Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The only reason I want to beat every women in the race is because the leaders will be running around my target time which is 1.14 for championship entry of VLM. I will be running cabbage patch 10. What was I thinking with a target time of 45 minutes? But I won't take the piss and ask for an elite entry.

Dachs, I had to google what "deprecation" meant so I couldn't have changed that much.

Hello Lit, whats your HM PB now? You may have even passed mine.

• I haven't done a HM since Reading, Samir, but I have improved my PBs at other distances. I don't think I'll be beating your current HM PB till at least next year, though, because it is harder for women of a certain age.

• How dare you Stevie! Who says I'm not capable of running a 10.5k in 33:05. Ok your right. 

1. I got 33:32 on my watch.

2. I took a wrong turn which costed me at least a minute.

3. I knew that I wasn't running at a great speed capable of that time.

The course definitely wasn't measured properly.

4. I don't know why I just admitted that.

I've got relays in aldershot this weekend which is a 6k for all of us. The standard looks ridiculously high. Last year results featured Jonny D, Paul Pollock and John Beattie. Gonner be difficult.

• literatin wrote (see)
    Dachs wrote (see)

Bus - don't run.

+1

Go for any easy ride.

Hi Samir.

From the age of 16 I used to fly every weekend. I gave it up last year after taking a year sabattical and finding I had something called a 'weekend'. In the latter years family life and running, etc got in the way, and I wasn't even enjoying the flying.

I did 18 years volunteering in total. Now when people ask me to get involved with club committees, etc I am happy to say no. I've done my time and why change something you enjoy.

• Hello everyone. If I suddenly disappear. That would be Ben at runners world HQ. Gonner cut back on the commenting drastically this year because of 3rd year uni commitments. Got 66% in second which is respectable but I have to get above 70% in 3rd year or no first. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sam H wrote (see)

How dare you Stevie! Who says I'm not capable of running a 10.5k in 33:05. Ok your right. 

1. I got 33:32 on my watch.

2. I took a wrong turn which costed me at least a minute.

3. I knew that I wasn't running at a great speed capable of that time.

The course definitely wasn't measured properly.

4. I don't know why I just admitted that.

I've got relays in aldershot this weekend which is a 6k for all of us. The standard looks ridiculously high. Last year results featured Jonny D, Paul Pollock and John Beattie. Gonner be difficult.

You must have taken a wrong turn and done less mileage than, as our runner on that leg did 6.49miles. And apparently with stiles, and offroad,you were never running a 31min 10k, unless you're suddenly sub 30 standard!

Shame you didn't come to the finish.

Had a fun session today. Good to get the paces up for the first time in 3 1/2months!!
    Vaguely said 5k pace for 1/4miles. But where i'd previously done such sessions either on a track or on a flat piece of pavement, I just did this on my normal route.

Couple of outliers of 1.15 and 1.24, but overall average came out 1.21, which is 5.24 pace, which is a bit slower than the official zone, but probably in and around the pb. Happy with that, although 1/4miles are gloriously short. Will see how the tightness goes before the next thoughts, I do have a certain idea for the end of the week though

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good session SG.  Surely another reason to enter the Cabbage Patch 10?  Samir, me, I assume PMJ ...

Sam H wrote (see)

Yay!  And me!  We can have a race-off.  Which leg are you on?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image Dachs, do you have some bet you'll beat me by 5mins or something going on? image

• Damn, I was invited to the relays too but am working...

May have to eat a dodgy batch of curry and blag the day off "sick"

What a thread day out that would be!!! And Samir the standard is normally very high with Lots of people targeting it... I was fortunate to run in a quality AFD team many years ago image

Nice to see SG back in mix with some faster repetitions

So Samir long term aim is VLM 2015 And qualifying then sub 1:14? That would be great but also very achievable. As long as you keep that niggle you had at bay and remain healthy it's on..don't think Ealing HM will pose many problems course / weather wise
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • image Max!

I shall be sensible and rest another day then.....

Cabbage Patch is going to be a good un - come on SG, join us!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Nope, no bets SG.  We just haven't had a thread day out in a while.  And I am convinced that about 10 miles is going to be the optimum distance for you to race at at the moment, as you haven't been doing the speedwork for 10ks and under and not the very specific distance work for halfs and up.  But I think you might nail a 10.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to follow a vague rebuilding programme, that first took a long stage making sure i could do the 60mile weeks, without quality. Then we had a couple of MP runs, then the parkrun, then the relay, and now today, some 400s 5k intensity.

What I'm thinking next is some bootleg odd distance or surface job. I've got a couple in mind, but might well use the rest of this calendar year to do a couple of races for old times sake, then some XC.

Then pick up with M, after ensuring i can handle his full programme.

• did someone say rebuilding?

11 miles last week. 16 this week. BOOOOOOOOM!

Well done on the PB Lit. Must be a quick course - everyone I know who ran it knocked minutes off their PBs.

Cabbage Patch sounds a lovely day out. I'll think of you all whilst I attempt to get myself round Amsterdam HM after not running that far since 25th May! thank God for the local postrace 'painkillers'

• VLM 2015 is sub 75 for champs entry so 74:59 will do, sub 74 is better.

I'm entered for Cabbage Patch, as are 1,920 others and a limit of 2,000 so entry will close soon, so Samir, bus, SG etc need to get an entry in soon.

• I'm entered Philip, fear not!

Hi Johnas - I did 11 miles last week too image. How is it holding up now?

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

I’ve entered the Cabbage but will be (literally) miles behind many of you.

PMJ – how fast do you realistically think you could get round there at the moment? I was going reasonably well (for me) early in the summer but things came to a grinding halt (literally) when I ran in to that medical car back at the 1st Yateley of the season and since then I’ve not really run a full-hearted road race to test where I am. Sunday’s Swallowfield 10k should be a decent marker, perhaps if I can run 39 or so there I might be able to run sub 65 at the Cabbage.

I do love a set of parentheses (literally).

• all good cheers Bus. Foot seems fully recovered and after a cautious week, my gait seems to be back to normal too. Should be up to 21 miles this week.

Sorry to hear you're still suffering. As others have said, I wouldn't run if I were you. Can you get access to a cross trainer? I found it a great way of keeping fit when i had that groin/abductor injury earlier in the year.

• Wool wrote (see)

I’ve entered the Cabbage but will be (literally) miles behind many of you.

PMJ – how fast do you realistically think you could get round there at the moment? I was going reasonably well (for me) early in the summer but things came to a grinding halt (literally) when I ran in to that medical car back at the 1st Yateley of the season and since then I’ve not really run a full-hearted road race to test where I am. Sunday’s Swallowfield 10k should be a decent marker, perhaps if I can run 39 or so there I might be able to run sub 65 at the Cabbage.

I do love a set of parentheses (literally).

I am aiming at about 62:30 which is 80% WAVA which equates to just under 38 for a 10k which feels about right. I went through 10 at Maidenhead Half in 63:30 so it isn't an unreasonable target. May set out a bit faster in the forlorn hope of sub-60 but I really need a couple of 10 milers to allow me to take such a risk and I haven't got such so may target Brighton 10k  as a risky one and be happy with a safe one at Cabbage Patch.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

After a stop start 5 miler in five's and sixes pace (a succession of run til I blow) on Sunday, today I extracted the lad from behind his 'laptop' and tried something short and brisk.

I was ok as long as I kept going since that would slow him down. His blast around a cricket pitch registered mile paces down into the mid 3's. The blighter!

🙂

• 50 minutes running with t'wife through some of Swinley Forest. Just over 4 miles. Furthest I've run since mid August. 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully that's the last of your injury woes Johnas. It's easy to forget just how fortunate most of us are in being able to run at all. Puts the chasing ti es and bad sessions into context.

That's wick Ric. How old is your lad? Does he fancy a crack at a race or two or does it just break up the time he spends on the computer?

Grand night for it too Iron I bet. Glorious sunshine up north.

Track Tuesday for me. 8x400 off 1 min, 6x 200 off 30 secs then 8x 400 off 1 min. 2 mins between sets.

70-70-71-71-70-70-71-70

34-34-33-34-34-34

70-71-71-71-71-71-70-71-70

Ended up doing 9 though for the last set as I forgot to reset my watch from 30secs rec to 1 min. OCD took over as I didn't want 1 set of 8, a solo 400 and another 7x400 on my garmin page. My legs certainly felt heavier on the last set of 400s but really pleased with the consistency.
  • Damn impressive running Matt.. 16 400s is some top session not even including the 200s!

I did 5 400s in middle of my session today and was well off 70s every one image
  • That's one hell of a session Matt - it has it all: Metronomic consistency, a bloody high number of reps and all at scary speed!! Very impressive....

Johnas - I was thinking about your use of the cross trainer for your adductor injury today actually. It would be good to do, but I would need to go to a Gym. It might be an option though if it carries on, as I will definitely need to do something to keep fitness. Whilst biking isn't painful, I'm sure too much of it won't help things. All that said, it does seem to be improving so I'll just play it by ear for now.

How long did he keep up those 3;xx pace Ric? 

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

sounds sensible Phil - I'm sure your pacing in the 1st mile will see you well below sub 60 pace though!

3:xx pace? I ran some 4:50 pace 400s round a cricket pitch this evening. Something in the 3's sounds incredible when I think how much duress I was in.

Stunning session Matt.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Cheers guys. Bit of a shame I've no proper races lined up as I feel in good shape. Road relays this weekend will be off the back of 2 sessions this week, then I've a fell relay on the 5th October and then a 5 miler on the 19th October. Then it'll be Leeds Abbeydash all being well.

I got asked to list the races that I fancied doing so we could filter some out. It turned out I'd picked 1 a week! Ha. Bit gutted to do the fell relay in all honesty as I've tried to give backword but I'm stuck with it. Would've liked to do a 10k around that time.
  • It's sometimes to best to pick races - work out which are "A" or target races and then work training backwards from there and also then eliminating races that fall inbetween that don't fit .. You seem to always be in good shape Matt image - I think it's important to keep that sharpness by racing before a big race so I hope you get a solid performance in before hand for that sub 32 at Leeds

My training plan has a 3km and 10km time trial pre race around 5 / 9 weeks I think???with a slight mini taper for each of them switching some sessions out, although I won't be able to do that 3km I will try for a all out parkrun and the 10km tune up happens to be the same day as first hamsphire league XC so may do that
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the idea of the 5 miler is that I can hopefully go for my goal

Pace on that and see what happens. It's flat and I think my PB at 5 mile is pretty soft so hopefully kill two birds with one stone.

Once I tried to drop the fell relay in favour of a 10k the week after I was constantly being pestered. Should have stood firm really but hey ho. In all honesty I didn't think I'd be able to manage the session last night so pleasantly surprised.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Matt, Bus.

The lads off to Uni at the weekend so is trying to get fit again. He was always a fast sprinter (in the 400m sense) and would wipe the floor with the opposition at club relays.

These runs only last around 30 to 40 seconds but his lack of endurance means that he needs to rest a fair bit.

Also, since he stopped training properly a year or three back, he's grown a few inches. The last time he was fit, we were in NZ, there's a picture posted of us running there. He was shorter than me then but is now much taller. 

At 5'9" and 8 stone (51kg) he's built for speed.

On the grass of the pitches, he gives me a head start. Despite sprinting as fast as I can go, he cruises past like I was standing still. Imagine Steve Cram style. 

Ok, all good so far. But not lets get too carried away. It could be that he just a sprinter masquerading as a distance runner. Looks good mind.

Just wish I had his build and my engine. 

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Matt, Bus.

The lads off to Uni at the weekend so is trying to get fit again. He was always a fast sprinter (in the 400m sense) and would wipe the floor with the opposition at club relays.

These runs only last around 30 to 40 seconds but his lack of endurance means that he needs to rest a fair bit.

Also, since he stopped training properly a year or three back, he's grown a few inches. The last time he was fit, we were in NZ, there's a picture posted of us running there. He was shorter than me then but is now much taller. 

At 5'9" and 8 stone (51kg) he's built for speed.

On the grass of the pitches, he gives me a head start. Despite sprinting as fast as I can go, he cruises past like I was standing still. Imagine Steve Cram style. 

Ok, all good so far. But not lets get too carried away. It could be that he just a sprinter masquerading as a distance runner. Looks good mind.

Just wish I had his build and my engine. 

Bus, take it from me. Forget maintaining fitness. Once you've a chronic overuse injury, which it is, being fit is meaningless. Only course of action is re hab.

🙂

• Perhaps 400m is where his focus need to be?

Not sure I can agree with you about maintaining fitness though Ric. I can accept that rehab is the most important thing for an oversue injury, but maintaining fitness by cross-training, provided it doesn't hinder the rehab, can only be a good thing surely? Not just for making the journey back to full running training easier, but also for the sake of your sanity while undergoing rehab.

When I've had prolonged injuries before, not only would I have ended up putting on loads of weight, but I'd have been unbearable to live with if I couldn't have got out on my bike or even gone swimming! I would even go so far as to say I would put up with a mild underlying chronic injury and train/race with it if a) it is not taking the pleasure out of running and b) it is not being made worse

Anyway, I'm going to try an easy run at lunchtime and see what happens - if it starts to hurt I'll stop.