Windermere Marathon

Looking at running this. Not been a brill runner for the last six months (2 -3 miles reg) but Windemere excites me. Is it a doable one for beginners . .who are slow . .? Any recommendations on training runs? What did people think of Windermere? I would welcome any advice

Comments

• There's a 6 and a half hour time limit on it - so you can't not train for it.

The route isn't flat either so it's not the easiest - but if you want a challenge...

Your three mile runs won't get you very far though - get some training in.
  • Haven't run the WM, but know the route, and as marathons go, it's got to be one of the more difficult - locals would describe it as "undulating", which means if you're not running uphill, you're running downhill. Having said that, the scenery is fantastic.

To state the blindingly obvious, going from 2-3 miles to 26.2 miles will take some work!

• Thanks Cougie and Rodeoflip. Much appreciated, I did the London marathon in April (v slowly) and loved it, but lost my mojo a little since then hence the 2-3 miles average. Also trained a lot on flat beforehand. I did Coniston 14 and that was my hardest half, loved it but yes . .the hills. I am not going to enter yet, just see how  / if I can up the miles. Thanks again for fab, straight - down -the -line advice image XX

• ShivaShiva ✭✭✭

i'm thinking about this as a comeback race, first one since 2012.  I haven't done too much more than 6 miles 2-3 times a week in the last 2 years, but I have transitioned to fell running, so I reckon it'll be doable by May.  What was your running like prior to the last 6 months?

• I did it this year - great event and would urge you to do.  Very scenic & a lovely feel to it with th 10in10ers and smaller field size.  BUT, the course is as flagged above - pretty undulating (my GPS data shows c1800ft of total ascent) so you will need to do some hill training and obviously up the mileage........

• Thanks Shiva - my running was a bit inconsistent. I have done a few halfs before. Cooks thanks,it does sound lovely. I am going to do some consistant training, I've entered a few halfs which are more challenging so I am going to make a judgement nearer the time. Does anyone know if it sells out? Thanks again x

• Go for it! It's well organised, good atmosphere in all the villages and amazing scenery. Yes it's challenging, but you've got 6 months to get ready, just make sure you do a lot of your training on hills !

• Undulating, there's not a yard of flat on it. Great race, give it a go.

• Thanks too McHilly and "-wheels. It does sound like a special marathon. Got a few challenging halfs so can decide in March image xx

• I'm in. First ever marathon, was due to enter this year but injuries got the better of me. Hopefully will make it to the start line in 2015.

There are a couple of decent videos of the race on Youtube which will give you an idea of the course.

• I did this in 2013 and it was my first ever marathon. it was terrific but it is hilly and more experienced marathoners would probably say it's not an ideal first time event because it is hilly and thus challenging. That said if you commit to a proper training plan and focus on getting round as opposed to a particular finish time I am sure you would enjoy it. I absolutely loved it and it's a stunning course with terrific supporters. Go for it. You won't regret it????

• Thanks Thfc, Have been looking up videos image

Thanks greatjogging, it wont be my first. Just waiting to see if I can do it this year x

• Envious plodder, have you entered Windermere? 

Im due to run the coniston 14 Mile race in March which i am told is good preparation in terms of the hills to be faced around windermere.

• Thfc, thanks for the reply. I am not able to do it now as away but would definitely do it at some point. Good luck with Coniston and Windermere x

• I've done this twice, as dearly wanted to enter this again this year but it was not to be but will be coming along on the day as I know a few of the 10 in 10'er this year 

It is a truly beautiful race, so scenic, I got goosebumps at mile 20 when you run down to Bowness on Windermere 

however it is HILLY so do make sure  you train as you may find it hard going and it would be a shame to hate it as it's a really beautiful  marathon

There is a wicked hill at mile 7 that seems to go on and on and on, last year they had a bagpipe player and it was great as you could hear it in the distance and it really helped ( it wasn't there the year before or the year before that ) 

The other really bad hill ( lots of little hills all the way round ) is at mile 21, known as Ice cream mountain as there is an icecream van at the top of it ( yes I've took some money and bought an icecream too ) 

Remember as you come over the little footbridge heading back to Brathay ( a little hill to finish ) to tickle the otters belly on the left after the footbridge for good luck

The run back into the grounds of Brathay after climing that last hill is fabulous and a really good atmopshere

Make sure you stay around for the presentation of the all the 10 in 10ers after, you meet some truly inspirational people there