Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    90 easy in the snow this morning. Heeded the wise words of this thread and slowed the fuck down. 7:55 average pace - probably would have been a touch quicker but there was a bastard of a wind on the way back. Felt ridiculously slow compared to recent runs but yeah, they were probably too quick. Got to to keep an eye on the long game - I'll knacker myself running low 7s once the higher mileage starts to kick in.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Prob best in the snow too CC82. A 15 mile group run for me this morning. Barely got in zone 1 until the hills so looks like ill be running solo from now on.
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

bloody hell Rob. Youre a machine

Well done on the county vest Dachs. Well deserved mate

Great racing yesterday too Matt. Your experience in fell running would always put you in the XC mixer

The difference a few miles makes CC. Snow where you are whilst i did my 5k session on Friday topless! I shit you not!

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    My nipples are almost bleeding. I kind of wish I ran topless today...
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Philip - kudos indeed to that guy! Some of the Strava segments I've lost recently have been to very dodgy looking times, including one woman who recorded 5 miles at just shy of women's WR pace! 

CC - I'm jealous - I love running in the snow!

Johnas - are you running in Barbados or something image. It's mild here, but far too windy for those sort of shenanigans.

Congratulations Dachs!

Very nice racing Matt!

Sounds like a rare off-day Dean, but still an enjoyable report for us!

Blimey rob, just blimey!

Felt better today, nauseous, but not weak and shivery like yesterday. Headed out for an XC of unknown length, but eventually managed to crack out the 11.4 I needed to make a nice round 60 for the week image. First 60 mile week for just shy of a year!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

although windy, the sun came out for the entire session!

Nice run Bus. Hopefully that mileage is a sign the injury woes are behind you

Don't know how i missed Dean's post. Nice to see he is human afterall image

Jealous of the places you get to run PMJ. Japan is on my to do list though. The place looks mental.

Right. Wife is about to wake after her night shift last night so id best get ready to get out for an 18 miler or so.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, I hope that determination to hit 60 miles doesn't result in your undoing.

Looks like the infection has released me from its grip. How do I know? Well as soon as was well enough, I jogged at a set effort and accepted the pace. Over night for the same effort I'm 20 seconds/mile  faster.

I am also 11% lighter than a year back when I was beaten by 2 minutes 50 seconds, over about 5 miles. 

Places to run. Wife has just booked flights to New Zealand, for December.

🙂

• The Bus wrote (see)

Philip - kudos indeed to that guy! Some of the Strava segments I've lost recently have been to very dodgy looking times, including one woman who recorded 5 miles at just shy of women's WR pace! 

I do sometimes go out on my bike and log a run with a spare Starva account I keep for such purposesimage I have to admit I have tried to pick up a few of your CRs on off-road courses but I can't seem to match them so I run the path, log it,and it doesn't register. When a segment has a handful of people you know it is dubious GPS.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

With some of the super quick times on Strava segments, it's obvious they've logged them on a bike (probably by mistake to be fair). 

Johnas - possibly, though there has been a bit of a twinge on the last two long runs, so I'm hoping the same as you Ric! I've been there several times in the past 18 months, when it starts to return when I increase too much so it is a bit of a balance....

Trying to hit a round number like 60, is just my way of trying to go the extra mile (literally!) which gives me a bit of a psychological boost as much as anything.  I do need to be doing (relatively) big miles for a good time at Wokingham in just four weeks now.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Just seen Sam A's LSR on FB today - 19 miles (+1 warmdown!) at 6:29 pace - described as an easy run by her boyfriend!!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

she's finally utilising the final weapon in the bid to go sub 2hr 40. A fast boyfriend who doubles as a personal pacer! Am surprised the idea never came up before!

Less impressive stats for me, although I did manage a 14...hour sleep!

got a 4miler off again, felt less than marvellous, but still came out the usual pace.

Probably won't be in too bad a place when this little period is over, just could do with that being now

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've ever slept 14 hours straight in my life. That's impressive.
  • You lot and your running, I remember when I used to run image

Bike again for me today, rode to the TVXC at Tadley. Poncing around trying to navigate ruined my average speed. 42 miles in total at 18mph but I was flying on the way home with the westerly wind helping.

Congrats on your vest Dachs.

Good miles Bus - I hope I can recover in time to run Wokingham too, I still think I could eek out a PB with it being so soft.

I had a couple of Strava efforts where I cycled with my running watch, but these were picked up by the Strava Police and I changed them to cycle.

SG well done on your sleep, you sure you don't have ME?

Johan - I don't even do skins in the summer. I think enough has been said on Rob's 5k effort. I also found it comforting that there's still hope once one's past one's theoretical prime. 

I've got a headache now so can't be bothered to read back any more. Plus I am trying not to think about bleeding nipples.

• SG is sleeping as much as I did the other week. My parents had the kids that week so I needed to catch up image

Tadley XC today. Wow - brutal. Similar to HX course but without any grip. Every so often there would be a deep sucking mud field that would cause most of us to come to a grinding halt. One of our guys lost a shoe at 2 miles and continued to the finish in a sock. I crossed the line with another TVT'er as we played tactical, though it seems in vain. 114th and 43:20. There was a bit of a wind and I used a Windle runner to hide behind other than that it was vest and short shorts weather, plus obligatory long socks. image

They did say the course was suitable for spikes and I think next year I'd take mine. Haven't used mine this year as they hurt my feet last year.

I hold two Strava CRs, both running and both pretty esoteric in nature.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

CC- get yourself ill, and it's quite easy!

Iron, love the tactics, did that joint 114th gain much? image

How much of the course is the same? Sounds a bit like they thought, right, we had to lose the water jumps and ploughed fields, which ruined it a fair bit, how can we completely ruin it now, and make it nothing like before!

• Probably nothing to be gained, but it seemed a good idea at the time, and my oxygen deprived brain settled on it. To be honest I might have caught one of the people in front if I'd put in a sprint. Ho-hum.

The car park is the same. Don't get me wrong, it was a great course. Just very hard.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I've done Tadley 8 times since 2006 looking at the record books.

Today actually kills a 7 year sequence, but never mind.

Race sequences aren't always a good thing, they tend to bind you to a race. Local chap who was ever present at the Wycombe half always looked miserable as sin at the prospect.

And I'm sure some of those London marathon ever presents must have turned up with In terrible states and still run.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Wish I'd got out at 10 for Wycombe Half SG! It will be 14th in a row this year image

I know one of the ever-presents, and whilst he does moan about being trapped into it, it's pretty much the only thing that actually gets him running these days!

Andrew - good bike ride. That will help keep your running fitness for a bit.

Iron - sounds like a tough race. I did think of possibly doing Tadley, but it seemed just a bit too far to go without doing the series. 

• You do get hung on a race; Wokingham half and Marlow du for me. Glad that's broken now. 

I'd only done 1 XC league race this year. There's always Bracknell or TVT Bus? 

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Morning...

30 mins easy this morning in the dark. Bloody windy out there so not so much a concsious effort to slow down but being blown about all over the place. Came out at average 8:17 pace after first couple of miles at 7:46ish - running into a brick wall on the way back!

At least the snow's gone away as quickly as it arrived.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Bracknell might be a possibility Iron.

I was going to head out at lunchtime, but given the weather is foul, my legs are tired and I'm still feeling sick, I've decided not to bother!

• Hi All, good reading about the weekends training and racing..Good stuff Dachs and I will see you at Brum in March..what colour vest? Good stuff from Matt and Iron Cat. Dean - happens to us all now and again!

It was Streatham Common for us on saturday in the Surrey league..Christ it was tough. The ground was very soggy and it's very parliament hill like - full of holes. We had 3 laps with 2 horrid climbs on each lap..not been that knackered at the end of a xc race for a while. Quite pleased with 30th as I didn't think I had run that well - 7.5/10 perhaps.

One of those races where you get passed by the proper old school mudlark xc runners! Anyway, the 6 pints of Young's afterwards helped fuel my 10 miler yesterday image

• Sounds great Simon. We had people yesterday that could walk on mud and water. They were at the lighter younger end of the spectrum though.

I haven't had Young's for years. A proper session pint, goes down like water! image

1 hour recovery on the rollers today. If there was nothing in my legs yesterday then today was a struggle, but I feel a hell of a lot looser now for having done it.

Run speedwork tomorrow - km reps.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, go with Bon Jovi, You can run while you're alive and rest when you're dead.image Seriously though, you can't fight illness, its a wait and see job.

11 miles for me this morning. Still feeling like I cannot be bothered with putting in effort, the splits revealed 7:40's. I'll take that. 

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Shame you've had a disappointing one Dean, I suppose the problem is when it goes wrong in XC that often leaves you entirely up sh*t creek - you can mask it to some extent on the road just by keeping the rhythm going a little longer, but not in XC.  You'll be back stronger though.

Good run Iron, the course sounds awful though, frankly I'm glad I missed it - I had entertained fanciful notions of back to back Saturday and Sunday XCs, but realised it was a foolish idea, and did a slow 16 instead.

Looks like a strong placing in that league Simon.  Hopefully I'll see you at the Inter Counties then.  I believe Berkshire run in a green vest with two horizontal yellow stripes.  What kind of placing do you reckon you're looking at?

Excellent mileage Bus, nicely done.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Anyone watch Jonny D in the Great Edinburgh XC at the weekend?  I watched it last night on catch-up.  Shame he couldn't get his face on TV leading the race like he did in the shorter race last year, leading Kenenisa Bekele by about 30 metres.  Still, fantastic to race at senior GB level, and I'm sure it will happen a lot more in the coming years, as long as Samir Haddad doesn't knock him out of the squad.

• I had been considering going down to Edinburgh to spectate, but then it was snowing sideways so I decided to stay at home by the fire drinking tea and thinking about how pleased I was not to be racing the interdistricts.

• I watched it, the coverage of the British runners was disappointing though. Made worse by the reference to Great Britain being Team GB. Makes me cringe just typing it.

What is the point of having three teams all prefixed by the word team, how does this distinguish them? This is my number one per hate image.

• Andrew G wrote (see)
    What is the point of having three teams all prefixed by the word team, how does this distinguish them? This is my number one per hate image.

It's confusing for the uninitiated. Team GB is the brand name of the "Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic Team", but this seems to be some kind of media secret.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I guess its easier to mindlessly chant 'Team GB', rather than 'The British Team'.

On another note, back in July I witnessed a 'hit and run' incident. Heard nothing for weeks despite being a witness. Only now have heard anything else. Seems I won't be needed as a witness.

However, the defendant is being charged with:

Driving without due care and attention - Fail to Stop.

🙂