Sub 3h15

Comments

• Rest day yesterday for me after Sunday's 10k. Club interval session tonight. 5 x 3 mins hard off 60 seconds then 5 x 1 min off 60 seconds recovery. Definitely had the race still in my legs as the 3 min reps came out @ 6:10 average and the 1 mins just under 6mm pace. Muscles felt tight after the 3rd 3 min rep but kept going. Still quite windy out there. Another good session though and glad I did it. A few more of these should see me fit for a 5k in 2 weeks time.

• PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Anyone out there experience at running a marathon at a slower pace then they are capable of?

PMJ - done lots of this, back-to-backs, offroaders, maras as ultra training runs etc etc. IMHO even going 10min slower than PB speed is an easy pace with minimal recovery needed. Likewise, a short 35-40m ultra is simply mara pace + 30-75sec/m without bothering to stop at 26.2.  My fancy dress PB is only 14 min slower than the eyeballs-out PB which suggests that easing off the pace a little turns a race into cakewalk. A chap of your pedigree would almost have to WALK to go as slow as 3.15.

Cheating in an amateur sport? Eh? They need to grow up.

• Sound advice as always TR...

• PMJ - nice 15 miler. I plan to be around the 20 mark too before Christmas.
    KR - how old are your lads? Is it really a rest?! The road is well-lit so no need for a head-torch. The only issue is going up as oncoming traffic reaches the brow and blind me!
    GM - tough club session after the 10k!
    12 miles this morning @ 7:35 m/m. Planned to be a little faster than that, but legs were a bit tired.

• TR wrote (see)

PMJ - if you are saying that you are going to run some long runs in December in preparation for a spring marathon in which you intend to run 3:15, Then I would say either raise the bar to 2:55 or start the 3:15 training 6 weeks before the 3:15 race. Sounds madness to train for so long to run it at training run paces.

My understanding of the way things worked is that muscles take about 3 weeks to grow so if I have a 6 week plan then only the first 3 weeks will count. The plan is long but not intense so I hope the slow twitch fibres develop over the months but I don't tire myself out.

Part of this is just trying to find a suitable plan for 2016. It seems what I did in 2014 was too much and the body rejected it at the end. If I can find a plan and run a marathon and feel easy then it will be a big mental boost.

Gul, got a marathon in mind yet?

• Gul - My 2 boys are 10 and 7 and too young to leave on their own. And yes enjoying the rest, but also twitching to get out again! That was a good paced 12 miler. You look to be holding some good form at the moment. Have you got anything planned?

Like you idea of trying something different PMJ and I'm looking for something different to for training too. I've come to the conclusion that more miles are better, not just for marathon but shorter distances too. All my better half marathon times have all come in the middle/near the end of marathon training. This Autumn for my half marathon I tried to scale back the mileage & runs and go for more quality, but I think it was the endurance that was missing in the end.

• Lovely 7k lunch run with a work colleague down to the beach where I live and back to the office. Really easy run at about 8:40 pace. Thinking of a top up later with another 8k @ easy pace as well.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    PMJ - no idea of the 3 week theory. I know that it only takes a few 20s until the feel comfortable though, and seeing as you wouldnt be running faster over 26m than you would train at I reckkn 6 weeks would be enough. I agree that you peaked too early this time and were running too fast in training a lot, so you might struggle to hold back again anyway. I would have thought that you could run a comfy 2:59 if its comfort you're after. My overriding thought is that if you want to run a strong marathon in 2016 then training to do a strong one in 2015 too would probably help.
  • Gul - you are flying image

PMJ- Most people who set ambitious running targets fail sooner or later ,it's happened a lot on here but they usually get there in the end , don't be getting the slippers out just yet image

Gerard- nice double image

Much needed Rest day today ..

• PMJ - nothing definite. Possibly Shakespeare Raceways or maybe the Boundary Run, but not really happy with either of those.
    KR - for a HM, I found it was worth cutting back the miles for a while (6 weeks?) to focus more on speed, but upping the mileage again afterwards. It's one of the dilemmas I find with marathon training though as I can't really cut back on miles otherwise there won't be enough weeks to fit in the longest runs!
    Leslie - is that a double rest day?!
    5 mile recovery run d&d.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

You are looking sharp at the moment GD!  Quick!  Get thee to a race!

No running scheduled today. I'll just walk the dog.  My recovery plan had me running just 4 easy miles yesterday.  As I was in London inspecting our house (the tenants have made a mess! image) I took the opportunity of doing the Hammersmith/Barnes bridge loop.  I felt really bouncy without any niggles whatsoever.  Maybe I should marathon more regularly. image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Popping in to check up on you all in between the seemingly endless routine of internet job searching, registering with agencies, phone calls, etc.

MsE and Lorenzo - superb maras from you both, well deserved results.

A solid looking 10k from GM too, surely the sub-40 is there for the taking on another day.

Good training and racing from many others; TR, did you run Lordshill at the weekend?

I've managed to do some running! image Not a lot, granted, but 4 x 2 milers last week, and I've done a 2 and 2 x 4 so far this week without any apparent problems, so will keep going with short, easy runs for a bit and gradually increase the mileage.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

good to see Abbers dropping in and easing back into the running - hope the job search comes to fruition . . .

7 easy today here to follow y'dyay's  "combo" - 5 x 800s in park, and some tempo running for a couple of miles, ending up with a 10 mile total. After which I returned to an email from my local leisure centre, marking my recent arrival at Vogit status by offering me a free 7 day trial of their "Over 60 special membership", including "seated aerobics", and something called "Zumba Gold"  . . ..image

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Seated aerobics! image
  • Deep joy.  I'm so glad I looked in here again.  Never mind the great marathons and reports from Moof, Jools, MsE et all, it was worth the visit just to hear about Birch's gym invite.  Seated aerobics indeed.

And how about that Irishman?  From racing in his wife's knickers, to sharing walnuts with innocent bystanders, to representing his country.  What a hoot.

Gul - How about 17 laps of the Cyclopark for the Kent Roadrunner marathon on 30th May?

• Good luck with the HM Gul. You can't beat a bit of extra mileage, what's you average mileage for the HM.

** Straw poll time - what sort of weekly mileage / runs per week do you do for a half marathon?

Do they do any other seated workouts Birch? And what is Zumba Gold, sounds very exclusive!

I hope you held onto the tenants deposit MsE. Good to feel bouncy on your run. Could be a good time to use that and book a shorter race?

Might even get a run in tonight - first since Sunday morning!

• TR wrote (see)
    PMJ - I would have thought that you could run a comfy 2:59 if its comfort you're after. My overriding thought is that if you want to run a strong marathon in 2016 then training to do a strong one in 2015 too would probably help.

Like KR, I think miles do help up to a point, so I could do half a campaign but I actually think putting in a few long runs over winter doesn't do too much hard. The long term plan is to do occasional marathons (so maybe just renew GFA every couple of years) so I need something that works as standalone and not building on two campaigns a year.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Nipped out for a track session at lunchtime. Thought I'd go easy but got it wrong. 12 x 200m is harder than I thought even with 200m walking recoveries (about 2 mins). Was nearly sick on the last 3 reps.  image 
    A mile there and back made for a 5.5 mile session.

Reps were very consistent, quickest was 33 secs, slowest was 36, most were 35. I tried varied techniques on some reps to try and improve the times but I seem to struggle with leg turnover. Can this be improved or at 47 years old should I just forget about it and know that these sessions will still help improve my HM and full mazza times?

I have borrowed a friends Garmin foot-pod thing which tells me on my normal longer distance runs my cadence is 90 per foot and pretty much what I should be aiming for.

Should I bother about quicker shorter distances and just rely on those fast twitch fibres getting tuned regardless?

Just booked myself on a seated aerobics class. It's all the rage you know! image

image It's all about the race, about the race, not training! image

SB

• TRTR ✭✭✭

PMJ - maybe just keep the long runs 16ish athen and build up closer to the time, I'm sure a suitable target will be decided upon nearer the time in a Martin H style !

SB - dont tell anyone, but do 6M with 25min of 30sec effort/30sec easy once a week and job's a good un ! pace it like strides.

Abbers - tough times eh, on teh training and job front. hope they both pick up. I did indeed do Lordshill as a fitness test after ~80M/month through July-Sept and then 120M in Oct. I (think I ) turned my ankle in the offoad run of the 1/2IM and havd only done one double didgit run since, with mostly 5 and 6 milers. Surprised myself with 59:11 (only 2 secs slower than last year), so it goes to prove the value of my turbo trainer and running to feel (not pace) on race day (as i'd have aimed lower).

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Birch - Britain has a rich Olympic pedigree at seated aerobics - cycling, rowing, sailing......

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

TR - that's a top result given limited running in the build up. You on for Gosport as well? No rush on either the job or running fronts. I've dismissed all thoughts of racing again this year, so am now aiming at the Romsey 5 at the end of January, so have plenty of time to get the miles back up gradually, and won't be adding speed work for a bit. Job wise, nearly 11 years at my previous employer buys me a bit of time and some money in the bank! I'd love to get something else lined up though, so (most of) the cash can stay tucked away.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Abbers - hope you get something soon enough to keep the bank account topped up. Im in for gosport too. I'll be amazed if I can go 2 sec slower than last yr in that onw too. Lack of miles might cost me. I'll give it a bash and see what happens.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

haha, yes indeed TR, but this did come under the heading "gentler activities " . . . . .

cracking result btw - pleased to see racing to feel strategy come up trumps

• Gul- no double rests here if I can help it.

Abbers-great news on your comeback.

Tar- the stories on here are better than the results usually !

Tr- 10 in 59 mins cracking time that .image

• Apologies for the flying visit - 15 miles @ 8:07 m/m so not home till 6:40 and just nipped into the bathroom before the rest of the family woke up! I have a feeling it will be a very slooooooooow run tomorrow.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/high-5-energy-gel-energy-gel-plus-20-x-38g-sachet

Good offer on high 5's from discount suppliments (40 gels for £10 & free delivery) 

• Gul Darr wrote (see)

not home till 6:40 and just nipped into the bathroom before the rest of the family woke up!

Gul - it sounds like you are a secret runnerimage

I seem to be the opposite on a Sunday morning and seem to wake everyone up before I leave the house!

10 miles @ 7.55 pace last night and was planning my marathon training in my head as I went alongimage

Good deal on the Gel's OO-51 although I notice they got a Sept 14 date on them. How long do these gels last after their Best Before dates? 40 gels would last me a year I reckon?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes they'll usually last me a year- didn't spot that detail KR. Still with VLM and junior OO taking them I reckon we'll be OK.

7 plod miles today. Hoping for a good blast the parkrun- nice to have a weekend with no serious racing. Who is racing this weekend?

• Got out of bed this morning and the right ankle didn't feel good. Same one I tore ligaments in 6 years ago playing football. Decided it was wise not to risk running on it and turned out to be the correct thing to do as it hurt again earlier this evening. Will see how it feels in the morning.

• Abbers - good to hear you're back running again. Steady as she goes.
    Birch - nice combo session - one your specialitys! As for seated aerobics!
    TAR - that Roadrunner marathon is a bit tameimage How about about the Groundhog - 105.5 laps of a running track in Telford!
    KR - last year my weekly mileage for the GER was 48, 49, 50, 33, 51, 52, 53, 36, 54, 54, 54, 36, 38, 38, 38, 31.75, 28.5, 43, 54, 54, 54, 42, 36.1.
    SB - good set of reps there.
    GM - hope the ankle is OK today. Take care.
    Epic fail this morning. Only 9 miles completed. Let's just say I shouldn't have had that Indian takeaway last night image