working at it slowly

Comments

• Slimming World does indeed only work if you stick to it! I got down to target last September (you stop paying once you get to target as long as you stay there!) - but then went back up again and having paid an extra few weeks without being able to shift it (because I wasn't sticking to it at all!) I ended up leaving. 

Put an entire stone back on in the following 3 months image

I'd like to think one day I'll learn, or be able to maintain a steady weight without outside help, but the evidence so far suggests that isn't the case image Fortunately I have quite a low tolerance of my own podginess, so I rarely put on more than about 1.5 stone before I march myself back off to lose it again. Just aiming for 1stone this time!

• I need to lose 2 stone. Can't afford SW at the moment, but know the principles, keep a food diary and weigh in at the fat club at work. But like Daffs though, after all these year I thought I'd be better at controlling my food, but I'm a yoyo dieter.

Collected TT he seems better, in fact the vet said they couldn't clean the bloody off his leg from where the drop was because "TT wouldn't let us get near him"! That my boy!!! Lol

He's eaten a few biscuits and some salmon (ive ran out of tuna!) got to go back tomorrow for a check up. My purse is now ??90 lighter!
  • Spence, the main thing will be to make sure the bike is the right size for you. Cycling won't help your running but it will help your fitness, don't use it as a substitute for a run, use it as an active recovery. Essentially a session on the turbo works as a treadmill session would for running, it will build leg strength and to some extent it will encourage a greater cadence .... To get better at running? You guessed it ... Get running image

i had had a lovely 40 mins run in the park with my pal sue who is back up running 5k after a few injuries laid her low for a while, she used the couch to 5k to build back up again slowly

we finished off with a latte and carrot cake image

fire is on, a bit of sewing and an early shift tomorrow

quick straw poll please: which washing machine do you have, would you buy it again?

needs to be A+ or A++ and preferably 1400 spin with a quick wash or sports wash setting

• Snails, the kidneys and cystitis seem quite common and equally deadly in cats, glad he is improving and still has a fair bit if fight in him!

the tuna trick was one given me by a vet, cats eat by smell primarily so if that does t entice them there is usually something amiss 

• Yea I remeber you told me the tuna trick. The house currently stinks of salmon!!!

Go for the highest spin that's the most important as your clothes will dry quicker. Mine is a 9kg which is a massive drum for one person really, and 1400 spin and I can really tell the difference from my old 1200 spin. It has a 30min quick wash which I use for my running gear.

Try AO online, and currys. They seem to have the best deals, and if you have quidco you can cash back on curry purchases
  • SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Cheers Meldy, certainly won't be replacing the running, love that too much!! Just thought of it as an extra fitness boost. I've had a word with myself & have told myself I need to put a bit more effort to try & keep upfront when at club & on our Sunday long runs.

We have a Hoptpoint think it's 1200spin if I had to replace I'd get a Bosch.

Glad to hear TT has brightened up image
  • I know all that Snaily, was asking what flavour you have image

• YumsYums ✭✭✭

I have a Bosch. Its very efficient;-) 

(((TT n snaily)))) glad he's nearly back on form

Pippi, pedestrians are a menace when on a turbot. There I wascycling along watching TdF when some little oik stepped out in front of the telly;-) I can just see Spence right now

Sluggy, did the man turn you on with his electrickery ?

Ah, farfar, you're an accountant, I'd expect nothing less than you needing some numbers to crunch even when you runimage 

(((Daffs))) Do as Podds says, stay under your blankyimage 

Coco, the running will be good to shape up and great for your motivation too. Just so long as you run past the cake shop;-) 

We are losing our most experienced team member on promotion. My unofficial mentorimage  We now have 4 out of 6 posts vacant but I still haven't secured one extra day each week to go full time. Bonkers. 

• "Miss, is the printer working yet?" 

"No, we're waiting for the man to come out and fix it."

"....there's a man in there????!" 

• Yums there's anot found blank bit in your post. Sounds tough at work. 

Poor Snaily- cat. We had one with recurring liver problems, and we got to recognise the symptoms.

I have found a slightly different route which is exactly 4 miles ????. Oh, and I ran it too.????. I wonder if thsee ipad emoticons work. There's all sorts on here ...

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Lol no they don't! And I've lost my RW ones image So I can only do image. Or image orimage

3x1mike efforts at club, then a talk from our founder, although you might know her from here.....

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beating-injury/injury-q-and-a-with-physio-sarah-connors/9310.html

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Mike efforts!?

Saucyimage
  • POdds - feel the fear do it anyway wrote (see)

Morning All

More exam results from November today....both my mentees have passed and one has exceeded his expected / target grade........I'll see him today for our weekly meeting but can't tell him...

....first time I've been hamstrung by my own job's regulations!!! image

Laters - best go let SLT know the good news image

POdds - feel the fear do it anyway wrote (see)

Morning All

More exam results from November today....both my mentees have passed and one has exceeded his expected / target grade........I'll see him today for our weekly meeting but can't tell him...

....first time I've been hamstrung by my own job's regulations!!! image

Laters - best go let SLT know the good news image

Dam I double quote a lot lol. My mastery of tech.... Mentees? Is that code for your children?

Any one had a day where they cant sleep well? Tonight lacking my inhaler, getting acid reflux and then asphyxiating thru the reflux and panic about the reflux and about losing the inhaler, the tightness from not using my inhaler is like multiplied a 1000 fold by anxiety and the physical effects of acid on both side of chests. Really bad acid can give people a psudo heart attack. And to top it all off creepy noise coming from the pipe that sounded like some one knocking on something... I hope its just the pipe! Going down to check the cuboard now...

• POdds - feel the fear do it anyway wrote (see)

Do actually look at what you log Jenni?

Just curious as I also log everything but never review it - not even at the end of the year!!

If anyone asked me how many miles / kms etc I'd swum, biked or run I wouldn't have a clue for any given period of time!! 

I know it wasn't directed at me but I log stuff and generally look at it! I even put it on a site called running ahead. May switch to another site when I need a more detailed one, running ahead is QUITE detailed but doesn't let you put in altitude changes or many other forms of exercise. I can't memorize the figures beyond my best times, worst times, and how much I have improved from when I first started, first race, second race (still to have this) etc. Certainly couldn't tell you how much I did in a week without making an effort to check my records! 

• Spence wrote (see)
    Oh dear Snaily ~~~~~~~TT~~~~~~ hope he's back home this evening.

I upload & of course look at what I've done, doesn't make me any fasterimage

Podds you were supposed to be on the end of the Meldy/Nogs question!

Slimmer Workd only works if you stick with it, there's plenty of people at our group Far Far like your colleague, I wasn't going to pay any longer than I needed too so followed it to-the-letter. & I keep it off by going every couple of weeks & to sticking to the changes I made. Feel so much better for it.

I've been Georgina-ed, which is much like being Dave-d only cheaper!!! Whilst there I got a call from Mr Spence saying Phil was about to drop a load on the drive, so I've come home & moved what logs I could...in the drizzle....so hair looks shite now!!! Oh well club this eve so was never going to stay nice long!

Do you weight all your food on a scale? I need one of those but the effort required to weight every item, calculate how much cal, fat protein, carbs, sat fat and unsat fat, sugars, HDLP (high denisty lipoprotien, apparently this is the healthy form?) seems crazy. Bring on the 3d glasses that do all that for you.

I really need to start as right now I am losing weight then gaining some apparently randomly without really eating much too more or doing much more exercise or cutting back. My appetite is fine, if any thing I sometimes feel starved for some reason. Want to rule out cancer... Cause I sometimes get metal taste recently when exercising, maybe acid without other symptoms possibly.... Hopefully that and not more serious things. Why are doctors reluctant to do surgery first for acid and instead give every one meds? Wouldn't surgery fix the problem better and be safer? If I found that my calorie intake was staying roughly the same but each weekly my calorie balance was massively changing perhaps that would explain a lot of being 1lb lighter then 2lb heavier then 1lb lighter, then 1lb lighter again, I weight myself same time each day, after I have eaten cereal. 

• Slugsta wrote (see)

Afternoon,

(((TT, Snaily and Snail's bank balance))) Hope he's more like himself when you pick him up this evening.

When I see how dependent some of you guys are on your garmins, it makes me glad I never had one! We did buy one to share but that was right at the end of my running 'career' so I didn't really use it.

(((Daffs))) 

I have a garmin but I Use my phone, cant be bothered to read the manual, yet.  Plus my phone has colour! Better graphics. 

• M...eldy wrote (see)

Spence, the main thing will be to make sure the bike is the right size for you. Cycling won't help your running but it will help your fitness, don't use it as a substitute for a run, use it as an active recovery. Essentially a session on the turbo works as a treadmill session would for running, it will build leg strength and to some extent it will encourage a greater cadence .... To get better at running? You guessed it ... Get running image

i had had a lovely 40 mins run in the park with my pal sue who is back up running 5k after a few injuries laid her low for a while, she used the couch to 5k to build back up again slowly

we finished off with a latte and carrot cake image

fire is on, a bit of sewing and an early shift tomorrow

quick straw poll please: which washing machine do you have, would you buy it again?

needs to be A+ or A++ and preferably 1400 spin with a quick wash or sports wash setting

I'm reading a book by M.F from runners world  about x training which says cycling can improve your running a little bit by making your leg muscles stronger than running can and also increasing your fitness some of which the fitness increase can be taken over into your running performance because you can go at the same speed for longer if your fitter. It is also effective in meaning you can do less miles for same fitness and your legs will be fresher for races and you are less likely to get injured thus you can train more consistently thus meaning better performances. It lists many atheltes who dropped mileage from 60 to 50/40 and added in structured and specific cross training and ran pbs or new world records. But yeah if your, like me, not doing many miles its key to slowly build up first but also incorporate x-train both as a workout and as active recovery, eventually. Right now my active recovery days are walks of 2 or more miles up a semi challenging hill and back.  

• YumsYums ✭✭✭

Morningimage 

Woohooo to Podds mentees. I think m....eldy should mentor kids. Both Podds and m...elds are way too scary not to do what they say;-) 

NR,  I'm no expert but I believe weight does fluctuate daily. A more accurate picture would be seen if you weighed yourself less frequently, maybe weekly? Any particular reason for daily weighing? 

PipPippi, the link was to the mixtures pushbike song. Well done on the perfect length new route. image 

My runs are logged on garmin but it only holds the last 7 runs and I never upload anything. It said I was 8.40 miling my last mile on Tuesday and it wasn't downhill or wind assisted.

Dawggie walkie calls

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Morning

NR, I log mine on Fetch & Garmin Connect

I only weigh out my morning porridge, the good thing about Slimming World is you can eat loads.....and I mean HUGE AMOUNTS.....it just needs to be the right stuff!!

My work colleagues are agog when they see my lunch on a Friday!!!

Spence wrote (see)
    Morning

NR, I log mine on Fetch & Garmin Connect

I only weigh out my morning porridge, the good thing about Slimming World is you can eat loads.....and I mean HUGE AMOUNTS.....it just needs to be the right stuff!!
    My work colleagues are agog when they see my lunch on a Friday!!!

•  

Yums wrote (see)

Morningimage 

Woohooo to Podds mentees. I think m....eldy should mentor kids. Both Podds and m...elds are way too scary not to do what they say;-) 

NR,  I'm no expert but I believe weight does fluctuate daily. A more accurate picture would be seen if you weighed yourself less frequently, maybe weekly? Any particular reason for daily weighing? 

PipPippi, the link was to the mixtures pushbike song. Well done on the perfect length new route. image 

My runs are logged on garmin but it only holds the last 7 runs and I never upload anything. It said I was 8.40 miling my last mile on Tuesday and it wasn't downhill or wind assisted.

Dawggie walkie calls

Well I lost a pound when I hadnt done much running but had done some 9 days before then the next time I weighed myself after 6 days or so, the scales said 9st 5 well with my history of weight loss being a BAD thing as regards illness since then I have been weighing myself daily, will weight myself next monday and see where we stand. Been 9st 7 last time I weighed this week.

• YumsYums ✭✭✭

Lunch on a Friday, Spence? Do you not eat Mon to Thurs?

NR, with your history its important to keep an eye out for unexplained weight loss. Having been there myself 13 years ago and weighed around 7st 9lb, I understand that its hard not to see every ache or pain or change as something sinister. The good news is running is a great escape mentally and I'm sure it and the wonderful WAISTers have got me this far. The good news is that the further down the remission road you get, the less it becomes part of who you are and more just a plot twist in the story of your lifeimage 

• Hello all image

I thought about doing WW or SW and decided against it because I wanted to make lasting changes to my eating habits rather than "going on a diet".  I've done WW before and it worked really well but as soon as I reached my goal weight, I stopped doing what I was doing and put it al back on again. 

This time I sat down and thought through my eating habits and decided what needed to change - so basically it's around restricting alcohol to one night per week and one bottle of wine (shared w MrC); one chocolate brownie per week on a Saturday morning at Caffe Nero and preparing salads for lunch at work and healthy snacks for the rest of the week. 

We are also trying to go with less intensity on the exercise front but more consistency in the hope that we will get sick less often and be able to exercise more over a longer period of time.

I'm also writing down what I'm eating and exercising.  I could do with losing a stone and we will see if this approach works over the next few weeks.  I would really like to create "good" habits rather than bad ones for the longer term.

I've also got the motivation of an up and coming wedding image

((((((Snaily and TT)))))) - Jasper has had a UT blockage 3 times so we got to know what to look for.  It's scary and expensive so am thinking of you both and hoping he's okay now.

• Morning all. This is likely to be cut short as Mr C is going to want to go to the village shortly but I need my morning 'fix' of WAISterdom!

Snaily, VERY glad to hear that they have found what was wrong with TT, and that he is already (ahem) coming out fighting. Meldy's guidance on what to feed cats is, in my experience, spot on (as you would expect, given the source!) and if he's already eaten all your salmon, that's a good sign image)))

Slimming. My best technique is procrastination; this is what happened after that dental work. 'I'll just go and finish making those notes and fold that washing and then sit down with coffee and a biscuit'. By the time I've done all that I've usually forgotten about the coffee, and by the time I remember it's nearly time for the next meal so I might as well wait. Telling myself I can NOT have something is lethal: it's the pink elephant syndrome. 

NR, Sluggie will be along with a definitive answer, but like Yums my understanding is that weight normally fluctuates by a pound or two on a daily basis so you are really better to weigh yourself once a week. With your history, it's natural that you will be watching it like a hawk, but there's no point in alarming yourself unnecessarily. And maybe it would be more relaxing and enjoyable if you let loose of some of those numbers for a little while? You are looking for an upward trend, but there will always be daily variations in how you feel and what you can do. Listen to Yummy on the psychology of 'the rest of your life': she is a model of how to do it. 

Yep, Mr C is making those rumbling noises 'I'm ready when you are, no hurry' that mean WE ARE LEAVING NOW!image) Back soon xx

MUST SAY: WELL DONE PODDLES AND MENTEES!!! A tribute to you as well as them, without any doubt!!!!

• Morning Peeps

NR - wot Yums said - she's been there, done it, got the t-shirt and moved on.......she is our role model imageimage

Pippi - loved the kids thinking a bloke came out of the photocopier image .......although somewhere there was a load of artwork of machines with "people in them" - must see if I can find it........

Yums - that dept of yours is truly ridiculous - operating with 33% only of the required staffing levels but you can't get another day out of them.........bonkers!

Well today is Thursday and started with a nice walk on the beach with my friend and her English Setter Stella who Sharkey is truly madly in love with.........always a nice way to start the day

Mr P goes off to Switzerland tomorrow for 4 days.........allegedly to present at a conference, or so he tells me image .......the plus side is full control of the tv remote, the downside is no lie in at the weekend as I'll be on dog duty both days........

Right - final external exam today, must shoot off - laters image

• Our John Lewis 1600 9 kg washer is fab. Had all Bosch appliances when kitchen was done but none of them lasted well and had to replace washer, dish washer and tumble dryer nit long after the guarantees had expired image the JL has a sports wash, options for heat and spin speeds and a 2 yr guarantee. Been very pleased with it image

Glad TT is on the mend Snaily.  commiserations with the vets bill, Bram's will be a stonker when it arrives at the end of the month, includes a blood test for cushings as well as Danilon.  She is still on box rest but well in herself and almost sound. I've bought some 2013 hay which is less nutritious than last summers but still good quality.  Strict management of access to grass even in the Winter will hopefully keep the laminitis at bay.  She's had it before but I didn't know until after we'd got the ponies image

Two weeks today I'll be under the knife - cataract and relaxing (!) incisions. My panic mainly is I know it will hurt and my "good" eye isn't that good and I'm panicking about being reliant on it if op doesn't improve the vision in my left eye. I know worrying doesn't help and I've tried to keep busy with the ponies but too down to even ride Megs. My lovely ossbox has a flat battery because I've only used it a couple of times. Once op is out of the way I will be able to pick myself up but not in a good place at the moment.

(((( waisters ))))

• ((((Tubs)))) Waiting for things is the worst part. Once it's over, you assess, regroup and move on. Sending you lots of 'street' vibes from here. xxxx

Podds, if you have full control of the remote you KNOW you should and can go to bed early to prepare for dog duty....but you know you won't! image

Yums, did you get any chance to discuss staffing with your boss? The current situation is unsustainable, and you need to go on record (i.e. write this down and send it to her/him) that with your current staff you can do X hours of work (or X projects or whatever) and asking them to set priorities. Saying 'do it all' is not an option, so if they do not rank priorities, you will have to. Make sure you can show that you told them what can realistically be done, and what not. If they decide not to choose, it's their lookout if the wrong stuff comes first. YUCK!!!

Dryers. Avoid Bauknecht. I have had mainly Bosches and always liked those but my current dryer winds up with everything in a tiny, tightly rolled ball that goes round and round and comes out damp and crumpled. 

Nice chugging, Pippi. How splendid to have a perfect 4 miles image

Coco, after your relaxing hols, don't jump straight back in to beating yourself up! You know that slow and steady is the only way to do anything, so be nice to yourself and just adapt by bits. You'll get there. xxx

Friend is dropping by for lunch shortly, which is rather nice. And though it's grey, it's not as cold as yesterday so maybe more time in the garden. Meanwhile I have found a base layer that I let here for running in---it's saving my life, soooo nice and warm! image

• morning all

((((((((Tubbs))))))) massive hug you are SO brave

NR I do weigh myself daily but I think its a bad habit - I always follow a pattern of being heaviest monday and lowest friday - the reasons are obvious! for comparison you should use same day each week.

Luckily I've never really had weight issues and although I do need to be a bit careful now to keep where I want to be. I do tease my SW colleague but she believes if she didn't go every week she could be loads heavier, who knows.

Coco I totally agree with you - the main thing with exercise should be consistency that's what keeps us fit and healthy (hopefully). the rest is about getting better/ faster etc but thats a bonus

I don't know the make of my washing machine or tumble drier, fridge or dishwasher image 

• (((((Tubbs))))))))))

Meldy - I have an Indesit (cheap one!) but has sports wash, 7kg max load and 1400 spin.  Now had it a year as it was part of the kitchen refit and to date (cross fingers, touch wood) has been fine

LOL Jenni - I did have to go and check last night what make it was!!