Newbie to the Tri world

Hi Guys

One of my many goals in life is to complete a Half Iron Man...

I am a keen runner and was thinking that the first step would be to enter my first Triathlon. I consider myself a relatively good cyclist and I ran my first Marathon this year in a respectable time of 3.28. However (and the big problem) I haven't swam properly for years!

Am I jumping in the deep end (quite literally) or can I realistically complete a triathlon? Your help would be appreciated and if anyone lives in the Exeter area it would be cool to hear where you train.

Thanks image

Comments

• Let's put it like this - why could you not? Will you put in the training? I'm sure you will, so no reason you can't.

If possible, either get some swim coaching or join a club - good to do if you can anyway because you'll get advice and access to a structured program. Do you have any idea what kind of distance you'd like to do? Open water or pool?
  • Complete a half ? As a dream ? Go big and go full !
  • I have been considering going back to basics and have a few swimming lessons to make sure my technique is good.

Distance wise, I would have to get up to 1.4 miles as this is race distance - this is the part that scares me! It would probably be open water too which makes it even harder.

I think the thought of how difficult it will be is why I want to give it a go.image

• Haha thanks Cougie - yeah I did think that but a full Iron Man is crazy! If I manage to survive a Half then you never know!

• once you learn the technique of swimming then its easy to get distance..If you can do 1.4 miles then its just a case of keep going until you finish.....obviously the better swimmer you are the better overall time you get

• A full is very achievable. Have a gander here - http://www.pirateshipoffools.co.uk
  • Scott, I did a full IM on the back of 10 months training. I started in a similar position to you swim wise but with out any of your running or cycling experience. So i am with cougie ????
  • Thanks Cougie I'll have a look at the link.

Duda the Mutineer - thats an incredible acheivement, maybe I should change my goal and attempt the full IM. I find the thought of training for a full IM rather daunting to say the least, how did you manage to find the time?

• Non swimmer to IM in 9 months, and didn't own a bike when I entered

JFDI
  • Agree fully - I managed to train for IM whilst working full time, running two households and training our two dogs. Many of the pirates have managed to find time to be able to train enough to do an IM, some of them doing IM as their very first triathlon. If you want it enough, you can. The secret is to really really want to do it, so if you do, go for it! And remember, while the swim is indeed important, it's only 2% of the whole race.

Follow the pirate mantra - swim a bit, run a bit, and bike a LOT!

• One of my favourite workouts on my training plan is a bike/run brick of cycle 25km, run 5km,  x 3 .

• IM distance swim is quite a pleasant morning out if you learn to do it and let it be. Granted, it is 152 lengths of a 25M pool, but even if you stop to admire the scenery and wildlife on the way, you should still be round in just over an hour and a half, that's less than half your marathon time...

• Thanks for all the advice guys, having heard what you have to say I think it has to be the full IM! I'll post again when I have a race date image

• I had not swam sincethe age of 10 whe I entered my first oly.I just got int he pool 10 weeks out, and swam 200m of front crawl.  

I added 100-200m a week, and got up to 1.5 k before the race - job done.

Same apporach up to my first 2 ironmans.

My swim was rubbish - I was 60-70% back on the swim, (and was 20% on the bike and run)  1:25 for an IM

Then got lessons.  
    I now swim 1:05 when I swim train, 1:10 when I dont train.  More improtantly, swimming no longer leaves me shattered - ie I am more relaxed / faster but less exhausted.

get some lessons, swim some more, then get some more lessons.  1:1 with a camera are great if you can afford it

Also practice in your wet suite before race day.  - thats important

enjoy!

• Thanks OrangeCannon Kona-5

I'm going to make a real effort in the New Year to work on my swimming and lessons are a must.

Its amazing by just reading a few of the comments how much confidence it gives you to acheive your goals image

• Scott - This time last year I was in a similar position to you.  I had a marathon PB of 3:38 but hadn't swum for years and only done a few miles on a mountain bike.

A running injury last October forced me to start swimming and having found at first I could do no more than a length without stopping.  However by Christmas I was doing 1.5 miles only stopping due to time restraints / boredom!

New years eve I entered the Cotswold 113 (Half Iron distance Tri - v beginner friendly, see the thread on here) but then pretty much at the same time I gave up on swimming to focus on my spring marathons.

In April I purchased my first road bike, and started doing some miles on this and picked up the swimming again.  Then in June completed the 113 in a few minutes over 5 hours.

Personally I'd have been keener to jump straight to Iron distance but Mrs Sunnysider felt it was too early and I've learnt that the most important part of my training is keeping Mrs S and the kids happy so that became the goal for 2015.

So to answer your question - can you do a half iron next year?  Almost certainly that's a yes!

Can you do a full iron next year? I felt I would have been able to do it though in hindsight I'm actually I'm quite pleased I did the half first and then have a new target (Ironman Wales) for 2015.

Good Luck!

• Dave The Iron Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Non swimmer to IM in 9 months, and didn't own a bike when I entered

JFDI

• Bally-Bally- ✭✭✭

JEDI?

Do. Or do not. There is no try image

•  

cougie wrote (see)
    Complete a half ? As a dream ? Go big and go full !

too true, if you're going to be a bear be a grizzly

• I learned to "swim" at the age of 35 after never learning to do so at school.

Entered my first (sprint tri) at 36 which was 17 minutes of torture for 16 lengths (yes, really)

Built up the distance slowly and the same year did my first Half. Wasnt quick (50 minutes IIRC) but as others have said - practice in your wetsuit.

Now swim off 01:00 to 01:05 with training, 01:15 without any.

7 years later I finished a Deca Ironman. So if you want to aim big.. then thats the bar to aim for image

• decadave -  I had to google the distances for a Deca Ironman, very impressive stuff. I'm looking at having a few swimming lessons in the coming months and then a full Ironman is certainly what I'll be going for eventually.

I apologise in advance for sounding stupid, however what do you mean by ''swim off 1:00 to 1:05 with training, 1:15 without any''

• Scott, I find myself inspired to completely skip Olympic and half ironman now, thanks to you!!! I've completed a grand total of one sprint tri, which I loved, so why the hell not?? I have run two marathons, although one was a DNF. I can do biking and running, but have a general question for the group. I live in North Devon, so have plenty sea access, but can you just open water swim anywhere? Or would you train long distance in a pool.
  • Scott, he means if he trains he can do the ironman distance swim between and hour and an hour and 5 mins........

if he doen't bother training it will take him that 10/ 15 mins in the race to complete the swim......

Even with training I can'rt get to 1:15... image

• Steve...best to get some long ditance done openwater if you can as its different to swimming in a pool..

the sea is accessible but be sensible... Have you looked on facebook for openwater swimming groups in your area.....

In south wales we have no lakes or reservoirs that let you swim......so groups meet up and swim in the river, or the sea or the diving quarry..

safety in numbers and meet like minded people.some of the group so triathlons , some long distance swimming no wetsuits and others just social swimming

• I did Outlaw this year, completed the swim in 2.01 after learning the year before, I'm still not very quick but a lot more confident, I pannic a bit in open water but have learned to calm myself as I go usually by singing to myself. The more you do it the easier it gets, and might even get to like it image

• Thanks seren. Will have a look see for fellow nutters from devon
  • come and join the fun here

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/triathlon/pirate-diy-half-im-2015/279074.html

lots of advice on day from some seasoned tri people and a damn good laugh as well

• You can do anything you want to if you set your mind to it. I did my first sprint tri aged 42, swimming breaststroke. Finished my first Ironman distance at the age of 50. Now 65, with a titanium hip replacement,  I am eagerly awaiting this month's tri magazine so I can plan my entries for 2015 - am already entered in a half-IM 7 June and a 6km swim at the end of May.