Sub 3h15

Comments

• Lots of cushioning yet ride well and are amazingly light. 

Just had a run out in them in fact. Brick: 45 min turbo / 15 min @ 7:15mm run

• Oops, looks like I have accidentally entered the Maravan (just the 1 day on the Sunday)image

Got no idea what target to go for, but sub 3.30 sounds like a good idea as endurance is a bit lower than when in full training.

• Hi Fishy, I have looked over the P&D plan and actually follow it's LR schedule (for the 55-70 plan) when filling out my build ups. I think the P&D recovery stuff is actually listed as harder than I would do (don't have the book in front of me, but I think they tend to classify recovery as maybe starting at 75% of maxHR...but will double check for sure). So for me that would be too close to my 80-82% maxHR marathon effort. I tend to take the easy stuff at 70% or event down to 65%. But the pace at low effort differs based on how long you have done that type of training. We see a fair number of people come on to the thread w/out much of a base. For them, to run 70% has them nearly walking. So in that case you take your current 5K fitness and simply add 3 minutes to it. Eventually your HR at that pace will come down to the right zone and you can go from there. So in short, never really do anything slower than 3 minutes off 5K pace. In my last build, my 5K pace was ~6:20 (yes, HADDing doesn't translate into speed for shorter distances...you finish those races knowing you could keep going...can't find the truly fast gear). Anyway, my 70% pace was around 8:20-8:30ish if that helps.

Also, +1 to SJ's comments on the Cliftons. It's like training in racing flats but getting Nimbus-like (I daresay much better in fact) cushioning. I transitioned to these in late July and ran my marathon in them. Now I do most of my running in them and throw in the Nimbus for recovery days.

• Poacher - d'oh! I would have realised if I had read your post properly! Good luck.
    KR - enjoy sunny Cleethorpes!
    15 miles @ 8:46 m/m this morning. Sorry but have to dash. Dog goes home today!

• Kr- Oh well these mistakes happen image

Vtr- sounds like you have it all figured out.

Gul-nice long early run.

6 easy for me this morn at silly o clock image

• Nice early LR Gul

Nice Maravan plan KR

First track session in ages last night - 12 x 400m reps with the legendary Gingerbread Man (the real person, not the affliction) who is looking quite quick. Just realised this weekend's mara is tomorrow, not Sunday - doh! Better find some vaguely clean kit.

Anyone else racing or going to a race this w/e?

• Sportive on Sunday - does that count? 60 mile round trip from Grasmere to Coniston and Cartmel and then back via Hawkshead. 

1 hr bike then swim set today.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yep Brampton to Carlisle on Sunday (10 miles). Had a very heavy week with little running. The rest might do me good but the 5lb I've put on will not image

Which mara Poacher?

• Best of luck Poacher!

Same to you too OO.  Always fancied the Brampton to Carlisle - it looks like a fast course, but I've been injured at this time every single year. What's that all about?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Good luck at Brampton OO. There will be a big turnout from my club.

Hope you find clean kit Poacher! Racecourse will definitely be out for me. Surgery in 3 weeks.

SJ - there is a huge ride here next year as part of the Wooler Wheel cycling events - have you thought about coming over?

http://woolerwheel.com/
  • Good luck OO at the 10 miler.

I'm out for a 10k on Sunday at Brighton. Dead flat and good surface so if the wind plays ball may get a decent time.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Good luck to the weekend racers; PMJ, 00-51, SJ (on the bike!), Poacher (in clean kit)

VTR - thanks for the info on training paces and shoes. 

2.7 jog tonight. Very slow at 11 min/mile & some walking. All ok. 

• Pokes head back in....

Back from hols and hoping to have time to keep up with the thread again! Have I missed anything major?

• That 200k ride looks like a doozy Minni. I'll keep an eye on that one.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    SJ - the route is epic. It's sure to attract some very strong cyclists. On another note, I think I'm going to enter the Loch Lomond OW swim next year. Yikes! I will be looking for lots of advice!
  • Good luck with the weekend races OO, Sloakey, Poacher (which marathon are you doing?) and PMJ.

Planning on a parkrun sandwiched near the end of a 16 miler tomorrow, then it's a league XC race on Sunday.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    SJ - 0.5, 1 or 2 miles. I'd probably go for 1 mile. I think.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Minni, you will start developing scales on you skin at this rate...

Good luck PMJ- I have the same worries about wind direction as it's an A to B route tomorrow so it's all win or all lose.

Think you owe us an update on injuries, training and future race plans Speedy image

Junior OO is also gunning to break 20 mins. at the parkrun today- I'm marshalling to give support.

And don't ask me why I'm awake at 4:30am on a rest day.........

• Leslie - good to see the early runs are still going strong.
    Quite a few racers this weekend - good luck to PoacherOO, PMJ and KR. Not forgetting SJ's sportive.
    Fishy - looking hopeful.
    OO - presumably not for the same reason as me.
    17 miles @ 8:56 m/m d&d, making 66 for the week.

• Poacher- goodluck and hope the legs hold up after speedwork.

00-51- smash that 10 miler tomorra, don't be shite !

Pmj- smash the 10k

Gul- nice 17'er and yes up this morn again for just under 7 after a double yesterday so early morn runs still working ok.image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    OO - nervous for the lass? Hope she gets it.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Best of luck weekend racers!  Here's hoping Junior OO gets her sub-20 (but if not there's always next week!) and that PMJ gets the wind in his favour.  Enjoy the impromptu 26.2 Poacher! Hope the weather behaves for your XC KR. It's been blowing a hoolie around these parts all week. And SJ, don't fall apart will you thrashing your body to bits?

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Battling a lurgy here as I am sure is part of the marathon recovery plan.  And planning races for the next cycle of training as my racing history is so sparse.  I wanted to know what the general feeling is about entering 20 milers these days?  Is it best to do it as a training run? It's quite a long way to race without compromising training for an A race but I wondered if it was worth doing one to get a 20 mile training run banked with some company (and a new time on Power of Ten image)? Or best left out given my injury history? Any thoughts much appreciated. Have a good weekend all.

• MsE If you had a 20 miler planned by then in your training then I would use it as a training run. I know Martin H does this and runs it progressively, stepping up the pace in 5 mile chunks so you are running the last block at MP. Ive heard of people racing 20 milers, but then it affects their marathon time.

16 miles this morning with a parkrun (21.13) after 9 miles.
  • MsE, I'd use it as a training run too. I once ran one 10@7:26mm / 10@6:52mm a week after a 1:22 half when I was in sub 3 shape and was then injured and missed my chance at a decent marathon.  I think it made me fitter and gave me confidence but that isn't much help if you can't toe the start line. I know PMJ races them and gets a benefit from them but if you are not as robust as he is then it adds risk into your campaign.

Speaking of which, my run this morning had me running downhill along a narrow "cliff-side" limestone path on the edge of a 40foot drop in the slippiest trainers ever created (salomon cross max). Cartoon style frantic skidding to avoid a plummet into the trees below. 

Anyway, 3.3 miles done! The comeback continues.....

• Afternoon all. Busy weekend of racing on here. Cool! Not for me though. image

OO - Didn't junior run 40:0x recently for 10k? I hope she smashes it!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

good luck to the racers - don't forget the reports  . . . .
    welcome back, Speedy - where are you at fitness-wise?
    Gul - 66!!  good miles - any racing planned ? 

18.5 here today; a few tomorrow will give me mid 40's for week. 

• MsE - I always do the Ashby 20 5 weeks out from London as 10 slow and 10 @ MP. This only backfired when I did it in awful weather and caught my death of cold that turned into a chest infection and ruled me out of London 2013. 

Touch wood the injury seems to have gone away, so now I'm just plugging away at getting fit. Basically racing myself fit! In the last 2 weeks I have raced the National XC relays, a local league XC, a 5km trail race, a mile on the track, a 10k trail race and an 11.2 mile road race (the last 4 being while I was in Portugal at the Algarve Running Challenge). I'm feeling a bit fitter but there's a way to go yet!

Parkrun this morning as part of a hilly 12.86 mile run. Tomorrow will be a hangover day so had to get it done!

What's this about an impromptu 26.2 Poacher?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Junior OO smashed her pb with a 19.30 parkrun and 1st lady by over a minute. No pressure on me thenimage

The Lakes are calling off soon....