Barns Green Half-Marathon

123457»

Comments

• Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who struggled around this one image

The race was fab and actually I was ok on the hills. Only thing was my wonderful husband shared his cold with my 2 weeks before, and although I was mostly recovered but lungs gave up by about half way. The last 5 miles were pure hell... although I have to thank the guys and gals at mile 11.5 who were whole heartedly cheering everyone one with beers in hand! They really picked me up and I pushed as much as I could from then on to finish in 2:12:52

I know I wasn't at my best as my legs felt so strong once I could get oxygen back into them! I ran this morning for the first time since and am ok...

Anyone planned their next? I thinking about Bedford on 14th Dec? and / or Wokingham 8th Feb?

• What a wonderful race. Had such a brilliant time. only my third half, but the weather, scenery , supporters, great kids with water etc etc.  I ran with two team mates who dragged me along for the last 3 miles! pb by 11 mins.  We were the three in blue who ran round together (most of the time) and who had to strip down to club vests and discard the long sleeve tops half way round!

Just love the medal!

Annie

Crowborough runners.

• Cara Hamblin wrote (see)

Anyone planned their next? I thinking about Bedford on 14th Dec? and / or Wokingham 8th Feb?

Not yet, but want to find something in Jan/Feb, I feel I could get a good few minutes off easily with some more focussed training, but would want a couple of months at least to achieve that.

Gav

• I am in base training now for London until Christmas and I onyl have XC races and a couple fo 10Ks planned for the next two months, none of which I will be doing flat out. From January I'll step it up but only have 2 half's planned in before London - Haweswater in the Lakes and Bath Half. The rest of the races are longer trail stuff, or shorter faster 10ks and XC races. Hope to doa big PB by the time Bath comes around though!

A few club mates are planning on St Neots (now full I think) and Bedford, Bedford is supposed to be a good race. 

• LizzieLou wrote (see)
    Sussex Beacon in Feb image
    Good suggestion, looks perfect image
  • Sussex Beacon is next for me!  Then Reading in preparation for the big day at FLM.

Probably fit in a few 10ks as well, including Brighton next weekend.  Just hope it isn't blowing a gale this time!

• Sussex Beacon does look good - anyone know how it compares to Barns Green?
  • I did the Sussex Beacon in 2006 and the conditions were horrid - cold/wet/windy. Having said that, I still managed a PB that I've yet to improve on. Flat course, scenic if you like running along the coast. Much easier than Barnes Green, and a great course for PB especially if the weather holds out.
  • Hmm jealous now as I think I would like to do this, but have the National Cross Country Championships the day before where I will be pushing quite hard for a PB over a tough course.
  • Cara - very different to Barns Green!  Completely flat until about 8 miles, then a couple of small hills.  I found them difficult this year, but they'll be a doddle after Sunday!

As MacFitz says - good PB course, and scenic if you like the sea!  The one thing I didn't like is that when you turn at 6 miles in Hove, you can see the next few miles of the course ahead of you.  I was at the back dodging the walkers and pushchairs on the prom last time!  Hopefully won't be anywhere near as slow next time...

• Sussex Beacon is a great race, as they always are along Brighton sea front.

Just be aware that the climb up to past the marina can catch you out. As can the wind if its blowing.

Brighton 10k is my next race, then Hasting Marathon in December.

Feet up for Christmas after that I reckon image

• Good luck you all on your next run(s).

It will be a long time before I can run again after this one. Walking is painful enough. Still only myself to blame. I always knew that this would be my last run for a long while. I hope to be able to train again next year, I'd love to run another marathon. I may just settle for one thing only, not try and do everything - distance / speed / hills / xcountry. I only have one pair of legs after all. 

• I am planning to do Sussex Beacon too - have done it twice before and I agree with Pete Sherri's comments about the hills at 8 and 11 miles taking you by surprise. 

I am also planning to do Tadworth 10 on 4 January which is much hillier than Barns Green!

• Hi,

I'd really love to run this race as a training run for the Virgin London Marathon,  It would be my first (I'll prob be last if i run) half marathon, and I'd really love to be able to make it...

I'm still a pretty long way off, at the moment i am running 10k's and will be running a couple this summer, as training runs, at the moment i ran 13 miles this week, then 14, 15, 16, 17, and 12 etc etc...

my 10 k's (roughly) are in the South West - 6 Moor Miles and  Jurassic Coast 10k which is amazing and hilly and i did it on my first running spurt in 07...

If I get as far as this hm it will be amazing!!! I hope I can do it!!!

http://schizophrenicgirlrunning.blogspot.com/

• hope to...hope to... ✭✭✭

Hi greentigress

I ran this event last year and loved it.  

Just the right size, friendly, well organised and I PB'd which was great.

Good luck with the training, might see you at the start!

• Just registered to do this - mine will be early training for the new Brighton Marathon in April!  Ran 9.1 miles last weekend - well more like staggered really - good luck to everyone who will be doing Barns Green again this year!!
  • Ran the Birmingham Half last Sunday after two Sundays of 10ks and loved it, so need to do another as I think I've got the bug!  So just entered!
  • Keith, I am sure you will love Barns Green, it's a lovely race - a 'proper' race - friendly, great mix of abailities and beautiful course which can be fast (although I have never managed to PB there). I can't make it this year but good luck to all those running.
  • Just a big thank you to all who turned out to run and support.  Was my first run at barns green and will defo be back.  Hopefully the sun will make an appearance this time but this is Englandimage
  • Really enjoyed my first run round Barns Green, will be back next year, a new pb time of 1hr 35mins i'm more than happy with. Well organised i thought, well done to all involved.