Sub 3h15

Comments

• I definitely think that as I get older I have to concentrate more on recovery and on differentiation. I did a long spell this summer of 40 odd mile weeks which were basically 6 similar runs. It was only when I went back to a more structured plan with long runs, tempo etc and then recovery days between that the form came back. I used to be able to do pretty much what I wanted and things worked out but now I have to think a bit more. The biggest thing may be accepting that fast miles have moved form 6 minute miles to 6:30 and so what used to be 7:30 recovery runs were at fast + 90 seconds so they now need to be 8:00.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes training pace has dropped for me too PMJ. I rarely get below 7 m/miles unless I'm on the track- which is rare these days.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Badbark - 2:58 is a very nice time. Great application to the cause over the final 10k.

PMJ - That's an impressive set of hard runs and races and an interesting debate about recovery. It's definitely the curse of the vet runner. I'm firmly in the camp that age is just a number, but my recent injury troubles were most certainly caused by training/racing and acting as if I was in my 20s rather than my 50s! I can still hold my own against my sons (21 and 26), but the main difference is that they can repeat it the next day - and I can't!

2.5 miles at 1 min walking, 2 mins easy running, this morning followed by PJ circuit. Knee just holding together.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

badbark - great effort there to retake the pacing group after it went by you  . . . . .

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - Plus1 for raising the topic of recovery. It's an essential part of running and although I think about it often I very rarely put it into practice. After a 5 week progressive build up of mileage and experimenting with different types of training runs I took a whole weekend off and that was unplanned. Back to it yesterday with a 5k lunch run @ 7:10 pace and it felt fairly easy. My legs must have needed the break. Today I ran 5k on beach in glorious sunshine @ an easy 7:40 pace. Tonight was a club session down at the harbour. It was a 1.5 mile out and back loop which consisted of 10 mins steady 6:40 pace and then 4 x 4 mins with 2 mins recovery jog. Pleased to have a faster runner with me and we lead the group and the 4 min reps came out at 6:15 average with the last one being the quickest at 6:10. I have a 10k race this Sunday and not confident of sub 40 but I'll give it a go.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done, Badbark. Great to add another sub 3 to the collection in what has been a successful year for you.
  • marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Well done Badbark, and Joolska, WOW!

Legs didn't want to know about 20K slow tonight.  No excuses.. they've had an easy week.  Humph.

Yes GM you'd better go for the sub 40!

• GM - I reckon that I'm in 40:xx form for 10K, but I'd struggle to stay with you on that session you've just described.
    Therefore I reckon you're in with a good chance of sub-40, providing you get that recovery time in...

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

40 mins - If I do, I am going to change my thread name to 39mins!image

Marrows - Cheers for the encouragement!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Bit quiet on here today!

Lovely 5k easy recovery lunch run today at 7:48 pace. Legs felt suprisingly good after last night's sesh.image

• Gerard- finding a bit of form good luck with the 10k.image

PMJ- 6-30 milling is still ok , none of us getting any younger !

00-51- still banging out fast parkruns most weeks though image

Badbark- nice mara time heard the course was harder and a bit windy so all good.

Fishy- progress at least.

Up at Gul 0 clock for 6 miles , well someone has to now he's on holiday image

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Another Badbark cracker...so much good running by many lately.

Interesting but slightly hair raising run here - been working on and off in Khartoum for a while but have never run outside (hence the dreadful gym). However tonight I ventured out with a lad from the UN who is training for the Khartoum 10k - down to the Blue Nile, across the bridge, along some main roads, etc etc, racked up10m which is good going in the heat, appalling pollution, homicidal traffic, plus there are guns galore (even got a tank outside the office) & after dark you could get seriously injured falling into open drains, giant potholes etc.  Got back in one piece for a training run I won't forget in a hurry anyway. Another mud brick in the wall

• Belated official congrats to Jools - super super stuff and so well deserved.

Great running from you too Badbark - another sub 3 to add to the collection.

Poacher - pah! Have you ever tried running in the Wandsworth Bridge / Clapham Junction area during rush hour? At least there weren't any trombones.

Pre-marathon week for me: fartlek on Monday, mini-tempo (time constraint) yesterday and a couple of miles each way commuting run today. Needed the running to stay sane after a combined total of 20 hours worth of budget meetings so far this week. image

Gearing up for the weekend with a shot of concentrated beetroot juice each morning. 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

I'd rather brave the guys outside with the massive machine guns on the back of their pickups than do 20 hrs of budget meetings....image

Good luck with the mara preparations - don't overdo the red stuff image

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - beetroot juice. Nice. Hope your week continues to go well. 

GM - great ambition with your target time. Good luck. 

Leslie - thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to be patient!

Poacher - risky running! Slightly more entertainment in my gym tonight. 3 grizzly old timers (not that I'm any spring chicken) all with grey mohauks, in a row on treadmills, walking at about 3 mph grumbling about quality of music through the speakers. I had to agree with them!

45 mins spin. 45 mins machine workout was pretty satisfying

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Leslie - Thanks, not sure if I am there yet but trying to get there......

Poacher - You should write a book about your running adventures!

Fishy1 - Nice workout and thanks!

I just checked my training diary and realised that Sunday's 10k is my 4th anniversary of running or racing to be precise. Pretty boring story, but a 36 year old decided to try running in Sep 10 and found it incredibly difficult to start with. Admittedly I was about 8kg heavier than I am now but I ran my first ever road race, a 10k, November 2010 in 45 mins and it was horrible! Fast forward a year later and I ran 43 mins for 10k which at the time seemed to be a breakthrough for me. 2 months later I ran 19:31 for my 1st ever 5k, next month I ran 40:30 for a 10k. Ever since then in spite of lowering my 5k time to 18:46, half to 1:29. marathon I won't go there, but I have never officially broken 40 although I have run 38, 39 but all on slightly short courses. This course is pretty bang on distance wise and now that I'm 40 and that's my 4th anniversary surely I can do it.....or will it be another chapter in my book about the man who could not break 40 even at 40! Good time hopefully to beat my age.image

• GM - I'd be delighted if you became 39 minutes!
    Do you live anywhere near Devon?  I'm organising a very flat 10K in January if that's of interest...

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

40 mins - Thanks for the offer. I live in Jersey. Races here are a bit random and not many 10k's but it's improving.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Jools - wow, just wow! Amazing time, and a considerable chunk off your PB. Just reward for some dedicated training - hope you're still grinning from ear to ear!

BB - another very impressive time to add to your list of running achievements this year. Just getting better and better.

Poacher - sounds dodgy to me; a little too much "local colour"! Think I'd be sticking to the treadmill.

Some continued good training and racing among the thread, all eyes on GM for the sub-40 attempt at the weekend!

Nothing like so accomplished here, but a running landmark of sorts. Went out for 2 miles tentative yesterday after the last 4 weeks off to try to resolve the calf/achilles issue that has been plaguing me for nearly 2 months. My longest run since August, and no adverse reaction, so something similar today, and a gradual build up of frequency and distance can begin. image

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

That's encouraging news Abbers!  Ease into it steadily won't you?  Calf and Achilles injuries have a habit of coming back to bite you.  Two steps forwards one step back.... (ignores fact seems more like one step forwards two steps back)

• Great life experience Poacher, running out in those conditions and that kind of environment. Are you tempted to do the 10k with your UN buddy?

How can you tell you are hydrated enough Lorenzo after that daily Beet shot?image

Gerard - keep the faith and trust in the training, I'm sure you can do it. I had my best year running when I was 40 and got a good few PB's. Don't let the age barrier be a mental barrier.

Good you had a pain free run.Slowly  but surely seems the key.

Planning my first run since Sunday's half tonight - nothing too taxing!

• GM - I've got someone coming over from Guernsey for the race!

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

GM - nice symmetry to that target.

Abbers - glad you're off the bench - take it easy

Another test run this morning. 4 miles at 2 min walk, 2 min run. Which works out at about 11 min mile pace. Tried a couple of 1 min walk, 3 min runs, which my knee definitely did not appreciate. 
    PJs served as a light dessert

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

/members/images/297347/Gallery/Jacky.jpg

Will not bore you with a picture of me but this is junior OO reaching her 40:05 10k pb in Lausanne last Sunday.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

40 Mins - Guernsey have historically had the better runners over the years and produced some good runners and there are some good young ones coming through as well. Makes you wonder where Jersey are going wrong, being the larger Island of the two. I know of a few of the Gsy runners by name, makes me wonder who it is. How many entries are you expecting for your race? I'd like to pop over to the UK in the foreseeable future to do some of these races.

Fishy1 - Very patient approach!

Abbers - Nice to see you back running again.

KR - Thanks. TBH I don't worry about the age factor at all. I don't think I have run to best of my ability yet and haven't that many miles on the clock which for me is a positive thing. Still learning though, sure aren't we all? Hope your run went ok?

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - Great pic of Junior and again, that was a smashing effort by you both. She's good! Takes after the OOld man!image

• Just reading back...
    OO - cracking 10k in Lausanne. And congrats to jnr OO on the new PB.
    Fishy - hope the knee is holding up.
    Jools - utterly stunning PB. Thoroughly deserved. Haven't read your report yet, but looking forward to it. That is a mammoth achievement.
    KR - sorry you didn't get the result you were looking for in the Leicester HM.
    Badbark - well done on the sub 3.
    40 mins - nice 3k. Have to agree that schedule looks a bit much.
    GM - good club session. Best of luck with the 10k.
    Leslie - thanks for holding the fortimage
    Poacher - just think what you might have missed in the gym.
    Lorenzo - hope all goes well tomorrow.
    Abbers - that's great news!
    Only one run while I was away. Six progressive laps of the village where we stayed - guessing they were about 3/4 mile as I did the first in 6:44 and last in 4:26. 8 miles this morning with 12x100m strides.

• Gul - welcome back image

Fishy- keep at it you will be back soon

0051- she is a speedy chip of the old block 

For me Yesterday am- 6 mile easy

Pm-6 mile with 3 mile very hard in the middle and it felt it !image

today 6 mile at Gul o clock image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Great pic, OO

Friday often rest day here, but 3 mile "mini-fartlek" done to complete 129 for the month, comprising marathon early on, then recovery running, mainly.

• And... I'm back.

Again.

Finally got hold of my extremely busy life and change of lifestyle and now determined to get back to running some good times.

Good to see some familiar faces and some new ones too. Will fill you in sooner or later on the changes recently and plans going forward, suffice to say it involves a spring marathon.

I find this thread a true motivator so a daily visit for me again is on the cards.

Keep up the good work peeps.