ASICS Target 26.2 voting 2015: Meet the sub 3.30-ers

After 3,000 applications and 50 who came to Bootcamp, we’re down to our final shortlist in our Spring marathon training project ASICS Target 26.2. For the next week you’ll be able to ask questions to our finalists in each of the categories here in the forum and vote for who you think we should coach for the Paris Marathon next April on the voting pages.

Following the public vote, the final line up will be decided by Runner’s World and ASICS.

This thread is for our sub 3.30 hour category – post your questions to Elin, Tim, David, David and Karen and vote for your favourite here.

Comments

• Hi everyone, its an honour that ASICS and Runners World have put me through to voting stage. But the result is influenced by a public vote. So I NEED YOU!  If you can spare me 2 minutes of your day to vote for me, I promise to share the highs and lows of this epic 120 + day journey to the Paris marathon. Or I’ll just share cake. We all love cake right?  

Last year I lost out in the public vote to Malcolm. You have no choice about how you lose, but you do have a choice about how you come back and prepare to win again. So I followed his journey and am even more hungry for my own opportunity.

Good luck to all my fellow runners, whomever wins I hope they do this category proud. image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Followed is not the word I'd use. He positively stalked me. I've only just dropped the restraining order.

Tim, if I vote for you will you stop parking your car outside my house? image

• Committed is a word I would use then, not followed. Plus I most probably need to be committed. image

• No surprise to see you getting in here first SupermanRuns! 

Having had the pleasure of meeting all of this group at Bootcamp, you're all winners in my eye! image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

He does have super powers Ruffles!

Tough group this. Some real speedsters I've heard. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    So Superman tell us a bit about yourself. Are you comfortable with social media...?image
  • Hello everybody! I'm feeling so so lucky to have got this far. Just getting to bootcamp was such an honour.

I'll share every intimate, well not every intimate detail with you about my journey. It will be so easy for me to share this with you as I love talking about running, not just myself! I'll be sneaking on to the forum as much as I can during the day without my Sergeant catching me! image I'm in the RAF by the way.

I'm also I bit of a fiend on twitter. I'm @gillespied1982 please look me up I'll be posting regularly on there too!

I'll echo Tim's good luck to my competition. We're all very passionate about running and in my opinion all equally deserving. But it's up to you! image

• Minni I am comfortable with social media

If you want to say hi do so on twitter @TimJones15 #ParisNeedsASuperhero

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Gingermagic - great that you ended up with another David eh? That should really confuse the voters, you must be thrilled about that. 

Luckily your forum name makes it pretty clear who you are image

TimDavid - What are your current PBs for marathon and half marathon? And how many marathons have you done?

• HI GUYS!! THE FAMOUS 5image  Although it has to be said that we all worked really hard round that track and all deserved to go through....

I'm a busy working mum, but like all of us here, just love to run. When I got the call I was massively excited, but also a little overwhelmed, I later worked out why.... Since becoming a mum, I had forgotten how it felt to have dreams of my own and to follow them. Paris is now one of those dreams!!

I am new (ish) to social networking (showing my age), but you can follow me on twitter @karenmurdoch3. I will answer any questions you have. I wrote a blog about the bootcamp experience and you can read it here:

karenmurdoch3.wordpress.com/2014/11/30/asics-26-2-paris-marathon-2015-bootcamp-28-11-14/ …

Please vote for meimageimageimage

• My Half PB is 1.54  Marathon 3.51.  Paris will be marathon number 25.  20 years a labour of love since my first at 5hrs10. And my elastic snapped on my shorts at mile1!!

• Yep! Another advantage of being ginger! image Sorry I should of mentioned, It's David Gillespie by the way. image Cheers Malcs.

I'm on 1.37 for the half and 3.40.24 for the marathon. It was the Milton Keynes marathon. I'll be smashing that 1.37 though on my next half I fancy and I still feel like I've got more in me for the marathon. With Asics, runners world and with all the support behind me I know I can get under 3.30.

• Paris would be my 5th marathon and I've also done 2, 50 mile ultras.

• Superman, you would smash it, if your 5k time is now anything to go byimage

• SupermanRuns, given your performance on the track you should be fine.  Clearly that's what did for me in this comp as my mara PB is only 2 mins behind you and my half is 1:41!

• Sadly its not all about 5K speed Karen Ruffles  and it highlights my need area of stamina through to the end. You were a great pacer though Karen image

• I'll be following whoever this thread with great interest as sub 3:30 is my goal for London Marathon this year, and finally achieving my ambition of a Boston Qualifier.  SupermanRuns, great to see you back on here image

So, the 3:30 ers have quite an act to follow - who followed Malcs thread last year? and what are you going to do to make sure its as entertaining an engaging as his was?

• Hi Angela, Boston is also a long term goal of mine. Although I think I it'll be long long term goal with the tough qualifying times. I didn't get a place at London for the 3rd year in a row as well, gutted.

I did follow Malcs thread last year so I know these are big shoes to fill! I can only be as open and honest as possible with you all and share as much as I can and try to have fun with you all. Which I plan to do! image

• I'll be following whoever wins, so make sure you are interesting! This is my first year of caring about times and running marathons, so also the first time I've been interested in following someone doing this. So you don't have to live up to malcs standards as I don't know what they are, lucky you by the sounds of it image 

But... 

Before I vote can you all give me your times, weight, height years running, favourite distance and why, so I can vote for the person closest to me, and can even more personal gain from following you image 

5K:
    10K:
    Half:
    Marathon:

Height:
    Weight:

Years running:
    Number of previous marathons and the times they were run in:
    Fav distance and way:

• Hi, I didn't follow Malcs,last year, heard he was fab tho!...The Running Andy in response to your questions,

My 5k PB is 19.41, 10k PB is 41.30 (both run this year), Half M PB is 1.29.56 (just got it!) at Brighton. Marathon PB is 3.32 at the Sussex Marathon, around the first course in Battle (2011)

I am 5ft 7 and only going to tell you my weight as this is a running forumimage image Its between 9 -9.5 stone depending on how much running/eating I am doing.

I have ran since school and I am nearly 41, so much more than half my life. I have done Beachy Head Marathon x2 times 4.30 and 4.06 also the Rottingdean Marathon which is just as hilly 4.00. Before having kids, I used to do adventure racing over 24 hours- to one 5 day race, so am more of en endurance girl.

Fav distance? I like them all, but prefer half's upwards.

Karen X

• Hi Karen, and congrats on making to this stage! That's some speedy times! When was your most recent marathon, and what time was it?

• Well The Running Andy 5K: 20:07 10K:41.47 Half: 1:34 Marathon:3:51

Height: short Weight:i stay off scales at present. Must way myself. Been running for 20 years, 23 previous marathons ranging from 5:10 to 3:51. Fav Distance, need you ask, marathon although I am currently having an affair with parkrun.

Hi Angela Have you entered Bacchus? After yours and Sarahs write up I have. Cant wait. And to answer your question, how to ensure this thread is as engaging as Malcs that is tough, be as engaging and committed as possible, throw in some 80's power ballads and if I need to shave my head? image

• Karen Think I might be in the wrong thread, your times are far too fast for me. Although something to aspire to... An ultra runner, that's not something for me to aspire to, just down right madimage  

Glad you answered the weight question, wasn't sure how people would take that as it is one of those subjects some people don't like talking about, but I feel is relevant to running, with every extra lbs supposedly costing you seconds per mile.  

One other BIG question for all. Miles or KM for training? 

• The Running Andy wrote (see)

I'll be following whoever wins, so make sure you are interesting! This is my first year of caring about times and running marathons, so also the first time I've been interested in following someone doing this. So you don't have to live up to malcs standards as I don't know what they are, lucky you by the sounds of it image 

But... 

Before I vote can you all give me your times, weight, height years running, favourite distance and why, so I can vote for the person closest to me, and can even more personal gain from following you image 

5K:
    10K:
    Half:
    Marathon:

Height:
    Weight:

Years running:
    Number of previous marathons and the times they were run in:
    Fav distance and way:

Hi Andy,

Right here we go;

5k - 20.26

10k - 43.24

H/M 1.37.05

Marathon - 3.40.24

I'm a bit of a short arse at 170cm and I'm tipping the scales at 70kilos at the moment. I've been running consistently for about 4 years now but I've always ran since I joined the RAF 10 years ago on forced exercise.

I've completed 4 marathons, my first last September and I did that in 4.01 and change. There's no other feeling like finishing a marathon it just doesnt compare to a half or a 10k. I actually get quite choked up towards the finish of a marathon because it means so much. All the work to get you there has culminated in this amazing acheivement of running 26.2 miles.

I've got my watch on kilometres at the moment but I'll chop and change depending on the session.

• I've agreed with you about ultras immediately after finishing or in the tough moments of the race, but within an hour or so I'll be looking for another to do! image

• Congrats to everyone in this group! Best of luck image

• SupermanRuns Your marathon pace seems a bit off the rest of your times, guess you need to be out doing more LSR. Build up some staying power. 

So Gingermagic and Karen Murdoch 3 are both ultra runners, RW must have just been choosing crazy people! 

Gingermagic your half is very very similar to mine, (mines 1:37:06) but my 5 and 10k times are a bit off yours.

In fact it seems a tread with all 3 of you that have replied, your far faster on the short distance than your marathon PB's suggest should be possible. When you did the shorter PBs were you concentrating on them more?

• Hi Ai Lyn. Just back from a muddy XC, trying to get the mud out of my toes in the bathimage The last marathon I ran was the Sussex one in April 2011. Just after that I broke my foot and was out of running for about 18 months. I did the Jog Shop 20 last year, which again is off road and finished that in 2.47. I remember it well as it was a shocking day, hailstones and wind on the South Downs! What about yourself?

• Hi The Running Andy. Yes is the short answer. I have really trained specifically for each PB I have managed to get. Its good to mix it up.image I also love both off road and on road, again, what about yourself?

• The Running Andy My marathon pace dies at 20 miles. I recognise the need for help over this distance, I don't seem to be able to achieve it with my own superhero methods.

How about you what do you prefer?  Oh and miles for LSR, maybe K's for speed work?