Is this Runners' World or Slimmers' World

The first thing I saw, when I picked up my Runners World was "get a firm, flat stomach". Hang on, I thought, this must be the wrong magazine. No, it wasn't. Why are the editorial team lowering themselves.

The profusion of slimming magazines and endless articles on weight loss from the dailies are bad enough but why do you have to do it as well. Can't we just be left to enjoy a fun sport without having to worry about what we look like. Editor, get a life!!!!

Comments

• Mmmm, yes, it was rather 'Mens Health'.
  • I agree with you colette. If you run regularly, and eat the sensible diet you need in order to have the energy to train, everything else will look after itself. Your body will tone, your fitness improve, and although you may not lose weight, you will look slimmer because of better muscle definition. I used to obsess with what I ate, and what I weighed, and ended up overeating and binging, when I did not really want the food, and generally making myself feel miserable. Then I started running, and things all fell into place. As I increased my fitness and mileage I allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted because of the calories I was burning up, with the result that I focused on foods for energy, and my cravings pretty much disappeared. There are so many magazines out there which fuel this self obsession, and negative self image, and I hope runners world is not going to jump on the same commercial bandwagon. There are enough people out there that want something different, and this is what RW, up till now has offered. Any other views ?
  • Not being funny, but things like that do appeal. lets take into account the fact that its new year. Alot of people have resolutions:

A) To start running

B) To quit smoking

C) To lose weight

D) To have a baby in the gender you havent had through the other 9 kids.

.....you get my point though right. It sells. And people dont always like the same cover stories.
  • Im afraid I need all the tips I can get. I started running to lose weight but im afraid i havent lost a thing since starting. Admittedly my legs look better, muscle defeition and all that, but my upper half is still dismal, arms flabby etc.
  • you only need to look at the number of weight loss threads on here to realise how many runners are trying to lose weight.

• well, i thought her tummy looked ace!

mine doesn't look like that despite 4 or 5 runs a week so i thought the article was good - strengthening the core muscles is beneficial i thought?
  • It's just a marketing decision for the new year resolutionites.

We run for a lot of different reasons. RW, I guess, tries to reflect most of them.
  • What has the content of the editorial got to do with whether the editor has a life or not?

He writes a piece on a topic you're not keen on so you start drawing conclusions about his personal life?
  • I think the idea of a flat stomach may appeal but i read the article because I thought it was about strengthening muscles which support the body but which are generally neglected by runners who just run.

I have found a lot of long runs can make the back prone to injury and a mate of mine reckoned a more women got a stitch because their stomach muscles were weaker. He used to advise sit ups.

Things may be different now. Pics were in black and white then

BO

• To maintain or lose weight is why a lot or runners run.

It's strange that on the My Profile page included in the reasons for running is not "enjoy running for its own sake"
  • gym ball exercises for core muscle strength

• When you start to run longer distances as in training for a marathon or even a Half, the long slow Saturday/Sunday runs that you do are the ones that will burn off the fat your trying to get rid of.
    Running 4miles 3 times per week at the same pace is going to lose you a bit of weight at first but the body gets used to this regime, yes it will help to tone you up a bit but its the long runs over 1-30 mins that are the fat burners....these are also known as base training as well, as they help the body to hold its own when a bit of faster work is put in on the shorter midweek runs. The longer runs actually help you run faster in the shorter races as you know that your body can run say 15miles when the race is only 5miles, so you can run say 10secs per mile faster = possible PB.