Anyone else Hate running

Does anyone else here hate running but still do it? I started 4 years ago as i was fat and unfit and now run a few marathons a year. But i dont like running. I actually hate it on times and at best just do it.

Am I alone with this or do others hate it?

Comments

• The only thing I hate about running is the cost of physiotherapy.

And people who start at the front and go out at 10 min/mi.

And chafing.

And blisters.

Why bother doing something you hate?
  • Does seem odd to run let alone enter marathons when you hate it so much. I have bad runs when I don't like running, and when I'm inside nice and warm and it's freezing outside I wonder why would I want to do this. But in general I enjoy running and that's why I do it. 

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

As soon as I saw this subject line, I thought of you!

I hear ya. I have a love/hate relationship with running. I love the buzz of competing and achieving my goals but I actually hate the running bit and training!

As you know, I've been injured for so long so I would probably love it again if I could do it again!

• Does seem odd.

But there is a difference in what people think about something and what they feel while they're doing it. It's pretty normal not to necessarily be greeting the prospect of a run on a dark rainy windy night with whoops of glee. But generally once you're out there it's kinda fun!

Not always recognized, that - i.e. that things someone desires and anticipates / "hates" and dreads don't correspond necessarily to what they enjoy at the time or are glad they did.

So I do wonder, do you really hate it? Or do you just not think a lot of it when you're not doing it? If you don't like it at the time then goodness, isn't life too short for that ?! Take up tango or something! Be happy!

• Sorry, I love running. There's the odd run that seems like an exercise in endurance and I'm glad to get it over with, but I would never hate it!

Why do something you hate for fun? Find a sport you do like!

• I hated training for a marathon. I enjoyed the marathon itself and loved the sense of achievement at the end, but I hated the long runs once they got beyond 14 miles or so.

Consequently I've decided not to run another marathon. Instead I've done a lot of parkruns and a fair number of races of half marathon distance or less. I've enjoyed that a lot more.

I'd suggest having a good hard think about what you get out of running, what you hate and how you can adjust your running to enjoy it more.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Silly questions season is upon us!
  • Like chubby bloke, there are a few times when the run seems more of a chore (usually if the weather is awful, or I'm tired) but, in a way, running is a time to think, or daydream, and I enjoy it.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to cut back or cut out marathons after I complete the two I have entered this spring. I think I have to admit that I hate long runs over the half distance. I dread them and only get a sense of relief when they're finished, not enjoyment or achievement.

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with running, but in truth I think the hate part has been born of me constantly running marathons. My plan is to drop the distances. Halfs and ten mile races have always been my favourites. If I'm still not enjoying my running then I'll quit and do something else.

I think I got in the habit of thinking I needed to keep on going long and if anything it's burnt out my enthusiasm for running. Also unlike many I don't put the world to rights on a run. If I'm in a bad mood then I'll think about what ever is bothering me all run and finish feeling ten times worse, which as you can imagine is great fun if that happens on a 20 mile LSR!

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Why is it a silly question Gideon? Lots of people go the the gym, swim etc to keep fit/lose weight but hate it! He's just trying to canvas opinion...

• Am I alone in preferring the long runs - anything over 15 miles - to the shorter stuff? An attempt at a Parkrun PB fills me with greater trepidation than a 20 miler. Think I'm addicted to the marathon/long run and would feel quite lost without it. Mind you, being retired helps - would probably feel very differently if I had to do it after work.

• This really is not a silly a question Gideon.

I mean when I run its hard work, and often painful. the reason to still do it is that I enjoy life more since i have been fitter, and I need to enter races to make myself do it.

Shaz, you are right re the love hate thing as when I was injured I was wanting to get back out again. But then hated it when I did. I like the feeling after the run.

I just thought most people did not actually enjoy the physical aspect of running, but it seems they do.

Most people dont enjoy work but they do it !

• I haven't been running for a few years due to illness and really miss it. Sure there were times when I didn't want to get out but mostly I absolutely loved it! I got such a thrill out of it, some runs were just training but others, particularly if I travelled somewhere special, were just fabulous. Not sure when or even if I'll ever be able to start again but I haven't been able to let go of the desire to run.

• I don't understand why do running if you hate it. Try and find something that you like doing. I like challenging myself with people who are better, stronger and faster than me if I am competing in a race.

@Peter. I hope you get better soon!

• The feeling I first got when running at night, running in the rain, running early early morning when no one is awake has gone. I just run to keep fit now. 

Not to go OTT about it, but when you first do those things you feel a lot more alive. Like when I first when on a proper long distance bike ride. I got home and it felt like I'd lived in the wilderness for a month.

Running at night especially. I used to love it. The complete silence and the lingering feeling that something is out there!. Now it is just another time to go running.

Now I just go through the motions.

• Maybe you don't enjoy running so much now the initial rewards (the weight loss) aren't there.

I kind of know what you mean. Running is hard work especially a long run or a fast interval session. But with that comes the satisfaction of achieving a time or distance target which gives me great pleasure. If you genuinely hate it and only do it for fitness then I'm with the folks who say find a sport you like instead. Why?  A commonly quoted statistic is that (on average) one hour's running will add one hour to your lifetime. So if all the time gained has to be spent running then there's not much point if you aren't enjoying it, is there.

• Hmm, its obviously just me.image

But skylarker what about if you enjoy the other hours you are not running for the sacrifice of a few hours a week that i do run?I like the satisfaction of completeing a marathon or a good time obviously, but its not like any (i presume) of us here are going to win races or set records.

People dont like dieting, but people dont like being fat. I guess thats a good example.

• 'Run a few marathons a year.'

How many is a few?

I find two is about right, purely because the mileage HAS to be put in. Sun I 'have' to do 20miles. I don't like 'having' to do anything. I like to decide on a whim where, when and how far I'm going to run. At what speed and for what purpose.

Maybe you're suffering burnout.
  • Wenterrapin wrote (see)

but its not like any (i presume) of us here are going to win races.

Speak for yourself! I do like running though.

• literatin wrote (see)
    Wenterrapin wrote (see)

but its not like any (i presume) of us here are going to win races.

Speak for yourself! I do like running though.

LOL, I didn't know you would be lurking here Lit. Sorry I will change that to "most of us"

Tim R2-T2 wrote (see)
    'Run a few marathons a year.'

How many is a few?

Maybe you're suffering burnout.

only 10 marathons in 3 years.

I think I was suffering a burnout when I began. But the issue for me Tim is if i didn't "have" to do it then I wouldn't, which is why I sign up for races. 

• I love running in the Spring/Summer, hate it in Autumn/Winter....

...so I run in Spring/Summer, and get fat in Autumn/Winter

• Actually I did win a little age cat trophy once! (Not many runners in the event in question I admit.)

I guess it really depends what you mean when you say you hate running. Do you dread going out for your run and not enjoy it when you are out, whatever the distance, weather etc. Being as honest as possible, I sometimes don't feel like running but I usually look forward to a run. I almost always enjoy it once I'm out although if I'm racing I find myself yearning for it to be over because it is damn hard. I, like others upthread, find long runs pretty tough. Anything that is long enough to require gels/fuel is going to be hard going. After a run I always, absolutely always, feel glad that I got out.

If the only pleasure I took was the feeling of fitness and wellbeing then I think I'd try to find something that meets that need which I didnt "hate" doing.

• It takes me three miles to warm up. Then I start enjoying it.

Can you identify exactly what part of it you hate?

Maybe running with a partner would help.
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    This is a silly thread. Why would someone routinely do something they hate unless they are being paid to do so- as in going to work!
  • i think that the analogy of people hating dieting.. but hate being fat a good one..

people might well hate running... but hate the idea of getting fat and unfit more....

so they do it for a reason.

I don't hate running but i usually hate starting a run.. like now i would prefer to have an afternoon in bed but I know I should get into kit and do my recovery run....Its sunny out there at the moment as well

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I occasionally hate the odd training run on the plan either due to the type of session or just horrible weather but I don't hate them as much as I'd hate getting a poor race performance because I didn't put 100% effort into the training.

I played rugby for about 25 years and the older I got the more I started to hate it so I decided to retire at the end of last season. I enjoy watching the team play but don't miss playing, week in week out, at all.

If you think you really hate something stop doing it. You can always come back to it if you change your mind later on. As people have said, it's only a hobby and not your livelihood.
  • Mostly, I enjoy running.  I like the actual doing bit, not just the satisfaction of completing a run, or losing weight or getting a pb or whatever.  I like running.

But I found marathon training hard work. I've only done one marathon and I developed an injury during training so I was undertrained and the last hour of the race was deeply unpleasant.  At the time I didn't think I would do another, but now I think I probably will.  Next year.

If you are just doing marathon after marathon, year after year, then I can can fully understand that it would become a chore.  If you are training to your best for each race then you're likely to burn out.  If you're not training to your best and just jogging round time after time, what is the satisfaction in that?

I suggest you should focus on other things.  Set yourself a schedule of shorter distances over the summer.  Maybe be specific and target just 5k or 10k races, maybe look at trail races or cross country over the winter. Then train specifically for that and aim to achieve the best you can.

But, if you really don't like running, do something else.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I like running because I like being fit and in shape and can do this without much effort. I'm not so keen on competition if not in good shape, because I'm not the sort to go in a race and not give 100%. But basically I'm a runner.

There's some on this forum who run/train in order to compete. They don't like running. Running is a means to an end. They stick to training programs and relate how they fear, hate and dread what is next on the list. A session is something to endure and get out of the way. 

They are the sort who have two or three years burning everyone up, and then bugger off back to football or golf. They end up 20 years down the line, 8 stone overweight telling anyone in range how they used to beat xy &z at running.

Meanwhile xy & z are still running and competing and not overweight. They like running. They are runners. 

I wouldn't know how to describe the other guy. Not my area.

🙂

• RicF, bang on you have got it. I do the sessions in the training plans as a means to the end. Yes sessions are something to get out the way, like my 20 met this morning at 5:30am in the dark and snow, or the 2 midweek runs of 10 and 12 miles with LT miles.

Sounds like i should knock the running on the head. I have had my 3 years. (And can't quite break the 3hr marathon)
  • Gideon, a silly thread would be one where everyone agreed and had nothing to discuss. Just because you don't get it does not make it silly.