working at it slowly

Comments

• (((Podds))) good advice from chuggs there.

4 12 years ago I actually was lying drunk in a gutter. Thank God I don't have to do that anymore.: ) but I have had so many accidents and injuries since becoming sober. Maybe the alcohol destroyed my sense of balance. I have more trouble walking in a straight line now than I did then haha!

Jenfar- bleurgh Monday over. Happy Tuesday to you: )
  • DLDL ✭✭✭

Afters

* rant warning.......

I blinking hate the 'social work' team. FC6 arrives yesterday and is dropped off with a cheery wave. Today there is a meeting about her in our house consisting of her social worker, our social worker, her education link person, our education link person, her 'special issue' worker and someone who was observing, OH and me and lets not forget FC6. Why not gather 9 people together to talk to someone who speaks very little English on the second day of placement. FC has been in care since September but education person has been working really hard to get something sorted but sadly hasn't been able to. I point out that I expect her to be in full time education within 5 days as it's the LA's statutory responsibility. Education person doesn't want to get her in to school without the correct level of support as it will only set her up to fail. I pointed out that by not doing anything for the past 5 months this was perhaps already the case. She thinks 5 days is over ambitious. I foresee some harsh words being spoken next week. Aaaaaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh

Lets not forget too we have the plumber and handyman in today  - tra la la - and breathe.

(((((Larry)))))) ouchy youchy. Hope the painkillers do their job

((((Tubs)))) frustrating stuff at a tie when you don't need the hassle

(((Far Far))) I feel your pain

((((Podds))) in the words of the Grange Hill Gang - Just Say No!

Get me, I only went and ran again this morning. I fully expect my legs to fall off tomorrow

Happy Tuesday one and all

• Oh dear DL - I think I missed the fact that FC6 is EAL

I take it at 16 they are trying to get her into Y11.....?  If they are, to be honest they're setting her to fail anyway this late into the GCSE cycle whatever the level of support...........

But then I don't need to tell you that

From the school point of view we also get cheesed off however as we are fully expected to magic a full time baby sitter in effect in these cases from nowhere and with no provision of funds to employ anyone.............

And of course it's the poor kid who gets caught in the middle.......

• (DL,oh and fc6))) what a very frustrating situation.

I have treadmilled. I needed that. . image but I wouldn't advise foam rollering afterwards with 2 bruised knees and one working arm. Its a wonder I haven't got yet another injury!!
  • SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Oh my life ((((((Larry))))) you poor thing!! That's horrendous! image

Oh ((((((Tubbs))))) image horrible time for you too

Oh gosh DL!!

I've done an interval session. And whisks I was out my soup make made me some carrot soup which was ace image
  • DLDL ✭✭✭

Podds - I realise it's tough for schools and I certainly don't expect miracles and I feel entirely sorry for them. I'm just annoyed that within 5 months they (the LA) haven't even managed a bit of tutoring or any educational support. It seems they say lots about protecting the vulnerable but do little to actually help at times. However have just had a phone call from education person to say she has lined up a meeting with a headteacher next week. It's amazing what can be done when someone mentions statutory rights and duty of care - mwah ha ha ha 

It seems you may be able to make lovely soup but speaking in real sentences is beyond you Spence! image

• Spence wrote (see)
    And whisks I was out my soup make made me some carrot soup 

?????

• Morning all

that was a good sleep image

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Afternoon,

Oi! Who nicked the post I made yesterday? image

(((Larry))) Ouchy indeed! Well done on your continuing AA recovery BTW.

(((Tubs))) 

~~~Podds~~~ 

~~((DL))~~ It sounds as if you have the measure of the various agencies who are being paid to help FC6. I hadn't realised that she is not a native English speaker, are there any other little challenges you forgot to mention?

Meldy, it has taken you long enough to surrender but it's good to see that the GPO has finally asserted his authority.

Sorry, I can't remember what else I read yesterday before my lost post.

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

• Good heavens (((((((waister chums)))))

(((tub)))) you sound very stressed lass. Hope everything goes well when you finally get there xx

Larry! Goodness me woman, what a palaver! Glad some lovely folks picked you up and VERY glad you are no longer in the gutter. Good on you. Hope the various bits of you heal properly!

DL, what a fiasco for that poor girl. And what an overwhelming meeting! Hope thigs get sorted pronto

((((general hugs, take as needed!)))))

• Wow what a lot of stress in here today!

Hugs for all in need (((((((((WIN)))))))))

And I'm going to add to the comments about management by mentioning that I have a new member of staff starting in 2 weeks time and no office to put him in.  Not even a desk or a chair image  And no amount of raising it politely; sending emails; stamping my foot; shouting up the food chain for the past 3 MONTHS has changed that one iota.  Not one.  I am now reviewing my diary so that I can share my desk and office with him in a hot-desking / working from home arrangement.  I actually don't mind doing that but I think it sends a really bad message about how much we value him (and me) and what we do.

But there we are...

I am dressed in running gear and waiting for MrC to come home so that we can do our regular tuesday night plod.  So far so good and onwards and upwards and all that....

• Hope you are feeling a bit better today Larry

chuggy that reminds me of a cartoon int the paper or in the Internet somewhere .... St Peter at the pearly gates holding them open for a cat who is nonchalantly tootling out in his own time, St Peter is saying 'are you coming in, or going out?'

the caption underneath reads 'why cats have 9 lives'

i have just sorted out my sewing cuboard, I have more bits that I have started over the years than I ever remembered !! and more on the go at the moment

• We have a cat like that (i.e. we have a cat!)

(((((((Larry))))))) ((((((Tubs)))))) you don't need the hassle on top of everything else.

I'm a bit 'uncomfortable' with my mouth - jaw slightly achey still. I go back on friday for the proper crown. It has put me off running a bit, as I come home feeling niggly and not wanting to irritate it more (though I suspect running wouldn't do any harm ... ) Calf is feeling better. I had a planned rest yesterday even though it felt okay. I will have every intention of going out tomorrow and Thursday (Pilates is fully booked) - but only if it's sensible.

I've also joined the Ramblers. So has Mr P but I'm not sure if he knows. I've enquired about their weekend walks as I think it would be good to get out more (post dissertation euphoria!)

(((DL,OH and FCn))) grrr to incompetent uncaring school system (and yes, I can understand not wanting her in your system too when it's all about numbers and levels)

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Oh what!! Lol didn't read that one back before posting!

I meant to say....whilst I was out my Soup Maker made me some carrot soup which was ace image
  • SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Blimey! First in!?

Morning all!

I think today's soup will be cauliflower image
  • Soup maker, Spence?  I'm interested - what have you got?

I am in the smoke today for a training course.

Laters peeps xx

• I'm working at home today which I'm rather glad about - not only is it pissing down but I slept pretty badly last night and might fall asleep on my bike!

Best get out of bed i suppose....

• Soup makers are ace. Managed to destroy my first one but new one is a cusinart and doubles as a blender too image Contemplating trying pear, parsnip and Parmesan today image

((( Larry )))

((( Pippi tooth and calf )))

((( FC6, DL and OH ))) 5 months vascilating could have been 5 months of English tuition at the very least! At least FC6 has you to help her now and make sure the relevant whoevers actually do something. Is it just me or does it seem like we have to push and battle for everything these days? Just as bad here on this grotty rock, cuts left right and centre but all seem to be where the funding is most needed! 

(((( waisters ))))

• Morning All

You may have been first in the lounge Spence but by the time you looked in I was half way through my spin class  image

Now to stay awake for a day's work........

Both my mentees really pleased with their English results and the one who is clashing with his IT teacher all the time I've arranged to work separately on his stuff in the LRC.......he'd better appreciate it!

Laters peeps

• PS Isn't a soup maker another name for a saucepan???

• morning all

don't tell me I need a soup maker! too many gadgets already image

someone has donated germs to me - hopefully I'll be over it before it starts

DL your tales from LA care are truly shocking!

only managed 2 miles this morning but streak intact - not long to go now image

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Morning,

(((Poorly and sorely peeps)))

Podds, my thoughts exactly re the soup maker. Unless Spence or tubs have got Jamie Oliver in their kitchen - in which case they have my deepest sympathy!

Tubs, you are right that it seems that we have to push for everything these days. I am a member of the UK SCS FB group and the tales of poor care make me ashamed to have been a nurse image Even where individual staff members have been helpful and caring, the system is such that years of waiting seems to be the norm.

Jenni, I hope those germs leave you alone PDQ.

MS actually managed to stay in bed until around 6am today, that's the first unbroken night he's had for almost 2 weeks.

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

• Glad to hear MS is on the mend Sluggie

I am beginning to wonder if I am invisible...........having told my colleague nicely I couldn't do the job for her, she referred it back to my LM who has sent it to me to do....

D'you know what? I am going to ignore it...........

One of the girls who works mainly reception but partly data for my LM has said to her LM that she's happily be my assistant and I'd happily have her........but her LM said "there's no money........" - guess that makes their priorities clear then doesn't it imageimage

Chuggy -  I appreciate your method but in my job the amount of work to be done in any aspect varies tremendously from week to week........so it is very difficult to present to them a sort of I have X hours and there is Y hours of work scenario..........

Oh well - roll on the lottery win

• Afternoon all. We went to the bright lights of Bergerac this morning so only looking in now. There is a lot of stress for folk just now, isn't there? 

Podds, wasn't tryng to be a wise-mouth there, and I know how quickly you have to jump in whenever anything unusual happens. My only point is, make sure that if the proverbial hits the fan you can honestly say (and prove) that you have told your line repeatedly that you were unable to do everything expected in the time available, and since they  neither reduced your workload nor got you any support, anything that got missed 's down to them. Won't make you feel much better if something goes wrong, but should help you avoid being made a scapegoat. 

DL, no wonder you are incensed---and as Sluggie said, that goodness for FC6's sake that she's got you to fight for her now. I am sure the various social workers etc are doing their best, but it's not good enough. When Osborne stands up and brags about the financial recovery, I want to scream sometimes. What bliddy use is a recovery if none of the money get down to the people who need it???

{steps off soapbox, straightens collar, takes deep breath}

Daffs, not like you to sleep badly. Hope you're feeling better as the day goes on. 

FarFar, at least it's Wednesday afternoon---Monday is drawing further away, and Friday closer. Hang in there. 

Sluggie, pardon my ignorance, but what is SCS? Sounds like a worthwhile cause. And very glad to hear MS got a good night's sleep for a change. That will help him recover better than anything. 

Podds, meant to say, congrats again on your mentees! And also for continuing to support them. Something as basic as keeping them away from teachers who don't get on with them can make a HUGE difference. Both you and they should be proud!

Pippi, love your approach to social life. "I've also joined the Ramblers. So has Mr P but I'm not sure if he knows." Mr C sometimes finds he has unexpectedly joined things too image Hope the gob is feeling better. After Friday it should be fine. The crown is not a problem, and then you have a working toof again and can get on with the rest of your life. 

Melds, you must have needed that sleep! Glad the GPO cooperated for once image Your cartoon was spot on, of course. I sometimes think the ancient Egyptians were about right when they decided one of the gods was a cat. image

Coco, that is frankly bizarre. Someone is coming and there is no place to put them? So the boss winds up working at home???? I feel a rant coming on but will spare you, see my comments above!!

Larry, despite the weekend's accident, things are definitely getting better for you all the time, certainly compared to some times in the past. Hats off to you for grit and determination and the courage to keep going. xxx

Two Chuglets stuck in Leiden station this morning. Bomb scare (unidentified parcel) caused the whole station to be shut down. Turned out to be nothing, but you can't risk it. Just such a lot of hassle for loads of people! 

Friends coming for tea so Mr C chose a strawberry flan at the supermarket. Put it in the boot with the groceries. It's a twisty road back, and he likes to drive. Guess what happened to all the strawberries on top? Men---you gotta love 'em!!!! xxx

• 5 hrs sleep, back to work

need coffee image

• Too much partying Melds..... image

I know you weren't being a wise mouth Chuggs and you are absolutely right........ (as always image )

I have decided today that i need to attack my inbox (around 1,700 emails) because I fear there are genuine bits in there which need urgent attention..........

Everything else can wait................

Back later

**takes deep breath and dives back in**

• Yep - it is very bizarre, Chuggy.  The problem appears to be caused by one person "blocking" the system and I am very frustrated because it is not down to a lack of space per se.  There are plenty of rooms but some very complex moves going on across the organisation which appear to be blocking the acquisition of office space in a timely fashion for us and the one person who could speed things up for us is just flatly refusing to do so.

We may well have the same problem again later in the year unless it's been resolved fully by then, as we will be getting another member of staff to work on a new project in the summer.

• Not one of mine but impressive contortions........

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10612773_10152633050003231_6959987238337456902_n.jpg?oh=0712abbdb4d35169870b548b9d29d77a&oe=55249ED5&__gda__=1431563832_d78399c0844b0069c26c1e2ebc88744c

• Which way up is that?