working at it slowly

Comments

•  

Next month is a sort of coming of age for us WAISTers - we’ll be old enough to go to big school, we can’t let this go by without some sort of recognition. Now is the time to start to sort out a meet up. Suggestions? When? Where?

We don't have to do SATs do we???

((((Tubs))) you are allowed to have a meltdown - and it's better to have it here.

Oh yes, let's meet up. I am free and easy! (but not as much as the retired ...)

• Yee haa to a meet up for graduating to big school - brill idea Sue image

Big boo hiss no to SATs image

Had a very peaceful evening with my 12 paws........off to bed shortly and then hopefully the rain will have stopped for tomorrow's walk and then a bike ride

And in a couple of weeks we're having a club day out to swim in the olympic pool in London which might be followed by the odd glass of wine........ image  I do like my tri club image

Sweet dreams all

Hope it isn't too busy Melds - although I guess there's little hope of that on a Friday night image

• Meant to say if peeps are up for it to set a date "now" as it is so difficult to get people together due to work, family and event commitments.........

• Stratford Triimageimageimage

Fun for everyone! image

• Dr Daffs wrote (see)

Stratford Triimageimageimage

Fun for everyone! image

Dr Daffs wrote (see)

Stratford Triimageimageimage

Fun for everyone! image

England isnt that easy for me to get to... image

• did 2 actual workout this week of running strength exercises working my abs and legs and rear upper body muscles following workouts I made up from the principles in Matt Fitzgerald cross training book. I also managed to do 1 mile on the eliptical in 9.52 it started out as just being 10 minutes free style but after about 3-4 minutes I noticed it would be a good challenge to do a mile in 10 minutes or less, harder than doing that pace on the treadmill by far, yet less stressfull relatively for the quads I am watching! next time i go on the eliptical will be an easy session of 25 mins I think followed by an easy session of 40 mins the next time after that. 

• Zooming through as 10 people for lunch today so lots to do. Will return later to relax in the warmth of the WAISter lounge but glad all doggies have performed as expected, FC6 is off to a good start, and Tubs managed at least to avoid the total crash of all her plans for the pre-op!!!

Happy Saturdays, all. xxx

• See Daffs is drunkenly posting in the wee small hours ... I'd be up for it though (and it's a cold sober morning). I've got the Aldi tri-suit ...

Lovely long(ish) run in the cold sunshine - bit windy once I got round the corner to the Irish Sea into the headwind ...

• A waisterfest in Chuggyland would be lovely image

industrious morning chez Tubs fetching hay to stock up, then mucking out for what seemed like an eternity when we got back! 

Mr Tubs is checking flights to Florida for dates post op, only problem is that if we do go I won't want to come back! Had to be dragged back here kicking and protesting loudly in November. Might just look into green cards and such.  Megs would probably need two seats image

((((( waisters )))))

• Afternoon All

Tubbs - I know you loved Florida but although not wanting to dampen spirits I feel honour bound to point out that holidaying and living are wildly different things........

People think my life in Italy was so exotic because they think of their Italian or European holidays but at the end of the day we still had sh*te weather on occasions, got ill, had to go to work and pay the bills, do the supermarket shopping (which soon seems much less exotic!) and found some people we liked and others we didn't........... really life wasn't that different because it was living not holidaying.......

Having said that there were of course opportunities there I don't have here (and vice versa)......and I don't regret my time there

Long very cold walk on the beach with the boys first thing so decided not to cycle - there's a biting wind and although I'm well padded and have the correct kit I just knew I'd freeze to the core..........the penalty was 90 mins on the turbo with Dalziel and Pascoe image

So shower and lunch now followed by another dog walk and then swimming with a meal in the pub across the road afterwards........(now those are things I didn't have in Italy - dogs and public swimming pools!!)

• Good old NHS, not considering the effect their random actions have on the patient.  Glad you got it reinstated Tubbs.  And I agree, you're entitled to feel nervous.

Hugs to all poorly/crocked waisters and their fams.  I've so far managed to keep Mr O's germs at arms length.  He's on the mend thank goodness.

I broke my parkrun virginity this morning.  Roll on 2 weeks for the next one (am working next Saturday).  Absolutely shattered my expected time of 45 minutes, finishing in 41:04.  Running with other peeps is so much more fun.

Laters from a tired but not yet stiff Onesie who has to go do the ironing.

• 10k in 41.04? Wow you're nearly at winning amatuer race meet standard between running clubs... I wish I was that fast.

• Park run is 5k..,

I have purchased a new washing machine, by Thursday teatime I will have washed everything bar the GPO and FGO
  • What did you go for. We've been window shopping fridges and freezers. Currently have separate mid height ones that don't seem to exist now.

going out for a Chinese soon to our local for Pippette's birthday earlier this week. That's a bit of a rambling sentence, but never mind!

• M...eldy wrote (see)
    Park run is 5k..,

I have purchased a new washing machine, by Thursday teatime I will have washed everything bar the GPO and FGO

M...eldy wrote (see)
    Park run is 5k..,

oh then that isnt that great as I did 39.27 up a massive hill in attrocious conditions without much training.  On that matter my quads still have there bad days, today appears to be one but they are overal getting in the right direction it just feels so slow,cant wait till I feel ready to start building up from 6 miles a week or so right now can only run, a small distance of 0.5-2 miles every 12-14 days due to protecting qauds and I run at pace in between easy and tempo, start of the run is slower than easy, middle is like easy, and end is like slightly closer to tempo than easy but some where in the middleish.

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Well done on the parkrun Will image

I too parkrunned, icy & muddy had to go over the grass at parts due to ice....however each mile slightly faster, well pleased under the conditions!
  • NR .. many parkruns are varied terrains and will present challenges to many people

If you are still only able to run for 1/2 a mile or so every 2 weeks then you are far far from being able to build up to any distance

• I have swimbled.........pace building sessions tonight image

Also had a nice spinach and ricotta lasagne afterwards in the pub looking over the lights of Dover harbour reflected in the sea and the stars above.........who knew Dover could be so "romantic"

Well done to the park runners including ODIWGT who I gather did her first one today?

Yay...........

• I had romance in Dover some 20 years ago, Podds image. Well, maybe romance is not quite the right word for it, ahem, image. But I had some good times and learnt to windsurf there image.

Onesie - congrats on your first ParkRun and a very respectable time to boot.  Good to hear that you're hooked and looking forward to the next one.

We ran first thing and then met up with MrC's youngest brother, sis-in-law and our nephew about and hour and a half's drive from where we live -meeting them halfway basically.  It was a lot of fun particularly as our toddler nephew has a rapidly evolving vocabulary and imagination.  I never knew sticks could be so interesting or that the "gruffalo child" lived in a wood in the Cotswolds.....image  Tired now though and looking forward to a peaceful day tomorrow.

Happy weekends all xx

• Sorry to disappoint you coco, but the Gruffalos child lives in Delamere frost in Cheshire ... And didnt you know, there's no such thing as aGruffalo!

• Anyone else got the 'Gruffalo Soldier' earworm going on ??  no ....

bet you have now   image

• AmandaxAmandax ✭✭✭

morning all

quick pop in. just not had time to come in here much. Work very busy and not great. Home ok though eldest stressed and hard work at mo. Running is ticking over but Achilles not playing the game. I am however spence keeping up Jantastic! 

Well done on PR onesie!!

• YumsYums ✭✭✭

Morningimage  

I made several attempts yo post yesterday but browser kept dumping it.

Well parkfunned onesieimage  As m...eldy said, terrain varies for parkfun. My local is fast n flat but windy. The new one starting early Feb is undulating through woods. Mud will be an issue but wind won't be

Lol At gruffalo soldier, m...eldyimage 

Dover is kinda romantic when you think of all the journeys started there, Poddsimage  

Glad you've avoided the worst of ms germs, sluggyimage I will leave the industrial size jar of Vicks out in case you're bored later

Pippi, shocking, next you'll be saying the tooth fairy doesn't exist!

NR, what M....eldy said. You should be plodding  around 3 times a week before extending distance. A longer distance irregularly causes injury.

Tubbs, won't Florida be a bit warm for the neddies?

Well done on getting round parkfun in one piece, Spenceimage  Doing the splits wouldn't be good

Dreadful short slow run yesterday. Went to see Wild at cinema with mark and heather. Good film but more thought provoking than usual hollywood stuff. Certainly felt I'd been on a emotional journey but not in a manipulative or mawkish tearful kinda way. 

Today lead marshals are running the club 10k route. Apparently that also includes me. I don't know route or area but it involves off road along the sea wallimage 

• ((((Amandax))) Sounds a bit stressy on all fronts. At times like these, keeping your head above water counts as winning! xx

Melds, just curious, but why not put the GPO and the FGO in the washer as well? image You back on the horrible schedule with nights? 

Podds, well stumbled. And I loved your description of sunset at Dover. I'm always surprised when I'm there at how lovely it is. Someone one tends to look for the cliffs, and maybe the castle, and that's it, but it is a beautiful harbour in its own right. 

Coco, that sounds like a nice family gathering! Small children are delightful and 'borrowing' them is in some ways the nicest way to enjoy them image I'm gathering get at the holiday really has restored your immunity and you're feeling properly well now? 

Sluggie, how's MS getting on now? When the lurgy strikes a second time it's often worse. Hope you are both on the mend now. And how is SB getting along in this new phase of his life? Not an easy time for anyone. xx

Well parkrunned to all who did, especially in this weather!!!

Tubs, Podds speaks wise words (as usual). Living somewhere is different from holidaying there. And of course we wouldn't want to lose you to Florida!!! If you like it that much, maybe a timeshare so you could have your own base there to enjoy at intervals? But really moving over would be a big change. 

Heard from Nogs. HL is doing well, knee in a brace, no pain but also not much  movement for now. They don't think any permanent damage has been done, and hope she won't need an op, but will see the hospital again this week for the formal advice. Nogs himself has had a chest infection image but is on the way up now. He sends his best to everyone and will pop back in soon. 

Lunch yesterday was nice, but in the end only 6 instead of 10: one couple got bronchitis overnight Friday, and one set out for their 2-1/2 hour drive (I am awed by people's loyalty, to do that kind of drive just for a lunch!) but turned back after half an hour because the roads were impossibly icy. Twas a nice time, though, very convivial. And Monty was the star of the show, SUCH a charmer, and doesn't he love the attention!

Very cold here, -5. And in the country it FEELS cold, with no heat leaking from cars, houses etc. Neighbour's cat has taken refuge in our nice warm house. About to to to church, wearing: thermal base layer, cotton polo neck, cotton sweater, light fleece, winter coat, scarf. And I won't be too hot.  Nothing like a nice medieval church for refrigeration image

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Morning

((((((Amandax))))))

((((HL & Nogs)))))

((((Anyone else)))))

Have a good run Yums! 8 for me today image
  • Morning chums image

Excellent parkrunning Onesie! Are you hooked now? will you be there every week? A couple of my friends did their first park run yesterday - absolutely convinced it was going to take them over an hour and they'd be last - needless to say it didn't, and they weren't image walked most of it and are now planning to do the couch to 5k image

As for me... er... I haven't run all year...

Off for a nice walk somewhere today though, and the sun does actually appear to be shining so a good start!

Back to be more sociable later - should really get out of bed...

• morning all , and yes still on the planet.image.

Not a lot going on at the moment well not too much. Youngest daughter has moved house now and lives near where she was before which is only 3+ miles from us. Tony went for his first Interview since back from Italy and starts work next Wednesday so he is a happy bunny.

You know this retiring thing I keep doing well a new park run starts 7 miles away from me in two weeks time so just maybe ....imageimageimage.

heading down Retford in a couple of weeks for a wedding , then end March heading down south again for a few days with rest of family for eldest daughters big 50 . all have a cottage for a long weekend so should be fun.

Scott has a place in the UTMB so have ten days booked in Chamonix .

I think a Waister get together would be nice to do again but rather fancy somewhere off shore may be the flat lands or France we could all camp in someones garden.image.

more coffee on ..

hope all waister and families get over there own problems (((((((((((())))))))))

will call back later .( I hope )

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    8 miles done. I'm k-nackered.

Good to see you Westie image
  • Morning All

WB Westie

Chuggy - given your description of dressing for church I'm afraid I'd give it a miss image

Good to hear HL is on the road to recovery and hopefully it will be just a matter of time image

Can I just say.......it's frickin cold out there.........just stumbled in from a short bike and I now need to get warm.....shower, rug and HWB for me image

Laters

• Hey

I'm new to the forum and to running! So thought I'd bob on here to say hi! I'm currently beginning week 4 of the C25k plan, hoping to get lots of good tips from the forum image