Thursday Session - 28 November

What: Upper body circuits.
Why: Second day of 3-day pause after last slightly dodgy run. RICE has been religiously applied to foot, but we shall see.

Last hard: Will be today - press-ups, crunches, dips and chin-ups. Lots of.
Last rest: Ironically, also today.

Comments

• Last nights session was probably the best complete body work-out I've ever had. The session? Go-Karting evening! If you haven't tried it, give it a go.

Today: Probably five or so steady with new knee strap.
    Why: Knee strap is supposed to provide relief for patellar tendonitis so I'm going to try it as a last resort (before resorting to complete rest)
    Last rest day: Yesterday
    Last hard day: Monday
  • What: Couple of hours at the climbing wall
    Why: Need to get in shape for some ice climbing this winter.

Had fantastic run last night, first one in proper wind and rain, discovered I quite enjoy it actually! Knocked more than a minute off my time over 5 miles, but legs are complaining a bit today so will give the arms some punishment instead.

Last rest: Tues
    Last hard: Weds
  • Bliss.........Rest!

What: Nothing at all (Unless training my eyes to stay open while watching the extended version of Lord of the Rings)

Why: Have not had a rest day since last wednesday.

Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: Last wednesday

laters all.
  • What: Walked 2+miles.
    Why: Had to get out of the house.

Walking difficulties returned last night. Not too dire: did not need to dust off sticks this morning, got along with a respectable waddle. Not actually panicking, although as I am already taking full recommended dose of anti-inflammatories there is nothing else to do for it.

Except rest. As I am well aware I have gotten very tired recently, the return of the Lurgy can be attributed to that. Tomorrow, part of Saturday and Sunday I can rest.

December will be subject to disruption with various experiments in diet planned.

So start planning for the new year. Need to build up endurance so I can run, do a part time job, and not end up wiped out. Any plausible schedules for that? I want to work up to 25 miles a week. For the present don't care about faster. (Work on that April-May, all being well.)
  • Good morning one and all!

Today : Club winter handicap race 3.5 miles and I'll be going full pelt (such as that is!)
    Why : I'm treating this as speedwork - may do some fartlek whilst running this.

Last Hard Day : Tuesday
    Last Rest Day : Yesterday

Enjoy!
  • Morning all

I'm having abit of a nightmare this week - everytime I plan to do a session something crops up and I can't do it. So I'm determined that today I'm going to do....

What: 2-3 miles easy on treadmill this morning (testing new trainers) and intervals at the club tonight (but don't tell anyone)
    Why: Trying to catch up with the miles I've missed this week

Last rest: Yesterday
    Last hard: Tuesday

• Morning to everyone

Speedie
    if you actually intend to try to stay awake during LOTR, I'd count it as a <b>very</b> hard session.

what: shortish not too heavy outing - probably try ~4 miles accelerating from 7 minute mile pace (1st mile) to sub 6 minute miling (last mile)

why: done relatively little at that (last mile) pace recently; so a chance to remind my legs what speed is.

last hard day: Tue
    last rest day: Mon
    last long day: Sun
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    What: light track session, probably 10 x 400 in 80 secs off 1 minute recoveries.
    Why: 10k on Sunday, need to sharpen up a bit and get some reassurance that I can still run fast
    Last hard day: Yesterday - 10 mile time trial in 24:28 (on my bike!) Sounds fast but the turbo trainer is easier than real life.
    Last rest day: Monday
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Mornin boys and girls

What : Rest
    Why : feeling shagged out and have x-c race on Saturday, 4 miles easy off road (planned training) will, IMO , be of no benefit.
    Last Hard : yesterday
  • hi, finally plucked up the courage to go running with the stortford running club.

I was so nervous but yes Martin they were a friendly bunch. I got paired up with a couple of other lady runners and had a brilliant time, we had so much in common.

didnt pass your message on Martin but if and when I start talking to other people will do..

• Well done scarlett they are a really good bunch - hope you stick with it, the winter routes can be a bit boring but during the summer they go round Hatfield Forest which is very nice.

• morning team!

rther better mood today as knee that was painful after monday's 7.5 miler held up OK to various CV exercises in the gym last night (bike row/elliptical). so now

what: probably a treadmill interval session. sthg like 10x400m at 15.5kph (6:15 miling) with about 90secs recovery

why: not done an interval session for 2 weeks

last rest: tues
    last hard day : 11 days ago

can I inflict a X/C and a road 10k on folks this w/e?
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Morning, fellow freaks! Like Lanny I'm having a bit of a non-starter this week. Planned a nice 4-miler round my newly-worked-out route last night, but came out of the Tube station to pouring rain. At the moment I don't possess any waterproof running gear so a run was off the agenda. (Another addition to my Christmas list I think!) Happy to run in the rain in summer without waterproof jacket, not so happy this time of year!

So - all being well:

What: 4-mile steady/tempo run - haven't decided yet. As it's a new route with a v. steep hill at the end I'm tempted to make it a steady run!
    Why: See above!
    Last hard: Thursday (eek - a week ago!)
    Last rest: Yesterday (enforced - hmph!)
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Minkin, shame on you.
    There is nothing to stop you running in the rain (sure a nice waterproof may make it better) but it doesn't do too much harm.

What happens in the middle of a race if the heavens open .... "ooohhh better stop , haven't got a pac-a mac"

:D

• Afternoon

What - Nothing
    Why - Having a week of to sort out lifes priorities

Will
  • Morning all - uh, no, hang on it's afternoon. Anyway, just getting light here so it feels like morning! Worst time of year at the moment - it'll start getting dark at about 4.00 p.m.. Bah!

What - 35 min tempo run. And maybe a swim
    Why - training programme says so
    Last hard - yesterday. 7.5 hilly miles in the rain, on the forest trails. And in the dark too.
    Last rest - Sunday
  • Cryptic message to Marmite Master : I'm infected now and it's all your fault. ;-)

What: Frank Horwill's Variable Pace Vomit, i.e. continuous 10K run alternating 400m @ 5K pace and 400m @marathon pace (MM's favourite work-out apparently!). well, it was meant to be continuous but there's no way I'm up to that at the moment. just completed the session but only at the severe risk of revisiting my breakfast muesli.

Why: testing out the wisdom of following Horwill's killer marathon plan. interim conclusion - it's not wise!

Last Rest: yesterday
    Last Hard Day: Sunday
  • Wildwill - intriguing as to what could possibly take the place of running as a priority :)

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Dustin - I know, I know ... OK, I'm a wimp. I do quite often run in the rain but I'm afraid I draw the line at torrential rain unless I've already started the run.

:(
  • Afternoon gang.

Martin - you started the original training thread, and at the time I didn't think I'd find it useful but instead it's become part of the motivation knowing I've got to go public with my intentions, and reading what real runners are up to. Thanks!

What: 8 miles incl. 3* 1 mile intervals @ 10K effort (90%whr), with 5 min jog recoveries
    Why:TKRCB session. What? You've never heard of it? Alright, I'll say it again slowly: ten K race confidence builder.
    Doing my first 10K for nearly 5 months on Sun, and really want a PB, or I'll throw my toys out of the pram big time having gone to the club speed sessions religiously for 8 weeks now.
    Last hard: today, especially having planned the intervals so badly the last one was up the worst hills on the whole loop.
    Last rest: Tues

Wild Will - hope everything works out well for you.
  • No, YOU started it Achilles!
  • Laura - Sorry, I meant with the acronyms, not the race.

of course you're going to get that PB, we're counting on you. having seen some of your training, I'd say you've really put in the work to deserve it. best of luck.
  • Cheers! (the acronyms are only a poke at you-know-who)
  • Hi All - don't often post here but I'll try to now.

I'm starting on of th RW shedules for 10ks. So far this week I did the tuesday run and nothing else is on there until saturday. I thought I might repeat tuesdays tonight otherwise I don't feel like I've done enough.

So..

What: Tuesdays sheduled run 2miles easy, 400m intervals 2miles easy
    Why: because i want to get out and run

Good Luck laura let us know how you get on. I'm aiming to improve my 10k speed by end of january.
  • Laura,
    I think you're going to be in awesome shape when you toe the line for your 10K. You've been posting some really solid sessions and the club runs are golden ;-)

Achilles,
    I'm very worried, I think I might have terminal Horwillitus. The bad news (for you) is that you probably have it too.

Regarding todays workout, I'd say great minds think alike except that I think that we may have seriously lost the plot as....

What: Horwill Alternating Pace 10K Torture Session
    Why: Because I think Frank might be onto something eventhough it's killing me!!
    Last hard run: Are you kidding?
    Last rest day: Monday.

Got out to the track at lunchtime, did a mile warm-up and then managed 18 laps (MP 400m avg. 1:38; 5K 400m avg 1:23) before I went completely anaerobic! 5 min rest then final 7 laps at same pace. 1 mile cool-down, do I feel wrecked or what???
  • MartinH you will have to let us know how you get on with your new band?

What: Club run 5-8.5, several places you can bail out early, though still feeling Tue speed session.

Why: Club night every Thurs, plus one of the lads is 50 today, and there is a rumour of a free bar. (Desford Srtiders if anyone is interested)

Last Rest: Sunday

Last Hard: Tuesday
  • What: am - gym, 15 mins on the bike then upper body weights
    pm: hill training - maybe
    Why: I haven't been to a Thurs club run yet, where they do lots of hills and intervals, thought I'd try this week but gave blood at lunchtime so I'll see how I feel
    Last hard: Sun
    Last rest: Mon
  • MM -

I'd have to say from my experience this morning that I'm totally in awe of your performance.

on paper it looks fiendish but possibly do-able - but that's nothing to the reality of it.

much respect!

(you're being much too conservative about your goal marathon time!)

the great thing about this work-out though is that it makes target marathon pace feel incredibly slow! which has got to be a good thing. it's actually a brilliant combination work-out combining 5K intervals with continuous tempo type running and marathon pace judgement. so yes, it's staying on my schedule for as long as it takes to crack it.