Sub 4 Amy: #asics262

edited February 2017 in Spring Marathon
Bonjour, je m'appelle Amy....and that's about where my French ends, apart from the word 'poubelle', bin, very useful, sticks in my mind because it sounds so great, and the phrase 'j'adore les glaces' which I hope to be able to use on the evening of 12.04.15 in Paris after achieving a sub 4 hour run. Well, welcome to my thread. Over the next 16 weeks I hope to provide support and entertainment whilst we aim to achieve our goals. I love running and feel so completely privileged to have been selected to as part of the #asics262 team in association with Runners World. It still doesn't seem quite real in all honesty. I hope I do the role proud. I have been running regularly for 13 years now, my story beginning with getting home from school one evening and Mum saying "Amz I'm going out for a quick run, wanna come?" And the rest as they say is history. Hooked. I've always thought I'd like to do a marathon, my Mum has done London three times, she wanted to achieve a medal for the three of us (myself and my two younger sisters), so I kind of have the same desire now. It wasn't until last year that I actually made the move to attempt a marathon though, I took on Edinburgh, and did fairly well in 4hrs 12, but it wasn't what I wanted, I wanted to be in the sub 4 club, which is what led me to apply for this competition. I felt that the team support I would gain from the Asics Team was what I needed as I train and run alone. I would love to get to know you as well so please feel free to chip in, I am sure we can support each other. My coach thought the next 16 weeks is Steve Smythe, an incredible runner himself, and I am lucky to have his expertise help guide my training. Steve has given me a few weeks of a plan beginning on Monday.....anyone interested in having a squwizz....?!

Comments

• Hi Amy

well done on the session Tuesday - good speed and hopeful you can reach your potential over the next 4 months or so. The training for the first month which Amy will shortly share is a guideline and will be adjusted if necessary to take into account improving fitness or tiredness or previous sessions which might suggest the original pace may be too easy or hard.

• Yay, great to see your thread up and running Amy! Can't wait to see your programme and will be following and supporting you all the way to Paris! Bring it on...

• Hi Steve.

Thanks, it was tough, I've never really looked at pacing myself in this way so is a new thing for me. Hopefully I can do you and myself justice.
  • Hi Bethleham running bunny!

How are you? Thanks for the support. You're running Paris too then? Or another around that time? Bring it on indeed grrrrrr!
  • I'm running VLM which is 2 weeks later but going to start my training at the same time as you then just repeat the last 2 weeks of the programme before the taper so most of my training will be in sync.  Hope that's not a daft idea!

I'm also after that elusive sub4 marathon time so will be glued to all the tips and advice you, Steve, Ruth, Victor and Sarah give. Roll on Monday!

• Morning, so after your 121 with Steve what time are you aiming for?
  • Hi Amy - great to see your RW thread up. I'll be checking in on your progress with Steve's sub-4 plan as a sub-4 finish is what I'm aiming for too (though you're much faster and may end up hot on the heels of Tim's sub-3.30).

• Morning Amy I can feel you hot on my heels already you little speedster! Good luck. image

• Hi Amy, I am sure you will be joining that sub 4 club in Paris best of luck with everything 

• Morning Amy, good to see you finally got the thread up and running.

Which Edinburgh marathon did you run- was it 2014? Was trying to see what your split times were....Couldn't find them on the results

• Humm Ghost runner... only 3 posts... So you don't have the balls to ask the question as your normal self and have created another id... HUMMMMM....

Amy Good Luck, hope you succeed, but it is a fair question, easily answered by saying you have another alter ego that is your real name for running.  But, it is a fair question, even if it's been asked by a sneaky git that hasn't got the guts to ask under their normal login.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I'm sure a regular poster wouldn't want to be seen as a troublemaker, so I can understand the reluctance to give their real forum name.

It wasn't me, by the way!image

I am, also, one that likes to see splits. I've mentioned this on the other main thread. It provides an easy way of seeing what the potential may be and, more importantly, where it has all gone wrong and what improvements can be made.

Additionally, where did you achieve your half marathon PB, Amy? That's an impressive time and would point to you being capable of something much quicker than Sub 4.

Are you likely to be doing Dorney Half, this year?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Bethlehem Running Bunny - good luck with your own Sub 4 attempt. I'm sure Steve's advice on here will be invaluable to you. I shall look forward to seeing how you progress.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    'Twernt me neither guvnor. I don't have the technical nouse to set up multiple accounts.

Would be interested to know the course, conditions and pacing of the PB. Back in 2012 I managed to get 12 mins from my PB with better weather, a flatter course and more sensible pacing.

Well done on getting the thread up and running.
  • Yes Amy! The thread is up. Looking forward to following your journey. Any chance of more rapping along the way!? What's your plan looking like?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

No, no!  The rapping has got to stop. Running is the priority now - the music career will just have to wait! image

Well done again Amy. You are in the best possible hands. Steve is brilliant (he will also hate me for saying that).

Best of luck.

• I quite like the rapping Amy. image

• Hello Amy!!!

First of all, many many congratulations on making it this far, you have 16 fantastic weeks ahead and I am sure you will do great in Paris.

I am targeting a sub 4 marathon next year so I will be closely following your progress and Steve's wise advice!!! I did 4:09:01 in Paris this year so I am very motivated to do a sub 4.  However, after Paris, I tried to follow James' sub 4 plan for a few weeks and I have to confess I was quite challenged by the faster paces!

I will be most likely doing Madrid which takes place April 26th, just two weeks after Paris, so I will start my training after Christmas image

Looking forward to the weeks ahead!

• Wasn't me either! I'm with Malcs and vote no rapping!
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Santas little Tigger x wrote (see)
    Wasn't me either! I'm with Malcs and vote no rapping!

Me too!!!!image

• What is wrong with you lot!? Did you see the rap!? It was superdope.image

• Look, just to clarify we need the rapping at least until Xmas. I have loads of pressies for my OH stuck in brown boxes, they look crap I really think we should have rapping allowed so that I can make them all pretty, so the dog can play with the rapping paper on the 25th.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

lol image

Hey, I didn't say I didn't like it!

Ok, ok, for the sake of booktrunk's Christmas the rapping stays...but only until the new year, then it plays second fiddle to running. Deal?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
  • Could we not just stick to paper? Happy compromise??

You also never said you liked it either Malcs but hey it worked a treat ????
  • Well both Gingermagic and Pocketrocket are great names for rappers! .. 

The least of my expectations are as follows

• The 9min/mile rap .. aka MP rap
    • The 10min/mile rap .. aka Long run pace rap

Steve will probably modify your MP rap to something a bit sharper and so you'll need to provide an additional rap for that!

Great to see your thread up and running Pocketrocket

• Hi Sub 4 Amy!

Good luck for the training - I have a 4:12 PB and am targetting a sub 4 (again) at Stockholm at the end of May, so hopefully I'll be able to pick up some tips from your thread. 

Congratulations to getting through - enjoy the ride and be sure to take full advantage of the support from the coaches (I'm sure you are anyway!)

• Good luck Amy, I followed James' sub 4 plan last year and got a PB in Paris of 3:53 which took a huge chunk off my previous PB of 4:21.  With your half mara time, it should be a breeze!

• booktrunk wrote (see)

Humm Ghost runner... only 3 posts... So you don't have the balls to ask the question as your normal self and have created another id... HUMMMMM....

Amy Good Luck, hope you succeed, but it is a fair question, easily answered by saying you have another alter ego that is your real name for running.  But, it is a fair question, even if it's been asked by a sneaky git that hasn't got the guts to ask under their normal login.

BOOKTRUNK- your point is??

• Sure there is a good explanation and it can be put to bed....