Knee pain which came on without warning

Hi Since Tuesday ive experienced a sore knee. As this seemed to come from nowhere and don't recollect it being sore whilst running on Sunday or being knocked I'm a bit flummoxed. I've noticed that I can't straighten my leg as this brings in the pain which is under kneecap on the left side on my right leg. Can walk but am aware it is there. If I walk on my toes it's ok but feel the pain straightaway when walking on heels with toes pointing up. Can you help?

Comments

• sounds like runners knee to me suffered the same thing when i started running. ditched the heavy cushioned running shoes and brought a more light wight flat soled running shoe. had to change my style off running from heel striking to running more on the balls off my feet with short fast strides. never suffered with runners knee since.                hope this is helpful       

• Hi

Thanks for the reply. I already run midfoot. I ran more hills in my last run and wonder if it's due to this. I'm wearing a support bandage currently and keep stretching my quads and hamstrings.
  • Hi!

it's tough to say what the exact issue is, but your body is telling you that something is not quite working correctly in your knee.

Imagine a car. If one of the 4 wheels was out of position that car would have a problem when you drove it, and would eventually develop a 'condition'.

Your body is the same but has 8 wheels - the ankles, knees, hips and shoulders. If the knee 'wheels' or nearby wheels are out of alignment, the knee is not going to work properly and there is going to be extra friction and stress through the joint when you run.

Knee pain is so common among runners and because of that we've wrongly accepted that's it normal and even invented terms like 'runner's knee'. But the truth is we are designed to run pain free but only if our 'wheels' are in alignment and our mechanics are working correctly.

You can try changing shoes or altering your running pattern but that just shifts the stresses to a different part of your body, so initially you might get some relief, but eventually the pain will return or show up somewhere else in the body.

Try these 3 exercises which start the process of getting your ankles, knees and hips into correct alignment and working together as a unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nusxgj6XhY

Take care image

Ameet

• Thanks Ameet

I've just viewed the link and I've started the exercises already.

I normally do my long run tomorrow and got a feeling I'm not going to be able to do it image

Thanks so much for taking the time to write your informative reply.

• Hi. Been to physio today. I have patella tendinitis.
  • I Hv just encountered the same argh !!
  • Hi jo. Had painful massage and ultrasound. Pain is more on left inside of kneecap. I thought patella tendinitis was in front of knee.

Do u get pain walking generally?
  • Sounds more like runners knee than PT. Gentle exercise, very low mileage, ice after every run.

• Hi,

It's great you have a diagnosis. This tells you what the symptom is, but you need to go one step further and ask what's the cause of the symptom? 

Treat the cause and your pain will go away. Treat the symptom and it will keep coming back.

Good luck

Ameet

• What's the difference between runners knee and PT?
  • This article from Kinetic Revolution is quite useful on knee problems:

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/running-knee-injuries/