Frankfurt Marathon 2014

andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

Just signed up for this as my autumn attempt at a PB - always run faster in the autumn. Anyone any info on the course - looks a little tight and twisty in places? Just run London and Boston and was only 2m 30s of a PB whilst cruising around London so there is pace in the legs already so looking forward to a good summer of training. Booked Holiday Inn in centre of town.

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Yes, it's a little bit twisty in the opening and closing kilometres, but is very flat and so overall a fast course.  Well organised,but allow plenty of time to get into the start pen.

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

Cheers Joolska - are the pens properly graded and given its narrow at the start is it a case of get to the front if you can?

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I think the pens are graded - I was in the front pen last year off a 3.03 pb.  I started quite some way back in the pen but probably only lost about 10s in the first km, and to be honest that's no bad thing in a marathon (it ended up being my most evenly paced marathon!).

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

Looking forward to it - my pb is 2:57:27 and was hoping that this course might suit an attempt at beating it. Really like the look of the finish in the arena image

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

Flights and hotel booked - first marathon without the wife and kids coming to watch - will be weird but at the same time will mean less having to go around sightseeing or finding a local McDonalds for the kids as they will not eat anything else!

• I am running  Frankfurt. Although I may be taking longer than you both!  Ran Dublin 2013 in 4.31 and ran the Hamburg marathon in May in 4.17. Fingers crossed I can go sub 4 hour but if I get round again will be happy. After running in Hamburg, I decided to go for another German race. Hamberg was superbly organised so I expect Frankfurt will be too.

Stuart

Pontypool, South Wales

• Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

Had this marathon in the back of my mind for about 6 months , just realised it's not took far away now , anyhow made the decision to enter , therefore need to step up the training a bit , not done anything longer than 2 hours as yet , I hope the legs can cope with the rapid upturn in training , 

how is everyone's training going?

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

2 hours is a good starting point - my max so far is an 18 mile route which has been done three times now which includes a mile long fourth steepest road in Britain at mile 14 - makes the last few miles fun image. Hoping to stop the hills soon and stick to flat 20 mile plus routes soon. Did do a 42 minute 7 miler last night that was fun with one nice hill in the middle so i know the pace is there. 

• PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭

I did it last year in 3:07 off a PB of 2:58:30. It's certainly flat but I had a bad run hampered by phantom knee pain. I found the pens poorly policed and very cramped with jostling at the start and it didn't seem to thin out for miles. It was also very twisty and turny. It was also raining. Basically I was in a grump from the start and couldn't shake it. Joolska had a fantastic run from memory and broke her sub 3 target.

My advice is get to the front, don't get boxed in and you've got a great chance of a pb.

The city is great though. Fantastic German organisation and efficiency. Our Hotel was right across the road from the start and the expo. Definitely worth doing.

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

i have booked the holiday inn about 20 minute walk from start but near main train station - found out though after booking that its slap bang in the Red light District...shhhh dont tell the missus image

my fun bit is my flight back is sunday at 4.30pm so its a quick dash back to the airport after the race image

• Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

Andy 

sounds like your well on track with your training with the 18 milers under your belt and the 42 min 7 miler is quick ,  my marathon time is very similar to yours but I tend to train a bit slower ,

i don't envy you rushing off to the airport , I like to soak up the atmosphere and sample the local beers and fly home the following day , 

Pcleasby

thanks for the tip re the start , I think I will get there early and secure a good position , 

I know the feeling of having a bad start , I done Amsterdam last year and had problems with my Garmin and I had to virtually stop and reset , by the time I got back going loads had passed me and I spent miles on narrow paths weaving through people .which hotel did you stay in?

• PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭

Dean, I stayed in the Frankfurt NH Messe. Directly opposite the expo and the start line. A ten minute walk from the main station, (through the red light district). The hotel was excellent with a decent breakfast. Close to the subway system too. Obviously it was full of runners too so if you are travelling on your own there is always someone to chat to.

As for stopping to reset your Garmin…………...image

http://www.nh-hotels.com/nh/en/hotels/germany/frankfurt/nh-frankfurt-messe.html?nhagentid=11009&nhsubagentid=110095220109&utm_source=google&utm_medium=maps&utm_campaign=googleplaces

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

got the first 20+ miler in the bag this weekend - 23.4 miles on saturday (3h 10mins). Its always a big psychological barrier that first 20+ mile run in training - hoping to get another 3 or 4 in before the taper starts. 

on the subject of hotels etc in case anyone is on the same : flying from Manchester on Lufthansa Friday lunchtime - staying at Holiday Inn Express. 

• Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

PCleasby       Thanks for the hotel info , that one is full now , will have a look for one in the same area.

Andy.    Well done on getting the first 20 Miler plus out of the way ,sounds like your well on track ,

I had a bit of a setback with training . A week last sunday I pulled aback muscle just before heading out for a 17 miler , then the next day went down with a stomach virus which laid me up for a few days , any how got back out training this weekend just gone , completed a 17 miler the day after cycling 60 miles the day before  so legs were a little tired , you got any Halfs  booked in?

• Hi all , 

hows everyone training going ? counting down the weeks now , only signed up for the race on Sunday so no turning back now , 

done my first 22 miler on Sunday and felt ok , 4 weeks of hard training then the taper !

• Hi

Just signed up for this too - third time on the trot.  Looking forward to the disco finish !image

• Hi Teknik , 

it must be good if your doing it for the third year in a row , any tips much appreciated , 

whats the deal with the disco finish?

• Hi Dean,

The finish line is inside the FestHalle and involves a red carpet with ticker tape, dried ice, pom-pom girls and disco hits from the 80s.  image Totally over the top euro camp.image

Tips?  2012 was 0C, snow on the ground and I had a great run with a negative split.  It's a totally flat course.

2013 was warm, hitting 20C, with strong winds that mucked up everyone's Garmins.  I got knocked over approaching a water station around mile 22 but still PB'd.

So check the weather forecast, and take care on some narrow inner-city sections on the last few miles.  But it is a fantastic course...image

• teknik 

thanks for the tips , the finish sound interesting!

as you say better keep an eye on the weather , that's a huge difference from 0 to 20c 

planning my second 22 miler on Sunday , knee has been giving me a few strange pains the last few days so will take it easy 

• I ran this last year, No problems with the start. I got to the pens about 20 minutes before the start and got fairly close to the front. I could run the pace I wanted straight away(slower than Mr Cleasby and Joolska).

A couple of tips - avoid the breakfast run on Saturday, it was Borderline dangerous! The pasta party was good, excellent pasta and real beer.

• 2014 Frankfurt Marathon place for transfer available! Deadline 5th October.

I have strained something in my foot which means I have been unable to get the mileage in to be able to run this year image

It cost 71 Euros (£56) to enter; please contact me if you (or someone you know) would be interested in it!

• Sorry to hear you're benched Shotpurple...image

4 weeks to go...how's everyone's training going?

• Teknik

training going reasonably well , have had a few niggles , mainly back issues so have missed a few runs over the last week or so , also have not done a great deal of cross training (cycling) which I normally do , however got a couple of 23 milers under my belt and a few 19/20 milers , with a couple of long runs left to do , I think things will be ok on the day , 

how's your training going ?

not sure whats happened to the others posting on here before!

• Hi Dean, looks like things are going well with all those long runs.  I'm a bit behind where I was last year - only three 20s, a 20 planned tomorrow and a 22 next week, then a two week taper - so at least I'll get to five.

Hope the back niggles settle down soon.image

• Hey fellas, I'm hoping to toe the line too.

I've gone for an unorthodox approach for this one with an Ironman, a 35 mile trail race, an 18 and a planned 20 for next week mixed up with lots of HMP and faster sessions. No idea whether it will come together on the day.

What times are you shooting for? Have you done this race before?

• Hi SJ - looks like you won't be lacking endurance after an Ironman and a 35 milerimage.  I've done this the last two years - awesome event.  Aiming for 3h29 this time.

• Teknik 

5 long runs should be fine , I prefer a 3 to 4 week taper , do you normally only have a 2 week taper ?

hi Slokey joe 

sounds like you have got plenty of miles under your belt ,not sure if I could do that sort of training, !

I think  Teknik has run Frankfurt before but not myself , this time last year I ran Amsterdam in 2.57 , to finish quicker would be great but will be happy with a sub 3 , not raced at all since Amsterdam so not too sure where I am in relation to times, 

what time you hoping for?

• Well, hoping for a sub 3 but it really is a bit of a cheeky punt to be honest. 

Also only going for a 2 week taper.

Are the pacers reliable Teknik? It'd be nice to just zone out and not worry about splits.

• The taper was a typo - the next four weeks are 70 with a 22, 54 with an 18, 37 with a 13, then Race Week (only about 13m), so I guess that's a 3 week taper.

Pacers?  The pens are big and I never found one! I suspect if you get in the pen early and at the front it should be easy.

• Good luck everybody. I won't be joining you due to injury image

Now, where can I find a thread for the Florence marathon?