Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• morning everyone

well, I have definitely been back at it this week, recovered from my lurgy. A couple of short easy runs, a couple of spin classes, swimming, an insanity class and a kettlebells class - think I am going to ache for a few days after that one, swimming today is going to be interesting!

• Fab MC, not so fab for hairbrushing strains, falling off bikes and being bashed in the pool. 

Supposed to be going on a tri-coaching day tomorrow but we have snow.... 

• managed the swim ok, and actually kept up with someone who is normally a fair bit faster than me!

At my Thursday swim, the coach filmed me and apart from the embarrassment of actually seeing myself in a swimming costume, it was useful and I am trying to work on things he picked up. Hard though. 

• Well done on the swim MC.

I decided to turbo rather than risk the freezing cold outside. So another Spinveral DVD was tried out and I added a longer warm up and cool down to increase the time to one and a half hours. Impressed that I managed an average of 13.3mph but my quads did complain a bit towards the end.

Off to visit FiL tomorrow so I had to get my main training in today in between housework and buying socks.

• well done steady. I drove past some miserable looking cyclists today in the cold! roads were icy at the edges here, so much safer to turbo

• There were very few cyclists out my way, just a few solo riders and one group, the normal is 3 or 4 groups and masses of solo and pairs riding, if you see less than 30 cyclists in 10 miles it is a quiet day.

• Not got above freezing today and the bits of snow left on the ground has frozen so looks like it will be turbo and cross trainer in the garage for me.

Maths ....glad to hear your back on it.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

No exercise for me today but my side is healing nicely.

Looking forward to hopefully managing a full week of cycle commuting next week. It's supposed to be getting colder though so looking at buying full length winter cycling bib.

MC - sounds like you've had a busy week.

Steady - great speed.

• Ali -  Good news, still OK?

MC - Must be good seeing yourself swim to  see what the coach is trying to improve

Mikasa - Good news nothing too serious, take it steady on the bike, meant to be cold all week.

Another few good days training for me.

Friday - 15 miles run and swim club in the evening.

Saturday - Swim club in the afternoon, not sure what was going on but actually felt good in the water and not fighting the water, long may it continue.

Today -  20 miles run, unfuelled and  felt the fat burning kick in about 15 but pace did n't drop so very happy with run.

• 5 mile run with my mate Horse today, it was -1c and with the wind blowing it felt a lot colder, we even had a quick hail storm but really enjoyed it image fastest run to date in Z2  avg pace 10:03 min/m and it felt easy.

• I'm doing Ok thanks, no exercise yet as I discovered just shopping left me rather achey but I'm horse riding tonight which is my usual test to see if I'm OK again. If all goes well then Turbo Tuesday is back on image

• After yesterdays run with Horse I was feeling great today so instead of a rest day I thought I would go for another run. Set out with the intention of doing a steady 4 miler but felt ok so took a detour and finished up doing just under 7 miles, avg pace today 10:14m/m.

Barry......20 miles? you got a marathon planned.

• After yesterdays run with Horse I was feeling great today so instead of a rest day I thought I would go for another run. Set out with the intention of doing a steady 4 miler but felt ok so took a detour and finished up doing just under 7 miles, avg pace today 10:14m/m.

• I dont like repeating myself but the page had a life of its own image

• Running with horse followed by horse riding.... imageimage

Glad to see that Z2 runs can seem easy. They certainly dont yet for me. 

Tri coaching day yesterday - run and bike seemed ok but swim was painfully slow compared to the others. 

• well done razor and Barry

I went for a 10 mile run yesterday, ended up walking a fair bit, my legs were really fatigued from kettlebells on Friday and my tummy was complaining from having toast for brekky, so I figured a fast walk was better overall, and not that much slower than a slow run!

swam yesterday evening

spinning and insanity tonight

I want to run tomorrow but realistically I think it would be sensible to have a rest day. I don't want to end up with totally trashed legs - or slipping on the ice

• MC - toast that bad for you? Well done on the variety - kettles, run, swim, spin and insanity.... 

• image I knew I needed to phrase that differently but failed.
    The good news is I survived equine riding (that sounds worse!), back is a little tender today, but am going to give turbo a go this evening. Fingers crossed.

• well done Ali

normally I would have either nothing, a banana or porridge before running. Toast/bread can upset my stomach sometimes, and I guess before running would be one of those times!

anyway, forcing myself to have a rest day, although it would have been nice to run before the snow gets here! Tomorrow I reckon if I head out on fresh snow in trail shoes I should be ok, then turbo on thursday rather than run as it will have compacted and turned icy by then

• I love running on fresh snow but compacted snow and ice are a menace! I nearly went flying several times earlier and i am sure my heart rate was high from nerves rather than effort!

• Yay managed turbo session, just struggled to keep up 100 cadence on the last few reps but managed about 95 so call it a win.
    Back is stiff in a different way today but I'm calling it good, rest day on plan today which I will take and then back to swim squad tomorrow evening image

• 5th time going to the pool to do lengths for me tonight. Trying to keep to swimming two lengths, then having a breather for 30 secs each time. Doing that for an hour. Bloody knackering BUT I'm really enjoying it as it's such a refreshing change from just running all week. Not enjoying the exercise bike though. Can't wait for the longer days!

• CP- Sounds like you're the same as me and  find the swimming a challenge. Keep at it and it will become easier.

Razor - Yeah I'm running London, nice extended run by you.

A quick 30 mins in the pool monday followed by hour with my physio, mainly concentrating on my legs but swimming coach and others have commented my shoulders look stiff when I'm swimming, my shoulder blades, especially left one, were tight and freeing them off hurt.

5 miles run yesterday breaking in new shoes followed by 30 mins s&c.  And in the pool again this afternoon, 2000m in just over the hour including 2 x 400m 10:16 and 10:17, so happy but made schoolboy error as I forgot to stop Garmin so recorded an extra 50 mins or so.

• ah, in the end there wasn't much snow and it was pretty slushy this morning, but I couldn't be bothered to get up early anyway! Did force myself out for a run this evening though

• Barry - Yeh it's a challenge. Haven't ever tried swimming any kind of distance before so it's all quite new to me. Stuck to the target I set religiously today so feeling good now. -2??c tomorrow at 6am for a run is going to be awful though!
  • I did my 30 min turbo session tonight, I put the resistance up slightly so the Garmin only recorded 10mph for speed but kept it in the correct HR range, but the run bit afterwards did not happen, oops must start running soon.

• -2C was too cold....kept the run short to about 4 miles!

• Spin session tonight but unable to keep the rpm at or above 90 and the HR in Z1, so settled for an average rpm of 83 whilst keeping the HR in the right zone. I blame altering the resistance on the turbo, anyhow it gives me something to work on.

• CP - what do you wear to run in? at -2 I wear running tights, a base layer then a long sleeved top and I am fine - well, if I ran at more than a snail's pace I would probably be too hot. 

ran this morning and swam this evening

it isn't pleasant when your body does something stupid like breathing in when your head is still underwater image