Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• More than OK Ric - positiviely quick

Matt - puts my blister into context that's for sure!

SG - saw that comment from her on fb. Made me laugh too, I mean, turns????

Usual post race feeling today. Bit stiff, sore groin, and absolutely ravenous! I'm also almost back to my pre-holiday weight, despite eating and drinking shed loads yesterday!

• Matt3 wrote (see)
    That's the plan Dean. Really excited about following the schedule off someone who knows a bit about running.image 

is that Mr Hill?  either way i would'nt mind a sneak peak. im not looking to peak for a 10k until march but im getting conflicting advice on training for it.  Some sessions are 10k in volume ran at 10k target pace.  Others are a mix of threshold runs plus sessions of about 5k ran at 5k pace.

good work Ric.

• It will be interesting to see what you can produce Matt of a structured "proven" program..

Dean - my current program (by someone whose pretty reputable) over a 15 week plan, is a lot of tempo stuff and basically all at least 10km volume sessions such as 10 x 1km at goal pace but mainly longer stuff / tempos or progression runs

When I did my own thing (taking advice from a mix of things) it's was between 5-10km volume and not so much tempo stuff. It did work well but it'll be interesting to see how I fair now, there's very few session that work on speed as such so it's more about conditioning my speed endurance.. It would probably have worked better when I was running my PB. My intervals are currently slower than my PB pace which is frustrating but can't see how I'll run much quicker based on sessions I do. Will see.....
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, I actually thought when you wrote positiviely quick, you were referring to your HM. Despite my pb for the distance, I haven't beaten 80 minutes for more than a decade. So sub 80 minutes is quick. Well done.

Dean, I made mention of switching to 800m and 1500m racing. I wasn't joking. Its all your fault, so if/when my hamstring snaps with a sound like a rifle shot (again) I'll know who to blameimage.

Actually inspired by a club mate who took up 800m at the age of 55 and nailed a bronze in the UK champs running 2:13.

🙂

• Go for it ric.  Track is where it is at...image

• Great Racing HM boys and SG. Post holiday binge and your squeeze out a sub 80! You're a machine!

Good to see lots of 10K chat on here, I'm aiming at running a quick one 2nd Nov hopefully, but depends on a few things, if not... Leeds Abbey dash again! Hopefully we can all share ideas and spur each other on. Had another decent week this week, despite early week being recovery focused after the 10K pothunt.

M - 5miles

T - 7miles

W - 5miles

T - Tempo 6min, 4 x 4mins, 6mins

F - rest

S - 15miles

S - 8miles

Most encouraging thing was the LSR was at 7:10pace and it felt a breeze, even at the end I was having to focus on not speeding up. NW road relays this sat but hopefully another 15-16 Sunday LSR. Starting to feel fit again.

Bit of a medical question, has anyone had their blood tested recently. I was feeling tired had my bloods done which found that red blood cells were very low. I've subsequently found out this is common for endurance athletes as we have more blood plasma which dilutes the red cells. I heard Cavendish had 6litres more blood plasma than your average Joe?

•  

Stevie see wrote (see)

Bit of a medical question, has anyone had their blood tested recently. I was feeling tired had my bloods done which found that red blood cells were very low. I've subsequently found out this is common for endurance athletes as we have more blood plasma which dilutes the red cells. I heard Cavendish had 6litres more blood plasma than your average Joe?

Mrs had a blood test and found low ferritin (iron), so we looked in to the whole shebang including Haemocrit. With some F tablets she is running faster and doesn't sound as breathless whilst running.

What you've said of haemocrit is true, but also signs of some horrendous sicknesses/illnesses image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Dean, no its not Mr Hill. It's a bit like SGs plan with Moraghan where I will only get the next weeks schedule after I've pretty much completed my first week as they want to see how I get on. 

Ive not got a clue what's in store in the coming weeks but after a chat this morning I had this weeks schedule altered due to a bad case of DOMS. My sessions will be mon, thurs and sat with the looks of things as they're the days I can get to a track. 

Couple of easy short runs today and tomorrow then 10 on Wed at 6.30-6.45 pace with 5x 80m strides to finish. Tempo on thurs which is 2.5 warm up and down then 3@5.30  pace and then 5x1000 off 60secs and 5x200 on Saturday. Just 12 miles long run on Sunday. Got 3 days of core work sessions to also do. 

• Thanks Ric/Stevie. Must admit, when you're on this thread and regularly lurk on the sub 3, it's easy to forget that a sub 1:20 half is actually a pretty fair milestone, so it's good to be reminded! I'm looking forward to my DOMS on Wednesday Matt....

Stevie - 15 miles at 7:10 pace feeling easy is a nice place to be - shame you haven't got a flat half round the corner yourself!

As for low iron (Ferritin, not the cat variety) you can't beat a bit of steak - certainly preferable to the spinach or broccoli option image 

• Stevie see wrote (see)

I did after the fainting-in-half-marathon fiasco last autumn. We thought I was going to be anaemic because that is a thing that often happens to female endurance athletes but it turned out I had more iron than normal women my age.

Bus - I like my steak with a huge portion of spinach on the side. And I would be very impressed with myself if I ran a sub 1:20 half.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Bus, damn good racing and a decent write up too. I know you're not 100% satisfied with some of your recent races, but to your credit you're damn consistent, and you never seem to really have a stinker. Great to get under 1:20.

PMJ - solid half and gives you something to go on for CP10.

SG - sounds a bizarre race to not see anyone else, but great to see you back racing, and some very decent paces.

Had my longest run since VLM on Saturday, 17 at 6:53 pace. Then a 10 with 5 @ threshold today.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

got to get to bed, so forgive me unleashing this post and not referencing the above pade ! But it's  good one!!

http://www.stragglers.org/index.php/races/race-results/395-river-relay-2014

Was told the itemised Relay results from Sunday were out, and was shocked to hear someone had apparently taken 3 1/2mins off Graham our star man over 6.5miles!

Checked the results, and it’s only bloody Samir who has done it!!!imageimage 

33.05 for what was apparently a 6.5miles leg in the mailout, so 5.06 ish?! And a mid 31 10k within what would have been a timetrial and a bit MT?

They've either bodged these results up a bit, the distance wasn't the full amount or he's come on incredibly. ( I discount option 2, as my leg and another guy's came out a bit longer this year due to diversions)

His club Ealing managed to make a balls up of one of the handover points though, which is annoying, as it's slightly greyed up the accuracy of the stats.

I picked up the baton with a 2.55 lead for instance at end of leg 4, and got us home with a 7.46min lead?!?  I can only imagine the delay happened here, and was somewhere in the 90secs-3mins type domain.

We'd have still won it comfortably, but always better when there's no excuses around. Ealing still came 2nd quite nicely though.

Love to know the truth about all the timings, I guess keep an eye on Samir's PO10, even thought there's nothing on there suggesting anything that fast.

• Stevie G I hope for option 3! I looked at his Po10 recently and was sorely disappointed to see no new activity.

Stevie See - yes I had iron deficiency anemia in spring 2013.  Which number is low for you, and how low? For me diagnosis was the start of a big treat: after a few weeks on iron pills I was about 10% faster than I'd ever been before.  It was a nuisance going to lots of hospital appointments to rule out possible malign causes but easily outweighed by the joy of the speed gain! good luck sorting it.

• SG, I can't think what has happened for him to come off Reading and be capable of a 31 minute 10km, talent etc we talked about wasn't coming through after a year - 18 months of running and didn't improve over 5km for months...

Course either long or bodged results. It could be 4 miles or 7 miles I guess we wouldn't find out. Would be interesting to see what he actually ran with a Garmin or the like. Glad to see him running after his injury etc though and maybe he'll prove us wrong with a "proper" race and running a very quick time!

I'm excited to see what times will be produced over the autumn / winter from everyone here though
  • Thanks Dachs/Lit. Just this weekend I found myself wondering where Mr Haddad had disappeared to and even if he was still running!...

• I think I will wait for an official timed and measured race before I'm convinced of 31 capability. Shouldn't be a long wait though as isnt the ealing half coming up soon.  With the correct coaching I'm sure he will run some fast times though. 

• I can't wait for another commemorative plate. What would happen if he did his sub 2 marathon on the same day the Royal baby was due? That would be some serious souvenir! 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

They've either bodged these results up a bit, the distance wasn't the full amount or he's come on incredibly. .

Jurassic improvements!

• The extremely expensive race photos from Maidenhead are now on Sussex photgraphy. Pics 36 to 39 of me crossing the line make for interesting viewing though! (race number 3430 for anyone interested or bored enough!). Don't quite remeber feeling that bad!

• Lol, made me laugh Dachs.. Old times!!

I was thinking SG you shouldn't be encouraging pavement PBs tooimage
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure how red hot they are with timings as a whole, but the organisers took down the split i'd recorded myself.

So I wonder if they let Samir quote his own time image

Unfortunately, he didn't overtake our man, as that would have given some kind of idea whether he was monstering 5.06 pace or not!

Bus, i bet all your race line finishes are the same. One eye shut, vom all over the shop. Gorgeous scenes

• The best one is still the retching on ITV behind Jo Pavey was being interviewed after she won the GSR!

For those who have not seen it before....

/members/images/390230/gallery/Great_North_Run.jpg

Closely followed by the interview of the winner of the Marlow 5:

/members/images/390230/Gallery/Grabbed-Frame-16.jpg

• Brilliant The Bus. Funniest post of the year image
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, that Portsmouth ones brings great memories. Probably my favourite all time running experience.

VIP treatment, fairly long drive, huge atmosphere, on TV.

Pb for you, not far off for me (week after a 10mile pb), then a nice feed and mixing with celebs in the VIP tent later.

Free massage was good too, could do with one of them. Might have to find some random race that dishes them out free after.

Or be a tight wad, and just drive to one, get all kitted up and take one anyway image

• Decent tempo on the grass tonight - 10min (6avg), 7.5 (5:55avg), 5mins (5:50avg), 5mins (5:45avg).

Bloods said iron was ok, just low white blood cells, but they ruled out anything bad. Just said 'it's probably a case of that's how I'm built' but that working in a school my immune system is so strong that I can stay healthy with a low amount of white blood cells. Sounded odd to me.

Love those snaps Bus! Did a share the video of the GMR where I started lurching on Nell McAndrew at the end? Got totally busted!

• Odd, but positive Stevie by the sound of it? Nell McAndrew eh? You sly fox!

Cheers Max. Anyone recognise the guy in the yellow vest in the Marlow pic by the way? 

T'was a good day out to GSR SG, that's for sure! We still owe a big one to a former forumite of this parish for that!

• Oh, and nearly forgot - blinding session that Stevie!

• Hmmm, after a very easy double yesterday, the old adductor has flared up and is really quite painful today. Sharp pain on it even when walking until its warmed up, so will cancel today's session and see how it is tomorrow.

• great scenes Bus.

Stevie See - i remember the nell grab at GMR.  live on BBC too.  i think Robt spotted it live so i had to check it out on the iplayer later.  Good work!  also very good paces on the xc session there,  getting ready for winsford?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

did you have a complete day off after the half Bus? The M used to always give me a day off 2 days after a hard race, with light recovery 3miler the day after itself.

Exception being where i'd not smashed myself, or it wasn't an A race. This week i'm trying to only have Sunday off (travel day), but feels a distance away at the moment!

Rest up, as i was going to offer you a medium/long run saturday!