Runners World Pace Groups

I have a GFA Place in the 2015 London Marathon. I've run 5 Marathons, including London twice. I did the Yorkshire Marathon a couple of weeks ago just under 3hours. I'd like to be a RW Pacer for 3:45 or Sub 4 hours, but can't find any information on how to become one.

Can anybody tell me how?

Comments

• jonathon....have you any experience of being a pacer at half or your local parkrun.....i believe they usually use a band of people to do it.,......but if you email them i'm sure they will tell you.......if you can't find an email address you can always get their attention by reporting the thread to the moderators

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

I believe they select pacers in November/December but already have a pretty good idea of who will do it based on previous years. They have far more people who want to do it than slots and tend to go back to the experienced runners. A mate has paced a couple of years and hits teh mark (60 seconds under) pretty spot on. Like many things its more about who you know image

I have paced a couple of marathons and its great fun although never been chosen for pacing duties at London so will just be me for London number 7 image

Generally they choose pretty experienced runners who also have soem experience at pacing if possible.

• Hi seren nos, have tried, emailing, tweeting, facebook msg RW, but to no avail.

Keith L, thanks for the info. Am amazed at how little information there is out there about this subject. Have googled, searched running forums and read pacer's blogs, but am non the wiser.

Have never paced a race, but all my marathons apart from the 1st, I've run pretty even, with negative splits.

• some faster runners find it hard to go at a slower pace...I would think that as they have a choice then experience would be a good thing to get....

that said a few years ago I know they used someone in short notice as a pacer couldn't make it...

there is a lot of pressure on the pacers......as they are there they expect you to deliver and are handing the responsibility over to you for what might be a years training.....

• We are a bit of a mix, several RW employees, contributors and "friends" of the magazine.

• I've yet to find anybody better at pacing than me(within my range 3hrs upwards) 

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I did it last year and got in via a combination of personal recommendation and having some pacing experience under my belt.  You could do worse than sign up on this groovy new pacing database thingy to get some experience on your pacing CV. 

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Philomena Cunk wrote (see)

I've yet to find anybody better at pacing than me(within my range 3hrs upwards) 

Pah!!

Oh, "upwards"...

• As in more than 3 hours. I still think people should learn to pace themselves. 

• phil ... that is amazing splits on there.very impressed

our park run each month has pacers for  the whole range of speeds........

Phil.the company of being in a group can help people.and when you are hurting and feeling tired then the group can help you mentally keep going....

• Our parkrun had a range of pacers across 20 mins to 40 mins oneweek. Virtually every minute between paced for. The next week just one 25 minute pacer. The result? Barely any difference. Slightly more PBs ratio to competitors in the week with no pacers. 

• I tried to be paced by philpub but in the end I had to run away from his terrifying shorts.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Great pacing Phil. Looks like you got a bit exited going over Tower Bridge and then calmed down again.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

...*some convoluted gag involving cut of shorts and a negative split...*

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Millsy wrote (see)
    Great pacing Phil. Looks like you got a bit exited going over Tower Bridge and then calmed down again.

Ha!  You mean the exact point that I decided to let Lit do the pacing before realising she was going TOO FAST!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I knew there would be an excuse!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Nigel Rackham V50 Metros.

Absolutely metronomic at pace judgement. Look at most of his London Marathon splits (not the last one).

🙂

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

I've been a RW pacer a few times.  It has come about as I work with RW occasionally and I know some of the personnel involved.  Think I recommended Phil so glad I've got some influence!!

As for the link Phil posted above, I'm part of the team that is putting together this national pacing database.  We've got a dozen big races already that we need pacers for, but will continue to add races across the UK as we grow our number of runners.  Feel free to sign up (and tell all your running friends), and await further instructions.  Zero cost to you and free race entries - what's not to like?!!!

Here's a link to a vid from a recent 17k runner race we paced at a couple of weeks ago.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I also think that with respect to other runners you NEED to have experience in pacing and racing at a set pace. These people are relying on you to get them in at a set pace at what you tell them at the start (e.g. even paced effort, speedy 1st half etc).

If you couldnt prove that through race results and 5k breakdowns I wouldnt consider you. Saying that - beggars cant be choosers so if you're for a more select time they might be interested.

• Yes, you need to have experience in pacing and racing at a set pace. I don't know why everyone has been saying that you don'timage

• A friend of mine turned up out of the blue as the 1hr40mins pacer at the Ealing Half Marathon recently. I guess if you want to be one at London, it's worth getting some experience at a 'lesser' race first - why not ask around the halves and marathons?

• Dan A, I've signed up to the pacing database, but I guess the website is a work in progress? Given my original question about RW pace groups at London Marathon 2015, are you providing any X..... pacers for it? I already have a place?

I have my Garmin Mile Splits from last years Manchester Marathon and this years York Marathon, that aren't effected by tall buildings/underpasses like in London. These demonstrate accurate pacing.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Maybe catch the eye of the organisers by sprinting off at the front with the elite runners. I noticed that the guy who did that in 2013 was a pacer this year.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

JT - yes, a work in progress. A bit chicken & egg with signing up enough pacers to be able to commit to races in all parts of the UK. We'll get an update out shortly to all those who have signed up with news of what races we have already committed to. 

Feel free to PM me and I can give you some more info re your original question.