Options

Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon 2014

1234568»

Comments

• Options

03:25:40 thanks to the 03:30:00 pacer Paul! 

• Options

Dave I was in-front  by 200 yds of the 4.45 man for about 15 mile then I needed a wee stop and little stretch. At that point I was glad to have dropped him as those two women on the front of the group absolutely did my nut in they never stopped shouting!!

Awesome race already pre-registered for 15.

I agree with everyone what was that hill at 25.5 but a truly awesome finish as I came in with a quite clear field around so I relished the finish.

• Options
    Chri5B & Catcat you both had storming runs!

I thought the hill at 8.6 was nasty as well, but the rest of teh course totally fine, even the out and backs didn't really drag.

Elevationwise I mean.

Thanks Malcs.

I'll be back.
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Hi all, good to see so many people happy with their achievements. The run in from the rise of the last hill was excellent. 

As said above, high diving a vicar was kinda surreal. 

Hopefully get in again next year, if all goes to (P&D) plan I'll have my own GFA.

or just wait a few more years till my age and speed catch up with each other......image

Quads & calf's feeling a little stiff today, especially my right calf. Pleased though that 24 hours down the line it seems to have held up. And stairs not a problem image

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options

well done all

I finished in the kind of time I expected, was pleased to finish although II just wanted to stop moving in those last few miles but kept going. Still people there when I finished and I wasn't lastimage or even that close to being last despite taking more than 6 hours. 

great organisation and brilliant marshals

• Options

My first ever (and last) marathon experience; am relieved it's all over and have worn my finishers t-shirt with pride today! The people of York were a credit to their City, hugely supportive and encouraging all the way. My only negative about the whole experience was the 'poor' warm-up. Firstly in Zone 4 we couldn't hear the instructions nor see anything on a screen. Considering it was a very damp, foggy and cold start to the race, a cheery, fun active warm-up would really have helped! 

• Options
    Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

Went for a sports massage on my legs on the way home from work (only booked it at lunch time).  The young girl had me whimpering nicely as she found all the lumps and bumps.  She did comment my right leg was worse than my left and asked if I'm right handed (which I am) - she thought I possibly drive through harder with my right side which makes sense as my right shoulder hurt a bit on Sunday and I'd need to "windmill" it every few miles.

Worth every penny though as I came down the stairs afterwards at twice the speed I went up.

Have just pre-reg'd for next year - must be mad!

• Options

Hi all,

Firstly, what a great event - thought the organization was excellent, the marshals/volunteers/supporters all top notch, and the medal a fine and fitting memento (nice touch having free engraving too!).  Not sure that being in fog much of the time fully allowed an appreciation of the rural scenery however - not that that is within the organizer's control!  

As for my race, a bit of a mixed bag.  I know that everyone says that you should not set time goals for a first marathon - and now I know why - but it is difficult not to allow mission creep to set in, and I approached the start line set on coming in in just under 5 hours.  The first half of the run was glorious and a lot of fun, however in the end, the pace plan to hit sub 5 was a touch ambitious given my training, and this led to the wheels beginning to fall off quite early doors with me having to walk first time on the uphill drag around miles 15-16.  From there I think I got a bit mentally shot at the idea of having 11 miles more to go in that state (I had anticipated hitting this point around 5 miles to go!) and I think I probably let myself walk a bit too much in the last 10 miles.  Nonetheless, a bit of digging deep later and I have my first marathon down in 5:31:37 and a growing sense of achievement! At 120kg (and dropping) and with only 1 year of running (and growing) behind me, I hope I am in a good place to start taking fair chunks off that time in the coming years, and have certainly been inspired to do so!

One thing I wondered - did anyone else find the relentlessly uphill nature of miles 2-10 tough on the body?  I am aware that it was barely uphill for much of the way (1-2% ish?), but I found that to my surprise the first part of my chain to give out on the day was my calves, which is unusual.  I wondered if this might have to do with them being loaded slightly more given this slight incline?  Happy to deal with the fact that it may just be symptomatic of my training not matching my ambition!

Anyhow, six months to the Connemarathon now - better get training on some proper hills!

Thanks all for the support and help in the run up!

• Options
    hollandasp well done you!

I didn't really notrice uphill anything until 8.6 when I noticed it a lot.
  • Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

I found the first 13 miles trending downwards, there was a bit of an uphill 8 miles I think but then down straight away, the first incline I felt was after the turnaround at Stamford bridge but still not that bad.  At the other out and back going out (miles 16-18) I took it easier expecting an uphill 18-20 but on the way back it didn't seem so bad. I struggled between miles 23 and 25 but overtook a few people uphill (using different muscles and just wanted to finish).  No where near as hilly as Chester though Chester has some nice downhills in the first 15 miles. I enjoyed the coolness (usually hot when running marathons) was shivering afterwards though, delighted with PB of 3:39:17, did first half in 1:46:50, second in 1:52:27, so potential to trim a few mins off in second half if I can hold onto the pace longer next time (was my 7th marathon since Oct 2011 but first Yorkshire marathon ... Loved it), what hills!

• Options
    Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

I see the TV show is 7am this Sunday on Channel 4.  Some photo's are up here

hollandasp - good stuff.  York was only my 2nd marathon, so I'm a long way from being a veteran but I felt quite relaxed on Sunday morning at the start.  I think knowing what is coming is a huge help in being mental prepared and handling the tough bits when your mind wants you to stop.

I only ran my first half marathon in 2009 and that took 02:03:54.  As I previously posted, I lowered my half PB to 01:43:20 this year - so the times will come down not only with being fitter but from knowing your body better and training smarter.

I've taken a lot of confidence from the weekly hill rep' session I was doing up to York.  At it's peak I was doing 20 (or might have been 22 as I lost count!) rep's.  It's not a very long hill with each leg being about 150m (so ~300m per rep) but means I feel comfortable when coming to a hill on a race. 

All the best for the Connemarathon - looks like a great run.

• Options

My second ever marathon and was very pleased to knock 15 minutes off last year and do 4.52.58. Last 5 miles really killed though and I wasn't happy when the 4.45 man overtook me at 22.

No complaints with the organisation and the crowd were brilliant!

• Options

Sounds like most people achieved what they wanted.

My plan was to stay with the 9m/m pacer for as long as possible and see how I felt towards the end.

Cruised around to the 19/20 mile point with some fantastic pacing by the 9m/m pacer lady. Felt great and controlled the urge to go faster. Started to find it tough from 20 and dropped off the pace around the 22 mile marker.

Finished in a time of 4:01:24 which is a 5 min PB. Would have liked to have crept under the 4hr mark but missed a couple of long runs in the last couple of months and found it difficult to get my mid week runs in with my dad in hospital since July.

I think I could have got under 4hrs if I set out a little quicker but I know from experience that it’s a fine line between a good time and hitting the wall

• Options

Great marathon, friendly runners, amazing support from the crowds.

I am used to running marathons in the middle of nowhere, or ultras with a few 100 runners, and no locals even know the event is on, let alone come out to cheer (although some b*****ds do nick the route signs)! I found the cheering and support and people shouting your name quite emotionally overwhelming at times, but it was fantastic for keeping you going over the tough bits image. A real credit to the friendliness of the Yorkshire people.

My 34th marathon / ultra (I don't bother to count them separately image), and after 3x trail 50mile+ ultras this year I wasn't expecting a great deal out of my legs. Happy with a solid first half in 2.08, aiming for a 4.20-30 finish, wheels fell off on the ever so slight subtle incline / hideous long drag (depending on how you were feeling at the time) between 14-17m, and was getting a little chilly. 17-20 was mentally tough seeing the people in front of you, so I just tried not to look!! Stomach cramp hit at 20m, reduced to a run / walk strategy for the last 6m, 4.30 went out the window, 4.45 quickly followed it when I was overtaken by the pacer image, walked up the last hill then at least managed to finish in style and sprint the downhill to a 4.53.

Cannot say I am surprised with my time given I haven't trained specifically for the consistent running required by marathons this year, and in the end was happy to come away with a sub-5 and not too much damage apart from a gypy stomach.

Highly recommend this marathon to anyone. Great for a first one because of all the support and regular water stations.

I saw a young woman suffering at 15m, on her first, saying it was too hard and she never expected it to be this hard. Her friend summed it up well 'it doesn't matter how many marathons you do, they are all hard, and you are doing something most of the population wouldn't even attempt'. Needless to say she finished it image.

• Options

Great running by everyone.

I really enjoyed this marathon, great organisation, brilliant crowds cheering your name, and a PB for me of 3:32 which took me by surprise as was expecting to fade from mile 18 and come in 3:45 or so!  No so much a fan of the hill, but the finishing straight was pretty darn awesome and made up for it and the cramp it caused!

Also want to say that the free engraving of the medal was a lovely touch, and I wish more races did this.  I will do this marathon again, although not next year as I've got the Eden Project marathon penciled in for then.  So see you again in 2016!

• Options
    Got to do some hill training for next year!

Saw myself finish on tele this morning, what a blast.