Sub 1:50 Half Marathon.

1235»

Comments

• I only managed 1:53:57 at Helsby in January, so going in the wrong direction from my sub 1:50 goal but still 5 mins off my PB for the course so I can't complain too much.  Wilmslow's my next attempt but I've got the Stafford 20 miler next weekend so not sure whether that will help or hinder.  Sorting my orthotics out might be a step in the right direction as well (no pun intended) but I seem to be heading into a minefield with those...aargh!

• But a 5 min PB is brilliant surely!? I think the course must be a big factor...

Good luck with the 20 miler; I think it will help in the long run (oops another pun) image
  • Well done for your recent PBs. I'm also looking to break 1.50. Around 12-18 months ago since I did my 1:55 PB and 4:18 marathon. I'm looking to bring my speed down so ducked out of my usual spring marathon to try and focus on speed. Tim R and Raquel what is your top tip to getting down your speed. I've slightly lost the mojo over the last few months but have a good PB course in c11 weeks to aim for. My long runs are still around 8-10. Could really do more and at a better pace but haven't organised it. 3-4 weeks with a LSR is a good week for me.

Also I have a friend who is a more recent runner and 2:25 last year and be good to hear how you got your time down from that to sub 2. She runs less but does more XT.

It sounds like the tempo run has been a real key. Looking at various plans they don't always add a tempo and an interval run but tend to be LSR, recovery, tempo and easy. 

Also how i look at the training plans or the pace calculator and it shows I wonder if it is showing me the right paces for my goal race time rather than my last PB time.

Thoughts appreciated. Many thanks.

One half mid mid May and another early Oct so I'm looking to stage the speed improvement.

• 3-4 runs a week is good for me. Re-reading my post..

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Long run 13-16 miles @10:00/mi

Intervals 6x1000m @7:20/mi

Tempo: 3 miles @10:00/mi, 4 miles @8:10/mi, 3 miles @10:00/mi

Easy: 6-7 miles @10:00/mi

Reading half yesterday 1:48:36. That's after a 20mile marathon training LSR the week before.
  • Raquel 65Raquel 65 ✭✭✭
    Well done Tim!! Our times are almost the same! I know someone else who did Baldock in 1:53 xx and he got 1: 47 xx at Reading. He's also marathon training.

Hambag, I don't have such a formal plan but I usually run 5 or 6 times a week: a lsr of 12 - 15, a 7 mile run to work, Parkrun every week which I suppose is like a tempo run and then 2 or 3 short (3 mile) runs. For me, doing over 12 miles regularly has definitely helped as it stops me slowing down in the race. It really helped to have someone pacing me as well,
  • I agree with the pacing Raquel, although I also find it helps to have someone chasing or being chased!  There's nothing as good for me as seeing someone ahead I want to catch up with (or someone behind I want to beat)...I seem to respond better to that sort of challenge than trying to stick to a pace.  Not very technical, but it works!  A regular long run also helps with stamina and I'm also in great favour of parkrun as a tempo session.  My local one has a fiendish hill as well (twice) so it's extra challenging and twice as valuable.  I hate it all the way round but it has to be good for me...

Well done at Reading Tim - is it a good half to try?

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    It's a big city race. Lots to be careful of as there are 14,000+ runners.

I only entered to remind me what running in a big race was like as I'm running VMLM in April.

It's a very fast course and great atmosphere but lots of people to wade through and getting tripped on the bends and at water stations is something to watch out for.

Transport was a bit dodgy from he stadium, as was reclaiming baggage, due to huge numbers of people.
  • Thanks for comments. So re-reading I ,think it has taken all a few months to bring down times? I have a HM in May and then in Oct so may be need to take stock in May and aim for the PB in Oct. and possible, from the sound of it, run more. doing longer LSR is fine. It's just time for the extra runs longer than 30/40mins.. But re-reading it also sounds like quality is the name of the game..

Good luck in all your upcoming events.

Hope the London Marathon goes well Tim. Are you aiming for sub 4 now? the London marathon got me into running a few years ago. I luckily bagged a charity place in the new year before I even owned trainers.. it's a great event. If a little hard to get into these days. 

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Yes. Sub 4. Fingers crossed.

You don't have to do the easy run. Even if you do, you probably don't need to do a whole hour. That's just what I'm doing for Marathon training. I do 3 of them a week.

The Tempo is supposed to be 20-25mins at half marathon race pace. So even a mile warm up, mile warm down and 3 at HMP would do.

Intervals, I like the 1000m. Again I'm marathon training but 400m and 800m would be good. 20-25mins at pace is what you're aiming for. So a 2min 800m would be 10reps with 2mins in between. Again 55 mins of running. But maybe just do 6 or 8 reps?

It all depends. I don't like to have a session shorter than an hour. So make up time with easy warm up, cool down.
  • Wilmslow's come and gone but I didn't make the 1:50 - drat!  Got a course PB of 1:54:21 but I think some more concentrated half marathon training is needed before I can reasonably chase my dream.  That and a cold-free head, hail-free weather and maybe someone else's legs to run for me...  Back to marathon training then!

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    London fell apart at halfway. Had to run/walk the second half for a 4:50 finish.

Sunday I ran the Greenway Challenge around Letchworth. Matched my time from last year of 1:55 plus a few seconds. Was hot and hilly. First few miles were pretty much spot on 8:00/mi. The second 10k the heat and hills hit me.

Next race 8th June - St Albans. I think I did 1:50:28 last year. I just need to keep my pace closer to 8:10 at the start. 8:00/mi is too much to ask at the moment.
  • It's been over 18 months since I first posted on this thread, but I've finally done it!  1:49:14 at the Wirral half this morning!  I can't say what the magic formula was as I've hardly trained due to a cold and did Abersoch half last weekend (1:53:26 - tough course), but it was a nice day, the course was blissfully flat and I just told myself to do my best and see what happened.  I think I started a bit too quickly but then that set the pace and although I tailed off at about 9 miles I managed to keep a decent pace up and even did a sprint finish when I saw the clock and realised what might be possible!  Good luck to you all and hope you too can get there in the end - forums like this give so much encouragement xx

• Well Done Auntie N! image

my next attempt will be at Inskip in January...

• Well done Auntie.

This thread has been quiet for a long time. The last 6 months have been a bit poor from me. St Alban's half was well over 2hours.

There's an alternative thread been started.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/sub-50min-10k/sub-1h-50-half-marathon/276113-42.html