Sub 3h15

Comments

• Run well, gents.  Here's hoping for good times at Mablethorpe.

TR - Maybe no more marathons?  How come?

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Brilliant, Fishy - superbly executed, and great report !   

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Jools - is your Frankfurt preparation still on track?

• Great stuff Fishy - I'm impressed by how well you kept things under control and leave  yourself something for the end. What was your pace in the last few miles?

Poacher - if I do one of them it'll be C2C as it's more convenient to get to and it doesn't look like it clashes with anything else.

Gul, Birch - both of you are in good shape for tomorrow so I suspect that there will be a few pleasant surprises in store for you. Stay calm and in control, enjoy it and above all don't be sh!t

Another hilly long run for me this morning - took a different route up Box Hill and underestimated the total distance so the planned 15 miles turned into 17.4. All miles in the bag and a recovery run tomorrow should take me over 50 for the week. Fortunately made it back before it started raining - unfortunately Mrs L wasn't so lucky!

• All the best for the crew racing tomorrow, especially Gul with an ambitious halving of the PB! Great run there fishy. Do you know tat the 3:15 pacer came in at?

parkrun this morning and someone needed a 22 pacer so I took it easy. Turns out he wanted 21:30 (old PB was 22:05) and he got 21:38 so he was happy and then I padded the whole thing to 12 muddy up and down miles to hit 40 for the week. Starting to feel a good run of weeks (42, 40, 47, 50, 50, 40) has got me into the sort of shape to run a semi-decent 10 miler in 2 weeks time.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Oh yes Fishy great result- and a well run race, can't argue with a 5 year best. And good luck to tomorrows racers- hope conditions are improved.

I was poor at the parkrun this morning in 18:20 on a different course, and junior took a wrong turn, losing 1st lady place. But we had tea and cakes and a good laugh after.   

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Best Wishes for Gul and Birch tomorrow. May your goals come true.

Good running there Fishy - always nice to run well in the last miles of the marathon.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fishy - fastest marathon for 5 years. Nice. What madd the difference?

Gul - use the vlm dissappointment as fuel tomorrow.

TAR - wanting to put my energies into swim and bike before I get too old. My swimming costs me time and podiums.
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Jools/Leslie - Maybe there is some more time to come off another marathon. My PB is 3:05 from 2008, and last week's RH was my 3rd quickest. To be really competitive with  the other V50s (Poacher and OO?) I really need to go sub 3 don't I! 

Slokey/PMJ - I never follow pace groups and the RH pacers are a good example of the reason why. I didn't see the pacer's number, so don't know what time they finished.

Lorenzo - My final 10k pace was about 7min miles, may a couple of seconds more, so I had upped the pace quite a bit, but still wasn't at sub 3 pace, even for only 10k.

TR - Main difference was that RH is an Autumn marathon, so lovely summer weather and light nights to train to. I got in 2 really good streaks of training (mixture of 3-4 bike rides, 3-4 runs a week), one which lasted 24 days, the other 32 + some nice long bike rides. I also tried a bit of Poacher's what if the opposite were true? with a 10 day block of pure running. Bit of a risk for my right knee, but it held out - just.

Best of luck to Gul & Birch tomorrow. 

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Well done Fishy great run and report.

Best of luck to Birch and Gul tomorrow, hope you both have a great race.

In other news, I've tweaked my calf. Bugger!!

I'm not panicking yet but two days of no running stupidly feels like all my hard work is slipping away.

Who am I kidding, I AM panicking!

Tell me it'll be alright.
  • That's nowt Moof, I'm on day 7. I did manage a lovely 2:45 bike ride this afternoon though and the leg is starting to feel a lot better. A bit twingey but I passed the "hop test" today. Ride again tomorrow before chancing a run on Monday.

Hope yours is a momentary blip.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fishy - sounds good but you'd have to run a bit more often to maximise your potential. But it all depends on your aims. Im happy not maximsing mine.

Moof - self massage and hot water bottle when it starts to heal do short loops so yoh can stop when it gets tight.
  • TR, are you going back to basics on the swimming with a coach perhaps? Or are you just dedicating more time? What standard are you now and how much do you think you can shave off? Toying with changing my approach to swimming myself so would be grateful for any experiences you have.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Fishy - Great report and result. Well done and excellent pacing.imageimage

Gul - Return on investment.image

Dropped the car off today in the sticks for a valet and did the sensible thing and went running on the North Coast cliff paths to kill the time. 7.2 easy miles in just under an hour, felt brilliant afterwards. Breath-taking scenery up there and I think that will have to be a regular thing that I incorporate into my weekly running throughout the winter.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - I'M steady 27min for 1500m in the lido and could do it again straight aftr but cant swim fast. I have an old quitana roo TT bike now which is saving me a bit of time. But am always giving 5 to 10 mins away in the swim in a 1/2 im. I was 15min behind the winner of the swashbuckler and 10 of that was the swim although he is a ~55 min im swimmer. I need some aero wheels and 5mins in the swim. I recently had a swim smooth 1 to 1. I have to do lots of doggy paddle, one armed swimming and learn to swim bilaterally. Although I dont need to race bilaterally. I would also benefit from making a couple of my swim sessions last for an hour rather than the 30 to 40 mins I currently do. The drills will balance up my one sided swimming apparantly. This will become a winter project. I hardly ever swim ow either.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

TR I'm a truely awful swimmer- is it just time and training or could you not get a coach to help your technique?

Moof- yes bugger indeed, hope it's not to serious- calves are pretty robust aren't they?

5 miles skipping to round off a poor day. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Fishy - great report and well done. Top work.

Moof - breathe...breathe... Hope it's just a niggle.

Speedy - how's it going?

Gul / Birch - go get it boys.

Swimming progress - I've got DOMS in my boobs.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - I have had video analysis and have the homework. Hopefully I can book another in a few months. Its ??100 a pop though.

Minni - you cant say that on here, my glasses have just steamed up. Happy to help with any rehab work.
  • Sounds like we are similar. My IM swims come in at 1:09 as a comfortable effort but I'd like to get that to sub 60. What's the doggy paddle for?

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Minni - I've just warmed my hands on my steamed up glasses, so I'm ready to help.

SJ - doggy paddle with a pull buoy, so no kicking and it makes you pull with two vertical forearms, I swim with a horizontal forearm on one side. breat every 3 strokes to keep it balance. I reckon I'd be 75min + in an IM at the mo. you'd be ahead of me.

• Moof - its only taper madness I hope image it will be fine !

Gerard - sounds like you had fun .image

MInni- sounds like progress alright !

got up felt a bit rough, waited a while felt better so jogged 10 miles then had a short kip to recover ! image

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Moof - It'll be alright. It's some madness of the taper kind.

TR - You are right, of course. I do go on about my right knee (2 ops a few years ago) and I know that cycling keeps it strong & free of pain. However, the 10 day running block totalled 78 miles (I know that there are plenty who do that in a week), with 2 long runs and a decent long speed session. I needed to bike on 11th day, but it has made me wonder about putting more running into a marathon build up.

Gerard - Great cliff top run there.

Minni - DOMS? Ouch!

Leslie - Who can deny that running is the ultimate cure?

• Gul/Birch...all the best today!

Fishy, awesome race. Superbly run. I can only hope my gut leads me as well on the day. What a nice way to finish 26.2!

OO, 18:20 is my kind of poor. Sorry to hear of the wrong turn for your daughter, but I can relate as it happens too often to me!

Moof, don't panic! And those days off are probably the best thing you could do anyway. Secretly, your body is rejoicing at the R&R. Hope you are back to form soon.

GM, nice run. Always nice to hear about a rave run...especially one that happens unexpectedly.

Leslie, miles keep increasing. How's the (knee?) holding up?

Copying an abbreviated version of my post from the HADD forum over here. The 10K today was a nice race featuring our local running clubs.  Overall felt I gave a good effort. Felt comfortable miles 1-3, then hurt a bit on 4 & 5 (gradual hill over these), then legs back under me mile 6 (but I thought it was mile 5 so was hanging back a bit). When I saw the 6 mile marker I shifted and let fly. 4:50 pace for the last 1/4 mile shows I haven't lost all my speed but certainly could have run a more aggressive final 2 miles. This was my 3rd 10K (all done this year). Previous 2 were 42:2X and 42:1X, so I'll take 40:35 as progress. Was secretly hoping to break 40, but think that will have to wait for next year (when the plan hopefully will be to train for only 5K to 1/2 marathons ifI can qualify for Boston in a few weeks!).

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

My swimming is likely to lead to drowning if I make it past 800m - I swallow too much air and get chronic pain.  Sounds like it could be coached out though.

The first and last 20miler prior to my marathon in 2 weeks is done.  I felt fine other that my hips were getting a bit fatigued for the last few miles.  That's actually the first decent weeks training I've put together for more than a year.  Progress not perfection.

• Fishy-to be competitive you need at least 80% wava but sub 3 will do for now image

VTR-that's a good chunk of your pb , sounds like a bit better pacing and sub 40 is yours soonimage , I only need 7 secs to get there too,maybe next year image . I hope to increase mileage a lot more and my knee is certainly better than it was with the physio and stretches but its still sore but I'm not dragging it at the start of a run like I used to so far till it started working .

Bike it -only one 20 ! with 2 weeks you either have it or you don't now.

36 miles for the week .Looking forward to Epic race reports image

• Interesting to hear about your 3/4 days bike, 3/4 days run, Fishy.  I think that's the way to go for the elderly/infirm.  Glad to hear it worked out for you.

I'm sending healthy calf vibes your way, Moof.

• What happened today at Mablethorpe? Has there been some kind of communication failure on the east coast?!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - The results are up on Power of ten. I don't know Birch's name but hopefully they will check in all ok soon.