Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• I didn't make it out today but I've got my 7 mile route planned for 10am tomorrow. I'm out for an Italians this evening and since I have a 1 year old I'll be back home by 8, glass or 2 of red before January's DryAthlon and I'll be right as rain in the morning.

my goals for 2015 are 500 mile and better nutrition. I need to focus more on eating better to aid recovery so I've got a bit of research to to.

im signing up to a few events such as mud runs and beach warrior events so they give me something to aim for

anyhoo, time to get ready. Have a good new year everyone, see you on the other side

• Did you get out kott?

First run of the year for me today. 7 miles at marathon pace. Aim was around 9:15 per mile. Did the 7 in 1:03:29, averaging 9:04. The run was pancake flat so i'll settle for that. Mrs JR has got me on one of these 30 day challenges to start the year. We're doing a glute challenge (my choice as it'll be good for our running) and an ab challenge (the challenge will be finding one lol).

January - 7

2015 - 7

2014 targets....

1000 miles - 984.67 miles ran

4 runs per week – achieved 182 , 3.5 per week

1st January 2014 – 88.7kg…….1st January 2015 – 82.8kg image

Sub 50 minute 10k – 49:11 achieved image

Marathon – Not achieved

Sub 24min 5k – ran 23:04 image

• You have left a sound foundation in your wake in 2014 JR, very impressive well done!

The Ct5k continues and week 3 is now nearly complete, although yesterdays was done in howling head wind, not fun!......I have filled the in between days with a little core work and walking 5k with my Mrs. The jump from 3min to 5min next week will be interesting image

• Not much fun in the wind is it Martin! Makes it bloody hard work. Good luck with next weeks 5 minute schedule. 

• Hi JR, yeah I got out and clocked 10.9k but after around 8k I flt a twinge behind by left knee. I stopped, stretched it out then set of at a slower pace and building back up to standard pace. I also went out in tights which I thought would be more of an issue but after a few other runners passed in them I forgot all about them.

im a little stiff today on that left knee but I'm out on the bike for a few miles this weekend so no worries there. I'm also going to sign up for the sweatshop 5k get together on a Monday night for a little encouragement

• KOTT, you'll see plenty of others in tights, it's nothing to worry about. All comes down to personal preference at the end of the day. Wear what you're comfortable with! There are a few of us who refuse to ditch the shorts. I've worn shorts year round most of my life, running or not. Tights just aren't a good look for me. I did chuckle a little yesterday though as I passed a runner wearing tights, running jacket and woolly hat! He must have been roasting in the mild weather we had down here in Devon. 

Enjoy the sweatshop 5k run, think we have one in Exeter 30 minutes up the road. I've never been but a great idea as is parkrun, if you're not signed up get yourself down to one if you can. They are brilliant.

Rest day for me today, long run tomorrow. 

• Hi all,

got out running today for first time in just under 7months and it felt good.  Went out early and did 2 miles in just under 20 minutes. I know it's not much but it's a start! Didn't feel too bad aerobic wise and the various muscles and dodgy knee seem ok as well. Trying not to do too much too soon will be the key to keeping injury free, and will be the hard bit.

Am aiming to do my local parkrun soon, hopefully by the end of the month.

keep up the good work everyone.

• Yes agree with JR, KOTT, never mind what others think, the guy with the woolly hat and jacket sounds like me today! image

Well done UTB and yes I have my eye on the local park-run, but not till the end of next month! image

Well I run/walked around 5k today and in preparation for next week incorporated two 5 min runs, pushing out 3 next week will be fun! image

• Good start UTB. Little and often is the key I think when returning. Parkrun, as you will find out, is absolutely brilliant.

Good luck next week Martin. You'll be fine image

13.1 miles today. Took the hilly route and despite the hills taking it out of me today managed to keep the pace as close to 9:30 as possible (9:36 achieved on average). 

2015 - 20.1

• 1st run 2morrow in about 9 or 10 months, weight has ballooned now want to lose 2st/2st 7lb, so I'm going to run mon,wed,fri,sun and swim tue,thur,sat. Going to try run5 walk1 x  6 maybe a bit ambitious but 2morrow is tester run, then will adjust.

Going to get lighter and healthier before I think about any races.

Have a cool one image 

• Managed to get out on the bike on Saturday for an hour, then a couple of miles jogging on Sunday. Really tired. Maybe a long walk today.

• Hey folks sorry ive been away for a bit.......WOAH it got busy in here eh JR?! image

HUGE welcome from me to all the new folks to the thread!! imageimageimageimageimageimage

If you have a spare couple of days have a read back over some of the thread and you will find we are a friendly bunch with buckets of experience image 

Please feel free to ask questions or share useful information.....we love it!

Ive been out of action for this week with a nasty cold so ive missed loads of posts. well done for keeping on JR its great to see you at this point!

I think my last post was about my 35 for 35? After that I managed to break my 5k pb again and finish the year off with it at 23:15 image

just booking stuff up for this year, so far I have...

the backwards London marathon followed by the forwards one image in a April.

Loch Ness marathon in September and Stort 30 in October image

Still on the hunt for a 100 attempt again this year and maybe a 50 or 100k hmmm 

and yes new folks...............I have a problem ha ha ha image

• Hope the first run back went well runningmuppet image Nice one Robert, hope the legs have recovered? 

Hi B2B....image Been feeling a little under the weather myself and just had a couple of days off before a very easy 6 miles along the canal tonight. Annoying cough kicking in but as long as it doesn't settle on my chest determined not to let it stop me running. Well done on the 5k, sub 23 soon! 

Been filling up my calendar at work with runs for this year. I think the only one on the road is my marathon! Los of multi terrain, muddy fun again this year.

2015 - 26.1

• ooo cant beat a bit of mud!! image yeah gunning for sub 23 soon!image I have no idea how much faster I can go but its fun finding out

Still no running from me until this cold shifts properly

• Helloimage

Anyone remember me?

Well I need some help. I haven't run since August after a great start to 2014.

Desperate to get back into it for many reasons, speaking on Monkey Tag running some are going to Loch Ness in 2015 and I am jealous as this is my ultimate goal. But no way be fit enough for 2015 so want to do 2016 maybe apply as soon as 2016 enteries come out in October to give myself a boost

I am of an age where time for this dream is not on my side. Also piled on weight and look awfull so needs to come off aiming to loose a stone at least by August for hols

Signed up for Scottish half in October so need to move my backside - I know I have said it before but it really is now or never. Monday back to running at work am full of cold just now. When I start will be OK as I get obsessed with miles !! Some may also remember my attempt to run all EPL football grounds so will continue that

Sorry to put this on you but will be in posting and following you all, and came here because this forum has beenis the biggest inspiration I have had over the lase few years.

Happy running speak soon. Hi to the old gang and looking forward to speaking to new posters

• Hey 330!! Thanks for joining us on Monkey Tag as well! The monkeys will keep you going as im sure this thread will

Never ever give up on something so special, in fact why not just go for Loch Ness anyway? There is no ballot after all and for you the travel isnt so bad. Just go for it! You can finish a marathon, anyone can, it just comes down to how "easy" you want to make it for yourself image Come and join us!

• B2B

Nice to here from you and will catch up with Monkey tag soon. Would love to come to LN but to be honest I don't want to go and struggle and not enjoy it. To be honest even having doubts re the half in October !!

But will get back am sure, you know what I am like with logging the miles !!

• just switch the long term off for a bit and just go for a run, it will all come flooding back image

• It’s certainly fun finding out how far you can push B2B. Looking forward to this year, more speed, more distance, more mud, more fun! My cold is hanging on but I’m determined to run through it…..as long as it doesn’t end up on my chest.

Welcome back 330! Great to see you back, and with a race entry too! I know we’ve all said it before but life really does get in the way sometimes. Running is always there though, and you’re not alone in gaining a pound or two. Despite running all over Christmas and New Year I’ve around half a stone to shift myself. Looks like we’re all suffering with colds eh.

Despite this cold hanging on I decided to sweat it out a bit and go for today’s run. Ran a mile to warm up then 5 x 1 mile repeats with a 2 ½ minute recovery. The aim was 7:30 pace but had already decided to give myself 30 seconds a mile due to feeling a little under the weather and the constant headwind. I was definitely a little off pace and ran 7:54, 7:56, 7:54, 8:29, 7:45. Quite pleased considering and mile 4 was a nightmare due to the wind! 7.77 miles in total. Parkrun tomorrow with the kids…..mud!!! Then 15 long….slow….miles Sunday.

Happy running folks

2015 - 33.87

• Managed a grand total of 19 mins yesterday, nearly blown over twice and had to walk into the head wind. Dreadful weather.

• Robert

Good run there !! Training for anything in particular?

• coast 2 coast in Sept. It's a long way off but I think I'll need the time!!

• Well done Robert, the wind was a nightmare yesterday. It's even worse here today. Is that the C2C with the kayaks, bike and run starting in the Lake District?

Just got home from an unsuccessful trip to parkrun, my youngest was sick in the back of the car so we had to turn around and come home. Our street is full of my neighbours recycling (he's yet to fix his gate which has been broken for 2 years and is also yet to figure out that a brick keeps the lid on your black recycling box). 

• it does have the run, cycle and kayaks, it's 105 miles over two days from Nairn to Isles of Glencoe. The wind is worse here today 35 mph and seems to be constant for the next 3 days!!

Hope your kid is ok

• Worth a read Robert....Scotland C2C This guy did it to celebrate his 40th. Mrs JR gave me a death stare when I mentioned this (i'm 40 this year).

My youngest child is fine now. He's looking a little pale, but a hot shower, lots of fluids and the xbox seem to have revitalised him.

• Thats a great read, thanks. Nobody said it would be easy!! I'll be celebrating my 55th so might be a bit slower. I do a fair bit of cycling but the running is really hard. I'm overweight and trying to diet as well. If you want to team up let Mrs JR know I'll look after you!!

• Robert, where do you stay?

I presume you are in Scotland? I am in Helensburgh

• The look on Mrs JR's face said it all Robert image 

Went out this afternoon for my long run as Mrs JR is running with a group in the morning and then we're out for lunch with family. Tried hard to keep the pace slow as per the schedule (10mm) but my easy and long runs have been between 9 and 9:30 for some time now so found it difficult to ease up. Finally, 4 miles in, I was able to ease to a slow trot and keep to the pace. 10 1/2 miles in all was good. Just 4 1/2 to go.....then my legs went to jelly image. Not sure if yesterdays run was affecting me or the cold/cough (almost gone now) or a combination of the two? Anyway, I was starting to wander around, the pace was slowing and I was starving! I had no money to stop at the shop and had already had my gel at mile 7/8. Think I should possibly have taken two and had one at 40/50 minutes. I know i'd taken on plenty of fluid during the last week, especially the last few days. I guess every run can't be perfect so will put it down to a bad day. I stopped to a walk for 5 minutes which settled me down, got my breath back and eased back into a jog. I felt fine again but hungry so took the shortcut home and cut the run back to 13.76 miles, still managing an average of 10:07 with the walk.

2015 - 47.63

• 1st, 2nd and 3rd run now done, have swam on the other days and already feeling better, had first food craving last night as I always used to have payday pizza on a Friday as I get paid weekly.  Up to run10 walk1 x 3, happy with progress so far and the swimming has meant my legs feel a lot better than I thought they would it gets rid of most of any tightness I have. Going to have a treat day every 2 weeks with a choc bar or something so not totally having forbidden food.

Have cool run image

• 330 or Bust, I'm down in Ayr. therunningmuppet, like the idea of the choc bar every second week, I might have to do it once a week, don't want to over do it!!