Options

VMLM 2015 - any first timers out there? Or Beginner runners?

Dear All,

I have just registered today so this is my first post! I am running the London marathon next year for Asthma UK and it is my first marathon.  I am very excited and nervous.

I just thought it was good to catch up with other first timers like me!? Or even beginner runners to give each other a boostimage ?  

A bit about me:

27, Happily married to my wonderful husband, work within the legal sector (hoping to be a qualified lawyer soon) and started running 2 years ago from no fitness base whatsoever. Completed two half marathons and a 10 mile run in Nice and now ready for the next big challenge!

I have no time in mind, I just want to be injury free and enjoy it as much as  possible! I am not a fast runner but for all those that say they are not "runners" as they think they are too slow, if you are lifting your feet off the ground and raising your heart rate you are runner! image

I am using hal higdon novice 1 plan - anyone else?

Hope to hear from you all soon!

Comments

• Options
    Good luck, was nearly tempted to try to sign up via them when they sent the email out a few days ago image just a little to stressful trying to raise the money image

Hope your trainjng goes well. Having a plan and a decent base to begin with makes it sound like you are already ahead of the curve image keep us updated.
  • Options

Hi, Im running VLM too and also my first full marathon ! image  

• Options

Me too, not even done a half before, but have been building up miles and strength since May 2014. With the fundraising too there is a lot to do!

• Options

VLM 2015 will be my 3rd marathon but first time in London. 

• Options

Great stuff! How are we all feeling about it? Sometimes I find it so hard to get myself motivated to do the long runs - do you have running buddies? I feel as though I could do with one.

I really have to work hard on my mental strength, I find it very easy to suddenly lose form. The last half marathon I did I had a time I wanted to do it and because I put so much pressure on myself, I crumbled badly (and also due to the fact it was very hot, that probably played a big part!)

I have no time in mind for London which is actually quite nice.

• Options

First time doing VLM, very excited!

I "was" a fairly steady Runner competing in regular 10k's and half marathon's but I had an injury around Feb time of this year and haven't run since.

Slowly getting back in to it with low mileage and fairly slow runs last week and this week then week after proper training starts.

• Options

VLM will be my first marathon too.  I started running last year to lose weight (136lbs lost so far) and have done 6 half marathon's this year.  I'd love to run sub 4hrs (which according to my HM, 5k & 10k PBs now is theoretically achievable) especially as I hope to drop another 15lbs or so by then as well.  But will be happy with a sub 4:20 (assuming training goes to plan and I stay injury free!).  I'm equally excited & nervous about it all but remember as a kid watching the 1st London Marathon and saying to myself that one day I'd run it - its taken over 30years but come April I'll achieve it image

• Options

Chris, I think taking it slowly is definitely a wise decision, although that being said I ran 8 miles too fast (for me) on Sunday (good or bad thing!?!) Felt very stiff the next day but okay now.  

That's amazing Sam, have you officially started your training plan? I think I started too soon although I have taken into account injury/illness. 

Will be great if we can keep each other updated on this thread - I think emotional support is all part of training image

• Options

I have been running around 13-15miles as my long run for a couple of months now (weekly mileage is averaging around 35 a week) but not yet following any formal plan.  However, I've read a few and my usual week looks very similar anyway (long run, easy run, threshold run, speed or hills plus a day or 2 either rest or cross training).  Most plans 14-16wk plans I've seen I could drop in around week 6.  I have a few short races over the Xmas period so am planning on starting 'properly' in January.

• Options

Just enjoy it, it's an incredible experience!  I did it last year VERY slowly, so going to try and take an hour off my time in 2015. It'll still be slow though! I think I smiled the whole way round. I always wanted to do it but never thought I could. Keep training so you can arrive relaxed and confident and just ready to absorb it all. Maybe it's good to be slow, because then you get more of the whole experience! It's an amazing day - see you all at the start. Not at the finish cos you'll all have gone by the time I get there...

• Options

Good Luck, I am doing my first VLM , have run Brigton Marathon .

• Options

train hard party harder

good luck

• Options

I'm also in for my first ever marathon at VLM 2015. I've participated in mountain marathons but the distances are over two days and there is a fair bit of walking involved so not competitive! I just want to finish the marathon so I'm training using Hal Higdons novice 2 programme which is really helping, the advice in the book is golden. 

My biggest fear is that I will not make it to the finish line as I do not have a PCL in my left knee due to a football injury and not sure if the distance will aggravate it. 

I managed to get in on the ballot on my first try, so thought it was fate that I completed it this year. 

I hope that you all have a great time training and I know that i will be checking in on here for motivation, For added motivation my work is a partner of Macmillan so I've agreed to try and raise £5,000 through business and personal fundraising. I think that is more terrifying than the race itself!

• Options

VLM runner from Northampton anyone want to do some training runs I aiming for 5 hours to 5-30 hours on the day or get together to discuss training etc 

• Options

Hello again everyone! Happy New Year and hope everyone had a lovely Christmas!

My training took a bit of a nose dive over Christmas as I fell ill.  Unfortunately, with asthmatic lungs it was hard to recover image

I had got up to 10 miles, then I was on a "easy" week where I had to do 7 miles as my long run but the day of my long run I realised I was too ill to continue and the whole week of Christmas and some days after I couldn't do anything! Couldn't even eat Christmas dinner!

Got back to training last week and it was like I have never run in my life - it was majorly hard and felt so weak! Managed 8 miles yesterday and I am supposed to do 12 as my long run next week but I think I might do 11 to be on safe side (I have done this distance quite a few times now so hopefully should be ok!)

How about everyone else? I guess the hard work really starts now!

• Options
    Hi,

I potentially have a place in the London marathon.. I have only ever done a 10k race and am registered to do a half at the end of march. The furthest I've gone in training for the half is 9miles. Does anyone think with only 15 weeks left I could train in time?
  • Options

Yes of course, if you train sensibly and commit yourself properly. Look on this site for a simple training plan and see if you feel that you could do it.

• Options

First timer here as well. I've done a couple of half marathons in my time and some 10Ks and 10 milers but never a full marathon. Week 1 of training nearly finished! I'm excited. 

• Options

Thanks Mr Puffy. I'm giving it some serious thought, but need to make my decision soon! I may wimp out and go for one later in the year. I've already downloaded the sub 4.30 plan, which on paper I feel is achievable, but I'm possibly being too optimistic!

• Options
    I guess it depends on your base level of fitness and average weekly mileage atm. To me though 4:30 seems optimistic if you've not yet run a half. I'm hoping for a sub 4:20 which based on my 5k, 10k and HM times should be easily achievable (based on those times the calculators predict I can do 4hrs +/- a couple of mins. As it's my first full I'm setting a target I feel is more realistic. Maybe I'm on the cautious side but I want to finish it and also enjoy it and not race the whole thing.
  • Options

I'm not really worried about a time (although under 5 would be nice). The main reason for downloading the sub 4.30 was I thought I was beyond the 'get me round' plan. My average is around 8-13miles per week, slightly more lately as I've been following a HM plan.

• Options

Hi all, VLM this year will be my first marathon and will have completed 9 halves by April so hopefully ready to step up.

just started the asics 26.2 plan and started the fundraising for the £2.5K target all very daunting at this stage.

good luck to all others taking part