! I'm amazed that you still had the energy for gardening after that.

It was also very hot this afternoon for the Overton 5 mile, but I didn't take water at the half way point. It was a repeating route with some nasty steep hills, but I ran it hard from start to finish. My chip time was 37.10 an average pace of 7.27 and WAVA of 76.71. I hope to run quicker next Sunday at the Victory 5 mile, which is flat as a pancake, and starts and finishes on the Mountbatten running track.