What's been your running highlight from 2014?:

Mine is coming back from injury earlier in the year, racing more than I have in the previous two years (wasn't difficult) and getting my running mojo back.....I think!

Comments

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Same story here. I'd not been able to run more than a couple of miles without pain, and had resorted to run/walk to cover any distance. Then (seemingly) all of a sudden the pain just stopped and I've managed a couple of half marathons, several 10km races and a 10 miler with no problem. I've knocked nearly 15 minutes off my 10km time in the past 2 months, so onwards and upwards I hope! 

• Organising my first Ultra and Giants head again

• Knocked the best part of a minute off my 10K PB and made a good start on the points competition at my local parkrun.

Also ran a 1 mile race for the first time, good to try something a bit different.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Mine has been actually feeling like a runner. In the last year I have gone from not being able to run, to having done a sub 20 min parkrun (just),I did a half marathon despite not actually properly preparing for it and actually did ok (for me). I have recently managed a couple of 40 mile weeks and am seeing my pace vs HR improve at all training intensities, which at the moment looks like I am in form for pb if I do a bit of sharpening work.

So feeling like a runner is definitely my highlight!
  • Beating HM pb after 4 years and 5 attempts.
  • I'm impressed with the perseverance there Catalin. Excellent.

• I've had a calf tear and a TFL strain this year, so only one race - a 10K - which I was thrilled to do in under an hour (59:11).

Despite the injuries and a bit of weight gain I've managed to get my mile speed down so I'm consistently running under 10 minute miles now. I guess that's my highlight.

• Running my first marathon at 54 ....bit late to the party but better late than never image

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Running a first marathon

• Joining a running club for the first time, winning my local park run points table, first two sub 3 marathons and PB's at every distance. Been a good 2014, lets hope 2015 goes the same way!

• running on a athletics track with a running club

• Missed out on both my A targets of the year

But

After 3 years of my  running  being on hold for triathlon i decided to up the running and the triathlon training. with some help from a friend did some winter training on short running distances and this year have PB'd at 5k,10k, 8 miles, half marathon. 20 miles as well as at offroad races of 7 miles, 16 miles, 20 miles and 46 miles........

as well as PB'ing at all the triathlons I did. image

• Running the Grizzly was pretty special, huge sense of achievement as I crossed the line.

This, however, was beaten into second place watching the grit and determination on Jo Pavey's face to secure her commonwealth bronze. That was my running highlight and I didn't even run!

I used her as inspiration for a 5k handicap race when I hung on grimly to beat a much younger runner earlier this month and win. 

• Managed to go sub 90 for a HM which was great, and ran my first marathon which was an incredible experience. 

But easily the best thing about 2014 was running the number of miles I did, and devoting the vast majority of my free time to training. It just felt incredible, I've never felt so at one with myself and that's a feeling I hope to replicate in 2015.

• My first 2 10k's - both of which were under the hour mark. Really pleased.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Getting a sub 2.45 at VLM. image

• WexterWexter ✭✭✭

Running the Riga marathon, was hotter then I would have liked. Vowing not to run again afterwards and took 4 months off running. Then back to park runs and entered the Richmond Park Marathon for 2015 ( forgot the pain in 2014 at 20 plus miles alreadyimage)

• After five years of feeling like an inadequate amateur compared with everyone else, after leaving my sleeping family in bed one morning and running through ankle deep mud, halfway up the third massive hill, when the downpour started and l realised that l was loving it, l felt like a real runner!

• Disappointing start to the year as injured early on in VLM training but I've enjoyed focusing on shorter distances. PBs for 1 mile, 5k, 5 miles, 10k and 10 miles and highlight has to be going sub 20 (19:47) for parkrun.

• Lilytoo wrote (see)

After five years of feeling like an inadequate amateur compared with everyone else, after leaving my sleeping family in bed one morning and running through ankle deep mud, halfway up the third massive hill, when the downpour started and l realised that l was loving it, l felt like a real runner!