RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Errrm, rather you than me O4S!!

A lot of swimming going on here btw image.

Minni: did you hear that Jantastic will include swimming and biking this year? I think that's a great idea although I'm probably not going to sign up as I may have to go for heart surgery image

I've done Halstead, kiwi and loved it even though those undulations seemed like the Rocky Mountains on the second lapimage

Hope you managed to get done running in this weekend Freemers.

Despite another tough working week I somehow managed to get 50 miles in. No idea how. I sort of Forrest Gumped it I guessimage Not quite up to 10 miles in distance but 4 runs of 9 miles and a couple of 5-6 milers got me there. I keep telling myself that someone that runs 50 miles per week can't possibly have a heart problemimage as long as I run mega slow it seems to work quite well.
  • Chick - Excellent mileage for the week and good news on Jantastic including bike and swimming will make it more interesting.

nell - Roddy Frame of Aztec Camera, used to love their music back in the 80s,  did he play any of their hits or just new stuff?

Swimming Club on Friday was a complete nightmare, worst swimming for a long time, won't bore you with the details but Pink had to put up with me ranting for over an hour when we got home, anyway emails back and forth between me and my coach and a good chat with him yesterday before the afternoon session and all OK now.  Well done to Pink she was put in the "big dogs" lane on friday and did very well.

Just under 15  miles this morning at 8:01 avg

• Chick - nice that you are our running, 50 miles is fab mileage. Yeah, kinda strange that I am considering an undulating marathon - considering how much I hate hills! But am kinda going on the theory it will take the pressure off and it doesn't normally sell out, so can enter it nearer to the time and not jinx my knee!

Barry - your swimming must be helping with your fitness, great 15 miles.

O4S - that spin session sounds horrendous!

Needed some inspiration - booked up 2 more races this morning - so the line up is off road 15 miles mid Jan, 20 miles road race start March and Colchester half end of March. If my knee survives that then Halstead will be on image

Limited myself to 7 miles yesterday as that was when the knee started to hurt last week, seemed ok.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Kiwi-sensible to be cautious

Barry-have to laugh at your swimmimg frustration...be patient.Anyway you are still banging out lots of miles whether its by bike running or swimming.

Pink-very impressive

Chick-looks like you are sticking two fingers up at the doctors doing 50 miles but take care...I see the cadiologist on Weds though I expect he will want lots of scans etc

O4S-thats a killer bike spin session and one I doubt I will try for a while

Nell-nice pace even if not 100%

Lazy week last week for me-long break in London-only ran twice total 25 miles and one swim.Need to make up for it this week.Just over 10 today.

• Hi o4s, Nice bike workout, funny I was in the gym today and looked at all the spinning bikes sitting there in the corner and didn't even think of attempting that session and got on with my resistance bands workout image

Hi Chick, Nice one on the 50 mile week, hoping things start looking up for you..image

Hi Barry, Nice 15 miles, I suppose we need a setback every now and then to give us a kick up the backside image. Yes, Roddy Frame played a good mix of songs from the old High Land, Hard rain days up to the current Seven dials solo album. I must say it was one of his best gigs I have been to, fantastic guitarist! I'm not a nostalgic guy but at some parts it did take me back to being a teenager with no money image

well done on the swimming Pink image

Hi kiwi, sensible running there and setting up some good objectives ?

Hi 2old, A rest is sometimes needed, even if you call 25 miles a lazy week!

I had 10 miles on Saturday ran at 7:10mm average and 5.5miles again 7:10 mm average on Sunday. Pretty windy weekend which made it hard in places. S&C in the gym today and down in London with work Tues/Wed, so not sure if I will get anything in. Will take kit with me in the hope of a run in Hyde Park Wed morning....

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell- London was crazy- hardly room to move so any run will involve a lot of weaving... Just like the start of VLM. Sadly no rest for me there....too much entertainment . 

Tough swim session tonight. ...2k ..described as speed  endurance ...one swim session a week is not enough image

• Moved back up to my normal run group last night image  Suspect 37 miles in the previous 3 days wasn't the best preparation image  BA is second reserve in the club ballot for VLM - popular this year with 14 people going for 5 places!

Can't sleep, been up since 2.30am and feeling grumpy.............Perhaps an early morning run is called for image

So today we have Minni under the knife, I have a 30 min spirometry test to check my lung function and see if they can find out what is causing the breathlessness, while Chick waits for news on a heart condition

• Anyone else want to throw their hat in the ring?????

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S- I see a cardiologist tomorrow....does that count?....not that I wear a hat . only 37 miles? And in 3 days....I remember not so long ago you would do more in a day. image

Minni- best wishes. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Surgery planned for about 1:30pm. See you at the other side. image
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- hope all is well 

O4S- shouldn't have joked..I learnt today that my NHS 24 hour ECG showed my heart rate had slowed down significantly so I'm now to see another cardiologist. Still I can ask my private guy about it tomorrow. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I've survived! Tear repaired and some bone trimmed. No pain at the moment as I'm still numb. Feeling great though. Thanks for the good wishes.
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- recovery run tomorrow?image

• Minni - Good news and speedy recovery, did you get the mile swim done?

nell - good consistent pace on your runs.

2old - See you are getting some good mileage done, have you got a Garmin that logs your swimming or is there some other way of recording the swim training.

Kiwi - Good to have races planned, lets hope your knee behaves.

An hour in the pool this afternoon followed by 5 wet and windy miles slow. I have found a new toy to play with, anyone else on Strava?

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry-I had my swim watch for Xmas two years ago but never felt the need for it .its very basic but at least counts the lengths which I mix up easily . Can't recall the make at the mo.Rather you than me running out there. Mine are all on the TM . Doesn't Strava sync with Garmin Connect? It won't be long before there is one universal sports portal. 

• Minni - pleased to hear your op went well, wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • Minni - glad it went well.  Now do what the fizz tells you for the rehab image

2old - hope you get some answers from the doc.

kiwi - great to get some races booked image

Limited myself to 12 miles on Sunday seeing as I hadn't run all week. My legs felt really fresh, fancy that!  Yesterday was a tempo session on the TM - 6 miles progressive pace from 7.40s down to 6.30 for the last mile. Hoping to get out for a MLR today of around 10 miles (I am working at home so should be able to get away from my desk!).

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    O4S - how did you get on yesterday?

Chick - have they told you to carry on running? We always think we have strong hearts, being runners. Hopefully they can sort you out.

Freemers - you're still speedy at those Tempos

Barry - yes I did the mile swim! I was so pleased - It took me an hour though!! A bit like my running, it took me about 30 lengths to warm up and I felt stronger and easier as I progressed. I'm getting a 910x for Christmas and it covers swim/bike run. Can't wait to use it.

Kiwi - good to see you getting races booked in.

2old - any further results back from you?

Nell - what races have you got planned up your way?

In a bit more pain today, which was to be expected I think, but managing well on the crutches and being well looked after.
  • Minni - forgot to ring for the results todayimage but the nurse didn't think they looked particularly abnormal. They were checking to see if it might be exercise induced asthma (BA has it). If not, next step is a consultant to run some more scientific tests. Glad to hear they are looking after you well.

The last time I swam a mile (breast stroke) it took me an hour - an hour of my life I can never get back! Thought I might try drowning myself to relieve the boredom towards the end.......

• Couldn't quite fit in the 10 but got 8.5 miles done earlier.  A bit breezy but nothing like they've had in the north west.  How is the weather 2old?

Minni - a bit of pain must be expected I guess.  Hopefully keeping mobile will help.

• Minni - Very well done on the mile swim, I'm the same the swimming seems easier the longer I am in the pool.  Rest well and come back strong. I'm tempted by a multi sports watch including the swim function.

2old - Yes as soon as you register with Strava and put in your Garmin user name all training is automatically loaded to Strava. 

An hour in the pool this afternoon, had it to myself for the first 20 mins or so then 50 mins on the indoor bike when I got home.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Free-it's wild weather here. TM running compulsory ! Well done getting out there

O4S- Think I strained my hamstring on Monday doing breastroke so don't knock the mile . I'm sure if you'd put cake at each end you'd have gone on for ever 

Minni -hope it's less painful today. Consultant is going to review the 24ECG and let me know if I need further testing- MRI and tilt table were mentioned .

Barry- looks like your connecting to the world. An empty pool is a bit like open water swimming without the washing machine and weed. Good double session. Consistent swimming too. I'm feeling a bit guilty neglecting the pool 

too cold and windy to run outside so did 28k on the TM at av 7.56 mm . Mo tweeted yesterday that he'd run 20 miles on the TM yesterday so if it's good enough for him etc etc. Bet he was nearer 5mm than 5min km. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I love having the pool to myself especially in the evenings.

Yep 20 miles on the TM wouldn't take Mo very long.

Morphine is a great medicine. Slept most of the day! image
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Minni- morphine is a step or two up from wine ????
  • 2old - Good tready mileage. You never know I might even join the worlds of FB and Twitter.

Minni - Any estimate when you will be back training?

10 windy miles at 7:45 avg done this afternoon.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    No idea at the moment Barry. Initially they said 4-6 months before I'd be back into training but that was depending on what was done. I'm still not entirely sure what's been done but should know more in a couple of weeks.
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- FB- not a chance I'm past it. I like twitter. Brave 10 in the wind. 

Minni- can you still see two kegs ...  Oops legs? image see you at the Green start. 

• Glad the op went ok, Minni. I'd love some morphine as work stress means I get very little sleep image

Fancy that your heart had slowed down while mine has sped up, 2old. You're a fast runner with a slow heartbeat and I'm a slow runner with a fast heartbeatimage both are not normal.

Hope your lungs are ok, O4S.

Managed only 3 runs this week partly due to work and partly due to weather (rain and storm) but one of them was an 11 miler. Hoping for another longish run tomorrow image
  • Good news that the op went well for you Minni image & congrats on the mile swim

2old nice running on the TM. Personally I don't get on very well with them as I keep feeling like i'm going to fall off.

Chick Good running there.

Went running last weekend & ran 6 miles. Didn't swim until Thursday this week as early morning training had been cancelled due to our swim club Christmas party the evening before. I was away for two days on a course the middle of the week which had a fab pool but sadly never got the chance to use it as I opted to stay with my parents.

First run of the week was yesterday when I ran four miles. Swim training was good last night but got in my old lane & coach moved me out into whichever lane I fancied.

Planning to run tomorrow morning and have decided to stay longer at work next week to get some lunchtime runs in. Before I know it Wokingham will be here & AA & Barry could be waiting all day for me to finish.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Chick - I don't think the stress will be good for your heart. Work is overrated. Latke care.

Pink - I'm not mad about the TM either but sometimes it a means to and an end. When's Wokingham?