Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

GFA place confirmed today- who's in for London 2015?

Me and junior OO have a nice race plan- looking at a fast parkrun (pb attempt) this w/end. Lausanne on the 25th (10k for junior, half M for me), then Derwentwater 10 a week late, 2nd November. Very exciting...

Glad your daughter has settled Minni- a difficult time I know.   

• TAR - oh no!!!!!!!!
    Leslie - the form will return soon enough.
    Minni - pleased to hear the swimming is going well and your daughter has settled in ok.
    OO - sounds like a plan!
    4 miles with 8x200m @MP d&d. Just one more session to go. Weather forecast for Sunday is still looking good.

• Gul - sorry to hear that your ballot application wasn't successful. Mrs L got a similar response (she knew beforehand that I'd put her name into the ballot this time!). at least you'll have a GFA place for 2016 as a result of Mable.

Minni - glad to hear the swimming is going well. Also good news that young Minni (Minnette?) is settling in OK. Elder Lorenzito go this form off this week so we'll be going through all that this time next year (hopefully)

OO - yup, I'll be there. Pack arrived safely yesterday.

Interval session for me this morning - the Marrows mile cutdown session again. 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Abbers, Leslie ,TAR  - hang in there - you'll all be back - I'm (half) living proof . . . . .

OO - yes, GFA pack arrived y'day  

Minni - had similar here when my daughter went away, so pleasing all now well . .

TR - nice one for the lad, well done to him (and you) - will you be at VLM?  

Gul - rest here today/tmrw - yes, I see the forecast indeed looks terrible for Sat & Mon, but decent for Sunday - have you had influence image  ?

• Minni - Congratulations on sustaining the grown-up motherly thing.  Sounds like you've done a great job.

Come on, MsE, keep up.  I stopped whining about my boring Achilles injury several hours ago.  I've now moved on to whining about my boring groin strain.  Annoyingly, I had convinced myself that I'd make it to the Abingdon start line this year.  What an eejit.

Gul & Birch - Sit down, put your feet up.  Don't make any sudden movements.  I'll pop round and put the kettle on.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

TR - glad to hear the ribs have settled down. A bit of run focus, and you'll be flying again by next month. Excellent news on the county invitation for the younger lad. Don't discount his chances though; plenty of quality quick/seam bowlers haven't been giants (Marshall, Hadlee, Waqar, Stein, even Hoggard & Anderson). Duncan Fletcher always reckoned there were three qualities to look for in a pace bowler; speed, bounce and movement. If you had one of them, you would be good, if you had 2, you'd be very good, and all 3 made you world class. Lack of height isn't necessarily a barrier, and he's likely to catch up in that department as he gets older anyway. Plenty of time for him.

Minni - well done on the swimming and family management, and thanks for the e-bay tip. I've had a little browse round, and it could definitely be an option.

Congrats on the London places OO & Lorenzo, and like the look of the OO family race plans.

Gul & Birch - nearly there... image

TAR - Cosy here on the bench, isn't it? White, one sugar please.

5k on the x-trainer, 11 miles on the bike. Onwards and upwards.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

HI Gang! Well done to those that got into London. I had my rejection mag through the post yesterday. I'm already doing Brighton but had it in mind that I would like to attempt 2 in 2. PB in Brighton then have a high five session along the London route with my two pals who managed to get in. Never mind, I'll just have to go all out for a GFA in Brighton with the helpful tips from you lovely people!

Not been on here for a while. Got back from holiday in August to find my Dad had a massive stroke followed by major heart surgery, before which he was given just a 5% chance of surviving. He got through it though and is recovering slowly. So what with work, kids looking for Uni and college places, it's all been a bit mad.

Sprained my ankle 15 miles into a 17 mile run a few weeks ago. Ran the last 2 miles after the pain subsided but the thing ballooned up despite instant RICE treatment so I ditched my sub-90 PB attempt for the Thames Half this weekend as I lost 2 solid weeks of training. Instead I'll be building up base fitness in prep for the Brighton campaign.

I'm thinking of doing Berlin next year. Has anyone here done it? If so, is it as flat and fast as they say it is? Many new world records set over the past few years would suggest so, but for us mortals further back in the field does the organisation, pen marshalling etc allow us to make a genuine PB attempt?

Cheers

SB

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Minni - good news re yr daughter. Ouch on the rugby, mine were always footy over rugby.

Abbers - at this age they are only looking for athletic potential really so size matters. But its nice to be invited.

Birch - hope you have a good one. You have had good consistency. VLM is probably a no for me, but never say never as that would end the streak and I probably won't do any more then. I have a 1/2 IM I want to do 2 weeks after vlm instead. But I'll decide in the new year.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

http://vimeo.com/52222410  worth spending 3min watching this. It will make you want to run.

SB good luck with the family stuff. Berlin is v flat, fairly crowded at the start though. It's potentially very fast but all races depend on the weather. I think last weekend was especially cool; when I went in 2011 it was too hot. Nothing you can do about this but it's a great city to visit whatever happens in the race  

Abbers - Malcolm Marshall - lack of height let him skid the ball through at great pace. As a spectator you literally couldn't see the ball through the air at times.

GFA pack arrived. LM streak no 10.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

I didn't enter VLM despite having GFA.  Thought I'd save £32 as I'm planning to be much further south come April. Things are coming to a head emigration-wise as I had an job interview with SA cancelled at the last minute today as the client wanted someone to start quickly in the end and have a face-to-face interview with the candidate.  Thinking to be heading south in beginning of November. 

I did have a look for African marathons online, but they get a bit sparse in the New Year as the temperature is too high.  One race did catch the eye, but not that I want to enter it - a track race with a 100 mile, 24 hour, 6 day and 10 day option.  Nice that they have an 'easy' 100 mile option.....

• Poacher, cool video. Thanks for the link. Gives me an idea about some of the fell terrain I hear so much about on other threads.

TAR, so sorry to hear about the latest injury, particularly if it knocks you out of your race. Hang in there.

Abbers, just need to stay patient I guess.

Leslie, nice to see you getting back at it. It will certainly come. Best part of returning from injury are the big gains to be had all over again.

SJ, gutted to hear about your hip. I'm not quite sure what to say as I can't imagine hearing those words. But it is also utterly impossible to believe you perform so brilliantly despite the bad joint. Much respect and may those joints stay w/you for a long while yet!

Gul and Birch, nail it this weekend! All the work is in and you guys are ready. Hoping the weather and all body systems GO on the day.

Sorry to have missed so much else as been too busy at work to write consistently. Many great races (and WAVA scores, whatever they may be!) going on by threadites.

As for me, was able to get 2 quality sessions in last week (13 w/10 at subLT Tues and 22 w/10 at subLT Sat). Was very strong on the LR w/speed and that was a great psychological boost. So far this week I've done a 10 w/7 subLT Mon, 8 Tuesday, and 6 w/6 striders today (and these felt awesome!; I was a 400M sprinter as a youngster and this is when I feel most alive...at top speed). 10K on Sat followed by 16 or 17 Sunday. After that just 2 more weeks.image Body feeling relatively intact at the moment (I shouldn't have mentioned it though).

BTW SJ, did you get your Cliftons in yet? If so, what say you??

• Lorenzo - is Mrs L still planning a spring marathon?
    Birch - not sure, but Mrs GD is very upset about the change in weather for Saturday. Will you be running on your own on Sunday? It would be good to at least meet up before the start and maybe set off together if you'd like?
    TAR - black coffee for me, please.
    Abbers - good cross-training.
    SB - sorry to hear about your dad's stroke. If you can't make Berlin, you could always try Mablethorpe which is also flat (so I hear).
    Bike It - 10 day option!
    VTr - another couple of good weeks' training. Not long now!
    Final run (2 recovery miles) completed. Now trying to decide which shoes to wear on Sunday.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Poacher - Marshall was always one of my favourites, especially as I was a junior member at Hampshire during the late 80s, so saw him play a lot. Always had a smile on his face, and a brandy after the day's play. Wonderfully skilled bowler, as well as being lightning fast.

SB - blimey, all been going on with you then! Glad your Dad is on the mend. So is the nominal Brighton target 3:15, having gone under 3:20 this year?

TR - your lad's on the list at a young age. That's important when it comes to county set ups, as you have a much better chance if you're on their radar from early on. Which is the 1/2 IM? Is it another of the Race New Forest events?

BI - 10 days on the track? image That's truly bonkers.

VTR - those are some excellent runs you've been turning in. Bodes well - look after yourself from here on in!

Gul - what are the shoe options?

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Abbers: Yep, Brighton will be a bid for 3.15 now I have course knowledge and learned some lessons in training. First target will be to get under 3.19.59 (my PB time set this year!) and to not run the final 0.2 miles at 6.40 pace with my thighs about to explode!

If it wasn't for the garmin telling me that sub-3.20 was on the crads I wouldn't have bothered and just settled for a comfy PB.

More strength work in the gym, hill sessions and longer midweek runs are key training adjustments.

SB

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Some cracking sessions going on there, VTr  -  looking good . . . . .

Gul - yes, would be great to say hello. There's a few of us coming over - a quartet for the marathon - me, my fellow VoGit, another club friend (a nipper of 48), and my training partner who is returning to the 26.2 after timeout for family starting/early years care. My son and his mate are doing the half.  
    Shoe choice? is this a bit of taper-madness creeping in? I know which shoes, but I spent quite a bit of time y'day trying on and fretting over sock options  . . . .

See you Sunday, hopefully - for once I may be up before you (leaving here 6am, so up around 5)

• Hi SB, good to have you back and sounds like your dad had a lucky escape! I concur with Poacher re Berlin. Great race And one I'd like to do again.

VTR, yes the Cliftons have arrived and they look lovely and are mind bogglingly light. Haven't been able to test them though since I've had a very sore ankle/shin since last weekend and have been confined to limping around. image Looks like Frankfurt is off the cards now so I've been scouting for alternative fast courses from mid November to January - looks like there are a few (Florence, valencia, Pisa, Malaga) to pick from. Any suggestions are welcome....

Best of luck to Gul and Birch this weekend. Kimetto had better watch out!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Hi SJ: Pisa is incredibly flat and fast. A mate of mine grabbed a PB (3.24) round there last year. His Garmin reported an elevation gain of around 50 feet!!

SB

• Rather sombre run at lunchtime. Ran to Ealing to do the mile but it was cancelled as a runner had died on Wednesday following collapsing at the end of the Ealing Half on Sunday: only 33 years old. The park was also full of yellow ribbons for Alice Gross, the young girl they pulled out of the Brent River earlier this week.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Such thing are always very sobering PMJ.  I consider myself very lucky to be able to run some days.

I would be keen to hear your feedback on the shoes SJ once you venture out - always wanted to try a pair myself. 

13 miles over moderate hills at what I hope will be MP on Oct 19 - it's a modest 8:10 pace but that is about as much as I can expect at the moment.  I was happy for it to end and was reminded that the marathon is mentally tough and need to get my brain in gear to do something I haven't done for more than a year. I am looking forward to flat running though. My next planned run is the first and last of my 20milers.

• Gul and Birch, hope you two can get your wardrobes figured out in time.image

SJ, sorry to hear about the newest injury. I remember you mentioning it last week but assumed it was minor. Haven't run any of those marathons but do particularly like Pisa where I have run before (and has one of the best pizza joints I've been to tucked into  random little corner store that can only seat about 4 people). And that reminds me of one of my favorite run/hikes...Cinque Terre...which is not far from Pizza.

BI, coming along nicely. Good luck on the final LR and also the marathon.

So my striders from yesterday (which were so enjoyable) have left me w/some mild DOMS today (dooh!). Oh well, hopefully I won't feel that in the race tomorrow.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

All the best to the racers this weekend with Gul & Birch in mind. You two deserve a great R.O.I. and the best to the walking wounded too. Sorry have not had anytime to read back properly as things have been a bit hectic this end.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

All the best to Gul and Birch, I'd like to see both go well (for differing reasons).

Abbers - yes, Swashbuckler 10th May. Its flat, but that makes it a different type of hard to the Sept 1/2 IM.

• SB - good to see you back on here. Sounds like you dad is a bit of a fighter! Are you going to do the Surrey Half again next year? I think I'll be doing the Cranleigh 15 instead as part of the London build up.

Birch / Gul - hope you're both taking it nice and easy tomorrow. No heavy gardening etc etc.

Poacher - did you say that you were doing C2C in January?

Heavy night last night at a dinner in town so it was a gentle 4 mile run along the Thames this morning to get some fresh air ahead of a day full of meetings. image

At least the weekend's here now. image

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - prob either CC45 or TT50, depends on my and MrsPs work stuff. You up for the CC?

Gil, Birch - best of luck and of course don't be s***
  • Abbers - Lidl or Aldi!
    SB - I was supposed to be doing strength work this campaign, but it never materialised.
    Birch - OK - I'll keep an eye out for no 79. I'm no 37 and another 48 year old nipper.
    PMJ - a guy from Norwich collapsed and died during the round Norfolk relay the other week.
    Bike It - steady progress.
    VTr - good luck to you too.
    GM - Republic of Ireland?
    TR - Thanks. I remember you recommending me not to do the session from which I picked up the injury that resulted in the VLM disaster!
    Lorenzo - Mrs GD has seen a nice 5 mile walk image
    Poacher - perhaps I'll change my name to Gil-galadimage
    Should be setting off for Lincolnshire later this morning - thanks to everyone for all your best wishes and of course all your advice and encouragement over the last 4 or 5 years! I can't wait.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

I'll look out for you, Gul - just off for my traditional 2 mile pre-mara jog - rain has just arrived to accompany me . . . . . .

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Before I begin, apologies for the following self indulgent post.

I’ve only managed the odd lurk over the last 3-4 weeks, as work & home have been madly busy.

Of course, neither of those things got in the way of last Sunday’s Robin Hood Marathon.

My training had gone really well over the summer, probably one of the best build ups to any of my previous 27 marathons or ultras. Long runs and speed sessions had me thinking that I would be able to run faster than the 3:12 I recorded at Manchester in April.

Still, I decided to set off at 3:12 pace to keep a lid on things. The first mile was crowded and well supported as I headed from the Trent to the city, under a patchy cloudy and sunny sky. The 1st mile marker arrived and 7:25 was about right for me, but not the 3:15 pace group, who had bombed off very quickly and were already far ahead. 

I settled into my running, back towards the river, with early encouragement from Mrs. F at 3 miles, where I came alongside Steve Edwards. “What number is this then?” I asked. “661. You?” was his terrifying reply! Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m proud of my 28 marathons and ultras, but it sounded a pretty feeble total in comparison. The 3:15 pace group were still way ahead, but I was now comfortably into my running, 7:20s each time. 

The course passed through scenes and sites ranging from the lorry park of a factory, through beautiful university grounds, to parks and lakes; and we were soon at mile 11 where the 1/2 and full marathons divided. The crowded field was suddenly very sparse and quiet.

Half way arrived in a perfect 1:36, with the 3:15ers still way up the road. Now, I was feeling very strong at this point, but resisted spoiling the day with any daft surges. They would have to wait until mile 18!

The course continued with it’s striking contrasts, but I was waiting for number 18 and when it arrived, I decided to test the pace. Just a little faster felt fine - so I kept it going.

The 20 mile point, at the side of the boating lake, was where I finally caught the 3:15 group (all 4 of them!) - at 2:25:30, so over a minute inside 3:12 pace. I tested a bit more pace and felt ok - may be 3:10 should be my new target?

I was doing crazy calculations and trying to keep the pace without cramping or crashing. The miles were passing by and I was overtaking runners in various states of post 20 mile marathon madness. I felt good, would I be able to get under 3:10? 

Between 24 and 25 miles I passed the finish line, which was cruelly on the other side of the river. 25 miles came at the bridge crossing and 3:00:45. Yes, sub 3:10 was my final target. I imagined running as smoothly as a MoBot, but marathonfoto confirms that this was not the case. Down the final crowd lined, riverside mile to the finish park, seemed to take an absolute age, but as I rounded the finish field I could see the clock still at 3:09:

Through the finish line in 3:09:21 for my quickest marathon in 5 years.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done, Fishy!  Great report and very controlled, carefully pacing.  Sounds like there's a good chunk to come off there if you were able to finish so strongly.

Very busy this end with training, working and rehearsing in varying proportions, hence lack of posting of late.

Best of luck to Birch and Gul - everything crossed for both of you!

• Great stuff Fishy! Congratulations on a super time. Sounds like the 3:15 pacer was a bit too eager...

• Vtrunner - goodluck in the race today.

Gul - remember to pace yourself ,you were too keen last time !

Birch - smash it !

Fishy- great race and report image that sub 3 is getting closer !

Rest day yesterday for me.