Garmin screens misting up

MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I'm about to return my second FR60 because of the screen misting up in sunlight. I also have an FR110 and that has been doing the same so back it goes too.

Am I alone or are other folk experiencing this as well?

Comments

• I have a Garmin FR110 and thought I noticed some misting up in the sunlight a few days ago. On closer inspection it appears the watch has a slighter darker square on the face where the time is displayed. When bright light shines on this it appears at a glance to be mist but is just the dark shade, i think!

When you look in doors the 'mist' will be gone?

I have worn mine in torential rain and no problems with water ingress.

• A similar thing happened on my cheap seven quid sports watch but never on any of the Garmins that I have used.

Could it be that the seal around the screen has ruptured?

Running Blog

• I've had exactly the same problem over the past few days as well.  I will be returning mine also.

• Thanks guys. Doesn't seem too widespread. Anyway, I took my Fr110 back and exchanged it for a 305 (which is what I should have bought in the first place imho).

The sun was out so I wore the FR60 as a wriswatch ... and it misted up all over, so I was able to show that to the guys in Sweatshop. Waiting for Garmin to get back to me on this, then back it goes too.

Shame, I like the FR60 and reckon its footpod is possibly more accurate than GPS.

• I have a 110 and had the same problem last week. Thought it was me because I had left it in a slightly damp bag of running stuff. It has cleared now but I shall be keeping my eye on it after reading these problems.

Keep us posted on what Garmin say please Muttley.

• If it's any consolation I have a Forerunner 405cx (supposed to be waterproof to 1 metre). Been for a couple of very wet runs (perfectly normal behaviour for a runner) and the screen has a misty condensation circle inside sometimes.

I'm periodically sticking it in a bag of rice and hoping for the bestimage

• Having left mine to dry out it seems fine now but I shall keep my eye on it.
  • Garmin have got back to me and asked if the mist obscures the readout. I answered that yes it does, but I'm more worried about moisture on the inside on the device potentially damaging the electronic doohickery and shortening its life.
  • My 310 did that on my last run but the misting cleared after a few minutes.  Is rather disconcerting.  Am crocked at the mo so haven't had chance to check whether it's still doing it or not.  Hope it's not a problem - think it's outside its warranty and not sure where the receipt is anyway
  • Had mine for over a month. Got soaking on 2 or 3 ocasions and did wet half marathon on Sunday.  All ok so far!

• Never has any issues with my 405 Mutt so can't help out here. The missus have got a shiny new 305 but I can't imagine her running in the rain !
  • After an indifferent experience with the 405CX I was seriously thinking about the 110, but with a fair number of problems reported with that model I'm not gonna shell out for it.

Basically if you can guarantee that you'll never run in the rain or humidity and as long as you don't sweat then the Garmins are perfectly fine. Ludicrous...
  • In all fairness, my 305 performs flawlessly. Waiting for Garmin to get back to me but I reckon I'll take my second FR60 back for a refund whatever they say. Especially since I've discovered that the footpod will work with the 305.
  • My 405 has started to mist up inside the screen when the sun is out. I've had it since Aug 2009 but due to injury it didn't start getting used until Nov 2009. I e-mailed Garmin about the problem and they basically fobbed me off and offered to sell me a replacement reconditioned watch for £80. Said it sounded as though the water seal had gone. I accept that at 13 months old it's out of warranty but I think it's pretty shite to have such an expensive item last only a year. At least I didn't pay for it in the first place (thanks Halfords for c*cking up the transaction!)
  • My 110 slightly mists on a sunny day, but seems to work fine and clears very quickly.
  • I have had my 110 for 2 weeks and it only seems to mist up when the sun is out! Phoned Garmin and was fobbed off and told to put the watch in the airing cupboard. Shall be keeping an eye on it but if it is still happening in a few weeks it will be going back!

• I've had exact same problem with my 110 - seems to happen when there is a temperature difference between indoor & outdoor ambient levels, probably then made worse due to raised body temperature. i.e. when it's cool outside, I get mist in the middle of the watch face making the middle portion of display un-readable.

Initially returned my unit to Amazon where I purchased it from, who replaced it no fuss. But then same issue with replacement watch. I contacted Garmin Support (Quick & helpful) who seemed to recognise this as a know problem (old batch?) & offered to replace / repair watch if I send it back to them. However, this will take up to 10 working days to leave me without a watch, so am returning it yet again to Amazon (who send out the replacement before I have to send faulty unit back, hence no time without a watch.

Hopefully this will be third time lucky, but seems that Garmin certainly have a problem on their hands with this issue.

A properly sealed watch will not mist up regardless of temperature difference. I use a divers watch for Scuba, and that has no problems with condensation. There must be some issue with the seals Garmin use.

Condensation inside the watch means there is moisture in there - clearly moisture & sensitive electronics do not go together & this is something Garmin need to address urgently

• I got a forerunner 110 for Christmas and the first time I wore it the screen misted up so I couldnt read it!! It didnt clear until I got back inside, which basically made it useless. I wore it 2 more times and it did the same again so I took it back to the shop it was bought from.  When I explained the problem the guy at the shop actually tried to tell me that the condensation is normal and that there wasnt a fault!? I insisted on having it replaced with a new one and will see how I go on with this one.  I wore it today and all seems well but if it happens again I will be changing it for another make of running watch. 
  • I got one for xmas and it misted up for a short time on my second run. I will be keeping an eye on it in the coming weeks. What I have noticed is that Sweatshop have dropped the price of them drastically twice in a month. Are they trying to offload them ?
  • I purchased a Forerunner 110 with HRM a couple of weeks ago, and this morning noticed it appeared to have condensation on the inside of the display. This cleared after 30 mins running in the winter sun. I can only think that moist air from the house (with washing hanging etc) has someworked its way in then condensated as I warmed up in the cool air outside.

I agree, for a gizmo with presumably much micro-circuitry, one would think this is not a good thing!

I intend to keep the F110 away from my lounge and bathroom henceforth and see if the problem re-occurs (if it does I'll spend the difference and get the waterproof Tri-version (pity it costs sooo much).

• My Garmin Fenix, which is 11 months old, is now showing a problem with condensation (I presume as I am running in cooler temperatures). Looks like I'll just get it back within warranty. Hope it's sorted / replaced since in all other respects I rate it highly as a watch / GPS accessory.

• My FR110 (now just out of warranty) is starting to die on me. It's always misted up but that's never affected it's performance. Yesterday, after a not too wet run, the watch started "beeping". I noticed there were small bubbles of moisture to the right side of the screen, and now, intermittently, the start/stop and lap/reset buttons don't work but the start/stop function engages quite rapidly on its own. 

I know if I contact Garmin they're going to tell me to send it in for repair, at a cost, and that really sucks! 

I'm going to try leaving it next to the dehumidifier for a few days, and may also try the bag of rice trick. Any other ideas? 

• Yes, got a 110 and it's misted up.  It's over a year old, so I guess there's nothing I can do about it now.

• My FR210 did exactly the same within a couple of months of purchase and caused problems with the back light.

I got it replaced under waranty thankfully but it does seem to be an issue across the whole range of Garmin watches, it would missed up after most runs even if it was adry day.

• Harumph - I noticed my FR410 misting up yesterday too, didn't seem to affect it or last too long...was clear after 9 miles.

Is this a common theme with Garmin in the cooler months? I bought mine in April...

• I've noticed misting all year round, although this is the first time I have seen actual water droplets.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    My FR60 started misting up yesterday. The first time it has been used for more than an hour since it has got cold. Putting it in the airing cupboard overnight seems to help.

I think mine is down to the seal on the back. It is almost impossible to put back accurately when changing the battery.

The moisture also corrodes the switches that do the buttons.

It's out of warranty now so will just save up for something different next time.
  • I have had 2 of these watches and both misted up. Never will use Garmin again.

• Just sent my FR110 back because it mists up,only had it 2 weeks as well!