Thames Path Challenge 100k

Good luck to all those running the 100km this Saturday.  See you all at the 7am start. 

Anybody else now dithering over all the race day choices?

avoid the 'warm up' that seems to start this event?

what size bottle?  They are recommending 2 litres of water - really?  I am assuming its aimed at walkers.

race number bib on shorts or shirt?

how many gels and how much real food?

Do I carry 2 GPSs or just a watch?

Extra socks? bigger shoes?

Why am I doing this?

The only thing I am sure off right now is the need for vaseline!

and that I've got pre-race nerves!

Comments

• I am totally with you.  I even dithered over whether I would run or run/walk, so have a later start time (8.40am).  Am now dithering over clothing and everything else.  I have been using trail shoes half size bigger than my usual running shoes so I can wear injinji under bridgedale socks.  I'm pretty confident this works for me with also a bit of pre-taping in hotspots.  I suspect 2 litres is OTT for even the walkers as there's regular snack/water stations to top up with.  Am dithering over gels/snacks/fuel powders too, sigh. Also nervous as never done this distance before, cross fingers all will be fine on the day, have trained plenty image  Good luck!

• So so glad it's not just me. It will probably be quite fun once we get going. At least for some bits.

• Will be be there waddling off at the 8.40 start.  2 litres def. OTT.  Plenty of snacks on the way so you do not need to carry too much extra fuel.  Route is fairly straightforward and you'll be given a fairly detailed map at registration.  Will wear normal running shoes 2 sizes larger than normal with Scholl footpads under forefoot, a  pair of liners and walking socks.  The path is quite hard and stoney in parts and as it's flat there is a greater risk of blisters as the pressure is always on the same area.  Just hope there is not a heavy mist - on one event (not this one) managed to walk right by a check point as it was completely obscured.

• I think I am going for an extra pair of shoes and spare socks in the drop bag just in case.  Yes I am familiar with the hard stony bits which is what has triggered the panic/dithering.  Currently looking at 3 different pairs of shoes to start with.

Heavy mist would be depressing but I also hope its not too hot and sunny.

It doesn't help the nerves when you discover different race numbers on the final event info to those on the maps document 

Have fun overtaking all us runners that went off too fast and then blew up along the way!

• Highly unlikely - you'll probably be home (and I hope dry) long before me.

• Hi - how did you get on?  I waddled in under just under 21 hours.  Managed to trip over a tree root - worst injury being minor discolation of top joint of little finger - doh - only Bear could do more damage to hands rather feet on an ultra imageimage!

• Well done.  I don't know how you kept going in the dark.  I would have ended up in the Thames.  Glad you didn't do any serious damage.  I heard of at least one guy needing paramedics.  Hey with a finger injury you can start training quicker for the next one image

I made it in 13 hours 20 something mins I think but I used pacers from the last feed station at 87.5km.  It wasn't a planned thing although the pros use them quite regularly apparently.  I nearly passed out in a portaloo at the 75km point.  I managed to make it on to the grass outside before hitting the ground.  One of my friends thought I was doing yoga (yes the new position called retching dog ...).  I was such a state that sending me into the imminent darkness would have been a bit risky.

Funny thing is my feet were fine, after all the fretting!  I used my normal sized Saucony Guides which I bought after a calf injury. Started with normal balega socks which I changed around 42km as I picked up a lot of grit on the early muddy sections.  The combination of an extra dose of vaseline and Protect iT socks was super comfy.

I have no idea what set of the nausea just before the 50km mark.  I ate and drank what I usually do and the pace was within the plan.  After 50km I struggled to eat or drink.  It was warm but not that hot really.  Yesterday was rough as I still couldn't really eat properly. Today I just have the comedy waddle, especially when faced with stairs.

I was really lucky to have all the support including from those waiting for other runners.  I am putting this one down as very much a team effort.