Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Scott Edgington wrote (see)
    So running 2.2x miles to work does count for something image

Simon - Good mileage + built around doubles is my aim now. Doubles is what creates strength. Stripping the schedule back and running shorter and more often then building on the doubles once I have got used to constant sessions again.. I think running 60mpw on doubles is easier than 60m on singles? As long as you allow body to rest correctly inbetween. I did find that every day I was facing at least 8m which would be around 60 minutes once I got shoes in and got them off when home. My coach although advised me to increase mileage he did say aim to build upto 10-12m per day over doubles and don't care how so 8/4 6/6 5/5 - much better time wise.. Luckily I live close to work and have a bike so will probably start utilising combo of bike in / run home / run in / bike home next day then building in doubles ..

Anyway! Keep going off about potential plans and should wait! To many ideas lol

I also read about overloading a LSR every so often and cutting down increasing speed on last few miles - so my staple will be 12-14m for example but every 4th run 16.. Thoughts?

I thik the last idea is a good one. I porobably should have added that I am often a bit later than I want to be when leaving home, so it often turns into an undulating tempo. 7 min miling in the morning with a bag actually seems faster than it should be!! So I sort of inadvertantly add lots of little tempos in too.
    Oh and Plank? one min and I am done! Although is it of any use? There was an article in AW a while back disputing it's benefit...

• I've planked for 5 mins before, but it is not pleasant.

I've had a manic week in Grenoble at a trade show. Flew out Monday afternoon but didn't get to bed until 1am. Busy couple of days at the show finishing with a good drink up Wednesday night, then a hell of a day yesterday. Flight home was delayed then M3 W slip road was shut so had to go near to London to turn around. Bed just after midnight from a 1029 scheduled flight! image

To cap it all off, the gym next to the hotel told me that the hotel had not had a use agreement for over a year, so no bike for me this week. 2 short runs alongside the river Drac. Lunchtime ride today since back in Blightly

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Plank! I've done 15 minutes. Its a meaningless exercise. Waste of time.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Are you sure it was a proper plank, and not just lying on the floor? image

Most I ever managed was 2mins. 90seconds after a lunchtime run feels enough now. But then core/strength is very much a "nice to have" for most at our levels isn't it. If we were pros no doubt we'd all find the time very easily.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Ric, I saw your advice to a guy with an injury on some random thread.

To prepare for 2years out.

Encouraging son, encouraging!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Why not the truth. The downside of kidding these poor sods that dreaming and will power will solve their ills only ensures they end up pissing about for even longer.

I had an injury when I was 20 years old that was still hurting 18 months later, having not run a yard in all that time. I advise from personal experience.

Anyway, I'm more concerned for Bus on the injury front at the moment.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

There's a gentler way of dishing it though Ric.

Bus'll be fine.

I remember a fast V40 runner saying how over a certain age, the situation with niggles, is all about managing them rather than eradicating them.

Me and Bus have had a parallel running "Career" in many ways. We both started racing in July 2002, and we've both collected and seen off some at the time worrying seeming niggles.

It's just one of those times that'll be seen out I'm sure.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

You've got the advantage of youth though SG image

Thanks Ric - that makes two of us image. As SG says, it'll get sorted one way or another.

Iron - sounds like a pretty full-on week! I couldn't stand being in Grenoble and not getting out up an Alp somewhere!

Simon - I find doubles on the commute a great way to build up mileage. Does get a bit more of a bind sometime out here in the sticks on a cold wet winters evening though!

I do various planking as part of the core exercise to control my back issue. I find the side plank is the most effective. I couldn't plank for 15 minutes though!

Quick road run tonight after two days off. It was a bit weird, as everything felt OK for the first 3.5 miles, and the adductor held up pretty much OK to the end - whihc is positive. However, I had a pain on the other side of the quad near the groin, which has been nagging since the bike ride last Sunday. I can only imagine it's some form of compensation thing. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Years ago I strained that kind of area myself. Quick google image, and brings it all back. It was the "Gracillis" muscle for me.

Tricky area. Chingo never came back from his groin type problem, and I remember spending about 6months in 07 trying to rehab mine. Eventually being told by a physio just rest would never fix it, but strengthening and carrying on running would.

Clearly that was in the 25 or so miles a week max days....

• I should have taken my bike Bus! To make things worse, all that standing in work shoes hasn't helped the achilles.

So tomorrow's progression run becomes an easy WP plod.

You should roll your hip flexor and TFLs.
  • Ric - it may be ok down your way but up here it would be bang out of order for someone to call his elder 'son'. It grates me when Stevie does it to you but wondered if it was ok with you?
  • SG calls everyone son.
  • BUS - side plank +1 - at least feels more effective than a regular plank - as said I could do 10 minutes front but 90s ok the side would start the become tough, if you then add in raising the leg much better for runners. I would still argue doing it every so often would help in some way.

Sounds like a rubbishy week IC but few days a miss might not hurt with some life stress and rushing around - be gentle with the Achilles!

Bus - have you had your hips checked? Rotating? I've also found my bike position needs sorting (it's probably to big to be fair) I can sometimes get a little stiff in the groin being slightly off posture (I think)- you do fair amount of cycling could this be possible too?
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    IronCat5 wrote (see)
    SG calls everyone son.

What! even women?

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    IronCat5 wrote (see)
    SG calls everyone son.

Makes everyone feel young.

I was asked if the mate I took to my old running club was my son once. Bit worrying as it was about 6 years ago, and we're the same age.

To be fair it was the same mastermind behind sessions like letting fireworks off into the air, and then sprinting into their paths....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)
    IronCat5 wrote (see)
    SG calls everyone son.

What! even women?

Lit clamped down on me for that.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Better than calling him dad I guess!

TFL sounds feasible Iron. I do stretch that are (Indian Knot), but i guess the sudden increase in cycling miles might be an issue. Physio Tuesday should give a firm diagnosis though.

Scott - once you are way past you mid 40s occasional stiffness in the groin becomes less of a problem and more of a forlorn hopeimage

• Yes, even women. Grr.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Dean, I'm doing 2/3 core sessions a week at the min. Weighted Russian twists, plank, side plank and also the side plank while doing a running action are all in there. One called dead bug is a good one too. That's where you lie on your back and extend opposing armed and legs. Normally do 3 circuits of the exercises.

I've never been to bad strength wise as I used to do press ups, lift weights (probably badly) and have quite a physical job.
  • I have done the opposite to the dead bug Matt - but same hand / same leg at same time extended without swaying - hard.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Yes, even women. Grr.

I can just imagine the scene, SG takes a young lady out for the evening, and over a candlelit dinner with personal musicians playing by their table, he gazes into her eyes and says, "Look here son, United are playing away at...".image

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Miss a footy game for a date ric? No chance.

Having said that, in bottling wycombes game today. Morecambe away is a little too far.

6miler and local fa cup game is a better bet
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

When I was a very keen (never obsessive) angler, I read an interview with the top man of the day. And he was asked why for five years he didn't go fishing.

He answered, "I discovered girls, and I don't care what anyone says, they're better than fishing".

Good enough. 

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

footy is more important than sex? You would have to be pretty bad at chatting up girls to think that.

The main reason I stopped athletics 20+ yrs ago and started playing hockey was I soon realised that racing 800m then staying in sober & recovering had significantly less chance of lady sex action than playing hockey, scoring a goal and going straight to the bar.  And in your teens/twenties is there anything more important than that?

On your death bed I doubt you recall a 3rd round FA cup away leg at burton Albion.  Or a particularly good 15m lsr done in 6.45 pace. But you might remember a drink fuelled game of strip poker with some ladies at uni that got out of hand. image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dean, I always had my mind on the bigger picture as regards women. All my activities were but interludes between the possibility of meeting them.

The fact that I attained a fair level of success with those activities shows my relative lack of success in the other areaimage.

Had to scrub on my XC race. Developed an infection Friday morning which gives me yet another reason to stop moving. I'm lazy soimage.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Dean, I would definitely remember the game of strip poker that got out of hand, had anything like that ever happened to me. Where did you study, the University of Penthouse Readers' Letters?
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i wish , it was the uni of double entendres. I remember 1 girl who misplaced her drink,  so I gave her one.   Phnaar! image

*apologies

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Talking about kinky bastards, IronCat will be along shortly to talk about his parkrun in a wetsuit.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

????

Your dead right though Dean - unless you're an aspiring Olympian or something of course image

Did a 5.6M xc this morning. All went well - first run I've enjoyed for ages! Slight pain right at the end and bit of tightness afterwards. Won't get too excited, as I've been hear before but fingers crossed I've turned a corner....