Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Camlo, my older bike was girlie base entry model with 3 front chain rings, loads of choice but never the right one when you need it. I have now progressed to a better big girls bike so it only has 2, hence my having to get the hang of it.

I did my dreadmill session after work and managed to do 3 minutes run and 1 minute walk repeated for 30 mins in total. Progress in the right direction at long last. My ambition of a Xmas 5k is looking a possibility.

• I did my first tri on a girls bike. It was only one small enough for me in the shop.

Forget bike, it's time in saddle you need to worry about.

• I know that Stump, it was an indulgence having done the Ride London this year.
    I have my plans for steadily increasing the distance each week with some cut back weeks along with plenty of new DVDs to ride to on the turbo during the horrid weather of winter.

My aim for next year is to try to take a whole hour off my Outlaw Half time, it is possible by making sure I do not fall off the bike a week before, doing plenty of quality rides and managing to run rather than walk.

My target is now out in the open.

• Day off work tomorrow, going to drop kids at school and get my butt on the bike.... There, thats my target out in the open too....... 

• I was rushing to get to work today...I'd better not say what was in the open....;-)

• Still limping from a coached turbo session on Tuesday evening, no damage done just used muscles that I don't usually. image Swimming last night an yay 1 thing I can do right  is kick as I have very flexible ankles.  Shame it only account for 5% of propulsion.

• Stump wrote (see)

I did my first tri on a girls bike. It was only one small enough for me in the shop.

Forget bike, it's time in saddle you need to worry about.

image I did my first tri on a borrowed girl's bike from anouther pirate. It was Nantwich tri I broke both pedel's going round. image

My target for next year is to get some conistancy going and also have as much fun as possible. image

• steady - well done on the run! And a fab target - I imagine with the extra biking you will be doing in the build up to outlaw, then you will definitely cut your bike time, and you'll probably have better legs to get you round the run/walk too

I have had a bit of a lazy week, feel guilty as I have also eaten far too much. In a way, I just haven't felt like doing much. I did swim last night, and it was the first swim for nearly 2 weeks due to having a cold etc, and gosh did it feel hard! good session though

• Me neither! Things not going quite as planned image Gonna lurk for a while longer! 

• haha, not just me then!! 

well, swimming this morning

• The Lurgi has buggerd off (almost) so going to try for a Z2 run tomorrow image

What's wrong Mrs D???  

• Ive been swimming evetyday on holiday and gone for a run but feel i have un done all the good work by free drink

• Got out on the road bike for the first time since having to replace half the drivetrain to make sure it works. Everything seems fine, working as it should, and only got nearly killed by a twat in a van once!

• DB - Why do drivers slow right down on a wide straight, clear stretch of road then pass you at 30mph practically brushing your arm??? 

BS - Free food and drink is my downfall on hols too. Can't manage portion control so had to enforce a total ban on the puddings last time. Hopefully the swimming has cancelled out the extra Calories? 

Hope you got out today Razor - i did a 30 min bike followed by a 4 mile run with my 7 year old. Was pleased to keep up with him.... 

• Camlo, christmas shopping got in the way of my run today,  image

• Also had a close shave with a driver today - lovely day for cycling though.

so tomorrow will be 3 months from when I started: just a chance for me to share some numbers.

• 61 days not smoking
    • 203 lbs current weight  (218lbs starting weight)
    • 8:23 best swim time
    • 54 minutes best bike time
    • 27 minutes best run time

Targets for next 3 months.

• Eat healthier (december withstanding, i'm only human)
    • Lose more weight (195lbs target)
    • 7 minute swim, 45 minute bike, 25 minute run
  • Rp - the 1st goal i totally agree, the 2nd seems reasonable but the 3rd?? Thats a heck of an improvement for the swim and bike, I would set them a little more reasonable? 

razor - darn shopping! 

• I've not been on the bike properly for a few day's now and it's sending me slightly more loopy than normal. imageimage

Rpitch very well done for the not smoking and nothing wrong with arming high just remember they are target's if you make a inprovement but don't make one of them don't get fed up just re-set the target and keep rocking.

MRs D hope everything is cool. image

• Training starts today for me, had a bit of a long break, seem to have forgotten how to swim and both tyres on me bike are flat, I might treat myself to some new trainers for christmas. Got loads of cross country races and a boxing event coming up, so training out of fear image

• My near miss with the van was coming up to a roundabout. He decided the best possible place to overtake a cyclist is right on the approach to a roundabout, and then proceeded to turn left immediately. Then slowed down and stuck his head out the window to try and work out why I was implying his sex life revolved around the schedule of his right hand

• Nasty close shave DurhamBiker, glad you indicated your thoughts to him.

I had a lovely weekend away in Brum, but no training done.
    Driving home I spotted the sign on the motorway stating 111 miles to London and thinking eek, that is one hell of a long way I am going to have to cycle next summer at the Outlaw. Thank goodness it is laps and not a straight out and back route or my head would struggle to cope.

• Signed up to the clumber duathlon ahead of my first sprint tri in April. The times look fast.
  • steady - don't think about it like that!! 

DB - van driver sounds like an idiot. I don't like roundabouts when I am on a bike

well, back at it this week properly, already done 2 runs and a turbo image

• Well done MC, wibbling is calming down but now thinking about how far my long rides need to be next year, so I can plan things for the diary.

I did my swim this morning but Pilates was cancelled and I ended up helping a neighbour, then showing to Mr Steady what the tree men had done to the garden, so did no exercise at all this evening.

Tomorrow will be turbo time.

• Steady if any good I've used trips to places before for training and it doesn't half focus the mind. If you have a birthday card you need to deliver or what to see friends bepending on the distance and if you ahve time cycling there instead of driveing can be useful. Longest distance I've been is from sheffield to Mold to drop off a birthday card for Souix a good fetch mate of mine.

I'm hopefully going to be planning a few trips to the inlaw in aylsbury this year as training rides soon as I work out how to do it without moterway's. For the distance belief is everything just break it down a little in your head and build it up in the next few month's. It's going to be fun. image 

If your still not sure nearer the time I'm going to be doing a sportive on the same roads as outlaw won't be at the same pace as outlaw but good for a bit of confidence, working out how to feed myself on the bike as well as making sure my bike and bum can still cope with everything. Mathschick's done it in the past as well, the WI bake the cakes for the 100 miler. imagelink

Oh and if you want to at any point your more than welcome round ours if you fancy a long bike or just some training. We have beds and a well stocked fridge. image Same goes for anyone really.

• I am thinking of doing that sportive too image
    have to admit I haven't done the 100miler before but did the 25 miler with a 10 year old child in tow a few years ago on mountain bikes :P Nothing worse than spending a few hours worrying about your child going under a car though....

bit tired today so not done anything, think I am going to do some marking then hibernate for the evening

• Bally-Bally- ✭✭✭

Went out for a 2 hour bike ride this morning - but came home after less than an hour cos my hands were so cold! I definitely took the wrong gloves image. Defrosted myself, got changed and went out again for a slow 40 minute run.

Planning on a 60 mile sportive in March for training purposes - heck of a lot cheaper than a triathlon!

• Thanks for the link Cake, will put that on my possibles list,

Thanks to a defective train giving me a journey of over 2 hours to get home, I did not turbo, but ended up doing some weight training in the form of moving a massive bag of logs into the trailer ready to take to my Dad for his fire. My arms ache already so not sure if I will be able to lift a cup of tea in the morning.

• Finally managed to get out for a run for the first time in over 2 weeks (lurgy)  with my bessy mate Horse, we did 5.5 miles in z2 10:55 min/mile and felt surprisingly good apart from tripping up over a kerb,  image no damage so alls well.  image

I need to get on my bike and get in the pool sooner than later  image