Sub 3h15

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    So MsE, you weren't really injured after all? image. Great news!
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Minni - No no really the mcl is not quite right but the fizz says my strength is right up there so I can run but not on a surface that might challenge it laterally. I'll happily run forwards on the flat! image
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I am doing bath. Not sure what the target will be, but I guess 1.20 or 1.21 would be great.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

2:52 you can't be serious Joolska, that's insane

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Mse - I damaged medial ligaments a few years ago. I was able to get back to easy running pretty quickly, anything quick would stir it up for a long time afterwards. But you will get pretty fit and be able to run a strong marathon off lots of easy running.

Remind me not to pick a race with jools over longer than 1/2 mara.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Cheers TR. That's reassuring to know. image
  • I am not prepared to pin myself down to a race target, but will freely admit to weighing 8st 5.

V. glad to hear MsE is only a bit injured and can run again!

• 01/03/15 - Bath Half Marathon - sub 87 - MsE 
    08/03/15 - Surrey Half Marathon - Sub-90 - G-Dawg 
    14/03/15 - The Spring Shakespeare Marathon - 3:10 PMJ 
    14/03/15 - The Spring Shakespeare Marathon - Must enter GUL 
    15/03/15 - Loughborough Half Marathon - sub 1.24.52 - CC2 Speedy Goth
    12/04/15 - Brighton Marathon - Sub-3.19 - G-Dawg 
    12/04/15 - Brighton Marathon - 3:04:xx - FINgers 
    19/04/15 - Manchester Marathon - Sub-3 - Knight Rider 
    26/04/15 - VLM - Sub 3:15 (for GFA) - GoldenEagle 
    26/04/15 - VLM - sub 2.52 - Joolska 
    26/04/15 - VLM - sub 3:10 - MsE
    26/04/15 - VLM - sub 2.58 - CC2  Speedy Goth

• SJ - Yes, 3:14:59, but I've come to the conclusion that it's not a conservative target for me and, as a 15min PB, it's still being greedy.
    Minni - joining the tri club?!
    Wool - RR? Earth humour? I usually try to get to bed by 10pm.
    GE - good set of reps in this cold weather.
    MsE - great news! Just be careful.
    Some scary targets! As for weight, I have crept up to somewhere near 12st image However I am 6'3".
    20 miles d&d. Legs felt very tired at the start, but feeling strong by the end image 5M @ 9:19, 10M @ 8:39 and 5M @ 8:02. Cut-back week here I come!

• 01/03/15 - Bath Half Marathon - sub 87 - MsE 
    14/03/15 - The Spring Shakespeare Marathon - 3:14:59 Gul Darr (entered!)

• Gul, see you at the start line then, good entry.

Jools, 2:52 is fast but only 41 seconds faster than Frankfurt. Is there some thought that London is a harder course or you have reached a plateau?

Good evening last night at the club awards: picked up first vet (third year in a row but probably last as a few have turned 40 since), second male (should have been sixth but two moved away from the club and two picked up big injuries) and third age graded. Looks like I'll have to concentrate on the age graded in the future.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Good 20, Gul, and good to see you have entered the SSM

MsE - as TR said - (I had arthroscopy on medial lig, was back to easy running fairly soon (did static bike + X-trainer in meantime) and returned in good strong fettle) 

regards knee - took a heavy tumble on said joint this morn, but fortunately (after a few seconds gathering my wits), realised no twisting, just fairly severe crack on kneecap - leggings ripped, but able to complete the 21 miles (this was about 6 miles in).  Will teach me to concentrate  . . . . . .

• Some good targets being set , mine is a bit too far away yet to pick a number ,depends on how the training goes really.

Gul- you can do it but only if you borrow a garmin to hold yourself back at the start !image

PMJ- good award haul image Jools isn't aiming for 2:52 she is aiming SUB 2:52 image don't think anybody would bet against her now image

ICY parkrun this morn on tired legs got 19:50 for 11th and took 2 scalps in a sprint finish which was fun image splits 6:32/ 6:32/ 6:24/ 5:06 for the last bit. The whole local football team turned out for it too so much busier than usual .Heartrate monitor worn and 193 bpm at the line/176 average for the run.

74 miles for the week .

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Bert's Bricks 21.1k (that's a half marathonimage)today for me.  Start time 6:30, prayers before the off, a soft-top Porsche as the the pace car, verbal instructions of which way to go, warnings of pot-holes.  Race entry R90 or less than 5 pounds.  Uniquely you can pick up a brick at the brick factory at halfway and carry it home to earn  a 6-pack of beer.   

My idea was to stick to 7:38 pace to come home in 1:40.  I started a bit fast and after a few miles settled to my intended pace.  It started to get hot because of no shade once we left town and I started to fall off the pace.  Water stations were welcome - a sip to drink and then pour the rest over me.  There was a headwind on the homeleg which caused my pace to drop even more.  Things improved once I got back to the shaded and sheltered roads of town and pace picked up again.  I crossed the line in 1:40:51. That's an all-right result considering I've had more or less a year off then a slow steady build up and considering the environmental factors. Progress being made.

• Bike It, just tell us a few more tales about heat and sun as we all slide round on ice.

• Bike it - good pacing but we need to know did you get that 6 pack of beer?image

• Gul - well done on taking the plunge and good luck with the target.  I do hope you didn't do that run this morning but rather fear you did.  You must have set off the wrong side of 4am?

Jools - I have been away from the thread for 18m or so until very recently.  When I saw your target on the list above I did a little digging and soon found details of your two sub 3's in Frankfurt via a link to your blog you posted on here back in October.  Belated congratulations.  I can't think of anyone more deserving of such success after all the work you have put in and the frustrations you have had along the way.  Good luck with the new target - it must feel like the sky is the limit now!

PMJ - congrats on all those gongs!

Resting today. Hoping to bag my first 20 of the year tomorrow. image

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

nice running this morning Leslie, Birch, Gul (practically last night!). I am starting to feel like I want to get a parkrun in again having done ca 30 last year in a concerted effort to get to my 50 t-shirt 

I was at the same awards as PMJ last evening. Picked up 2 things he didn't. 1, a mug to commemorate best running crash of the year (I ran in to a medical car at a Yateley 10k), and 2. a hangover. The 2nd of those made the icy RR pretty unpleasant. 18 with 10 at mara pace tomorrow. Will stay off the larger this evening!

• sscssc ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

ssc, P&D is quite subtle and many miss this first time round. Don't look at the long run and assume the week is built round the long run. Week 2 of the up to 55 has a 13 mile run with 8 at marathon pace, so for 3:15 that is 8 at 7:26 pace which is a step up from the 8:30 pace you are doing at the moment. As soon as you get into the body of the plan then you get a week such as 9 with 5 at HMP, a 10 miler and 16 with 10 at MP. These are not easy weeks and make a steady 20 miler seem easy. The first meso-cycle of P&D isn't the hardest and is supposed to ensure an even keel for the later cycles.

If you follow P&D pretty much to the letter it will be a hard campaign and hopefully a rewarding one. If you can't follow it exactly then I'd agree with what you are hinting at and stretch the long runs if possible.

Starting to see the P&D plan unfold - this week has been as follows:

Sun - 17m Mp10%

Tues 5 easy

Weds 10 general aerobic

Fri 9 with 4 hmp

Sun 17m mp10%

Feeling challenged but motivated

• Ge-goodluck with the 1st 20

Wool- 18 with 10 at mara pace with a hangover , that's a tough one ! Well done on the award though, nice to win something  image

SSC- tough week that !

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

No long run for me this weekend, did it in the week. That just left a 4 mile blast to do.

TRAINING PB!! Averaged 6.34 pace! Splits were 6.26, 6.40, 6.40, 6.28.

I know many of you can do that in your sleep but it's a big deal for me right now, a real confidence boost.That's a big TPB by a long way for that route. This 4 times per week plus strength sessions at the gym seems to be working.

GD

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Leslie - I left the brick at the factory.  I'm a non-drinker these days.  If it had been in exchange for the same weight of chocolate then of course I would have taken it.  Probably I would have taken a sack of cement though if that was the exchangeimage.  I did win a silver medal awarded to the first 100 finishers, but not so difficult in a small regional race.

Good work G-Dawg - not sure I can get those splits even on my bike these days.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    21st at the mids xc which is 20 better than I've managed before. Team gold too image Ankle a bit sore now but only minor so relieved.
  • Great news from MsE - look forward to seeing you at VLM.

Also good to see Gul bagging a nice 20 and to hear of the prize winners at Datchet(?)

So go on BI - did you bag the 6 pack?

How did you get on down in Brighton today RFJ - I was down with younger Lorenzito who was competing in the u15s race. Looked to be lovely conditions for a quick run round the park!

I'm still on and off the bench with a sore thigh - decided to head out for an easy 4 miler this morning as it was just a dull ache, but it's still definitely not 100% (or even close). Will probably take a rest day tomorrow to be on the safe side and see how it is next week - fortunately I'd managed to get my Jantastic quota in with the various commuting runs.

So, a little bit down but trying to cheer myself up by reading Bob de la Motte's Runaway Comrade and making plans for the rest of the year so here goes:

01/03/15 - Bath Half Marathon - sub 87 - MsE 
    14/03/15 - The Spring Shakespeare Marathon - 3:14:59 Gul Darr (entered!)
    29/03/15 - Cranleigh 15 - sub 1:45 - Lorenzo
    26/04/15 - VLM - sub 3:15 (and enjoy it!) - Lorenzo
    31/05/15 - Comrades - sub 9 - Lorenzo

• Jools - x-post. Wow! Another fab performance from you - at this rate 2015 will be even better than 2014.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done Jools and the icy parkrunners. I ran with thick head and finally had to succumb to the might of junior OO who ran a speedy 18:54. The first of many beatings I suspect.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hard day at the XC Champs today, Yes lorenzo it did look nice till you started running it, 1358 ft of asscent in 15k (9.18m) not the greatest of time in just under 1:15. but had done plenty of walking and a short run with Mrs RFJ as we stayed overnight last night and spent the morning on the coast....

I am not adding to the list as the only races I am really racing is Ryde 10m next Sunday and Salisbury 10m on 08/03

I have 3 20m races planned (Bramley 20 / Cranleigh 21 and Compton 20) but will be segments of MP in these or progressive blocks...

Take care all,

• How is it you add a line in again? Thanks

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shift and return
  • Did my LSR yesterday, a fairly brutal 17 or so miles. Lots of hills and mud, the frozen country roads offered little relief. It's good to suffer on a run every now and again!

01/03/15 - Bath Half Marathon - sub 87 - MsE

14/03/15 - The Spring Shakespeare Marathon - 3:14:59 Gul Darr (entered!)

29/03/15 - Cranleigh 15 - sub 1:45 - Lorenzo

26/04/15 - VLM - sub 3:10 - Sandy Balls

26/04/15 - VLM - sub 2.58 - CC2 Speedy Goth

26/04/15 - VLM - sub 3:15 (and enjoy it!) - Lorenzo

31/05/15 - Comrades - sub 9 - Lorenzo