Brighton Marathon 2015

Comments

• Robert Thats good running and I'm not surprised your legs are feeling it after that work out.  Thats so cool being number 001 in the race image Enjoy

I haven't entered any February HM's. I may do Paddock Wood in March as my long run on that day is 14 miles anyway.  I don't know where you live but isn't Brighton Half in February? Its probably fully booked but the charity places aren't normally that high a target.

Good running Toby.  I am in a similar position to you.  My training plan starts the first week of December as I repeating the week around Christmas as I am unlikely to get my runs in that week.  I am also trying to build a good base and feel like my plan has already started as I have planned runs and don't miss sessions.

Hi Poohbear good to hear from you.  Im glad you will still take part in Marathon Weekend.  I would not be at all surprised if you do another Marathon one day.

I already think that this year will not be my last.  It helps to get me out the door and training when I know that there is the Marathon as the end goal and Ive never been fitter or happier or a better runner than I am now.  2015 will be my first marathon so I will just run it just to finish it but I would like to do 2016 to aim for a time.

Well I managed to go out for my run tonight, actually wanted to go when i got in so I didn't have to force myself out like I had feared I would.  10K ran in 55.22 and an average pace of 8.56 which is 3 mins faster than last week on the same course and  a new Garmin PB for me (I have never raced a 10k so I don't have an official PB) Was a tough run but I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to getting out there again tomorrow. Still undecided about the half next week.

I don't like the fact that it is already starting to get dark in the evenings as its going to severely cut down the routes I can run in the week, especially once my weekday runs get longer.

• Hi All

After a quiet summer running-wise I'm happy to have now done 2 more half-marathons.  Severn Bridge & Baccus.  Baccus was a HM PW for me of 3:03 due to too many wine stops......image

I need to increase the mileage now ready for the pre-xmas bash at the Portsmouth Coastal.

• Andyp what was Bacchus like, I wanted to do it this year but due to my daughter being with child and nearing her drop date I couldn't, there would be no way I was or am allowed to do any planned races in September!!! No baby news yet, although she is having mild contractions ,has been since Monday, yikes, I hope it's soon cos all my runs are being done very close to home, the cows are now in the meadow where I've been running 5 miles most mornings with my dogs, this morning,however,was a 10 lap run of the smaller field next to the meadow without cows, my border collie does not like cows plus dogs have to be on leads and mine don't run with leads!!!! 

I'm birth partner along with my son in law so my phone is permanently stuck to me,hence I can't venture far from home running!!! I was thinking yesterday, apart from my two week holiday I've ran at least 5 days a week for well over a year now!!! Which is the longest I've ran without a" can't be bothered break!!! " I've been really enjoying my running ...andyp is thst the Portsmouth marathon where if you don't get through the first half in under 3 hours your not allowed to continue cos of the tides and you'll be cut off or swimming!! On the 21st December, yes I fancied that one too but daughter has asked for my undivided attention for first few months with  baby so no proper "training" I havnt told her I entered the ballot for London, so just not sure what to say if I actually by some miracle get a ballot place !!! But Portsmouth is still tempting me !! I'm running 10 miles on my long runs on a Saturday, yep that's lots of laps , which if nothing else mentally strengthens you eh ...

Poohbear, I too am now officially registered for brighton 10km  after running 4 out of the last 5 marathons in Brighton,I decided i still wanted to be a part of the weekend but I've never watched the marathon,so hopefully I'm aiming for 45-50 mins nearer 45 would be my dream time, (so like you I'm gonna be doing lots of speed work in the next few months) I can then get washed up when I'm done and meet up with my mum and daughter and actually watch and cheer all you marathoners....hotel is booked for my usual 3 night mini break ...

Happy running to everyone 

• Hi Yvonne Oooo exciting times in your family.  How did you train your dogs to run with you? I have tried with two of ours in the past, one wanted to stop and go home after a minute and the other was so excited he kept running in circles rather than going forwards.  

Another 5 miles for me tonight deliberately kept it slow and steady as my legs were tired from yesterday's efforts and it was really nice just plodding along enjoying the run without pushing the pace at all.

• PS. Swervin Mervin I am going to do the Tonbridge Half - see you there image

• Tillstar, I didn't really have to train them, they just follow me where ever I go like two little shadows, I guess it helps that one is a shepherd cross so is protective and does not venture far from my side the other a very mad border collie who has just turned two and just runs for pleasure like me he also chases birds in the sky by sprinting across the field after them although I've already run 5 miles( or more on a Saturday )  !! He never stops and loves it , they ran the 9:61 miles I did on Saturday with me , this field has the river Thames running along side it so water for them isn't a problem and the meadow has the thames on one side and the river churn on the other ....ideal really .....I'm just lucky I guess they enjoy their running !! 

• You lot still 'ere then image

• Yep were still goingimage

Yvonne thanks for the donation

• yvonne 2 wrote (see)

Andyp what was Bacchus like

Hi Yvonne - if you ran it as a straight race, I would put it in the very difficult category.  It's mainly off-road, through woods, with some tough uphill stretches.
    The fact that there are 7 drink stations (14 on the marathon) with wine, food, etc, and everyone stops to chat and drink at each one, breaks the running up nicely.

Add to that the large majority of runners are in fancy dress creates a carnival atmosphere.  I've done it twice now and love it.

Good luck with your imminent delivery - hope all goes well image

• just 3 miles for me yesterday will rest up now till Sunday although we do have to take my son to Leicester on Saturday as he's starting at the same Uni as Snowmaiden went to

• Third time running  round the small field ,10 laps again this morning, on my third lap however,I was knocked over like a skittle by a whippet running at full pelt, as she  was playing with patch my dog,they were playing chase!!! Patch obviously has spacial awareness developed over the summer and knows it's not a good idea to run full pelt near mummys legs when mummy is running, unfortunately little daisy didn't know this and slammed straight into me, I put my arm out to save myself, although it's a futile exercise cos you know your going down anyway somehow landed with my arm up behind my head , and now have pain in my elbow and wrist !!! So glad I didn't break it, how heart breaking that would of been not to cuddle my grandchild upon being born !!! Anyway I led there for a minute or two just to make sure I could move everything, the owners were very apologetic,bless them I told them not to worry it was an accident and off I went to complete lap 3 and ran 7 more,.....they put her back on her lead, then I felt bad cos she couldn't run round too ....Anyway after being knocked flying it seems I run quicker was doing 8:55 pace at 7am on just a cup of tea !!! And on grass !! 

Hoping to go out again later and do a hilly 5 miles I figured the two runs today could equate to my long run in the morning, and to be honest a) I'm taking Jenny for her induction at asda for 9am, and b) I didn't fancy 20 laps of that field !!! Have to stay close to home just in case I get the come to hospital now call , don't want to miss being at the birth of my first grandchild !! Can you tell I'm excited image ?? 

Toby, your welcome 're donation 

• Yay Tillstar.....I'll look out for you at Tonbridge.

Toby I took your advice and stuck another long(ish) run into the schedule this week. I went out yesterday in the boiling sunshine and ran 13 miles...before I went to work!

Not sure that it was a great idea to be honest. It was a real hot morning and I also decided to include 3 killer hills. I'm still aching now! I averaged 8:54/miles which probably wasn't too bad considering the hills, although the last couple of miles were tough.

• 5 miles for me this morning, a bit too hot for my liking. Tomorrow is the last long run before tonbridge half next week so will use it as a dress rehearsal to try my outfit and some gels - exciting
  • I don't think there's any chance I can stick to a 6 day/week run plan this year that I attempted last year for Brighton. So I plan to pootle around running as I please until about the 16 week mark and then do a "plan". If that's not the way to go, let me know.

Tiny records (for me), 2 in the last 3 days: 1 mile sustained pace on Thursday (as part of a 5 miler so the last half was not so special, wheeze wheeze) and a record 5K today. But these are just for this year so far and as I've done nearly sod all it was not hard to acheive these things. Getting my running clogs back on after strangely losing the running mojo for a while was a record only a few weeks ago. I feel my running mojo has returned. I'm back! image

• Glad the mojo is back piggyback

I didn't get out for my run today. My stomach has been cramping all morning and I'm not in the mood for a run. I'm stressing that I haven't completed today's run. I don't like that racing and training for them means I stress if I miss a session. It also means that my longest run before next weeks half is the 8 miles I ran last week which was my longest run since January. I do not feel ready for this
  • Well we had a beautiful day here for the Bristol H/M sun was out but there was a cooling breeze no PB for me today got around in 1:41:42 according to my Garmin missing out by 28 seconds but still very pleased with the result as the Avg pace   per mile was 7:37m/m

splits as were all in the 7minute range going from 7:20 being the quickest and 7:54 the slowest seems i nee a few more 7:20 to get under that allusive 1:40:00 mark

• Great running Toby. Fantastic pace, so close to your PB.....I managed to average 7:31/mile on my run last night. That was 4 miles followed by a large Indian takeaway and a bottle or two of beerimage

Hope you feel better soon Tillstar. I reckon if you've done 8 miles you can do 13....but only you know if you're ready.
  • just checked my Cricklade H/M time which is where i set my PB and it was actually 1:41:36 not      1:41 :14 like i thought and the chip time came up for Bristol at 1:41:39 so it even worse as i missed a PB by 4 seconds

• Tillstar just treat Tonbridge H/M as a training run with lots of other people then there no pressure and it's is normal to get nervous before an event i still do even now is this your first H/M if it is then like Brighton just aim to finish and go for a time next time and at least you’ll have the mental and physiological advantaged of knowing you can do it

The main thing is at the moment not to get wound up about it and then talk yourself out of running on any old excuses or you my find yourself doing it with Brighton next year and if you hate racing and training you’re on a hiding for nothing when the training for Brighton starts

as for not feeling ready when i ran my first 10k on the day of the race i was still saying 6.2 miles don’t know whether i can run 6.2 miles i even took a week of work to recover 2 years later the morning of Brighton i was going 26.2 miles don’t know whether i can run 26.2 miles i even took a week of work to recover

the long and short of it all is you have to say hell i can do this even if i have to walk some even now Poohbear walks some of the H/M but it’s now a dam sight less than it used to be and thats because she stuck at it  

• Thanks Toby.

I appreciate your advice but I'm not going to do Tonbridge. My other half's ex has changed the days we have his son this week and it's going to make it almost impossible to get back for and in not feeling the desire to do it that much.

Still have my eyes firmly on Brighton. 5 miles tonight, wasn't feeling too good when I got home from work so did 5 laps of my village so I remained close to home In case I needed to stop. Was a good easy run I'm not pushing anything this week as have first session with running club on Wednesday and I don't want to push too hard this week and struggle in my run with them.

Really looking forward to joining them. They seem really nice and will be great to have some company on runs and not be restricted to one route or the treadmill when the evenings get darker. Also means I can swap my Wednesday runs on the actual plan for sessions with them leaving me 2 shorter runs to do on my own in the week which will be fun.
  • TillStar / anyone else do you get nervous about training for a big race? It usually gets a few weeks before a race and I don't want to go out even for the slightest runs/ jogs as I've told myself I'm best resting in case of injury.  I then regret it every time I have ran each of my 4 marathons to date. Am hoping I can get my head round it by Brighton! 

Managed a tired 6.5 miles last night averaging 8.40 pace didnt want to push it too much before Middlesex 10k on Sat as hadn't ran for a couple of weeks and wanted to ease my legs back into running will prob go for another 10k run tomorrow as have a 10 miler and half in next couple of months too. 

• Hi Robert. I should've taken a leaf out of your book. I went out for 6 miles last night and a wee twinge in my left foot has turned into a fully fledged shooting pain. image Spent the day limping today dosed up on Ibuprofen in the hope that it'll disappear before Sunday's race.

It was a good run last night too, managing a tidy pace of 7:27 over the 6 miles.

Fair play Tillstar. If you're not ready then better to be safe and keep your eye on the main event! Good luck with the club...I'd be interested to see how you get on. I've been running on my own for 2 years now and have been thinking of joining a club to keep it interesting.

• talking about guilt the first time i ran Brighton i had a 5 mile training run to do but decided that i was too tired to do it more like i couldn’t be ass’ed by about 7.30 that night i was feeling so guilty for not doing it i ended up going into the garage and doing it in the treadmill

• Went out yesterday and bought a new pair of running shoes I'm giving a pair of new balance a try this time so will have to see how i get on with them

• Let us know how you get on with them Toby. I've tried a few but keep coming back to Nike Pegasus.

I'm in need of a minor miracle before Sunday's HM as my foot is really sore. I've no idea what I've done but I'm walking with a limp at the mo.
  • Oh no Swervin Mervin that's not good at all! I shall keep my fingers tightly crossed for a miracle for you.

I may be running the HM now after all, just don't tell me I am or I will get nervous again.  It wont be a PB but it will be another HM completed and who knows I may not do as bad as I think

• Swervin hope the foot gets better soon

• Me too Toby! I'm no doctor but googling keeps bringing me back to 'stress fracture' Not wishing to appear to be a hypochondriac I'll just button it and get on with it. I'm sure it'll sort itself out. Typical though..... never had a prob with my foot and the week before a HM ta-da!!

I managed to get out and run a delicate 4 miles last night. With some rock music thumping in my ears the foot became a distant niggle image It's throbbing a bit this morning though.

Good on you Tillstar....just go for it and see how you get on.....no pressure.
  • Morning all

forgot to say funny thing happened when me and Poohbear were stood in millennium   square on Sunday a chap came up to us and asked if Poohbear was running we said no he then said ambushed and proceeded to give us a leaflet for southville running club and started on about how much fun they had and how they could get Poohbear ready to run a 10k in 8 months and they weren’t looking for fast runners

Well i was stood there laughing he then said look your husband’s laughing he doesn’t thing you can do it i replied no it not that but she already run the Brighton marathon twice well the look on his face he didn’t know what to say what made it funnier was Poohbear was stood there with her pink hoody on with Brighton marathon 2014 on

I said to Poohbear after he’d gone who got ambushed there then

good luck to all those running next sunday