ironman-wales-2014

Comments

• I agree - I think Duchess Funkin suits you more.

• So, is anyone else not sleeping?  Physically I feel fine.  I was expecting to be in pieces but that hasn't happened, so appear to have escaped completely ache free, but I haven't slept properly since last Wednesday, and not at all since the race.  Brain is beginning to function at a new low...

• I didn't sleep very well last night. My legs are feeling better  but I have a nasty case of "bum cheek rash" which is making it a bit uncomfortable sitting!!! I also have man flu coming on...

• nice reports guys, thanks and well done again.

i am sleeping great, i thought i will have pain for weeks but its all gone apart from a slight pull in my right quads. i am still buzzing, all i think about is races in 2015 and when should i get back to training etc., i almost went for a light jog yesterday...image 

• Well done everyone on finishing Wales, No race report yet, I'm too tired, but I wanted to thank all the supporting Pirates and all those racing who helped get me through to the finish line along with all those outside who have offered advice, encouragement and the loan of kit for the 3 events. You are all so supportive and amazing people.

This year has been just crazy and it is a real pleasure and honour to wear the yellow and black. THANKS ARGGHHH!!!

• Well done everyone and great reports, sounds like such an amazing event.

Will have to dust of the camper van next year and come over to support

• Hatty Try taking a dose of magnesium citrate.

• Great reports everyone - I never tire of reading them.

loved watching you all on the bike and run.  It's definitely one I want to do in the future image

• Back in the office reflecting on the weekend and all i can say is WOW.

What an experience for my first Ironman. Absolutely loved every minute of it, even when i seemed to be swimming backwards on the first stretch of the second lap of the swim. Planned on getting out onto the run course by 4pm, which i did bang on, hoping for a 4 hour marathon but didnt anticipate the run being as tough as it was! Despite a 4:30 marathon I absolutely loved it, mainly due to fact that i found myself in constant fits of laughter at all you Pirates and kids ARRRRRGH-ing at each other, Absolutely brilliant. 

So chuffed with a finishing time of 13:33:12. I will definitely be back as long as the event remains in Tenby

• I was going to write a race report, but it wouldn't be too significantly different to the others.

Swim was hard, and took slightly longer than I planned.

Bike was taken easy and rode within my limits.

Run, started well, then got a message that a friend was struggling, so hung back and waited and ran/walked together for his first finish. Even did the gentlemanly thing and hung back on the finish line for him to have the red carpet to himself. For me, a finish was all I was interested in after last years issues.

This was my 5th IM but my first time in Pirate kit (for the run only - Seren, I'll get a bike shirt in the next order), and the support is truly awesome. Even had two people say that they didn't want to be near me going through town as they didn't get any support because everyone was only interested in screaming 'Aaarrrggghhh!!!' at the Pirate.
  • there were not many actual pirate supporters at Tenby............but in the last few years we have trained the locals well.they know how to support the pirates.image

• I signed up for Ironman Wales in Sept 2013,  I'd really wanted to do this race since hearing about the amazing atmosphere and the difficulty of the course. 

I booked the accommodation in Oct 2013 and this was maybe a little late, but found a nice hotel on the esplanade which just happens to be the finish line. Training went really well I'd followed a 30 week training plan focussing on a lot of hill training on both the bike and run, but unlike the previous year I had stuck to heart rate training, this was difficult because it meant not going out with the "Badgers" running club as I knew I would not be able to control my head thus chasing the guys faster than me. I really missed the social side of running with the club. My target was under 14hours,

My race report.  I started the morning by walking down to the beach with my better half Sarah at about 06:30, she found a spot on the promenade right opposite the swim Australian exit which was a great spectator spot as she would be able to spot me between the laps. I'd been really nervous about the swim being choppy and if it was how I'd cope. Had last hugs and was one of the first into the water to check goggles, gosh it was choppy. Got out and got my spot on the left of the start pen in the middle of the pack with the other 1800 starters.

Swim

The starting horn sounded and I followed the mass in front of the into the water, attempting to start swimming to the first buoy which was about 500 meters away, I just couldn't get into my swim stroke at all every two or three strokes I was getting hit by waves that had no rhythm to them at all. My heart rate was spiking and I had to give myself a right talking to as I was thinking that I wouldn't even make this point. I eventually got to this buoy and started the longer stretch to the next one, this wasn't half as bad and I actually felt like I was getting somewhere, round this one, and then another smaller stretch into the swim exit. Ran round a timing mat quick wave to Sarah and get back into the sea for lap two. Getting to this first buoy was worse than the first time, but eventually got round and exited the swim... thank goodness. Swim complete 01:22:43

T1 -1k run to transition, full change into cycling gear in the post box size area for those stripping off fully and  off onto the bike - T1 - 00:14:50

Bike

The bike route is a two lap course the first lap being the longer of the two, but the second loop you complete twice and this is also the hillier loop. I planned to stick to heart rate as much as possible, only going above the planned HR when needed to climb the hills. For the first hour I could feel I had been panic gulping air in swim and had quite a rumbling feeling in my stomach, sipping water for the first hour and not having my gels or bars seemed to help. After this I stuck to my plan of sips of gel from a gel bottle at 20mins and 40mins and on the hour some energy bar, having water as needed. I was a bit disappointed then the bike bottles didn't have an Ironman logo on but hey ho.

• For the first few hours on the bike there was a constant stream of people on tri bikes overtaking me, but I controlled my thoughts of chasing them and stuck with my heart rate plan. The miles clicked on points of notice where the hills in Narbeth, Wisemans Bridge and Saundersfoot which were really well supported by the locals, in fact there were pockets of support around the whole bike course cheering, ringing cow bells, pumping air horns ect. It's just an amazing atmosphere. Just as I was approaching Saundersfoot the leading man passed me completing his second bike loop, absolutely amazing he was flying. I completed these climbs but I needed to get out the saddle and I could feel some tightness in my quads whilst doing so, then there was the downhill into Tenby ready for the next loop where I saw Sarah and her parents with our two children waving banners, this really lifted my spirits. Second loop was tough but I managed to ride up all the hills when quite a few of the riders around me where walking the steeper ones, back into Tenby to see the family again - 112 mile bike done - 07:23:03

T2 - Full change into run gear, listen to some horror stories about the swim and out onto the course -T2 - 00:06:38

Run

I got out onto the run which is not an easy marathon route, basically 2 miles out of town up hill, turn around and a winding route through the town, I needed to complete this four times to be able to run down the finish chute. My legs felt okay, in fact they felt good. I kept my heart rate in check and stuck with a plan of running between the feed stations. At each feed station I poured a cup of water over my head, drank a cup of energy drink and ate half a banana. This seemed to work so I kept with this, I was running well and passing a lot of people I was actually enjoying the run and I only power walked one really tough little hill going out of Tenby which was making my HR go too high. The loops were flying by with the best game being where would Sarah pop up next, the run through Tenby meant she could go between points and I would see her two or three times per loop. The run is where the pirate kit comes into its own, loads of ARRR's and go pirates. Support on the whole course was amazing. Eventually I was being handed the treasured pink band which meant I only had half a loop to go, I was still running and I thought a under 4hr marathon might be possible.... Up to the finish line aeroplane down the red carpet to the finish. 26.2 mile run 04:05:36 pleased with that.

I am an Ironman. finish 13:12:50

Sarah had managed to be right next to the finish line, had a massive hug, got my medal ate some cardboard that looked like pizza and went into town to support and eat chips. I would definitely do this event again, the atmosphere and the people of Tenby and the surrounding areas were amazing and the location is just beautiful.  

• Lovely report, Badger.

• Enjoying all the reports and seriously making me think do it again in 2015.  Must resist.

Does anyone know when TV coverage is on the telly box?  Last year it was well covered on BBC Sport Wales and also on the official Ironman TV show, I haven't seen any listings that show when coverage is yet?

• Happy Friday to you, Funkin!

Congratulations on a great race and another wonderful report.

I'm thrilled that you and Sharon are going back to Kona next year, and already look forward to Kona Diaries, episode 2 image.

• Fantastic stuff Funkin ! so pleased for you mate. 

• Super report and congrats on your 2nd Kona place, it's a wonderful accomplishment that very few people are able to achieve. Be proud.

• Can people please stop posting wonderfully detailed long reports?   I'm supposed to be working and instead am reading/re-reading every word and getting bugger all done!

I watched the whole thing last Sunday and am now regrettably hooked on the idea of signing up for next year (which would also be my first Ironman image).

Well done everyone who took part, it looked horrendous but wonderful in equal measure.

• Loving reliving the day through everyone else. Great reports TB and Mr F.

• Dammit Funkin! I've just lost the last 2 days getting sucked in by your amazing Camp Epic and previous Kona diaries, now I'll have to read your IM Walea report! I hope all my patients understand I can't see them today as I'll be too busy!

Massive congratulations on Kona qualification!
  • Go for it Goldstone. There is nothing like the camaraderie of being with a bunch of like-minded folks, the excitement and nervousness of the race briefing, standing at the swim start waiting for the gun, being cheered on by the hordes of spectators especially the Pirates that are always around on the bike and run, and the goosebumps from the cheers as you run into the finish. Yes, an IM is tough but it's worth it. Just before my Dad died he told me he had always wanted to run a marathon and now it was too late for him.  I try to live my life not putting off the things I want to do, you never know if the chance will come again. I have done 7 IMs, DNF in some but due to a hip replacement am now unfortunately unable to do the distance any more but would love to. My surgeon tells me the new hip won't stand up to the strain of training for and running any more marathons so I am limited to shorter races. If you want to do IM, go on and enter, don't wait until you can't.

• I agree with Bionic Ironwolf.  Life is short.  No one knows what is around the corner, and most people's health doesn't improve with age.  If you want to do it, do it.  It's the most amazing experience.

• Funkin.you have made me late now with that report.brillinat

• loved reading those reports. Fantastic achievement by Mr F again

• Awesome report Funkin,, loved it
  • Love the reports guys and very similar experience to myself. I don't disappoint I've got a nice long report for you all to keep everyone from work on Friday, feel free to skip over it image

http://ewenlewis.wordpress.com/2014/09/19/wake-me-up-when-september-ends/

Just another shout out to all the pirates I met on Sunday and all the pirate supporter. I didn't meet you all but I really appreciate the support and encouragement. 

Honestly if your in any doubt about doing IM Wales jump on in we've all been at that cross roads and with the right determination and pirate support you can do it.

Thanks everyone and well done Funkin great achievement.