Bigger/new bike or not?

Just completed my first Duathalon and finished 18th in a field of 75 and I'm hooked! Ive a old bike (retro word was used on the day) but am unsure now what to do. I had tri bars on the bike but just couldnt get comfortable on them so took them off.

My questions based on the picture are is the bike just to small for me hence I wont be able to get aero. I've seen that road bikes have different geometry to tri/TT so would I just be throwing money away upgrading bits rather than just going somewhere to get measured and buy new.

/members/images/739754/Gallery/photo.JPG

Comments

• John that front end looks particularly low... for a road geometry. that said, the rest of the fit doesn't look too bad. it's possible with a pedestalled tri bar set up that the frame is pretty much ideal as a TT frame for you!

I'd suggest going for a bike fit though.

• Thanks, the bike has a bit of sentimntal value to me as 20 years ago my dad raced on it. Was thinking of new wheels so I could up the gears from 6 to maybe 10 speed.

Its blown my mind looking on the web about this, what with forward seatpost, shorter stem or getting a carbon exotic bike. End of the day though its still the legs.

• I reckon with some tribars on it wouldnt be too far off.

I'd probably not bother with the wheels - the cost of compatible gears and wheels is going to be getting close to the cost of a new TT bike.

I think that's a TT bike anyway you're riding ?
  • Apparantly its an italian road bike call a CIOCC, ive never seen another. Your correct 'cougie' in that wheels and gears will set me back a bit, but would think even a entry level TT bike i'd be looking at a thousand. I know theres Ebay but Ive heard some proper scare stories with carbon bikes and people hiding damage with stickers!

• The Ciocc bike is a classic Italian make so whatever you do don't downgrade it to turbo duty and let it rust away.    Agree with Cougs looks like it should fit you with tri bars.

• All I have to add is ...

... Cool image

• Theres a market for old bikes - think they have to be pre 1982 ? And then they can ride them in sportives like this - http://www.eroicabritannia.co.uk/headlines

People pay handsomely for them.

That said - your Ciocc is probably gonna be 95% as fast as a full on TT bike anyway. It all depends how serious you want to be.
  • Your right 'cougie' its how serious I want to take it. Ive only been riding since july, at the duathalon it went as expected with me doing well on both runs (ran for 25 years but struggling stringing training together), and lost 8 places on the bike. The bike is now a replacement for my recovery runs and it seams to be working. As I'll never be as quick as I use to be duathalons seam a good fresh alternative.

The bike I believe to be late 80's and even thuogh it looks nice it the photo I regretably didnt even touch it for close to 18 years.

• I'd keep it as is then - it looks nice. it'd look odd with 21st century kit on it.
  • It looks to me like you have down tube shifters on that?

If so I had my old Raleigh 531 which I did upgrade a bit but could easily change to index gears and the geometry was never going to be quite right for me.

So I bought myself a new carbon road bike that had index gears and the right geometry to fit me and allowed me to have tri bars and the difference is incredible.

My Raleigh is still in services as my winter bike.

• Hi 'Alibear30' your right its the down tube shifters, did you go to a tri/TT specific bike, or roadie?

Think this is my problem in that do I spend the money on maybe tri-bars, better gears, or just take the plunge with something measured and fitted.

Woud it be worthwhile going somewhere to be properly fitted to this bike?

• If you go somewhere good, it shouldn't be a case of being fitted to "a" bike... get a position where you're comfortable and then you're can evaluate how to achieve those coordinates on your bike or a new one if you so desire.

• If I'm reading Sheldon correctly (http://sheldonbrown.com/upgrade.html) I don't think you can get a 10sp cassette/wheel into the frame without bending the frame a little. 

• So your saying I'd get measurements that best suit my build, which I could then use to either adjust my current bike or if it comes to it a new one.

Bit of a weird build being 6ft & 34" inside leg and size 6 feet, and being a old runner very little flexibilty. Think the aero Tony Martin position is a long way away!

Anybody recommend somewhere near Hinckley/cov leicester area?

• Tribars would be a cheap cheap option - you'd need the normal bar fitting though - not oversize - so second hand might be best. That would give you more noticeable benefits than anything else. As for gears - some TT records are set on fixed wheel.
  • Thats put a spanner in the works! 'Ferrous Ferret' is right my rear spacing is 126MM which now stops me from upgrading the wheels/gears to 10 speed. Hadnt even thought that the rear spacing would be a problem. They do say they can bend it out but I dont fancy that much.

• Keep it original - if it wasn't sentimental I'd say sell the bike and if it has some top end campag kit on it sell that separately.   Might be worth finding out what model it is and what is on it  - some stuff from that era like Delta brakes go for a reasonable amount of money.

To be honest for a duathlon going 10 speed is going to make no difference at all - you only need more gears if you are going riding in the Alps or something.   I'd either convert it to drop bars which would make it more useable for every day or else work on getting a decent position on it with tri bars - you could actually do both of course and stick tri bars on drops.  

• It is a rare bike, but until I get the go-ahead for another bike its what I'll be riding.

Its CIOCC with SLX tubing and its got 'designer 84' on the head tube. Everything is campag on it. Its got beautiful engraving around the BB and top of the forks. Done some searches on it but not really come up with much.

• it'll be campag super record is it?

The designer 84 was top of the range 

• /members/images/739754/Gallery/photo_0.JPG

Cant actually see anything that says what level the campag stuff is, heres a pic of brakes with engraving on top of forks.

• They look a bit like campagnolo Chorus Monoplaners 

• Nice bike! I recently rode a 15k circuit on a 1980 raleigh converted to fixed gear and again a few days later on a TT bike with aero helmet and wheels.. nothing scientific but the difference was only a couple of mph. Stick with what you have. More satisfying to cruise past the competition on a retro bike image

• I had a mid 80 Alan - butted alu frame - full campag .. loved it 

It's now joined many a good bike at that bike place in the sky 

• Woah. Dont use that as your winter bike !
  • wish i never sold my raleigh winner now - or maybe not

• I did  go for a bike fit on my Raleigh and we got it to a comfortable road fit, but there was no way I could get it to fit with tribars as the top tube was a bit to long for me. Also like yours I couldn't get 10 speed cassette in it as the rear forks are too narrow. I did outlaw half on it, but was too slow on the bike for the full.

I went for a ladies roadie with tri bars, best fit geometry wise for me and I can still do sportives on it like Ride London. As for the full distance, I'm yet to find out hope to have another go at Barcelona next year.

• The more I look in to this the more I can see a new bike. Think that I'll be able to achieve a better fit and going forward upgrading the old one just isn't worth it. The gap for the wheels really has altered things, the idea of bending it out to suit new wheels is sacrilege. Just got to convince the other half!