Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Jools- That's a brilliant time! You must be super happy! Really well done.imageimage

OO - Excellent 10k time's from you and Junior. She obliterated her pb. Sub 40 beckons...!

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Wooooooo hoooooo Jools!!

Superb time and WAVA score from OO too!
  • Yay Joolska! You earned your steins today.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

image JOOLSKA that's nosebleed territory and a monster breakthrough.  Hugest congrats all round, so well done and so hard worked for.

• Haven't posted at all much recently but have been stalking on and off - thought I had to put finger to keyboard to congratulate Jools on that startling time. MONSTER !!

Once you've returned to planet earth - would be fascinated to hear from you what you think has made the biggest contribution to your awesome progress. Beyond lots of years of hard work and dedication that is...

• Joolska - That really is a fabulous time!  Looking forward to the race report.

At the other under of the sub-3:15 thread, I'll be pleased with sub-3:20 in April.
    My planned weekly schedule looks like this:
    Mon - Long track session, 90 min or so, long intervals
    Tue - Threshold run, 9-10 miles with 3 or 4 sub-10K pace
    Wed - Club run, 8 miles at HM pace or a bit slower
    Thu - Rest
    Fri - Short track session, 1 hour, speed & shorter intervals
    Sat - Rest
    Sun - Long run

Feedback appreciated!

• 40 minutes, that plan looks a bit intense and bunched. If you start on Sunday you have a long run, then a track session, then a threshold, then 8 at HMP. That is 4 hard days in a row. On the P&D 55-70 schedule you always get the day after a long run as a rest day and a week is 6 runs: 3 hard and 3 recovery.

The other thing is that if you do that week in, week out, you will get stale. Again P&D has mesocycles so has 4 cycles of about 4 weeks each with the emphasis on different activities so endurance, LT, etc.

• I agree with PMJ, that schedule would cripple me. Do you have any plans to build in different phases?

Jools, 2:52 is a sensational time. We are all very proud of you! image

• Good bit of feedback, thanks.

Yes, it is all a bit hectic and there are nuances in there - Sun long run is am, Mon track is in the evening.  Wed is the safety valve, club run is largely about being sociable and turning up, if tired I will drop down a group or 2.

Also, the overall schedule has cut-back weeks and a few races instead of long runs, so yes - there are mesocylces/phases.

I've looked at P&D schedules and would find them very tough; interesting how different approaches intimidate different runners!

• 40 minutes: P&D have a range of schedules and they don't associate a schedule with a finish time but it is pretty obvious that following the up to 55 rather than the 55 to 70 etc is gong to be easier but will probably deliver a lesser result. P&D is a bit scary to start with but once you get into the swing it flows pretty well. The issue I had was trying to make it fit into my schedule so I didn't want a rest on Monday and I did want a rest day at the weekend, so I had to read the book several times and understand the theory rather than follow the schedules blindly.

I see you are hunting for a VLM GFA for 2016 entry which is what I am thinking of doing as well. I assume you have benefited from the slight easing of GFA criteria but it is still tough in that V50 age group (but not as tough as when it was 41 to 59 in one bracket).

• Big congratulations on your massive PB Jools - proper elite time! Just shows what great training you put in, not just in this campaign but all the others too. These things don't just happen overnight.

Agree with others 40 minutes, that schedule is too intense. 2 hard days back to back is looking for trouble.

Bad day at the office yesterday at the Leicester half. I finished with 1.28.29, which is ok, but I was hoping for 3 - 4 minutes quicker. Started off fine with a fast downhill first mile of 5.54, then settled into a 6.22 pace for the next few miles. Started to feel it a bit at 7 then got to 10 miles in just over 66 minutes. The last 3 miles were painful with a few 7+ minute miles. On reflection I think I judged the early pace wrong, but ultimately I think I needed a consistently higher weekly mileage in training. This was a part experiment as I thought I had been doing too many miles and not enough quality. Roll on the next one with more miles AND quality!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Bit lazy of me, but race report is on the now only occasionally resurrected blog: http://runninghomeforchristmas.wordpress.com/2014/10/27/ich-bin-ein-frankfurter/

The potted summary is: in the back of mind, I thought 4.08s might be a bit of a soft pace for my current shape, but after so many bad marathon experiences over the years I couldn't quite bring myself to admit it.  Come race day, I felt so bloody brilliant I just decided to go for it when the kms were coming out more like 4.05/4.06 a lot of the time.  I had a wibble at 20km and wondered if I'd blown it, but decided to go for it at 30km and had a ball in the final 12km.  2.52.41.  22nd woman (3rd vet 35) and (certainly this morning), 45th on Po10.  Get in.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

lovely report, Jools - from now on, not only will I "trust the  training", but will rely on the "inner caterpillar"  image

once again, many congrats ! 

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Great report Jools, fantastic time and a positive plug for P&D.
    Also, good inspiration for anyone currently on the bench, to keep going and build up through progressive race times.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Jools - Lovely report, it's just bl00dy marvellous!

KR - Sorry to hear that your half didn't go as planned but you seem to know what went wrong which is always good. Keep believing in yourself and train well and you will get your rewards.

• Jools -great report and race image

Kr- onwards and upward image

40 mins- that's way too tough for most on 'ere, 8 miles at half mara pace shouldn't really even be possible wiithout a race number image

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Great read Jools, that really is a stunning time, congratulations.
  • Jools, wow, that was a spectacular effort. Very happy for you. I just read your blog post and the part where you describe feeling so good at the end, passing loads people, being aware of everything around you, spectators zeroing in on your good vibes, and having FUN(!) really resonated with me. And that feeling at the end when you realize what just came together...simply great stuff.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    40 mins, p&d has only 1 to 2 quality sessions a week and only tests out MP about once every 3 to 4 weeks in the long run which is more than enough for me especially with the increased mileage.

I agree with PMJ, the schedules do look a little daunting at first but once you get into them and the endurance improves I reckon it's a manageable plan.

I followed the 70-85 plan, something I wouldn't have dreamed attempting a couple of years ago.

Your plan with all that speed work would break me.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Jools, you are the fastest woman I know (so that's 44 I'm yet to meet). I remember you dropping out of VLM a couple of years ago- who could have believed a couple of years on you were capable of this remarkable performance? My humble congrats...

• Lorenzo and OO, forgot to say well done on the blazing 10M and 10K times, respectively.

40 minutes, +1 to what others have said. Too much quality there. Would break me down into little splinters.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Jools - fantastic! Stunning performance, well done!

Quick update from hotel. 2:58:30 in Dublin Marathon yesterday. No PB but happy with B target of sub 3. New tougher course and strong winds didn't help but just didn't have it in the legs from early on. I was overtaken by the 3 hour pacers at 20 and had to dig deep to get back past them over the last 10k. 249/12266 finishers. Guinness hangoverimage

• Just popping back in to say AMAZING performance Jools! But also I thought you could do 2:52 after that half PB the other week and you did...

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Badbark, that's another great result from the weekend- looking forward to the gory details..

• This really is a great thread, lots of informed feedback and lots of great achievements.

On which topic - Jools - image

3K track race last night in 11:21 which was surprisingly good for me, although I'm not sure it will be that much use over 26.2!

Regarding the draft schedule, it is more or less what I do now with the exception of the long intervals on Mondays and less distance in the long runs.  The easiest adaption I can make is to tone down the intensity of Wed; on reflection I'll look at HMP plus 30-60 seconds.

Back on the schedule, 3-3-3 threshold run this afternoon.

GFA targets - Yes, they are easier now - I only need 3:45 for London 2017!  3:20 for London 2016 should also be achievable...

• Odd spell of running for me. I did Cabbage Patch 10 miles 9 days ago which was a planned hard race and I was happy with that. Went to New York and got a bit carried away in Central Park on the Monday after so did 10 at 7:30 which isn't fast but was not a recovery run, and then I knew I was out for a few days with long haul flights so backed it up with a couple more runs that also weren't recovery runs. Two days off on Thursday and Friday (but not rest, one all day flight and one decorating) and then parkrun which I did in 20 minutes (so 6:25 pace) and then a club champs run on Sunday which was almost 9 miles at 6:28 pace off a suicidal start (this was a dead rubber for me so I had to follow the leaders in the hope of a win and I paid for it with a 3rd overall when I should have had a chance at 2nd).

So really no surprise: a hard race and then no real recovery and a few more hard runs and 22 miles at race pace in 8 days and yesterday and today my legs feel heavy and slow. Need to get it into my mind to accept a cutback week (I am off to Cambridge for several fancy dinners at the weekend) and then come back strong for a 10k in November.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Badbark - sounds like an excellent race and another sub-3 bagged!

Do you think that recovery is as much of a vital ingredient as the training itself, especially as one gets older, PMJ?  I think I overlooked that the cell repair is when the real gains are made when I was younger and it is only since my achilles injury two years ago that I have learned that this is the case for me.  The lovely Scott Jurek did tell me that injuries are our best teachers and he was right. I suppose he must know a thing or two.

• Great achievement Badbark in Dublin

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I like the idea of recovery but rarely seem to take any. You also have to sieze your moments when you have a busy schedule. So when I get a quiet spot and I'm not travelling, it's good to grab a few quality sessions while I have the chance. I'm up to 15 miles this week, 2 sessions yesterday, one at lunchtime today. Felt surprisingly fresh image