working at it slowly

Comments

• IYums wrote (see)

Lunch on a Friday, Spence? Do you not eat Mon to Thurs?

NR, with your history its important to keep an eye out for unexplained weight loss. Having been there myself 13 years ago and weighed around 7st 9lb, I understand that its hard not to see every ache or pain or change as something sinister. The good news is running is a great escape mentally and I'm sure it and the wonderful WAISTers have got me this far. The good news is that the further down the remission road you get, the less it becomes part of who you are and more just a plot twist in the story of your lifeimage 

Yeah it can be challenging that way. Near the end of christmass I was expecting to gain weight but didnt despite eating more and only having walking every 2-3 days to burn it off. Then I lost a 1lb apparently on fimsy basis of one run, so it was a shock when this sunday it said 9st 5 which was another 3lb. Losing weight is good if its proportionate to your efforts. I aint certain how much I should way for 5ft 3.3 given I have put on some bulk on my arms (we are not talking crazy here, for any one else they would still regard my arms as very skinny, for me they are much more respectable looking!) but I am thinking maybe 9st or so. Luckily it may be the 9st 5 reading was just a slender day rather than a representative figure because I hadn't done enough to be losing that sort of weight in about a week!
    It can be easy to panic when the scale says much higher or lower than you KNOW is healthy for what your doing as putting on or losing weight unexplainably can both be signs of ill health. Will weight myself every monday. If in 2 weeks on monday the scales is reading 9st2-3 then I will start to panic (at rate of weight loss)! 

• Gentle Chugger wrote (see)

Morning all. This is likely to be cut short as Mr C is going to want to go to the village shortly but I need my morning 'fix' of WAISterdom!

Snaily, VERY glad to hear that they have found what was wrong with TT, and that he is already (ahem) coming out fighting. Meldy's guidance on what to feed cats is, in my experience, spot on (as you would expect, given the source!) and if he's already eaten all your salmon, that's a good sign image)))

Slimming. My best technique is procrastination; this is what happened after that dental work. 'I'll just go and finish making those notes and fold that washing and then sit down with coffee and a biscuit'. By the time I've done all that I've usually forgotten about the coffee, and by the time I remember it's nearly time for the next meal so I might as well wait. Telling myself I can NOT have something is lethal: it's the pink elephant syndrome. 

NR, Sluggie will be along with a definitive answer, but like Yums my understanding is that weight normally fluctuates by a pound or two on a daily basis so you are really better to weigh yourself once a week. With your history, it's natural that you will be watching it like a hawk, but there's no point in alarming yourself unnecessarily. And maybe it would be more relaxing and enjoyable if you let loose of some of those numbers for a little while? You are looking for an upward trend, but there will always be daily variations in how you feel and what you can do. Listen to Yummy on the psychology of 'the rest of your life': she is a model of how to do it. 

Yep, Mr C is making those rumbling noises 'I'm ready when you are, no hurry' that mean WE ARE LEAVING NOW!image) Back soon xx

MUST SAY: WELL DONE PODDLES AND MENTEES!!! A tribute to you as well as them, without any doubt!!!!

Yeah one thing that is helping gentle chugger is these new strength workouts especially for runners I have started. Making up the three different kinds of workouts (light/heavy/power) utilising the principles Matt Fitzgerald mentions in his book is fun and during the workout I am more focused on finding out exactly what weights I need to use to do the number of reps he says for resistance exercises of a given type of workout, and whether I need to use dumbells in hands for the weight resitance exercises so that the max I do with either 2 or 1 fewer than perfect form respectively is about the same as the number of reps I do for the resistance exercises. Rather than beating what I did before!

Some lesser used moves like the standing multi crunch, good mornings, standing chest press, walking lunges, steups, side steups, calf raises using a step, toe dips etc are used and it makes a difference from bicept curls. Making up different workouts for each category and making each workout balance out another workout of the same type is quite interesting and learning how to do the workouts as recommended, what settings to use etc to do so is very interesting and takes my mind of the progress side of my running and fitness training.

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Yums, I only eat lunch at work on a Friday ! image

SW isn't a diet. It's being sensible. Although I don't hold with the eating of sweetener.

Mr Spence is off work & in bed with manflu & a bad back. I have taken him soup. Not sure how long this kindness will last ????

Where in Switzeland Podds?
  • afternoon

Another trip to the vets, TT is quiet but seems to be ok, he scoffed his food this morning.  Vet has given him anti'bs for the next week, 2 per day.  Oh that will  be fun trying to get them down his neck!

Washer is a Hoover!

coco- that seems a good plan on the healthy living.  Eveything in moderation (I dont live to this rule, but I wish I could!)

(((Tubs)))

Today I have my first paid for solicitor appointment, everything is about to kick off again, but for the last couple of months I've had my head in the sand about sorting out the finances and stuff.  Finally pulled my head out, dusted off the sand and ready to start fighting.  The abuse has already started as i did give him a heads up I was seeing the solicitor today to start proceedings.  I'm not sure I'm going to last the full month of dry january at this rate!

• Spence - Bern (I think!) - what a bad "wife" I am !! image image

~~~~~~~TT~~~~~~~~~~~ hopefully as the ABs bring the infection under control he'll start feeling more like himself overall

On the "diet" front.....in the end as someone very wise said "the best diet is the one that you can stick to" and in the end the science is beyond basic:

calories in calories out = gain weight

calories in

• calories in greather than calories out = gain weight

calories in less than calories out = lose weight

A calorie is a unit of energy

All the published diets and groups etc simply go about this in different ways.....it's money for old rope for them but if their support helps people obtain healthier weights then you can't argue with it (not even me!)

And of course it is worth remembering that nutrition is a different matter again e.g. you can be overweight but malnourished (when the terms are used correctly!)

• Snaily, one good thing is that your solicitor could instruct no communication except through solicitors. That has a double edged sword, its stops him being abusive directly, the downside (the one I went with) was I grew to fear every letter and email from the solicitor. On the whole, and probably more in your case, the 'talk only through solicitors' approach is better. And if he wants a meeting, make it with solicitor(s) present preferably at their office.

I have no idea what washing machine or dryer I have, w machine is a bit too small really, when it goes, I'll get one of those 9k ones with sports wash, most likely a Bosch as i've never had bad experiences with other Bosch stuff. German engineering and all that ... (probably made in a small village in Taiwan)

Cycling definately does not directly help running. It uses the muscles differently. However, it still helps build leg muscle mass, capileries and Mitacondria which when running help with endurance. You just need to run, and run slowly, to make the new muscle adapt to running. 

(((TT)))

Diets? Hmmmm   Eat good quality stuff, small quantities on a regular basis, dont eat more than you use, excersise long enough including a few harder sessions to burn a good amount. Thats what I do. It doesnt always work (I wont drop beer of the food list) And some days after particularly long weeks (50+) I can eat like a horse.

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Oooh Bern is lovely image

When I was at college we had the opportunity to work abroad & I ended up in Bern for the summer working here....

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.brasseriebaerengraben.ch/&prev=search

I hope the bears aren't still in the pit opposite image

Will you ask Mr Podds to go & have a look please!!
  • Eat less, move more and whilst I am handing out odd words, surgery should be a last resort and not a first resort

that was a long old day and a half, spent most of the afternoon lookng for an email I sent in December, eventually located it having sent it in october which is why I couldnt find it, doesn't time fly image

tubs, hope the furry ankle biter is feeling better, it's a right pain trying to keep weight off of  ponies when their noses are so close to the ground!

• Visited another school first thing - always interesting to pinch ideas. It was good as it was also the first time in over 7 years that I have seen someone teaching my year group (other than a phonics session)

Then home for a quick bite of lunch before the long dentist session. It was fine. Got back to school just as they were coming in.

The supply teacher in the next door class had been to school with me. She recognised me - not vice versa. When she had gone (very quickly ...) everyone was shocked that we had been in the same year - she hasn't aged as well as me! image

My jaw is throbbing a bit ... not sure if pork chops will go down well ... I fancy soup really.

Our washing machine is a Zanussi. It's been pretty good but occasionally the switches don't work and Mr P has to take the panel off and clean connections. We think it's nearing the end as it sometimes stops for no reason mid-cycle. Mind you, we all have different ideas as to how long we've had it. Mr P thinks we got it when we redid the kitchen (when was that? over 8 years ago) and Pippette says we have had it since she started to use a washing machine herself - well over 10 years.

• My old one was a whirlpool, I left it in the flat when I moved and I reckon I had it 20 years, it was hardly overworked but still an impressive age, better than the donkey i purchased with the cottage !!

so, Wolf Hall, who did, who didn't and what do we think??

• I did. It was pretty good. I did wonder how you'd get on if you hadn't read the book or didn't know your Tudor history.

in role reversal, Pippette has gone to Tesco, got me ibuprofen  and Scotch broth.

• I haven't read the book and found it ok, my history may be a little rusty of the period but it soon same back even tho the time line jumped around somewhat, I think I shall persevere with it!

• There were a couple too many modern day references for my liking but that may be the style of the book

• YumsYums ✭✭✭

I've recorded it so no spoilers please.

Woo hoo to well aged teachers image and boo to sore gobsimage 

M...eldy, Wasn't it Anne widdecombe, when asked to write a diet book, said it would only have two pages with eat less on one page and move more written on the other.

Consistency is the way to go, coco

(((Tubbs)))) Awwww, megs would love to nuzzle up to you and cheer you upimage 

Podds, enjoy the few days just you and your boys image 

• It would only have spoilers if you paid zero attention In history classes

i am sure if Damien Lewis featured in my history classes things would have been a whole lot different

• And Brian Cox for science image it still pretty much goes over my head, but when he mentioned a proton it did trigger a vague memory of hearing about them at some point in school image Or is it a car? 

((( Pippi ))) hope the tooth has settled down

((( TT and Snaily )))

Apologies for my earlier minor meltdown, have given myself a good kick up the proverbial.  What will be will be, but I wish it was over!! I'm much better at coping when I'm sorting things out for myself rather than relying on others to do it right!  Eek!!

the ankle biter is on box rest for the foreseeable Meldy, she's almost sound but the new thinking is no exercise for at least a month once sound as the laminae are still healing and vulnerable to further damage.  

(((( waisters ))))

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Morning

Tubbs, I think you're perfectly intitled to the odd melt down with what you are having to go through. ((((((Tubbs)))))
  • ((((Tubs)))) Wot Spence said! This just isn't the nicest time for you, inevitably. Hope the little lady starts feeling better soon, though, she must have been pretty uncomfy with that laminitis. (BTW, yesterday I was trying to send you 'sterkte' vibes, not street vibes---bliddy spellcheck doesn't even speak Dutch!!!)

((((Pippi's gob)))) Hope it's feeling better this morning. The soup was probably a good choice last night, but mouths heal fast so hopefully it will be easier from here. 

Oooh, Bern---one of my favourite cities! And Spence, I think the bears probably still ARE there. They are the town mascot or something, and I think they are a bit like the ravens in the Tower: you know, as long as they are there the town is safe or something. Although I stand to be corrected by Mr P!

Glad to hear about Wolf Hall. I've recorded it at home, so will see it next week. The promo material was fascinating, interviews with the actors etc. One of those where you already know what's going to happen (or if not, a quick peek at wikipedia will give you the plot) and it's all about how it's done. Mark Rylance is meant to be superb. 

Cold, grey and still here. We are going to Bergerac---a giant metropolis with things like traffic lights. I hope we can stand the culture shockimage Ten people to lunch tomorrow (my alumni group, I just keep it ticking over during the winter) so have to do some shopping. 

Papers are full of the ECB decision yesterday. It means the pound (in which I am paid) is now up to 1.32 against the Euro, so now I have lost only 15% on the value of what I paid in, instead of 20-25% as in the last few years. (In 2004 it was 1.53.) I guess that's cause for a weak hurrah....

• Morning All

((((Tubbs))) - Spence expressed it perfectly!

Is it just me or can everyone else imagine Meldy as a demure school girl in history lessons.........I just can't get the image image

Chuggs - a 5-10% improvement sounds like a cause for a party imageimage

Today - I am mostly trying to do a thousand things..........

Can someone remind me to go home to the dogs at lunchtime please? It's usually Mr P's gig on a Friday but he's currently in a taxi on the M25 I believe.......

Laters

• I recorded Wolf Hall and started watching it yesterday but lost interest.  I haven't read the books but I did study that period for A-level history.  Dunno why it didn't appeal on this occasion as things like that normally do.

We are box-setting Criminal Minds and are half-way through Season 4 at the moment.  Maybe Wolf Hall just didn't compare favourably!!

Podds - remember the dogs at lunchtime!

Have a good friday image

• DLDL ✭✭✭

Morning

I have made it home - I think I am now inducted

(((((sorely gobs, unexplained weight loss, poorly hosses, dehydrated kitties, nervous operation waiters and other WINs)))))))

Strictly Come Dancing Live Show was fab - u - lous. It's a modern day reinvention of pantomime. Jolly good family fun - if you like that sort of thing. Those who watched the TV version will be amazed to hear that Simon Webb won this time - his Argentine Tango was amazing.

FC6 spent the day with OH yesterday and apparently all went well. OH is now out trying to think  of  presents for her 16th. I've suggested they go out shopping together on her birthday so she can choose for herself and it will give them something to do!

Watched Wolf Hall last night - read the books and it's interesting to see how it is being adapted for telly. I can't see it living up to the likes of Criminal Minds etc Coco. Now I don't want to offer any spoilers, but I suspect heads will roll.

Happy Friday one and all

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Afternoon,

Podds - dogs! Well done to you and your mentees. When will they get to know their results?

(((Tubs and Bram)))

(((TT and Snaily))) I think it sounds a good idea to stipulate contact only via sols - unless that would push the bill up to - even more -  astronomical levels

DL, glad you enjoyed the SCD show, I love the TV prog and have always wondered whether the roadshow is any good. Also glad to hear that OH and FC6 got on well, that's a very good start.

Meldy, we had a 'Beko' washing machine put in when the kitchen was done, our builder recommended it as he has one of the same make. It has some good programs and we are pleased with it - but it is early days yet.

NR, I absolutely agree with Yummity (I have a professional background but not the personal experience of the 'Big C'), weighing once a week is more than enough. Even without that, you will know if clothes are getting loose etc.

(((Pipps))) I hope the toof is feeling better today.

Coco, I think you are wise to look at building long-term good habits rather than looking for short-term gains - in weight loss as with running.

Having started to improve, MS was really unwell again yesterday. He saw the GP last evening and is now on a course of steroids for an exacerbation of his asthma. I'm feeling quite a lot better and even , almost, have a voice. I skipped aquagym but managed to take SM shopping. We are supposed to be out at a quiz this evening, don't think MS will make it though image

I tried to put a 'smiley' in the para above and now something very strange has happened to the post! I don't know whether it will disappear when it is posted...

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxxx

• Podds if you've forgotten you may just prevent leaks and bottom explosions if you go now! 

Lovely letter arrived today cancelling next weeks pre op assessment!!! Flights, animal care and hotel booked! Fortunately I've managed to reinstate it otherwise it was changed to the Monday before the op!

staggers off into the distance clutching brandy ( counts as cross training, I stagger fast !)

(((( waisters ))))

• THanks Tubbs image - luckily I remembered image Just as well since although reluctant to go out initially and then confused as to why he was out there.......number 3 did eventually remember that he did indeed need a big wee image

Crumbs Tubs - you should write a book about your trials and tribulations........so frustrating that to them you are just a case number (apparently in suspended animation at their beck and call) and they just can't appreciate that in fact you are a real person living a real life.......

Sluggy - both boys know now but I've not seen either..........between head down in the office and attending to year 9 exam morals (they've had enough having had exams all week poor little things.........not image) I've not caught up with them...

• Oops - hit submit unintentionally

Meant to say glad you are feeling better Sluggy but sorry for MS - please give him a virtual hug from me from a very safe distance.....

• Gosh a few hugs needed round here! ((((()))))

Glad they reinstated your pre-op Tubs. Very vexing to have things cancelled at short notice but especially when you're not exactly round the corner from the hospital!!

An evening of solitary tidying for me tonight. Been at work all wee and Mr Daffs glum and also has a sore knee, hacking cough, rotten stomach and now is dizzy too. All seemingly unrelated, hospital yesterday so has meds for various things but not exactly in full on tidying mode!! He's out playing a gig tonight (for work) so I'm taking the opportunity to make the place look lived in!

• Evening

I have been AWOL for the last few days.

I’ve been Home to Winchester to Marcham to Swindon to Home.

I’ve had a lovely few days, driving has been hassle free, weather much better than predicted, and caught up with family as well as learning a new skill for sewing stuff. This retirement stuff is ok dontcha know image

I have spent the last half hour or so reading back, but retained little apart from the discussions re weight loss, getting cats to eat, inconsiderate rescheduling by NHS (don’t get me started!), and idiotic ex’s!

Snaily, I would just ignore him, put him in the tank with the other piscine persons and turn yer back. You are in control here, you can easily change your number(s) and email and/or block him there and on other media.

(((poorly WAISTers)))

Next month is a sort of coming of age for us WAISTers - we’ll be old enough to go to big school, we can’t let this go by without some sort of recognition. Now is the time to start to sort out a meet up. Suggestions? When? Where?