Options

ironman-wales-2014

Comments

• Options

wow, what an achievement Funkin...

• Options

Unchartered ... what a great report.looking at your first blog post and seeing you at 24stone.  I wouldn't have recognised.....you have done an amazing personal journey......

• Options

Almost convinced myself to sign up for IM Switzerland 2015.  Does anyone else want to come to play too?

• Options
    Final RV wrote (see)

BBC Sport Wales coverage now on the iPlayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04j2w5w/sport-wales-19092014

Unchartered Waters, you can see the back of your jumper in transition at 20:56!

• Options
    despite all the promises about not doing a full im next year, i really want to...image if i cant get into my plan A race, i will probably do Barcelona october 2015
  • Options

I've got to have one that falls in the school holidays.  So possibilities are Switzerland, Sweden, Copenhagan, and Japan.  Kind of discarded US and Canada as the flights are so expensive (yes, sad arse that I am, I've checked!).  I kind of like the idea of Switzerland as it's 19 July, which means the whole of August won't be spent training next year.

• Options

good luck Hattie, unfortunately even if i enter an IM next year, it will be in the fall. 

• Options

Hattie, don't discount USA on cost - some of the places you've listed have incredibly expensive accoms and food...as we found in Switzerland in '09! So sometimes even though it's cheaper to get somewhere, being there is crazy pennies. 

So lots more options for you  ;)

• Options
    andras wrote (see)
    despite all the promises about not doing a full im next year, i really want to...image if i cant get into my plan A race, i will probably do Barcelona october 2015

I'm in the same boat.  I've signed up for Aix 70.3 in May though, it's a slippery slope you know………………..

• Options

Thanks for the link RV, looking forward to the channel 4 coverage. Been reflecting on this race a lot this week and I really think I'll go back in 2016. really would like a go at celtman but the whole wales weekend was just amazing. 

• Options

Hatty, come join me for a half term holiday to Lanzarote image

• Options

Thanks for the kind words all.  I've even managed to read a couple of the above reports which is pretty good going for me, with it being only a week since the race.

Tired Badger wrote "The run is where the pirate kit comes into its own, loads of ARRR's and go pirates." - oh so true, oh so true.

After a couple of really hurty days earlier in the week and much of Friday when I wait laid up in bed I'm feeling reasonable now.  There's tiredness in the legs still but I suppose that's understandable and my own stupid fault.

Superb race. Well done to those who made it round and sorry to those who didn't. I don't blame you!

• Options

Guys, if I had not made a promise to my wife that I would not do a full ironman next year I would have signed up to something already.........

• Options

Wow Saint B,  are you signed up for Lanza?  Do you know, that could just work!  My degree students should have finished their lectures by then, so I might be able to get away on the Thursday... It's all winter training for Lanza though.  Need to have a serious talk to Pingu about this, as she's done it. image 

• Options

Yep, it's definitely in contention. Priced up digs, flights and race entry, all for sub 2.2k for a family of 4 for 2 weeks all inclusive image (1.9 k for 2 star)

Its hot, windy, hilly and has a fight fest for the swim start. What more do you need to know image

• Options

funkin-baby wrote (see)

Thanks for the kind words all.  I've even managed to read a couple of the above reports which is pretty good going for me, with it being only a week since the race.

Tired Badger wrote "The run is where the pirate kit comes into its own, loads of ARRR's and go pirates." - oh so true, oh so true.

After a couple of really hurty days earlier in the week and much of Friday when I wait laid up in bed I'm feeling reasonable now.  There's tiredness in the legs still but I suppose that's understandable and my own stupid fault.

Superb race. Well done to those who made it round and sorry to those who didn't. I don't blame you!

what a great position for you to be in, 13 months, a whole season to devote just for Kona, that must be a once in a lifetime chance even for a great athlete like you.

if you have some time, here or in the blog please write about how you will approach next year, races, training camps and plans, how to pace training, when to push hard, when to rest, etc, i am genuinely interested. cheers and good luck!

• Options
    Funkin, as someone planning to take two years to prep for their next race I would also be interested in your approach to the coming year.
  • Options

thats definitely a positive way to think about it Duda, by saying that you will prepare for the next big one for 2y, instead of saying that you won't do a full race next year image 

• Options

He he , its helping keep my finger of the registration button for next year.. Strong the urge is.....

• Options

BH- come on you might as well sign up for Lanza...I have!!  It works well tying in with half term next year.  I just have to make sure the kids are ill for the last 2 days of term so that we can fly out on the thursday!  image

• Options

Andras, Duda - you're right - I'm in an absolutely amazing position with 13 months to train for a single race.  Right now I am planning to be fairly sensible about the build up.  I might even get a book and think of some general ideas for training.  I've never followed a 12/16/20/whatever week plan or done base/build/speed/taper (or whatever the terms are) plans.  I've just built up swim/bike/run distance and then tapered.  Maybe next year will be different.

I will write something when I've got a bit more of a plan together but I am planning on doing some cycling time trials next year.  There's quite a few near to where we live and I've never done a TT before so it could be interesting.

I 'may' try and swim a bit more as well.  But then again I say that every year!

The only other thing currently in my calendar is London Marathon in April.  I will be doing that as I love that race.

• Options
    funkin-baby wrote (see)

Andras, Duda - you're right - I'm in an absolutely amazing position with 13 months to train for a single race.  Right now I am planning to be fairly sensible about the build up.  I might even get a book and think of some general ideas for training.  I've never followed a 12/16/20/whatever week plan or done base/build/speed/taper (or whatever the terms are) plans.  I've just built up swim/bike/run distance and then tapered.  Maybe next year will be different.

I will write something when I've got a bit more of a plan together but I am planning on doing some cycling time trials next year.  There's quite a few near to where we live and I've never done a TT before so it could be interesting.

I 'may' try and swim a bit more as well.  But then again I say that every year!

The only other thing currently in my calendar is London Marathon in April.  I will be doing that as I love that race.

well, its the second Kona for you, so even if you don't follow a plan, you are definitely doing things right image good luck with your journey and keep us posted!

• Options
    andras wrote (see)

Batty Hattie wrote (see)

I've got to have one that falls in the school holidays.  So possibilities are Switzerland, Sweden, Copenhagan, and Japan.  Kind of discarded US and Canada as the flights are so expensive (yes, sad arse that I am, I've checked!).  I kind of like the idea of Switzerland as it's 19 July, which means the whole of August won't be spent training next year.

I've already signed up for Outlaw but have heard good things about Switzerland.

Was also thinking of Barca in October next year image

• Options

I got a place on Outlaw this morning at 8am.  Whoop whoop!  Last night I decided that I'd try for Outlaw and if I couldn't, I'd register for Lanza, but I did.  image

Yay Wabby; you'll be there too. image

• Options
    Batty Hattie wrote (see)

I got a place on Outlaw this morning at 8am.  Whoop whoop!  Last night I decided that I'd try for Outlaw and if I couldn't, I'd register for Lanza, but I did.  image

Damn...........*sticks fingers in ears and sings LaLaLa I'm not listening very loudly

• Options
    Duda the Mutineer wrote (see)
    Batty Hattie wrote (see)

Damn...........*sticks fingers in ears and sings LaLaLa I'm not listening very loudly

GO ON DUDA! You know you want to image

• Options
    Go Duda! You know it makes sense! It's sold out so you need to get a cancer research place. Costs ??500 instead of ??265, the extra goes straight to cancer research and you don't need to raise any more. I support cancer research so well happy with that and works out way cheaper than IM Lanza. image
  • Options

Duda, don't listen to them, you've made a decision, and you need to stick with it, it's all part of the long term plan.

• Options

I would love to but I need to keep a deal with the Ginga Ninja.. 2016 for me.

Thanks for the support MTri,